Bought some NFC stickers to mess around with

Bought some NFC stickers to mess around with.

Anybody got some nice tips and tricks for them?

I'm already using a few of them to share my WiFi password, contact info and turning of my alarm etc.

Attached: IMG_20190113_133247.jpg (4608x2112, 2.15M)

How

do

they

work?

First of all NFC stands for Near Field Communication and as the name implies it enables short range communications.

Passive NFC devices include tags, and other small transmitters, that can send information to other NFC devices without the need for a power source of their own. However, they don’t really process any information sent from other sources, and can’t connect to other passive components. These often take the form of interactive signs on walls or advertisements and in my case stickers.

Just like Bluetooth and WiFi, and all manner of other wireless signals, NFC works on the principle of sending information over radio waves. Near Field Communication is another standard for wireless data transitions. This means that devices must adhere to certain specifications in order to communicate with each other properly. The technology used in NFC is based on older RFID (Radio-frequency identification) ideas, which used electromagnetic induction in order to transmit information.

I hope this answers your question?

I'm also looking for some ideas to use this.

What are you using them for user?

Put one in your ass

Nothing, I haven't bought any yet.
Looking for ideas.

You can make a message board on these. Write posts to them.

Could be fun. Would only be kinda hard to scan the sticker but I could always give it a try.

What do you exactly mean?

Is paying with NFC common in USA?
My third world shithole doesn't have it although everyone races to buy the latest smartphone.

I don't know how common it is in the USA? But I'm from the Netherlands and it's normal over here. Our bank cards/credit cards come standard with a NFC chip inside of it so you could use it to pay contactless.

I'm also using my phone to pay with NFC. Since I have my phone always with me. But this depends if your bank offers this option.

As an Amerimutt, I'd say 80% of card readers and registers in the Midwest support nfc reading.

could you store crypto keys on them?

Best use is for switching phone settings.

Unfortunately, Android is a huge faggot and doesn't let you do that if your phone is locked.

Is it fuck. the USA is like the dark ages when it comes to consumer financial transactions. They're still using cheques like it's 1970's Europe.

does the mong behind the counter know how to process a transaction using this method though?

I don't have a lot of experience with NFC tags. But I think it would be possible to store your crypto key on a NFC tag. But the only thing I lack knowledge is how to secure a NFC tag. I know you can make them read-only and set a password on them but this password is only for writing data on the tag. Not when you try to read it.

Well usually the option isn't separate for the payments, I haven't had the pleasure of an idiot holding me up because of the transaction yet.
It's all pretty automated and idiot proof.

You mean settings like screen brightness etc?

And of course you would wan't your phone to read NFC tag's when it's unlocked. Otherwise people could also make payments etc without you even knowing.

>You mean settings like screen brightness etc?
Mostly enabling/disabling stuff.

>And of course you would wan't your phone to read NFC tag's when it's unlocked. Otherwise people could also make payments etc without you even knowing.
Whitelist tags or require confirmation... there are many ways to deal with this problem.
You can't even toggle wi-fi with NFC if the phone is locked, but you can easily do that manually. Where's the logic in that?

>Mostly enabling/disabling stuff.
Yeah okay, just the small simple settings. The only thing I maybe gonna use it for is for connecting to my wireless headphone easily without any hassle.

>Whitelist tags or require confirmation... there are many ways to deal with this problem.
You can't even toggle wi-fi with NFC if the phone is locked, but you can easily do that manually. Where's the logic in that?
I totally agree, would be a lot better to make use of NFC tags in this way. But like I said it's a security issue. If they allow certain NFC tags to be read when your phone is locked this could be a potential security leak in the system.

Same in Spain, at least here in Barcelona. Virtually every card (be bank, debit, credit...) and payment terminal allows NFC.
Some countries in Europe are not like us I think. I lived in Germany, and they had those weird 'girocards', that were basically IBAN numbers on a magnetic band. You can't use NFC, or even make online payments with them (besides the ones you can normally make with an IBAN)

> I lived in Germany, and they had those weird 'girocards', that were basically IBAN numbers on a magnetic band. You can't use NFC, or even make online payments with them
How long ago was that, mate? For I don't know how long cards here have chips on them. You can do online baking with them and with newer ones pay contactless.

None of our banks issue nfc cards, but like says most scanners support nfc reading for apple android and Samsung pay

Install gentoo on them

Around 3 years ago. There was people that had "modern" cards of course. But the giros seemed pretty common.
It may be worth noting that the one I had was with one of those Volksbank, which I later realised it was some sort of cooperative banking (this concept was unknown to me, we had "Sparkassen" in Spain but cooperatives are uncommon).

I could make online payments using bank transfers and PayPal, along some other services that "agilize" the process. However, some services like Amazon only accept modern cards, and forced me to find complicated workarounds using prepaid cards and such things.

Probably, I should just have paid for a normal card, I just didn't stay long enough, had to fuck off because I could not find a place. But that is another story.

Here most terminals support contact less cards but most people aren't stupid enough to use "google/apple/samsung" pay. Like why the fuck would you use that instead of your fucking card.

The transaction between the phone and the terminal is done with a virtual card number, so if something fucks up the actual card number is still reasonably secure.

My third world shithole has nfc pay in taco bell but no the banks
Yikes

Attached: image.jpg (1032x1457, 352K)

All this wall of text and neglected to mention NFC relies on the fact that if you subject a metal coil to magnetic waves, electricity is generated. NFC chip is powered up from your phone's NFC transceiver generating magnetic waves and then sends information to your phone over radio wave.