I fucked up

Guys help, I plugged in a hard drive from a broken laptop into my pc to try to recover files and now my pc won't even power up, does anyone know what happened or how bad it might be?

Attached: IMG_4635.jpg (1280x720, 86K)

You need to find a working PC to reprogram the firmware and bring the mainframe back online.

Did you unplug it and try again? It’s probably changed the boot order or some shit in the bios.

I removed the laptop hard drive and made sure everything was as it should be and nothing, still won't even power up.

>won't even power up
assuming it's not this, otherwise user would just get some "no os found" error

sounds like you knocked out a power cable or something while installing the hard drive into your pc, i'd check all the cables. I don't think this kind of situation could fry your pc

I checked, I unplugged and replugged the power cables and nothing.

Motherboards and PSUs should have short circuit protection in case a harddrive shorts, there's still a possibility that a shorted harddrive killed their the PSU or the motherboard, motherboard is unlikely current should be limited, PSUs usually just cut the current in case of short circuit and turn back on after powering off and on.
Did you try to unplug the power cable for 10 secs and plug again?
Also check the PSU fuse if your PSU has a fuse.

Attached: 1533100631402.gif (350x314, 2.06M)

oh, there's also a possibility the harddrive sent 12V through the SATA rails, if that's the case then the board is probably dead

What are the chances it killed my pcs hard drive? I had it plugged into the same power cable.

Let me think, if the bad drive sent 12V through the 5V rail, then we have 12V going into the good drive's 5V rail, which can kill a hardrive, BUT
we also have a potential difference from the 12V rail to the 5V, so the PSU has to deal with the reverse current now how does the PSU deal with it?
The PSU is basically a PWM regulated transformer with multiple taps for multiple voltages so if you short the 12v to the 5V on the secondary...
OK I'm not very good at this and i may be wrong so I made a drawing to help me understand, so basically if you just short the secondary it shouldn't kill your good drive from the power rails since the 7V becomes 0V when shorted. Of course that's an oversimplified view of a PSU there's also rectification stage and I think linear regulator for the 5V, so idk, but should be fine.
The sata rails on the other hand if the bad drive sent 12V through the sata rails then it all depends how motherboard's sata controller is implemented.
Still I think thing that's unlikely, it's probably either the board or PSU that broke, did you check the fuse?

Attached: tegaki.png (400x400, 12K)

Before I fuck anything else up, how do I check the fuse?

Also here's the inside of my pc in case I did actually knock something loose and didn't realize.

Ignore the lose 3.0 cable, I broke the clip for that years ago.

Forgot picture

Attached: IMG_4637.jpg (3264x2448, 2.68M)

Some PSUs have a fuse inside them, though those are usually meant to protect things on the primary side for shock protection and to prevent tripping the breaker and protecting the equipment. But still it's worth a check but better yet you can test the PSU just by unplugging it from the motherboard and with a piece of wire plug connect the green wire PS_ON to a black GROUND, if the PSU turns on and fans start blowing then it likely means your PSU is good and your board is dead.

Attached: download (1).png (454x411, 13K)

Oh, I forgot some PSUs only start if they have a load on it so PSU may not powerup when shanting the green and black and still be good, though I think that's only the case with older PSUs, eitherway if PSU turns on when shanting the green with black then it means board is dead (or some loose connection).

Oh thank fuck the fan didn't come on.
Also fuck, that was a $130 power supply.

try plugging power cord to electrical grid

take the battery out of the motherboard for a minute or so
put it back in
boot the machine up

Attached: cmos.jpg (92x118, 4K)

Also check the PSU button in the back is in the ON position.

>Let me think, if the bad drive sent 12V through the 5V rail, then we have 12V going into the good drive's 5V rail,

Wrong, fag breath. If it sent 12 up a 5v rail then you would get a 7v spike. Not enough to damage a hard drive

If you do this you'll lose the BIOS config and the time, and in the end you'll probably solve nothing as the BIOS is clearly not the culprit here.

Since you seem to know a lot about this, any theories on what happened to the laptop hard drive?

My laptop was running fine until I opened it a couple days ago and the screen was dark and the power failure light code was flashing, as well as none of the fixes for that were working.

Why 12V and not 20V or 13.5V? AFAIK hard drives and optical drives are powered to 5V.

Power failure light code?
idk what you mean by power failure light code but from what I understand when you opened the laptop some conductive thing may have caused the harddrive to short it's 12V pins with the 5V.
No, they are powered with a combination of 12V and 5V, apart from laptop drives which only use 5V but they still have the 12V pins due to standard connector.

Not them but let's suppose your HDD is toasted and plugging it causes a shorth in the molex/power cable. The PSU will cut power and look like dead. Then you can unplug the PSU and plug it again (without the bad drive) and everything should be fine. Quality hardware should be fine too.

Yeah, I use computers PSUs as general power supply for multiple things and I keep shorting them all the time and never had a PSU to fry because of it, like I said before PSU should have protection.
Possibility of hardrive sent 12V to the sata ports and frying mobo seems more likely, but then PSU should turn on when shanting the green and black, unless it's one of those PSUs that only power on with a load.

get an hdd docking station, new psu, and a usb for future use.
but sounds like that drive is haunted.
You should make a circle of sea salt then draw the sign of the orthodox cross on it. hold a cross and scream the power of christ compells you for an hour at it.
plug into hdd dock.
see if it works.

It's a corsair cx600m if that gives you any idea.

HP laptops have blinking light codes for hardware malfunctions, mine was giving me the power issue code.

>HP laptops have blinking light codes for hardware malfunctions, mine was giving me the power issue code.
That would make sense, if the harddrive is in short circuit it would cause voltage drops on the laptop triggering power issue detection.
That probably also means the 12V pins aren't responsible to what happened probably meaning your mobo is still alive. I just don't understand is how did a short circuit manage to kill the PSU, I short those all the time it usually just turns off and then just need to unplug from mains and plug again and works.
Also try this one of the first things I would do personally-

Jesus fucking Christ Anons I'm going to find where you live and suck your dicks, I unplugged the hard drive and powered the power supply and it came to life, I just turned it on and my hard drive has not been electro-fucked.

Attached: IMG_4638.jpg (3264x2448, 1.6M)