*dies on you*

*dies on you*

Attached: 64.png (1066x799, 1.05M)

Other urls found in this thread:

guru3d.com/news-story/endurance-test-of-samsung-850-pro-comes-to-an-end-after-9100tb-of-writes.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

*shitposts*

If you're still using an HDD on a laptop you deserve to have all your data corrupted.

*dies*

*dabs on the jannies and on itoddlers*

Attached: 1542783503081.jpg (774x850, 197K)

>laptop

cringe

>ssd dies
>still has read functionality

Seething kingston nigger. Based samsung SSDs don't die.

whats wrong with kingstons?

They're the shit-tier of shit-tier, niggerForce SSDs. I just had one turn into a 32kB brick after a firmware update.

>cringe

cringe

How are you going to ration out those 32kbs?

>tfw still use a 60GB Samsung 830 from 2011

When a HD dies, you lose all your data forever

When a SSD dies, it just switches to read-only

Had my 830 for close to 8 years now, nothing wrong with it

*click* *click* *click*

Attached: 70480812-close-up-inside-of-3-5-computer-hard-disk-drive-hdd-isolated-on-white-background.jpg (1300x866, 76K)

>b-but SSDs dont last very long!

Attached: 850pro.jpg (701x782, 117K)

I like those sounds

>dont fall for the ssd meme
>ssd's have a high failure rate

suck it Jow Forums

Attached: sdhkfljsdf.png (667x221, 30K)

that's not very much at all
also why'd you hide your serial?

Attached: jGA.png (674x643, 51K)

you wrote 11.6 TB on it. that specific model is supposed to fail at around 600TB. are you retarded?

bro you got less than 71TB left. you're 11% dead already

Attached: x400.jpg (870x1387, 119K)

11.6tb over 4.5 years. How many years I got left, dumdum?

ITT: Things that have never happened

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is fake warranty claims, but something about posting unique identifiers such as addresses, serial numbers, usernames, etc online makes me uncomfortable

yes hello

Attached: qwat.png (689x640, 75K)

So it will only last me for 27 more years? oh no

I do all my archiving on my considerably larger hdd

Just sent back 8 Samsung SSDs in the past month for RMA. They were in raid.

Attached: 827364876238794.gif (640x633, 413K)

are you perchance mentally retarded

how long does a hdd last?

Attached: Untitled 1.png (211x70, 3K)

Wasn't mine. I work at an IT distributor company.

A bit different for me.

HDD fails: Can back up most of the data (usually). Sometimes all data at a slow speed if very lucky.
Worst case scenario: No longer reads or can't back up anything. Can slow system performance and prevent boot.

SSDs: Fails completely where the drive is no longer detected (most of the time) and could cause system stability or boot issues with a known good computer (fairly common).

If lucky data is read only and can be backed up (rare).

How do people destroy sensitive info on a SSD that's worn out its block writes? Just drill some holes in the drive?

what the fuck do you mean

Attached: 1403465974703.jpg (408x439, 50K)

Yes. Literally. A fire is probably more effective though and Thermite for ultimate overkill (overwrite the whole drive physically forever).

If its really that important you could just burn the shit out of it in a bonfire or something

I think h's suggesting that they don't bork at that rate and that people must have been defragging them or something

>samsung

Can you even defrag an SSD? I thought it's disabled by default.

Yes.

im not the user you replied to, and could be wrong, but the SSD failure senario sounds like a controller failure. surely if the data was important enough to be recovered (but not important enough to be backed up or stored in a redundant array for some reason) you'd try to replace the controller or something.

You can, it's basically pointless though. The real trick is setting the partition to 10% less than max so it can maintain swap speed.

guru3d.com/news-story/endurance-test-of-samsung-850-pro-comes-to-an-end-after-9100tb-of-writes.html

wtf I won't even turn my PC on from now.

*Loads from backup*

>>cringe
>cringe
cringe

Only Intel ones

>quads

Attached: 234534645.jpg (480x360, 7K)

As someone who has to service crapbooks (Macs) regularly I find very often the controller is detected but not the nand flash (perhaps connection between controller and flash memory failed?).

Point is SSD is toast and the board of an SSD (even in 2.5" SATA form factor) is one whole piece (on circuit board, no modular boards) so unless you have good circuitry based skills and industrial equipment you won't get far fixing the SSD.

Can't say I know what you're putting down.

HDDs and SDDs have multiple failure modes and you shouldn't generalize all failures under the one that is most important to your narrative.

you wrote 11.6 TB on it. that specific model is supposed to fail at around 600TB. are you retarded?

