Why are computer science students in universities forced to learn useless things like algorithms and mathematics...

Why are computer science students in universities forced to learn useless things like algorithms and mathematics? Why can't they just learn coding?

Attached: 4hq0e5nctmy11.jpg (1056x782, 80K)

nice troll bait

>>>/wdg/

Because I can already code well and want to gain a deeper understanding of the foundations. Also going to uni is a good excuse for not working and living off your parents money.

Attached: shitposting.jpg (335x500, 73K)

>forced to learn useless things like algorithms
Job interviews.
> and mathematics
Because universities want their students to be able to do basic math.

Attached: typical cs degree.png (574x839, 55K)

This is very poor bait.

Attached: 1452635429762.jpg (416x508, 67K)

Not to mention physics, electronics, economy. None of this shit is important for someone in cs and most of it is taught in high schools and can be made optional.

Is algorithms not coding?
Do math with javascript if you want.

>computer science
It's a course in computation. You are there to learn about computation. That means algorithms and math op.

>living off your parents money.
I lived outside or in my car during university lol

because anyone monkey can code, you dont need university for it

Yet jobs require a bachelors degree LMAO

That's why god invented women studies degrees

Try to code a 3d graphics engine without knowing mathematics, genius. Or try to code a useful linear optimization model, without knowing linear algebra. Or, again, try to implement a useful bayesian network without knowing probability theory. Coding is not just making meme websites in html & javascript.

I imagine most degrees could be condensed down into two years or something. CS especially. There exists a happy medium between a bootcamp and a 4 year degree with worthless electives.

Imagine tricking people into buying a Burger AI instead of just buying a timer.

Forced? That's literally what they're there for. If you want to just learn coding, don't study computer science.

My CS degree only took 5 semesters. I could have finished it in 2 years if I took summer classes.

b8

If you throw out gen. ed. credits, CS is two years.
But we want people with well-rounded educations, so they can think critically, have some basic understanding of the world, and can read, write, and speak competently.

For Computer Science to actually be a science, students need to have the faculties to understanding the core principles of research like how design an experiment and quantify their results.
This is why ABET accredited schools require 4 semesters of lab-based science courses.

you don't need math for computer science lmao

>they can think critically, have some basic understanding of the world, and can read, write, and speak competently.
All of this is taught in high school if you didn't grow up in the ghetto.

"""CS""" in my country is like that and I despise it. We have 6 semesters learning basically the same thing, how to do a database crud in 3 different languages, instead of learning algorithms, discrete math, machine learning, etc.

lmao all these CS undergrads triggered

Attached: cannot-make-this-shit-up.jpg (330x319, 49K)

NEWS FLASH:

University was NEVER about teaching skills to people, it was always about teaching academic disciplines. Guilds and trade schools are where people historically went to learn real skills.

Stop treating school like a mentorship, it's not.

brb quitting my second year in chemical engineering to join a guild

You're looking for "software engineering", OP.

>I lived outside or in my car during university lol
ok how did you do that in this day and age of super anal campus police?

I know this is a meme but I have seen even worse cs programs out there. OP should go to one of those schools.

>he doesn't know what high school "education" is like

So naive.