Is gentoo a superior king on gnu/linux scene?

is gentoo a superior king on gnu/linux scene?

Attached: gentoo-g.png (180x180, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no, it's a meme

Funny meme!
Pass >>(You) and collect $200!

I like having to not uninstall systemd and being able to configure an X based GUI without systemd, so I’d say yes.

Yes. Portage is literally a blessing. I wouldn't ever want to use anything else (unless they remade it entirely in C, fuck python lol)
I've been donating 10% of my income to the Gentoo project every year. It's my tithe, you could say.

gentoo is a jester in the court of LFS

blessed + redemptionpilled

How does it compare in benchmarks vs RHEL, SUSE EL, Clear Linux?

It's up there. But I would have to say that GuixSD beats it, at least in theory.

Practically speaking Gentoo is probably the king and will be for a very long time. But if GuixSD becomes more developed it easily has the potential to surpass it. It's even possible to have USE flags in it, although it's not clear at this time if they'll put the work in to take advantage of them.
It solves MANY other problems too.

>it's the best because it's hard to install and it lets me show off how intelligent i think i am
'no'

Probably not that much of a difference. But performance isn't the end all be all. It has more up to date software than RHEL and is more stable. It's easily one of the most stable distros there is.

It's ok to not use it user. You don't have to make up bullshit to justify in your mind why something is bad just because you don't want to use it.

What is its marketshare if its so stable?

don't be passive aggressive, user, it makes you look like a bitch.

>be a bitch
>call everyone else a bitch

Attached: veikeä.jpg (1203x1072, 107K)

No it's a bad meme like the rest of Linux

Gentoo doesn't track its users so no one knows if there are a billion users or just one Jow Forumsuy

A system is stable if it doesn't change or inherently resist change. If we assert a force to a pendulum, it will resist the change and converge to the same point it started in.
If we imagine a pendulum which is unstable, it will keep increasing the amplitude which will eventually break stuff.
A good example of this behaviour is a feedback loop in a speaker - mic situation.
If the speaker produces a tone picked up by the microphone, the microphone will amplify the sound to the speaker and this can go on and on resulting in a very loud high pitch sound.

In terms of software this can either be manifested by not having the software change or it can mean it does not crash when people use it.
Marketshare has nothing to do with stability.

Yes.

GuixSD definitely shows potential, and it seems to be steadily improving.
However, it can't possibly be a direct competitor unless it starts shipping nonfree firmware and programs (highly unlikely considering it's a FSF approved distribution).

At the moment, however, Gentoo is still probably the best distribution overall.

Thank you lad, I'll follow your example when I start working

No, pic related is.

Attached: Funtoo.png (165x100, 21K)

install gentoo

probably yeah

>I've been donating 10% of my income to the Gentoo project every year. It's my tithe, you could say.
Jesus fuck dude

GuixSD exists.
Nothing else is relevant or matters at all anymore.

Attached: installguixsd1524902247500.jpg (1000x1000, 1.12M)

No

ubuntu is

Unironically this

>However, it can't possibly be a direct competitor unless it starts shipping nonfree firmware and programs
That's not an issue. I'm running GuixSD on both my laptop and my desktop with nonfree firmware right now, and the Linux kernel including proprietary blobs so my wifi works out of the box on my laptop.
I also even have a bunch of nonfree games running on it, including Steam.

In fact, the only reason I've been able to get nonfree firmware and Linux kernel is thanks to a GuixSD developer who literally posted the config to make it work.
FSF is not against people using proprietary software, they are just against you not having a choice. Their goal is to build a solid free _base_ OS and they have nothing against people sharing configs with nonfree stuff.
I can easily see standard nonfree repos being utilized on GuixSD if it were more mainstream. It'd be just like adding repos on any other distro, or like the AUR or something.

Gentoo does not care to be king. As far as I'm concerned, it is a competent commoner bueraucrat that just gets shit done.

>FSF is not against people using proprietary software, they are just against you not having a choice. Their goal is to build a solid free _base_ OS and they have nothing against people sharing configs with nonfree stuff.
False. gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html

Debian, for example, has always kept exclusively free software in its official repos, while allowing you to use nonfree software from a separate repo.
A base Gentoo install, too, does not have any nonfree software in it, and it's very easy to compile the kernel without blobs during the install process to make sure the kernel is "clean" as well.

It's plain wrong to say that the FSF is against you not having a choice, because they actively condemn distributions that do give you a choice.
Sure, it IS possible to use nonfree software in FSF approved distributions, including GuixSD, but they make it more complicated than it should be. Mind you: not *hard* in absolute terms, but harder than necessary.
As long as GuixSD maintains this policy, I can't see it surpassing Gentoo from a practical point of view.

Keep in mind that I do support the goal of having an entirely free OS, but preventing you from installing nonfree programs is not always feasible.

It is also absolutely trivial to exclude (license mask) any packages not sporting a FSF-approved license on Gentoo, the packages all have a license and Portage can enforce adhering to a given set of them like that.

But yea, the FSF is not happy unless a distro is "only including free software" as a matter of policy, including kernel blobs.

well, it works for me.
and i like the ability to avoid systemd, if i need it.

>gnu/linux
>superior
Pick 1

10% of 0 is still 0 my dude