Very cute.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-13_02-57-49.png (377x405, 11K)

>traveling with a desktop
Cringe
>that reddit spacing
Cringe again

What does this even mean

>why'd you hide your serial?
Because there might be serial killers on this board and I don't want them to kill my drive.

Yes, the high performance HDDs do have good life expectancy.
They tend to have longer warranties, too, because they're expected to last that long.

Attached: 1454572997677.png (1016x631, 469K)

Pic slightly outdated as I don't have it connected anymore. Old-ass 120 GB running nearly 24/7. Only 1 TB write though.
It is now semi-retired and delegated to mom & pops PC (kek).

Attached: unknown.png (205x97, 8K)

Whoever put them in RAID should be fired if it was for anything critical. You never RAID all drives from the same batch because they're all made the same, are installed at the same time, and will see the same use, so they'll likely die at the same time too and kill your RAID.

>sixty nine double three quadruple seven
cringe

how many connections could there be between the controller and the flash? it would be weird for mutiple flash to controller connections to have failed, and for all the flash chips to be dead, but not the controller. do the chips share a power rail? ever checked if the flash is getting power?

I have a 128gb Samsung from 2011 (came with my T420s) still kicking around. Bought a few months ago two poverty-special 240GB WD Greens, not a hicup so far.

decent uptime but its the writes that kill it.

I've only had 2 kingston ssds fail. v200 missing a boot sector making it not visible in bios at all, while v300 got under 1mbps writes at some 30k hours.

I had also old 60gb ozc drive which reset the POH counter at some 40k, put it in old laptop and sold it off to some poor sod.

Samsung MLC is the only one I trust in anything important though

Attached: 123.png (684x593, 74K)

*takes it up the ass*

>1 TB SSD
Thats where you fucked up, you just need 128/256 GB and install the gaymes in an HDD

b-but it boots in 1 second!

>bought a Seagate HDD literally two weeks ago
>it failed today

Attached: 1547322250567.jpg (720x795, 33K)

Some games have downright painful load times on HDDs.

No racism please.

how did it happened?

Why are you applying firmware updates to your drives?

Attached: 1543816472999.png (554x720, 311K)

You can't. For ssd's that option is compelled disabled

So do you buy drives from multiple stores or do you space it out?

>entry level noc monkey
>work noc monkey job for a little under two years
>amount of something like 80
>amount of literally 2
I can't wait for hdds to die and never come back and I manage sans that cost more than your house.

Attached: 1429227600236.jpg (500x438, 30K)

I had a notebook WD HDD die in one week

Attached: Hackers - No Names.gif (300x192, 1.14M)

1 year with Seagate and now still using as External hdd

What's the matter with seagate ?

Anons I write 530gb in a month in my ssd

Am i fucked ?

yikes

That's still 16 years just to write 100 TB, ur fine.

Attached: fake and bluepilled.png (663x534, 62K)

its enabled but its just trimming
some ssds cant be defraged or trimmed

What is the problem with TRIM ?
>newfag in the world of SSD

please elaborate

Buy another one what are you poor?

>Dies.
>Goes Into Read-Only Mode.
Really user....

I've heard about to enable TRIM to protect the writing NAND and other to say it's a placebo and do nothing

I dont know who to believe actually in any case I have enable TRIM function

If you don't know what it means. Enable trim. Never defrag. They're not related.

This, 6 years with mine

Attached: ssd.png (472x622, 52K)

>estimated lifetime
how does this work

My 750 just died after 2 years and 25 tb written

It uploads all your data to Mossad so they can figure it out

What?!
That's nothing, what about the TBW for 750??!

5 years is enough for me
Anyway I'll change to a new laptop in some years with m2

TRIM has little to do with protecting your drive, and everything to do with speed. Traditional spinning disks would delete files by simply removing the reference to the file in the index so that it could be overwritten as if nothing was there. SSDs can't overwrite data in the same way, so the block needs to be deleted before it's written. This slows shit down a lot. TRIM deletes unused blocks.

I use old drives for target practice.

>reaches 72C during a 20GB file transfer in a well ventilated case
>96% life remaining after only 2TB written

big yike on Micron's BX series. Their MX series are god-tier though

Attached: 01_crucial_bx500[1].jpg (640x430, 82K)

forgot to mention that the BX series has plastic housing aswell, which would explain the inferno-tier housefires

I thought the controllers they used were a meme