International Space Station

Why does the inside of the Internation Space Station look like a shitty wiring closet? You'd think if you were trying to sell ~*S*P*A*C*E*~ to the taxpayer you'd at least try to make it look cool.

Attached: 50d779fb0c142e2f5b74818a50c589ad.jpg (3032x1705, 1.14M)

Other urls found in this thread:

nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/15_ways_iss_benefits_earth
nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>You'd think if you were trying to sell ~*S*P*A*C*E*~ to the taxpayer
it's not a marketing stunt you idiot it's a research station
and it does look cool

No clean looking panels though. Not satisfied.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x528, 49K)

>wasted volume
>bullshit to keep clean
>implying this would make normalfags care any more about space

That IS how they sell it retard.
Did you think it was actually practical to have tons of loose wiring hanging off the walls in a 0 gravity where any random shit can float up and knock something loose?

Hell, I have like 5 cables behind my desk in fucking Earth's gravity where nothing moves around, and it's still a tangled mess. Can't even imagine how bad it would be in 0g with them all floating around all the time and 100x more cables

It's all hollywood.

>it's not a marketing stunt you idiot it's a research station

Oh yeah?
What scientific discoveries have been made there other than how to best sell the government to the people using people's own tax money?

Oh look, another thread by the schizo spamming his """FAKE SPACE"""" conspiracies.

Take it to Jow Forums and keep it there bud buds. People there are sufficiently gullible that some may actually believe you.

>You'd think if you were trying to sell ~*S*P*A*C*E*~ to the taxpayer you'd at least try to make it look cool.
They're not trying to sell space to the taxpayer with the ISS.
The ISS is purely research, so it looks like shit because research labs look like shit.

I didn't say it was an effective or useful research station

This. And it works perfectly.

The mental dissonance created on this topic is so fucking massive anyways. They could do big fuckups again and again and still get away with it.

>What scientific discoveries have been made there
nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/15_ways_iss_benefits_earth

nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/index.html

>Using technology developed for the space station

>Did you think it was actually practical to have tons of loose wiring hanging off the walls in a 0 gravity where any random shit can float up and knock something loose?
Yes. It is quite literally practical, because you don't have to worry about orientation at all, the wires will stay roughly where you put them and most connectors have a form of locking mechanism so they don't just fall out.

Yes. Literally stuff that was developed because the ISS exists.
But that's not all, there are things in there like how crystals form in microgravity that have proved useful to us here on Earth.

Id have such bad anxiety about accidentally knocking a switch or pressing a random button.

>SHIT I accidentlaly pressed something
What was it?
>I dunno, shit i better press these 150 different buttons and switches around this area.
OXYGEN VENTING ACTIVATED
>fuuuuuuuu

>Yes. Literally stuff that was developed because the ISS exists.

Now imagine putting the same research effort directly into the stuff we need on Earth, instead of hoping for some random offshoot.

And remember the number of smart people is very limited.
Making researchers work on pointless manned space flights means they can't for example work on better satellites, space telescopes, planetary explorers, etc. - shit that's actually useful and would yield loads of interesting offshoots as well.

>how crystals form in microgravity
Which you could research at a fraction of the costs with an unmanned space experiment.

that does look cool though but not in a gay movie space station way

>Yes. Literally stuff that was developed because the ISS exists.
it boggles my mind how anyone with an above average IQ can think this is a valid reason for the space industry to exist

Every gram of mass in there costs a lot of money to get up into space, and therefore must absolutely be justified. Pretty wallpaper doesn't make the cut.

They keep adding stuff to it as time goes on

>removing panels to get to one cable
>doing a space walk to get to one cable
>radiation shielding every cable outside of the ship

Attached: fiber.jpg (811x526, 72K)

All of those buttons, controls and gauges should be accessible from a single main terminal on the ship.

Tell you what, why don't you go write NASA a letter to tell them how to design their spaceships since you seem to know so much better?

They know they can do better, but it's not in their budget to build the entire International Space Station from scratch. The space station was launched in the 90's with an outdated module concept.

It will of course change in the future. A single panel will eventually have full control of how the station functions. Manual controls/physical buttons may still be in place, but hidden behind panels.

Ease of maintenance > Appearance you dumb fucking shitstick

The first modules went up there in 1998.
Of course they'd design it differently today, but you can't just throw away a module and replace it with a new one because it's a bit outdated, it costs a shit ton of money to design, to build AND to get up there, so if you can squeeze a bit more service out of any single thing, you will.

Attached: 143942main_iss_config.jpg (960x720, 108K)

>if you can squeeze a bit more service out of any single thing, you wil
Oh you bet I will ;o)

I thought that, but imagine if it fucking broke, so im guessing they are accessable but are kind of patch paneled into redundancy.

They probably can access / control the switches remotely, but i imagine they have dozens of people on earth looking at readouts and settings, and if something changes outside of expected levels they probably radio in, YO SPACEMAN, check the blah blah gauge, does it read 400 etc..ok, and they change shit remotely, or if its something they cant automate somebody on board changes something.