Has any one looked at why modern games are so large?

I know you will say /v/ but they know shit all I want to technical answer.

seems bullshit to me no way is that "larger textures" n shit.

I bet they have just slacked off and are not paying for compression software licenses like they did before because gen is almost over.'

in 2015-2016 average game was like 30-40gb
in 2017-2018 games are like 80-90gb :(

I don't want to have to buy a 2tb ssd + a 15tb HDD because both are expensive and literally the price of my GPU and take up space and im about to tiney 5L ITX pc. :(

fucking hope PS5 ports don't stay this big.

Attached: 1533438186927.jpg (882x731, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/microsoft-to-remove-full-refs-support-from-windows-10-pro-push-workstation-sku/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

and ya all games pre 2015 where basically 15-25gb even ps4/xboxone consoles port ones only outlier to this was GTA5

have all the modern games copied how GTA5 lay out their game in some retarded way.

> are not paying for compression software licenses
How do you know? They ship with uncompressed sound and videos nowadays.

why cant they stream that shit for fuck sake

>They ship with uncompressed ... videos
A few seconds' worth of thinking would have prevented you from saying this.

when game is more than couple of GiB I consider it a fucking massive one
battlefield 3, now that was a game, takes up 15 if i remember and I couldnt get it over my mind how large it was in 2011

>seems bullshit to me no way is that "larger textures" n shit.
that's literally the correct answer
the biggest use of game data is textures, followed by audio and animation, followed by meshs
code takes up next to no space
and you don't have to pay compression software licenses for anything except maybe MP3 but nobody wants or needs to use that
having less compression on data also means it loads faster so compressing the hell out of everything usually isn't a good idea, hard drive space is cheap

Read a book or two before pretending you know what you are talking about.

>the biggest use of game data is textures, followed by audio and animation, followed by meshs
I thought that audio and video are always take more space than textures.
At least this was true in ps3 era.
f13 is about 40-50 gb, the game itself is only 5 gb
Mgs 4 has like 30 gb of uncompressed audio.
>having less compression on data also means it loads faster so compressing the hell out of everything usually isn't a good idea, hard drive space is cheap
Isn't there some kind of file system in loonix that compresses everything by default and it's actually loads faster this way. I forgot the name, but i remember that creator killed his wife

1080p to 4k textures wouldn't make a game increase by 80gigs you retard.

forza4 (2011) is 9gb with 3gb on a second cd for extra cars and a 1080p game

forza7 (2017) is 100gb with less content.

4k textures do not take up 90gb you fucking sperg you just rabbit what seems like the simplest answer its some thing els and don't say some thing retarded like higher detail 3d models that takes up kb not even mb of data.

codebase probably plays a huge part in that, it just has to work it doesn't need to be quality. Thats probably why they ship their games with so much bloat that they literally don't care about size as long as it works

Except you're wrong, go to a textures folder if the game has one and delete it

oh yeah if it's a movie game like final fantasy then I imagine high quality video takes up the most space, most games don't have alot of video data these days they just render things in engine
It's normal to have some compression, like your textures will probably be saved as the compressed texture format that can be read by the video card, but you can compress things much more than that if you try hard enough I'm just saying it's not worth the tradeoff

there is also some compression thing in windows 10 been thinking of trying it out on my steam library and seeing how much it actually slows things down. bout to switch to Linux once ive catched up on non steam stuff thou so if any one knows the name of the Linux equivalent plz say.

1TB SSD is fine. Crucial is regularly selling their 500gb for $85 and 1TB for $150. Just stop buying expensive shit that doesn't make a difference.

you're talking out of your ass.
precompiled shader variants take up a lot of space. also, depending on engine/asset serialization maps(levels) can be the largest assets, especially in open world games

Are you fucking stupid? Code is literally nothing in size.

>literally hasn't done this but is sure he is right.
4k textures are only 4x the size of 1080p ones how the fuck can they be 10x larger you retard. not to mention console games don't even run at 4k they upscale even on PS4 pro so their "4k" textures are really only 2/3x the size of the 1080p ones. it cant just be the textures it has to be that they used to be compressed and uncompressed on the fly and now they are not doing that or some thing els.

how is only having 6-7 games installed assuming you have other things on system.

that's fucking shit teir my PC isn't a console I want to play random shit when I feel like it and not feel like I have to install a game every time I want to play it like im inserting a disk on a old console that's shithouse experience only zoomers are used too.

Textures aren't the only variable in the equation
They're just the most important one
Resolution size isn't the sole determining factor

>precompiled shader variants take up a lot of space
they really don't

>They ship with uncompressed videos

Attached: marth sword head.jpg (640x480, 54K)

>AAA games keep getting bigger and bigger
>At the same time they all turn into worse garbage

>trys to sound smart by telling people "actually no"
doesn't offer any answer to what it really is because he is a retard who just wants to chime in and feel smart

How do I know if I haven't played the game shit-for-brains

Bro I've got 14 games installed on a 240gb + 120gb SSD, I have about 50gb free on both, the biggest games are about 25gb each and some of the absolute newest early access (ie: 7 days to die) are only 8gb. I could uninstall half those games and not care because I can just spend half an hour to download them again.

I have had my 1TB HDD unplugged for the last 2 years because I don't need it.

