Tessellation

Remember when tessellation was the "next big thing"?

What ever happened to it, did it ever take off?

Was it the RTX of 2009?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1280x800, 461K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sapphirenation.net/effects-games-tesselation-hdr-depth-field/
gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2180-fallout-4-volumetric-lighting-benchmark-and-disable
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ray tracing is actually good. Not in it's current state, but as a technology. But no, it's not taking off now. Maybe in 4 years.

The fact it isn't mentioned doesn't mean no games use it.
Like 95% of newer games use it.

Wasn't it because of amd's tressfx? What ever happened to that?

Tessellation is a glorified mostly fixed function gimmick. Just like how fixed function vertex pipelines were turned into vertex shaders, expect tessellation to go full software in the next little while.

In fact Turing is already starting this process with compute-like task/mesh shaders that can replace the whole vertex/tess./geom. part of the pipeline.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat
Crysis 2
Metro: Last Light
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Hitman Absolution
sapphirenation.net/effects-games-tesselation-hdr-depth-field/

Hairworks used in The Witcher 3 used tessellation
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has an option
Far Cry 3 has it but isn't toggle-able in the options menu

Water in Kingdom Come: Deliverance uses tessellation

Most games use tessellation. It's now a standard thing so nvidia can't advertise their shitty hardware with it.

Fallout 4 used it for light-shafts (God-rays) and I imagine Fallout 76 has as well
gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2180-fallout-4-volumetric-lighting-benchmark-and-disable

>What ever happened to it, did it ever take off?
It's commonly used, so yes it "took off"

>Not in it's current state,
Do you know how many CGI movies used Ray-Tracing?
It's only a matter of computing power to make it real time.

OP is talking about RTX, Nvidia implementation of Ray Tracing. I'm talking about the same thing. Nvidia implementation, in its current form is not good enough and is not improving graphics in such a way that's completely obvious to your average consumer. And for the enthusiasts, it tanks performance too much to be generally worth it.

And you think they're different?
As I said, it's just a matter of more computing power.

Oh, ok, you don't actually know what you're talking about if you think all Ray Tracing technologies are the same.

>STALKER
>Metro
I liked these games better when I switched to nvidia.

all tessellation ever did was shit on amd

they're very very very different things, RTX is a simulated ray tracing effect that has a fraction of the fidelity of actual industry standard ray tracing.

>What ever happened to it, did it ever take off?
Every game these days supports it.

it was just a way to make a gtx 580 look slow around 2010

metro 2033 was it?

Almost all games use tessellation now, it's just considered standard and not really mentioned anymore.

You guys fell for a big meme by the way. Tessellation is basically an optimizing trick rather than some sort of special feature that makes everything look good, like GI. The idea is that instead of having a static high-poly model you can have low poly model and basically edit it back at run time towards the high poly original by having the GPU subdivide and smooth the mesh towards an approximation of the original, using data stored in maps and materials and so forth. Geometry is trivial nowadays since GPUs can push millions of polys in a scene, and we're in the age of lighting improvements but it's still useful for developers, even if it's not mentioned it's being used I'm sure.

LMAO OP, most games use tessellation now. Its ubiquitous.

It's used in pretty much every game, but it's subtler (better implemented), and retards like you don't even notice it.

the bricks in crysis 2 were amazing

Parallax killed it.

Attached: crazy-textures-st-09.jpg (1600x1600, 695K)

This.
It's the same with GPU particles. They were all the rage, and everybody pushed to put these obnoxious swirling vector field particle systems until people realized how to use them, and now they're all over the place, and you can barely tell because they're just there looking really good.

DAT POM

Attached: watchv=kBx6_3yLKJU-[00.07.641-00.38.505].webm (854x480, 2.69M)

It's still used regularly to allow for easy scaling of detail.

Physics > graphics. I'd take the graphics or image quality of 2010 but a far more advanced and more interactive physics. It's all scripted or just visual effects these days. Also shitty servers can't handle the consistency of physics between multiple clients online. Fuck those lazy ass publishers and developers and engineers.

>Also shitty servers can't handle the consistency of physics between multiple clients online. Fuck those lazy ass publishers and developers and engineers.
i'd like to hear your proposed solution to exceeding the speed of light

I don't get paid to pitch my theories and ideas, so no. Also this has nothing to do with speed of light, maybe with the fiber optics.

not him but new multiprocessor/multicore architecture soon will have to be developed, like having multiple multicore processors interconnected directly to cpu buses (prgramming paradigm will have to change too) so that game data/levels/user input of at least 1000 to 10000 users etc are loaded on a single server and processed in constant time and then data sent back to those users over internet, so that whole 10k or more users can interact in the game at the same time on the same server

Even Civilization V has tessellation

ESLs really need to be banned on Jow Forums. It's like talking to little children.

MOST games, new and old use tessellation, what changed was gpu acceleration

Tessellation got weaponized which fucked everything hard.

parallax with tessellation is where it's at. but the problem is tessellation is never used in good ways, its always used in ways that just pisses fps away for no reason. look at anything in a game that is round, and when you see lines in geometry and the game has tessellation, they are using it wrong.

>Also this has nothing to do with speed of light
Yeah it does
Even if you get 100% efficient networking there's still going to be lag, which is the inherent problem you're complaining about, you can only hide lag via exploiting cheap tricks in the game design

multiplayer games problems come from network issues, has nothing to do with the power of the server, modern CPUs can easily handle thousands of players, sending the data through the network is the hard part

>multiplayer games problems come from network issues, has nothing to do with the power of the server, modern CPUs can easily handle thousands of players, sending the data through the network is the hard part
yes the latency of average internet connection is often too high, thats why they have to use prediction, udp, and direct communications between players, thats why by radically upgrading servers the processing time can also be cut radically

none of those things have anything to do with server processing time

tressFX is for hair, not tessellation

Games use it and cards support it. It isn't talked about a lot because it's just another feature that new cards are assumed to have. Like every other optional DirectX feature, games will generally run fine if it's missing but look less nice.

Your dumbass have no idea how network works. So you think everyone have fiber optics running 10G connected directly to the server will have no issue with complex physics ?

is that supposed to be a road?