How have there been no attempts to make a new enthusiast grade CRT? With all the PVM/Trinitron dorks out there...

How have there been no attempts to make a new enthusiast grade CRT? With all the PVM/Trinitron dorks out there, you'd think some company would try and cash in by making something cheaper.

Attached: slim.png (494x223, 153K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well step one would be, "build a whole new factory that makes the tubes", since all the ones that used to have long since shut down or been repurposed for other things. So there's a couple hundred million right off the bat before you even get started. This being for a niche market of twitch gamers who just aren't satisfied with an overclocked 144Hz LCD and some retro enthusiasts. Good luck with your kickstarter.

There's probably government intervention.
I mean they use lead, and weigh a lot. Also they are no where near as profitable as LCD panels. The money saved in shipping, and handling alone is considerable, and the manufacturing cost are dirt cheap. A company could easily make a huge profit pumping out low quality flat panel displays over crts, so that's probably the reason.

This was as close to a next-generation CRT we could have had.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display

Alibaba has CRT TVs new.

From a quick glance they are mostly for the Indian market

Attached: image.jpg (750x1285, 440K)

because 120/144/240hz exists

the thinner you make it be the stronger magnetic feild you need to aim the electrons

stop shilling this meme. they are shit just like LCDs. they have fixed resolutions and input lag.

Huh?
CRTs had high refresh rates way before LCDs did

huh???? huh? huh! huh? huh ??

Difficult and expensive to manufacture. It is by no means a simple device.

*Walks out the supermarket*

Because anyone under 30 can hear the high pitch buzzing noise

the only people who want this are such a niche market it would never make money. At best this would be a product for hobbyists. Any company who made this could probably expect to sell a few thousand worldwide per year, unless they decided to pander to 3rd worlders, in which case their product wouldn't be something you would want.

It's not about hz, crts have almost 0 persistence, images don't have ghosting. It's like having motion fluidity of 120hz with ulmb

Pretty sure everyone with the expertise to engineer and manufacture a new prosumer CRT is dead.

Also the enthusiast CRT market is mostly garbage pickers who wouldn't cough up the dosh for a $1000+ new production CRT anyway.

>slim CRT
Meme. You're sacrificing image linearity for a thinner display

Because the niche is smaller than you think.

based chinese

>input lag
proof

Are these just old new stock, or refurbished models? I wasn't aware there were any factories still making this landfill.

>CRT
>Input lag
Lel. Show me.
>inb4 using an external adapter

I have a Sony Ouija 32 inch I bought in 2002 and I watch it daily and have since most older movies not shot in digital look like garbage on a digital TV and only look good on a CRT

CRTs are fucking difficult to dispose of and are an environmental mess.
Don't shit up the world with any more of those.

Who gives a flying fuck about the environment if you can’t watch a 60 year old black-and-white film that doesn’t look like complete trash because all you have are LED TVs

This. I don't give two shits about the environment

guys i was looking at a crt monitor and noticed it was native 5:4. its been awhile since i had a crt, how well will this shit look at 4:3?
I know lcds look fucked at the wrong aspect ratio, but crts dont right?

Also LCDs are not really better for the environment.

>How have there been no attempts to make a new enthusiast grade CRT?

what were plasma screen televisions ???
oh they could only do movies and got fucking burnt if you wanted to use them for your morrocan basket weaving forum all day ???

Attached: plasma_diagram.jpg (400x300, 47K)

I've been kind of wondering this as well, how come there's no company looking to cash into nostalgia in this regard as well as maybe hook the people who are looking at CRT for the image quality benefits over LCDs. If you think about it, any CRT to stand up to current LCDs would probably not be very easy to make
>most CRT monitors were fairly small, even 27" LCDs are popular nowadays, which would result in a huge, heavy monster
>common CRT resolutions don't stand up to what LCDs can do nowadays, a high-end screen should do at least 2560x1440 or even 3840x2160, 120Hz at least because CRT flicker is a thing
>new high-quality tubes would have to be designed/built
>VGA similarly does not stand up to modern scrutiny, you'd need a CRT with HDMI/DP input, plus some built-in very high quality DAC circuit to convert the digital inputs to something which can be used to drive the tube, which would have to be fast enough to handle high resolution at high refresh rate
>LCDs have this nifty feature of variable refresh rate which is very nice to have, CRTs can't really do that which would make them more of a trade-off instead of a straight upgrade for things like gaming (where some of their advantages are most critical)