/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1531139686961.jpg (555x530, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

alien.slackbook.org/blog/setting-up-jack-audio-in-slackware/
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/Practices#Quoting
opensource.google.com/docs/thirdparty/licenses/#banned
dpaste.com/0HAXPWY.txt
dpaste.com/144993M.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for openBSD

Please avoid non-copyleft software, user. It doesn't protect your freedoms.

Attached: rms.jpg (1024x768, 198K)

from the previous thread. please halp.

also, I forgot to mention that my /etc/asound.conf file is an exact rip-off from the asoundrc sample found here: alien.slackbook.org/blog/setting-up-jack-audio-in-slackware/

You're mom gay.

linux makes me feel stupid when i break things, and slightly smarter when i fix them, then stupid again when my fixing amounts to "google until i find someone else who has had the same problem"

Attached: 1391399006825.gif (340x308, 1.91M)

Windows doesn't have this problem.

windows makes me feel nothing

How do i move my dotfiles properly?

I have my i3 configs the way I want it but when I move my config file to my laptop everything turns out broken

Attached: 1547049971372.png (1000x2000, 846K)

But free software under a non copyleft license is still a free software. In this case, OpenBSD is fully free unlike most of the GNU/Linux because of binary blobs in the kernel.

OpenBSD's ports contain propriety stuff as well.

aaaah why is ganoo linux so comfy

Cuz freedums.

is there a better way to do this (getting the filename without extension for use as a variable afterwards, not merging .srt and .mkv)
#!/bin/bash
for file in *.mkv ; do
mkvmerge -v -o /home/user/Desktop/$file -S $file ${file%.mkv}.srt
done

it works, but I'm curious for other solutions to handle the filenames/variables

Always quote your variables.

'/home/user/Desktop/$file' created a file named $file, not the content of the variable

basename -s .mkv

How can I make the scroll wheel on my G500 as accurate in Fedora 29 KDE as it is in Windows? I've googled, but I haven't found anything that works.

Double quote. mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/Practices#Quoting

i want to static link glfw and vulkan. how do i tell glfw where the sdk is?

Attached: no vulkan.png (828x563, 99K)

Linux sucks.

try GNU/Linux

${file##*.}

What do you mean accurate? Each scroll click just sends an number. How much more accurate can you be?

using this would mean an additional line and variable instead of working just with $file

nice, I'll bookmark that and read it thank you user

this returns only the extension, why would I need that instead of ${file%.mkv}?

Is Manjaro worth using?

Is life worth living?

No and no.

> t. 23 year old doomer

Why do you bother with DEs? Just open a terminal.

Every operating system is like this.

just give me emacs and a cat5 cable
everything else is botnet

Does opensuse have some issue with 1080tis or something? Because I got through the install and shit won't boot past boot loader

question: i use a x220 with fedora 29 since a few days. had ubuntu 16.04 before that. the os is installed on a msata ssd and i have a regular hdd for data storage (xfs, encrypted) inside. with ubuntu, the hdd went silent after a while when i wasn't using it, but with fedora it keeps active. any tips on how to change that? i want it to fall silent again.

nevermind, i found the standby settings in the gnome disk utility.

I want to like emacs, because I love Lisp/Scheme and it's basically a hackable scheme text editor.
But I really prefer vim style editing, and using emacs in evil mode makes me feel like a 2nd class citizen, or like I should be ashamed of myself for using it.
So then I just go back to vim.

I love GNU!

>everyone jumps github ship
>llvm works hard to move to github
Are they retarded?

I'm using KDE and when I click a folder ONCE it opens it, no matter what. I've made sure it's double click in the workspace settings and things on the desktop open with 2 clicks.

help this is absurd, why would they have this as the default

[spoiler]Use Xfce[/spoiler]

[spoiler]spoilers don't work on Jow Forums[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Any good reason for that?[/spoiler]

Hey bros, how do I make a bunch of containers created with systemd-nspawn connect to each other? All I can search up on is how to connect to the host, but I know that already.

Apparently I fixed it by spam clicking "double click" option and then when I opened dolphin it works now, or something?

welp

Maybe your mouse is dying.

Ahahaha, the penguin is Linux and the shit squirt is GNU!

If you don't want Google to use your free software project, take a look into their banned licenses. opensource.google.com/docs/thirdparty/licenses/#banned

>If you don't want Google to use your free software project
Yes please. At the moment google is basically the same shit as facebook. They don't deserve any help, they don't even deserve your data which you are giving to them on a daily basis.
>WTFPL
This one sounds reasonable.

Despite primarily being an archive viewer, MComix is surprisingly good for single images. It does, however, seem to lack GIF animation. I'd say it easily beats other simple GTK viewers, such as Ristretto, Eye of Mate, Mirage, GPicView, Viewnior, and LXImage.

Attached: mcomix.png (1257x911, 1.08M)

Go away your gay.

evil has all what vim offers and more. for quick edits use emacsclient in terminal. literally the superior editor

i just installed anki through octopi on manjaro but when i go to open it it just closes on me

post image set >>

all my programs are using different file managers. on firefox it has some file manager that shows image previews on the right side but for example in discord or in other programs where you can choose to open a file it opens some completely different shit. no theming at all and no image preview, seems like completely different filemanager.

i have installed thunar and when I query my default inode/directory it says Thunar-folder-handler.desktop. can anyone help please?

