Halp

> be me
> installs gentoo
> shit laptop from 2010
> 464521489564165854 years for it to install

Fuck it, is there a normal calamares installer with everything precompiled?

BTW fuck the faggot that told be to do it.

Attached: téléchargement.jpg (219x230, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Choosing_the_right_profile
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Stage#MAKEOPTS
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA

>he fell for the gentoo meme
anotha one bites teh dust

Attached: 1536520371650.jpg (1234x1070, 87K)

fuck off, i didn't fell for the meme, i just got told that gentoo was more lightweight that arch because
> shit laptop from 2010
where every kb of mem is important.
Also, it looked like a great distro.

Now end me.

Attached: sad.png (224x225, 7K)

Please tell me you aren't installing it on your main hard disk.

Attached: 1938283742739.gif (315x236, 1000K)

OH NO NO NO NO

Nah, it's on a 10 gigs partition

FUCK I JUST CHECKED IT'S ON /dev/sda NOT /dev/sda5 FUCK FUCK FUCK

Please tell me you have created that partition on your functioning OS, before starting with the installation.

Attached: anigif_enhanced-17543-1415660166-15_preview.gif (625x352, 150K)

i started everything on /dev/sda.

f

no fuck you by not knowing how to read instructions from a simple manual
go back to ubuntu you cunt

i touched num lock, i deserved to kill myself for using a numpad not for being a dumb cunt

>be me
>install gentoo
>shit laptop from 2008
>10 minutes to install
PEBKAC

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

If you have a rooted android phone, download DriveDroid from the Play Store and then download the latest available Ubuntu .iso from here. Eject the image from your phone and there you have a bootable OS that takes 5 minutes to install.

After you have done with installing Ubuntu download a recovery software like EaseUS you should be able to recover most of the deleted files from the format.

Install Ubuntu

I use gentoo

Don't wory i backed up everything, i don't want to live another arch episode that gave me PTSD by loosing 500Gb of personal data.

Install Arch

You're learning

???

Attached: whaaaat.png (239x211, 9K)

edit : my dumb fuck ass cant count or read, i ment

edit edit : kill me.

Gentoo is an old Jow Forums meme. It has a very old history starting since the creation of this board. Basically Gentoo was a great distro years ago (a lot) but at the moment it's just too impractical for daily use and should be considered only if you are an hobbyist with a spare hard disk (NEVER install it on a main hard disk, partitions or not, or you will be fucked by it sooner or later just like on Arch with pacman).

Quick rundown about Gentoo:
>be a great distro during the paleozoic periods
>freetards flooded the board telling people to install it (unironically)
>brainlets fucked up their PC because of the insane installation process (no handbook back then)
>as the years go by gentoo became more and more obsolete as freshier and easier to use distros like Ubuntu stole the spotlight
>contrarian nostalgiafags couldn't accept Linux becoming more mainstream so they started shitposting about Gentoo
>"install gentoo" meme is created
Present day:
>winlets are bored of using windows since they were sucking on their mom's tits
>Gentoo shitposters more alive than ever
>"i wanna be cool and hip like those gentoo users"
>no backups, zero prior experience with Linux, handbook existence gives them false confidence (it's well-made but intricated as hell)
>infinite fuel for memes and screencaps

Gento doesn't offer any real advantage compared to even the easiest to learn distros like Ubuntu or Mint. I've used Gentoo for a few years on a secondary SSD, perfectly installed and configured everything manually to fit my machine's specs but the compile times not only aren't faster but even slower compared to other more mainstream distros. The flag settings are outdated, predesignated and aren't worth compared to all the cons that come with this distro. It's a cool distro to have on a spare hard disk get your hands dirty with source code and learn more about how an operative system works but that's it.

Attached: Install+gentoo_9f19be_4815663.jpg (766x758, 242K)

b8/8

I installed Gentoo once. Big mistake.

What's wrong with gentoo? I considering switching to it now. I guess long compile time will be a problem only during installation, browser and maybe IDEs.

Why should I not /instalgentoo/?

Why would you want to install Gentoo?

>Why should I not /instalgentoo/?
You should NOT install Gentoo, imho, if at least one of the following is true:
>you don't need/don't care about the additional flexibility it provides compared to most other distributions
>you have an extremely old machine (Pentium 4 or earlier) and you don't know how/don't want to set up a distcc/cross compiler
>you believe its goal is to "learn Linux", when in fact it's not. Its goal is to provide you with many choices about your OS, and making it easy to change/apply them.

Otherwise, go right ahead and don't bother with pasta baits such as .
I've been using Gentoo for years now, and I've had problems only twice, both of which were my fault (panic due to kernel misconfiguration). Going back to any other distribution now feels like a downgrade.
Installation and initial configuration aren't actually that hard, since the documentation is solid, but it's true that they do take a long time, especially on older machines.
But if you do everything properly, that's only an initial overhead. I haven't touched anything in months and my machines run fine. A well-tailored setup will also save you time in the long run.

you're not supposed to actually install gentoo, especially not a machine like that.

Attached: chadandbetalaughing.jpg (600x532, 40K)

Because once you install it you'd be doing the exact same thing as if you installed Debian or something anyway.

>>you don't need/don't care about the additional flexibility it provides compared to most other distributions
ignore this meme

I installed Gentoo on an old Dell from 2009 for a wheeze.
Rough times to compile:
>Minimal kernel - 40 mins
>X - 90 mins
>Chomium - 4320 mins
It's really not viable on older machines, just use Arch instead if you want muh minimalism.

Attached: compile_times.jpg (600x337, 35K)

Try Clover. Uses binaries and a very minimal setup.

>Going back to any other distribution now feels like a downgrade.
t. pic related

Gentoo is the downgrade, not viceversa.

Attached: CrILrEh.jpg (1423x2136, 300K)

Just use cloveros

>le neckbeard argument
Pottery.

>arch is minimal
here we go again

It's not a meme considering that something as basic as changing the default init system is as easy as changing profile in Gentoo, same as installing different package versions, while it's not nearly as trivial in most popular distributions.
Gentoo is unironically easier to use.

just run redcore and vasile that shit lil slut

Install CloverOS

Attached: IMG_20190109_221238.jpg (2688x1512, 556K)

I bet you made the same mistake. in this part
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Choosing_the_right_profile
I advise you to NOT choose any profile that isn't the default. because
Available profile symlink targets:
default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop
for example will make you compile EVERYTHING that you MIGHT need on a desktop, qt and gtk libraries for example. it's better to choose only one of them and use the proper software for it.
also make sure you know the correct number of Cores/Threads of your CPU and configure your MAKEOPTS accordingly
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Stage#MAKEOPTS

Attached: 1533605090038.png (1000x1000, 432K)

Memes aside, is it a good distro for low-end computers?

whre's my satori wallpaper chiruno guy? no fate whore deserve's more love than my little satorin.

I got pissed off at work yesterday and forgot. I'll write it on my hand today so I won't forget.

I does everything I need it to do, without having to compile, and generally a lot easier to use than most of the distros I have used in the past.

Attached: IMG_20190112_172255.jpg (1512x2688, 572K)

Install slackware