What's the best way to go about learning Python?

I have some knowledge of the HTML, CSS languages (I know, I know) but I dont know dick about object-oriented ones. Baby's fiwst wanguage.

Attached: python.png (2000x2000, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
edx.org/course/python-basics-for-data-science-ibm.
jakevdp.github.io/WhirlwindTourOfPython/
ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-0001-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-in-python-fall-2016
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Depends on what you want to use it for. If you want webdev, learn JavaScript first, then come back and ask the same question. A good resource that teaches JS, reviews html/CSS AND teaches Python is the free CS50s webdev course by Harvard. You can enroll (free) or just watch their videos/project assignments on the CS50 website (also free) or their jewtube channel. If what you want is data science there's a popular course by IBM called Python for data science or something like that. They're all on edx

Pick up some book or a course. (google is your friend here) Do what it says.

if i want to build an app for myself to retrieve data and the like would I need to build a UI or could I do it through a terminal. Sorry if retarded question.

You can do anything through the terminal, but sometimes you need a gui for ease of use. I recommend this book greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/ coupled with this course edx.org/course/python-basics-for-data-science-ibm. There's a lot of other popular free courses on coursera and Udacity, like Python for Everyone by the university of Michigan

thanks! python 2 or 3?

Learn a proper language

2 is antiquated and will hit end of life on 2020-01-01.

Thanks for your thoughtful insight

>cant compile if you mix tabs and spaces
pytards will defend this

The best way to learn python is to not. Download MS Visual Studio instead.

Dubs of truth.

And then what

learn C#

Literally just use Google. God damn.

Jupyter notebooks + docs

Do not do this, OP.

Then use the excellent integrated design environment to learn one of its Built-in languages which include C, C++, C++/CLI, Visual Basic .NET, C#, F#, JavaScript, TypeScript, XML, XSLT, HTML, and CSS.

Which would you recommend and what materials would you suggest learning it with?

If you want to build computer applications then Visual Basic. If you want to program video games then c, c++. If you want to code websites then javascript, and html, and I do not know what xml and css are for though they are Web standards. What materials? Um, a personal computer and a monitor and a mouse and keyboard. And then enrol on a programming course at your local education centre.

Attached: anees-khan-student-graduate-profile.jpg (600x450, 32K)

And then you're going to need a leather satchel.

Attached: MG_3259-as01a-800.jpg (800x800, 557K)

And a cardigan.

Attached: rBVaG1oRnQGAc_q2AAM1xrl1YTY357.jpg (600x600, 82K)

And some biro pens.

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x225, 13K)

What about socks I heard somewhere I need socks to program or some bull shit

Then you'll end up working somewhere like here.

Attached: Warranty-dept-300x169.jpg (300x169, 10K)

This is how gay you might end up looking. Genuinely socks went out with the Amiga. For some reason with the rise of Web development socks went into decline. It's a millenial thing I guess.

Attached: tumblr_n84fs3Vk2E1r66csno1_500.jpg (500x750, 77K)

Get this

Attached: lrg.jpg (500x656, 72K)

Jazzology is where you're going, really.

Attached: 41YkvVcCfEL._SR600 315_SCLZZZZZZZ_-1.jpg (232x315, 22K)

If you already know some programming, you can try going through this. I found it quite helpful when I picked up python.

jakevdp.github.io/WhirlwindTourOfPython/

I know this is bait but I'll bite:

People who think this shit in real life are insufferable faggots who have 0 concept of how much abstraction there already is between them programming in "real" languages bare metal. The amount of abstraction that's achieved by going from logic gates to C is fucking astronomical, and you could probably never achieve writing a C compiler from bare metal in your entire life if it weren't for the work of hundreds of years of mathematicians working all this shit out for you. Comparatively, the jump from C to Python is minuscule in the grand scheme of things. Sure it might abstract away a few data structures and make things nicer to use, but it's nothing compared to carefully organizing bits of sand together in such a way that they perform actual computation.

Computer science and abstraction are tied together at the hip. Losers who can't understand that the continuous abstraction of mathematics is the very essence of computing are the most obnoxious fucking faggots in the world. The losers who can't understand that it's actually harder to think abstractly are the funniest of them all. Sure you can do the equivalent of hand-holding a modern abacus. You're not accomplishing anything by reinventing the wheel for the thousandth time, you're just doing it because someone needs some retarded shit to be fast, but you're not furthering the field of computer-science. You're not developing new fucking algorithms in C, you're implementing something that someone (far smarter than you) has already thought of in a slightly different flavor just so you can get a paycheck.

3. Not only 3 is a better language, but 2 is legacy and won't be supported soon. By using it, you further the divide.

Check out automate the boring stuff with python. It's free online and the intro chapters are a great crash course

automatetheboringstuff.com

Don't even think about doing anything else, until you've used this site.

There are so many employment opportunities in the computing and IT sector.

ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-0001-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-in-python-fall-2016

Also try some pandas tutorials - pandas, numpy and tensorflow is where python, as a dynamic typed scripting glue for statically typed compiled way too complex crap shines.

Remember, that Python is only good as such kind of a glue (and it is being used in this way by very smart guys).

glad to see my post became a pasta

Attached: Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 16.55.43.png (1369x217, 130K)