Ive got a hard drive with linux installed that i need to get stuff off of, could i boot linux from a usb on a windows pc with the hard drive plugged in and do it that way?

windows pcs can not boot the linux

yes

Alternate question, will a virtual machine work?

For me, it's Ubuntu.

I could use some help. This folder appeared in my home. I didn't add it myself, as far as I'm aware. How do I cd into it? How do I delete it?

I can't figure out the right name to interact with it, at all.

Picture is ls and cd with tab completion, the latter seems to recognize unicode.

Attached: folder-wat.png (257x281, 34K)

How do I change icon of a shell script on KDE Plasma? Right click->properties doesn't work

Attached: Screenshot_20190112_085204.png (839x924, 179K)

I want to reinstall arch fresh from a system already running arch. I have a live usb and for the past few days have been scouring the wiki and other places but I've had no luck finding out how to do so. Can somebody please tell me how to boot into the usb, delete all the shit on my computer, then reinstall arch from the USB like I did originally? I want to make sure I do everything right this time so I want to make the system as fresh and new and empty as possible similar to if it was my first time. Thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question, I really just can't find an answer.

Update
>
It did not work

Currently using Void, ran into two minor issues, which I couldnt figure out:
1) My web browser (icecat)doesn't display foreign languages anymore, like Greek/Georgian/Japanese. What software do I need to install to fix this? I don't remember what I uninstalled that made it riperoni.
2) I'm using a GUI package manager (Octoxbps), and I get a warning "there are no means to get admin credentials," even though i have an su frontend installed (gksu). Any work around to fix this?
Gracias anons.

use the ls output
it's giving you an escaped file name string, ready for copying and using in other commands

does
cd '^
not complete the file name?

the trackpad on my debian laptop is fucked and starts being erratic after a few hours. putting the laptop in sleep then waking it seems to solve the problem until it happens again.

how can i diagnose and fix this?

Yeah, it RESPECTS your freedoms, but it doesn't PROTECT your freedoms.

>eselect news read
No news is good news.

Attached: 1533951001680.jpg (540x393, 15K)

>binary blobs
>binary binary large objects

Does anybody know a good way to setup an RDP to connect on my Windows PC to my Debian 9 stable setup?

>is so advanced that he needs such a niche distribution
>doesn't know how to solve his simple problems
Fucking poser.

What are some of the best good-working KDE Themes?

Tried Materia due to a recommendation, are there others?

Cute gentoos you got there
I identify as a gentookin i therefore find this image offensive, as it promotes sexual repreentation of my identification.

Attached: images.jpg (275x183, 4K)

How do I configure my volume keys in I3wm? I have a t430? I'm just starting trying ti go DE-less

muh dick

Jesus christ, they tell you how on their website. Or just lookup someones config on github.

>pic related is you

Attached: 1542268535093.jpg (483x461, 31K)

>on github
Why do you assume that Github is a central place where people post their i3 window manager configuraiton files?

>DE-less
>is slowly installing and adding all functionality that a "DE" has
The only x-less thing you have is being brainless.

When did I say it was?

pls

Literally in the post above, you fucking mongrel. Look here .

>Or just lookup someones config on github.

Anyone has problems updating libtorrent-rasterbar in Void Linux? Looks like xbps can't find the signature, tried with the other repos, not sure if the problem is mine or not since that package was updated 11h ago.

I said the retard could look up i3 configs on there, not that it was the main/only place. I feel sorry for the people who raised you.

Attached: 1517534383558.png (734x590, 344K)

works for me on x86_64-musl
i sometimes get weird failures like that but they're always solved by trying again a few times (preferably with -S)

Guess I'll wait and see if it solves itself, haven't updated in a while.

I think we can drop the friendly now

>so advanced
Never claimed i was.
>fucking poser
Rope yourself from your gauged earlobes, cunt. Using any distro isnt making a statement...

Because it just works, freeing you of labor, exactly what computers were meant to be in the first place.

What have (You) done recently to promote the use of a GNU/Linux operating system?

Why did Xubuntu change all its icons from Blue to Beige and how do I get the blue ones back?

Is there an audio player use for ricing?
I'm using Audacious, but I'd like something that has a built in folder viewer to browse through music or something really minimal

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-12 09-49-45.png (809x424, 74K)

Fresh install of arch, can't get X server running. I installed xorg, xorg-server and xorg-xinit. Whenever I run startx it ends up kicking me out to login screen. I don't find any errors in the log. Not real sure what to do, tried a reinstall of everything and I have had it running fine before on this laptop
Any ideas?

what do you have in your .xinitrc? remember; if the script ends, so does the X session, so if it's empty, or calls something that doesn't exist, you're not going to get far

Stupid fucking system thinks this post is spam so I'm having to post a link to my question. Fuck hiromoot.
dpaste.com/0HAXPWY.txt

Holy shit, yup that was it. Thanks a ton my brother

I use "elementary Xfce dark" icons in Xubuntu, but once I updated I noticed the folder icons all changed from blue to beige.

How do I find that particular icon-theme to use again?

Does it work if there's only 1 url in the file instead of 2?

My answer in another link because again it thinks it's spam. Sorry for the trouble.
dpaste.com/144993M.txt

But I'm guessing even though it works, it only archives 1 thread?
I think your problem is missing quotes somewhere. Probably in the script you need quotes around the $()