>haven't used it for a month
>login today
>some chink has been trying to log in 300+ times
>what do?

Attached: anon.jpg (599x398, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/bluedragonz/server-shield
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

move ssh to random port, that cut ssh login attempts at mine to 0.

Hack into his mainframe with an OBD Zer0-day exploit and flush his memram via Skepter.

range ban china and russia

sounds legit anons, im a brainlet how do I do this

idk google it lmoa

/etc/ssh/sshd_config and google
but to answer your original question; nothing, as long as your setup is decent. use pubkeys, don't have a shit config, voila. changing the port isn't real security but will keep bot spam to a minimum

alright thanks user, is it usual for people to attempt hacking into servers? There's literally only minecraft on this vps

Use a really long password. Hide it in a text file somewhere if you can't be assed to remember it.

ask your vps provider why the fuck they didn't informed you about it

I'll do this too, thanks for the advice!

Are they supposed to notify me on email or something?

yes a lot of chinese/russian hackers have a botnet constantly trying to brute force almost every server with port 22 open

first day on the internet?

It is 100% usual and expected. Welcome to the Internet.

That's normal. The minute i took my Server online, when it was only an anonymous ssh server with nothing else on it, I could already see the ssh log filling with chink IPs trying to guess common usernames / passwords (minecraftserver, admin, letmein, user teamspeak) etc.
Won't do them any good unless they guess my 2048 byte ssh key since passwords are disabled, but they won't give up. Ever.

Just accept it, make sure your security is good and be glad.

Terrible advice. If you want to use a long password and have it so long that you need to store it in a file anyway, turn off password authentication and use pubkey authentication only. And make sure you set a password on the private key so it's worthless even if it's stolen from your hard disk.
Chinks MIGHT brute force some 12 character password (though it's extremely unlikely), but they will NEVER guess a 2048 byte key.

Happened to me once.
That chink fucker should have known better than to use an infected win2k server.

Attached: yukari.jpg (674x602, 56K)

op install fail2ban but be careful not to b& yourself(it happens sometimes) set to like 3 times and walk away
also install sshield

github.com/bluedragonz/server-shield

thank me later.

this and disable root acces, change the default password they sent you, create a new login with a decent pass and maybe fail2ban?

fail2ban

>move ssh to random port
We fire people who do this immediately. obscurity != security

He's hosting a game server you freak

I will check it out user thanks
I'll make sure to disable root acces, provider uses a random passwd gen
Will install it
this

>some chink has been trying to log in 300+ times
Whoa! It's fucking nothing. It's called internet background noise, and every single server has people trying to log in. You're not being targeted, it's bots "just trying". Set-up SSH keys, disable logging in as root and secure your stuff.

>Are they supposed to notify me on email or something?
No, they aren't. It's your server and normally there would be tens of IPs trying to access SSH on it daily, which would mean constant notifications from your hosting provider.
Want security? Use keys and disable password authentication; configure fail2ban with the SSH jail; enable automatic updates.

Yea user, thanks, I didn't know and panicked so I asked
gotcha