Pic unrelated

pic unrelated

So i'm 23 and i've been dicking my college time away doing nearly fuck-all for my education/career/future/etc. I have 1 1/2 years until my IS degree's finished and uni kicks me out of my current living arrangement (i know now it's a semi-meme degree but the piece of paper can't hurt), so I've decided to get off my ass and start a habit of self-learning/improvement/etc.
in terms of networking I think i want to specialize in routing or cloud service, and in terms of programming i want to learn FullStack and re-learn Java/C, but aside from A+/CCNx certs and finishing my current classes, I really don't know where to start.

Any suggestions on where to begin Jow Forums?

Attached: IMG_20181112_073051.jpg (602x468, 37K)

I'd start by asking Jow Forums's technology board how to be successful.

also, how bad did i fuck up by procrastinating until now to get into gear? Part of me's getting an itching feeling that "its too late" with no real explanation.

i've lurked here long enough to know Jow Forums is only 90% NEET's, not 100%. maybe the 10% will grace me.

bump

Attached: 1539395247185.jpg (1080x1350, 81K)

Diplomas are meaningless, develop your portfolio and get involved in outside projects. College is just a shell game to create indentured servants, sorry you got taken for a few years already OP.

it's fine, so long as it's not too late to do what i gotta do. It's not like nothing at all has happened these past 3 1/2 years, there's been a lot of growth, it just hasn't been very career-focused.

part of the problem is im unsure of my current knowledge base to get involved in internships and i wouldn't know where to seek external projects to join. I know im asking for a spoonfeed but i just need directions to the next town.

I recognize that bulge

You're fine.
Nobody really expects anything of interns, even entry level positions are fine as long as you don't bring toxic masculinity into the workplace.

imagine the smell...

Alright. Thank you for the reassurance.
im not a brapposter i swear

I'm turning 23 next month and haven't even finished high school, but have been working for 4-5 years. I really want to go back in school, but feel like I'm too old.
If it makes you feel any better you have it better than me.

Attached: 1536505650703.jpg (250x176, 4K)

I'm 31 and currently enrolled in school, it's fine really.

Instead of thinking in terms of what technical skills you want to acquire, start thinking in terms of what you want to do, and then develop the skills you need to achieve it. If you just learn skills, you will end up helping pursue someone else's dream instead of your own.

I'm in your position except I've been working at a local technology company doing web development for about a year now. If you're interested in cloud services or routing and want to do full stack, try learning a web framework. We use Django at work (inb4 basedthon), if you want to do Java, I hear that Spring is a pretty good one for that, there are a million php frameworks, and for the love of god write as little javascript as humanly possible. Just come up with a project you want to do, and figure out how to do it, you'll learn a lot along the way.

Attached: aM7pEVE.gif (425x400, 1.88M)

>but have been working for 4 or 5 years
pretty good thing to have under your belt. tbf it's never too late to snag a GED. sooner better than later, oc.
thats a good point, thanks for bringing that up.

>for the love of god write as little javascript as humanly possible
elaborate?

This user speaks the truth, do things you want and learn what you need to along the way, it's more fun at least

There are some things that you cannot do without javascript, think file upload percentage indicators.
>inb4 chrome and http2
Specifically I mean stay away from Node, it's a nightmare to work with, version changes break everything, managing dependencies is a nightmare. It's not pleasant to work with and breaks frequently.
Just don't abuse Javascript, basically is my advice, it is a tool for a specific purpose that has been co-opted into something awful.

the net amount of JS in the world must decrease
do not contribute against that

so trying to over utilize it just becomes an exponentially bigger mess.
>version changes break everything
alrighty then fuck that noise
I'm surpised you haven't said anything about PHP-related nightmares.

imagine punching both of them in the throat and watching them roll around on the ground gasping for air....

imagine being this poster

lol

but i am him

I've never worked with PHP, so I won't comment on it. I know a gut who writes everything and I mean everything in it, so I guess it has its uses. I know it is fucking fast though

>College is just a shell game to create indentured servants
tell this to a liberal arts student.

Please say sike.

Attached: 400.jpg (584x352, 137K)

Internships are good, but as someone who didn't apply to enough in time or 'know' the lingo for interviews, I can say your best bet is networking with teachers (or some school site) to find research. These days it's easier than ever due to interdisciplinary application of Machine Learning. Literally I started emailing a professor after I heard that a friend wasn't interested in working with him. He said yes, and that was that.

It's really probably about 20% neets, 70% regular faggots roleplaying as neets for "comedic purposes" and about 10% people making semi-useful posts.

Do it, maybe he will realize that there has been no considerable contributions to the field of art since decades.

You are what I was in 2008.

If you don't have the passion for it you won't make anything of it. It will be harder to learn it and you will feel like an idiot trying.

Find the one thing you like best and focus that. The job market doesn't care if you are a web developer that can do networking, nor are they looking for any other skill outside of the specific tasks they are looking for.

If you like solving novel problems learn programming. If you can't learn programming learn database administration, if you can't DBA learn networking, if you can't learn networking start working help desk and build up experience.

It's about finding a project you want to do and figuring out how to do it, not about acquiring random skills.

kek

Louis?