Android thread

in which we reminisce about the good old days of cyanogenmod, talk about all the cool things we are currently doing with our rooted devices, and consider the future of android and mobile technology.

i personally don't have much going on other than programming an app. i'm currently running lineageOS android 7.0 on a verizon HTC one m9 (fuck verizon).

Attached: cwm-recovery.jpg (1195x1600, 364K)

I have a Moto G5 Plus running Pie thanks to ArrowOS. I will never ever buy a phone I can't root and bootloader unlock.

what are the most "hackable" devices available right now? and how can we combat the trend of locked down bootloaders?

Attached: 3840243129834.jpg (360x600, 28K)

Right now, mostly Xiaomi devices since.. India and shit.

Android 4.4.4 and 6.0.1 were the best.
Don't @ me.

Got a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro running Pixel Experience 9.0, much faster than that damn MIUI which is full of ads and get like 10 hours of screen on time. Currently waiting for an official Pie version of lineageOS for redmi note 5 pro, so.. Guess i'll stick with Pixel Experience by then.

It's not wise or worthwhile to root your device in 2019.
Prove me wrong.

whats the best option if you like the android devices but dont like using google services more than you have to.

>ArrowOS
what is this and how is it different to stock G4 Plus OS?

Unironically google devices.

OnePlus

I love my comfy iPhone.

Good for you, but this is an android thread.

almost all popular smartphone brands are unlockable although it voids warranty

lineageos then just install atleast gapps pico which is only the playstore and go full fdroid

For proper adblocking without the use of some shitty VPN you need root. This is worth it alone.

Pic related is enough of a reason for me.
Also the stupid fucking apple 3.5mm dongle needs root to work properly on android.

Attached: Screenshot_20190112-230233.png (1440x2560, 136K)

Just found out about Lucky Patcher. Is it any good? Can you find non malware versions of it somewhere? Seems pretty sketchy. What's your experience.

whatever happened to CWM?

i heard pe 9.0 was buggy

it used to be, like 3-4 years ago, you could actually hack games and get coins and shit. but now, not so much.

then again i havent used it in a year or 2

Android users today will never know the excruciating process of rooting back during 2.1. No GUIs, weird button combinations, and the feeling of accomplishment when you see the blue skating android logo of Cyanogenmod.

Xiaomi and especially Poco since unlocking boatloader doesn't void warranty.

I'm using it for atleast 2 years, it works. The official website is luckypatchers.com . License verification removal and in-app purchase emulation are really useful. There also other features, even custom patches for popular apps.

Attached: Screenshot_20190112-231606__Lucky_Patcher_.png (1048x877, 65K)

So guys what's the easiest way to root a device? Be advised I'm terrible with technology. Thanks.

>unlock bootloader (if necessary)
>flash recovery
>flash magisk from recovery
>install magisk manager
That's it

I used it for 2 months and no bugs at all. Also tested around 10 more ROMs and only 4 had no bugs, including PE

very based thread, deserves a bump. I have an
original Wileyfox Swift running crDroid Pie, but I have the CM11 boot animation as a reminder of the good old days with based Holo UI

hell yeah man. the good ol' days

Attached: coolcity.jpg (2650x1024, 765K)

cheers man!

LineageOS for microG is one of the best things ever.

Had a droid one with cyanogen back in the day, really miss the feel of those older versions. Don't feel like the community is the same anymore, it used to be that android was this awesome new open platform. now it feel like its just googles mobile OS and nothing more.

New ROMs are way more stable and flashing them has become way more reliable. We even got universal ROM zips, although dedicated ROMs are still better at the moment. I don't miss those days, and I've been using nothing but custom ROMs since 2013.

Oneplus(all of them) and xiaomi(most non-flagships and some flagships like poco). You have to wait days to unlock bootloader on xiaomi phones though.

Does this work with magisk root?

I have a Google Pixel 2 XL and the modding community is shit. Been waiting for a decent Lineageos rom for fucking ever

No one cares tripfag

> cwm not magldr
cuck

It just werkz. For the most reliable results you have to also install the modded play store from it. I mostly use it to remove Google play services dependencies from apps and to quickly get over games with microtransactions(when you have everything they become boring as fuck and I nuke them). Also check out game guardian.

Attached: Screenshot_20190113-024549.png (1080x1920, 224K)

vanced works on non-rooted devices though

Used to fiddle around with custom roms for a long time back when I got the Galaxy S Advanc, all the tinkering was nice and the tinfoil hat was comfortable to be upon my head but there always was a bug or wifi not working or some thing, since then I own a Moto G and a G5Plus with stock + xposed and works pretty nice.

psst, newfag, check this out

Attached: 1535532931872.png (1008x955, 368K)

good old cwm although twrp is the way to go now. in the past it was exciting, rooting. i remember rooting my galaxy spica and putting cyanogenmod on it. it was awesome to suddenly have animated wallpapers, multi-touch and more. nowadays on my opo i still got minor uses for root like: backing up appdata with titanium backup, fiddling with the cpu, using game guardian on some games. fun stuff.

forgot another important one. having slightly better privacy and ad free experience using a local firewall, afwall+. pretty handy for free apps using ads or unnecessary permissions.

I bought a pixel 5" refurb for a decent price, I didn't realize there were models with oem unlock disabled by carriers. So I'm pretty salty about that since I miss lineage.

I resurrected my one plus one that I broke screen on, running the last release of CyanogenMod which is super comfy. I enjoy the feeling much more than my pixel

Why did you choose PE over LOS?

Hmm, i think the only things i need that require root is files access, adblocking and firewall. Orbot kept crashing and was too much hassle. Oneplus was most straightforward. Xperia a pain.

is greenify still relevant?

yes. i use it.

still mostly the same shit just with TWRP and Lineage instead. even my fucking mediakek phone got bootloader unlock and root.

this guy gets it

Companies locking down bootloader's is becoming more common now desu

Yeah im using it with magisk desu, the in app purchase thing doesn't always work. It works on the illya alarm app though :3

Remember this sketchy app which allowed you to make in-app purchases for free and it had a higher rate of success than early stages of lucky patcher? I miss the days in which I was worried of why tf play store wasn't working anymore after I uninstalled it. Also if I remember correctly you had to change your timezone to Russia.

Attached: IMG_20190113_105330.jpg (480x330, 20K)

Why would you run proprietary software made by literally who as root? Are you a normalfag?

This
Rocking my OPO still because of the ease with which I can do anything I want

Galaxy Note 1 here runnung CyanogenMod 12 (Android 5.1), without Google Botnet Services.

Mainly because only official LOS build for my phone is 15.1, no 16.0 yet so.. Waiting for that.

Just buy an unlocked phone?

Go back

Back then there were very few options to choose from, and I didn't have anything to lose anyway. I was installing a lot of stupid shit just to experiment. Also as I said it worked better than lucky patcher so even today i dont really give a shit if it's proprietary or not as long as it werks better than its competition

Bump.

I remember this sketchy shit. Broke the play store constantly but was totally worth it.

Use a browser with adblock