? go play it and look at its file structure and find out for me plz

>I could uninstall half those games and not care because I can just spend half an hour to download them again
Typical Zoomer reasoning

I finished them and aren't playing anymore. No reason to have it installed.

im talking about modern games you retard that are all like 80gig rainbow6seige a fucking csgo esports shit is like 90gigs.

you might play scam/trend games from 7years ago but you are kinda off topic bro.
like of course I have smaller games installed like CSGO and shit but im talking about shit released in last 2years. the bloat is literally making me want to quit gaming.

why would I bother

>there is also some compression thing in windows 10 been thinking of trying it out on my steam library and seeing how much it actually slows things down
If you have a good CPU and a sata SSD then the performance impact should be negligible. If you have a shitty mechanical drive it might actually speed things up. IMO it is the best thing that Microsoft added in Windows 10.

>Publicly admitting you're playing CSGO
NPCs everybody

NTFS compression wasn't added in Windows 10, pretty sure that shit has been there since Windows 2000 and maybe earlier.

Fuck off knowlage larper

Actually 4k textures are 16 times as large as 1080p textures

I'm a game developer

Nar its some new shit I don't know what its called but it dynamically compresses and decompresses the folder while ya using it and doesn't fuck up games some dude mentioned it another day I think it makes 50gb games like only take up 14gb

(4096*2160)/(1920*1080) = 4.23

Am I missing something?

Nigger that is NTFS compression and is over 20 years old. It's not new.

you realize the screen resolution has nothing to do with the size of the textures right?

4.27, not 4.23

devs do this on purpose so if you don't have enough space you uninstall other games to install theirs

it's hard drive capacity dominance

No they are not you retard you read that 4k textures are 8-16k didn't you 1080p ones was 4-6k you retard that's image of texture size you can't x it by the viewport res you sperg

My win10 drives are not ntfs you sperg and it works its a win10 feature its new there was a old one I agree but you couldn't have a exe access the files quickly it would crash games or not run

You're completely wrong.

You are just not aware of this feature. If you compressed a folder in win7 you would have to uncompress all of it to even launch it this win10 one is dynamic go learn about it and stop larping so you feel less bad for being on 7 still

yea like a binary doesn't have a size when code gets compiled. Where's my retard award? You deserve it, user-kun~

See, that's wrong though. NTFS has pretty much always been able to compress INDIVIDUAL files and not entire folders or drives. Ever use the "compress old files" in Windows XP and end up with a bunch of blue files in your file explorer? Those are all compressed with NTFS compression. Individually. The entire folder does not need to be decompressed and it's ENTIRELY TRANSPARENT to the system, so it has never really fucked up exe files for games.

Maybe try to show me what you're talking about? I already know you're fucking wrong because you said "My drives aren't NTFS" on Windows 10, what the fuck else are you using? ExFAT? There isn't anything else that's native besides FAT and NTFS.

Attached: ntfs.png (489x658, 29K)

Can just use flif & render 90% faster as well

That's not what we use now you can't run apps with that compression active this one you can

But you can run apps with that compression. Nothing has changed, the checksum of the files does not change because it's decompressed first. Stop talking out your ass.

No you cant you have to wait for it to decrompress the win10 one does it on the fly super fast and I use ReFS

You sperg upgrade from 7 n try it its new it's not that window

Dunno, they are a few megabytes for me, maybe a few hundred. You aren't playing those garbage AAA games, are you?

You're fucking retarded.

>App requests file
>NTFS decompresses file
>App gets file, nothing has changed as far as the app is concerned

Nothing has changed.

ReFS isn't in win10. Not "introduced".

Not him, there's actually something you guys are all missing. Textures aren't done in "1080p" or "4k (movie)" resolutions. They're done in squares.

512x512, 1024x1024 (1k), 2048x2048(2k), and 4096x4096(4k)

1k is typical, 2k is hi-res (for important stuff like characters and large props), 4k was generally not used because it was way too big. That may be what the other guy is talking about when he means 16x bigger. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone not using square resolutions for textures, it's been done this way forever.

Yes it is larp some place els use updated pro install or ltsc 2019 to install it by default plz fuck off ya old method crashes games

Ur gay bro, I literally just did 2 pro installs to SSD yesterday and only had NTFS and exfat to choose from.

ReFS in in Windows 10 but is limited to Workstation Pro or Enterprise
ReFS cannot be booted off of, your only option is NTFS for the system drive any other drive can be ReFS

Idiots, you can use GPT on Windows 10 too

See pic.

I am using GPT. But only with NTFS

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-12-16-04-18-372_com.brave.browser.jpg (1080x267, 78K)

When I said workstation pro I was referring to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations which is a different SKU from Pro

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/microsoft-to-remove-full-refs-support-from-windows-10-pro-push-workstation-sku/

I gathered that. You can't say a feature is "introduced in Windows 10" when it's on literally less than 1% of win10 SKUs installed in the world.

That's sort of like saying iPhones are made completely out of gold and diamonds, when there's maybe a couple of those in the world made for rich sandnigers.

>NTFS is a robust, well-tested file system
top kek

>You'd be hard pressed to find anyone not using square resolutions for textures, it's been done this way forever.
square textured stopped being a requiring in the early 2000s
textures can be whatever size you want

Say what you want but NTFS has been VERY well tested

I don't know if there was ever a requirement but it's the standard. It was standard when I was making weapon skins for CSS, when modding oblivion, and then FONV, and Skyrim, and all the assets for [insert engine] tutorials I've seen all say to use square textures and when I rip files from games it's usually square textures