What desktop environment is best, distro unrelated

What desktop environment is best, distro unrelated.
>deepin

Attached: ubuntu-unity.jpg (770x433, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unity-desktop.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>chinese spyware

shave your neck, eric

Attached: 85774470.jpg (640x799, 82K)

Unity

>muh amazon spyware
is disabled by default and can be removed. It is also FOSS so I don't see the problem.
>Abandonware
No

Redpill me about xfce, why should I use it over KDE?

hey. I've never fucked with KDE much. However, XFCE to me has always been the most comfy among GUI DE's. I like the default programs, and I find it is easy to get a really nice looking customization set up easily. Try it out on Devuan or xubuntu. It's very comfy and stable. All I can really say is, after using XFCE for some years; trying to switch to gnome or LXDE or others - I always find that I miss the intuitive feel of the XFCE defaults. Other shit I use: openbsd with CWM

Attached: 1546918910490.jpg (528x444, 36K)

because you love screen tearing

for me, its KDE

XFCE, but people think it's ugly as they're lazy and accept the defaults.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-24_21-42-33.png (1366x768, 1.14M)

this is still horrendous

Teach me senpai

xfce is the only sane DE

dwm
fuck DEs and fuck jannies

I agree-ish. I hated that config as it looked too similar to MacOS but that's the only screenshot I have on my phone.

>no blur
D
R
O
P
P
E
D

- Arc Dark

- Go to the notification Area settings, uncheck "show frame"

- Go to the panel settings, click appearance, there should be a slider that says "Alpha". That's the opacity setting for the background.

- If something on the panel looks wrong, spacers are your best friend.

KDE, anything else is contrarianism, mac fags, or wm autists

Use KDE then.

compton has its own blur, no kde needed

you don't

Ubuntu, i3.

Quick, easy, great.

Cinnamon.
Many DEs aren't ugly, a few DEs support hiDPI, and most DEs don't try to pretend they're running on phones, but Cinnamon is the only one that satisfies all three of those criteria. Cinnamon is literally the only non-ugly DE that's still not ugly on hiDPI and doesn't try to pretend it's running on a phone.
Bit of a memory hog, but if you don't run at least 16GB of RAM anyway in this day and age, please go.

but KDE is ugly

reddit opinion

Name one other DE that isn't ugly, doesn't get uglier when you use hiDPI, and doesn't pretend to be a phone

For lightweight “just works” simple shit that you customize yourself to optimize your workflow, I loved LXDE. For something with modern features out of the box, Iiked GNOME. I didn’t like their dock, though. I hid it and used docky.

DEs in general are for redditors
install DWM
(also, lxqt to answer your question)

KDE
>GOAT quicklaunch
>GOAT archive manager
>GOAT file manager
>Tons of customization without tons of resource use - unless you make it that way
Theming is kinda fucked but there are some good ones with Kvantum.

/thread

xmonad is cool. Bit tricky to get started but I love being able to change layouts fast and having fast controll over the windows fast.

>no blur

fag

Attached: xfce-blur.png (1920x1080, 1.44M)

make it look good then
KDE is as customizable as DE's get

>hiDPI
doesn't it support only integer scaling?

Compton's blur looks like shit 99% of the times and is unbearably slow.

Best: KDE
Worst: Gnome

Attached: desktop environments_major des only.png (2281x831, 189K)

Have they fixed xfce's screen tearing yet, or not? That shit has been tearing for a fucking decade.

and fuck off with compton, that shit is ancient and slow as fuck

>multiple DEs switching from GTK to Qt
>none switching in the opposite direction
I'm going to print this out and frame it

your mum is unbearably slow

At the risk of sounding stupid, where's the line between a new DE and a fork of an old one? Asking because I notice Deepin is QT but also a fork of Gnome 3, and I'm wondering how much it's getting from that DE if it's made in a different toolkit.

Arc + Papirus is absolutely based

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-14 02-52-44.png (1600x900, 1.07M)

I guess it is historical reasons. Deepin used to use Gnome apps, but now they have their own Deepin apps. Maybe there’s small stuff left like evince or gcalc, not sure... The most “Gnomey” thing left is, as far as I know, the window manager which is a fork of Mutter.

Kubuntu has worked really well

Oh wait well I mean KDE

looks like bargain basement mac os

Alright, pretty much what I expected - it's not a strict percentage-based thing and more history/DE politics based. To the extent that DE politics are a thing, people on this board shit themselves over DE's at least.

Is unity back Jow Forumsuys?

unity-desktop.org/

Attached: file.png (1105x781, 206K)

Whichever werks for you, its like asking which engineering is the best

>back
I never stopped using it

Attached: 0cc.jpg (633x640, 51K)

deepin probably isn't a chinese botnet but don't risk it. I myself am a man of taste and use KDE on everything that has enough power to run it. If a machine is lacking ram or disk space I use XFCE for a better experience. But really, just use whatever works for you

Depends on what toolkit you're going to be using most:
GTK - GNOME
QT/Anything else - KDE