/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: cute.jpg (450x750, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/troubleshooting/failsafe_and_factory_reset#failsafe_mode
protondb.com/
youtu.be/MJKvG3FSwFs
youtube.com/watch?v=aLDOVot-R8o
vocaroo.com/i/s1qZ6e3YFioI
support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13787/gadgets-have-been-discontinued
howtogeek.com/277161/how-to-add-gadgets-back-to-windows-8-and-10-and-why-you-probably-shouldnt/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>look at my TN PC display (or most others) for a few hours
>eyes start to dry, water, hurt, and go red

>look at my phone's IPS display for a few hours
>eyes completely fine

Anyone know if there's a correlation or if something else is at play

I'm having trouble reseting my openwrt router in failsafe mode
I set my IP to 192.168.1.2
my mask to 255.".".0
and my gw to 192.168.1.1
telnet and ssh say the connect is unreachable
I plugged the ethernet cable in to the serial slot, yellow. I know it's fialsafe mode because the power light is blinking at the 0.5 second intervals after following the instructions on their website.
I just can't connect to the device
I'm on windows 7

>my mask to 255.".".0
Thats not how submask work, you need to specify 255.255.255.0

Yeah, TN panels are inferior to IPS. Don't let Jow Forums meme you into thinking otherwise. I know some anons will post that image of a really bad backlight bleed on an IPS, but TN is just plain worse. There's a reason why IPS displays are more expensive to get on Thinkpads.

Please help a brainlet out.
How does one apply multiple patches to st and when do I use git apply vs. git am?

Attached: 1520139329989.png (365x767, 297K)

>255.".".0
wat
I'm sure this is some kind of common shorthand somewhere, but most software will not recognize it. You actually need to type 255.255.255.0.

255.".".0
means 255 255 255 0, I just didn't type out the whole thing

Attached: 1519588001129.jpg (748x739, 135K)

And how did we know you werent a dumbass and typed it in like that?

Do you have a solution to my problem though
The mask is 255.255.255.0, exactly

Is it possible to put a custom motherboard inside a standardized atx case? By using some diy solution or some frame?

Using a ubuntu live disk I tried
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
and telnet 192.168.1.1 says no route to host
The router is plugged in to the laptop, cable in the yellow serial port on the router (wan) and it is in failsafe mode. I pressed the secure connection button during start up when the light was flashing, and now the light flashes very quickly.
openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/troubleshooting/failsafe_and_factory_reset#failsafe_mode

Attached: 1545297500330.jpg (630x555, 94K)

Nigga if it isnt atx spec or any spec your case handles, why the fuck do you think it would fiti

how do I find a qt programmer bf to help keep me on task and motivated?

Attached: 1541424654162.png (640x720, 301K)

(You)
Will double sided tape work? I only need it temporarily (2 weeks) before my new motherboard arrives.

I use two sided foam tape for hard drives
Try that, maybe a snap tie or two if it dangles

Does a 802.11 WiFi adapter have the right hardware to be able to read 802.15.4 zigbee data? Is it a matter of just writing the correct drivers, or are they completely separate and I'd need a specialized chip?

Violentmonkey or tampermonkey and why? Why not just good old greasemonkey?

greasemonkey sends every url you type in the addressbar to home base.
Tampermonkey is bloated and slow while also sending data back to home base

Many scripts still have problems with Greasemonkey's 4.x updates (including 4chanX). Tampermonkey is proprietary and should therefore be avoided, but in some cases it works when Violentmonkey doesn't.
Basically use whatever executes your scripts flawlessly, which is from least to most likely: Greasemonkey, Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey.

If I'm buying a new display to accompany my current 4k/60hz display, should I go with:
>IPS/144hz/1440p
or
>IPS/60hz/4k
?

I'l be using it mostly for references so IPS is a must. I like the idea of having 144hz available, but I don't play a lot of games that'd need it. I'd be ok to pass on that for 4k if I could keep it under ~$400.

Attached: 6.75.jpg (499x651, 63K)

I'm about read to smash my laptop. I have 3 PCs on my home network, one Windows 10 and two 7s, Both desktops are sharing files perfectly fine, and while my win 7 laptop does appear under "Network" every time I try to access it fails and brings up the troubleshooter, ofcourse the troubleshooter doesn't work, I tried every "solution" I could find, and it still doesn't work. I already checked the firewall.

Why the fuck is LAN on windows such fucking garbage?

Attached: 32259162-angry-man-yelling-at-his-computer.jpg (1300x933, 81K)

Can freedos connect to the internet? Can I play MOOs and MUDs and IRC?

Install Linux

I got a 4:3 monitor for free but I've already used all the slots on my GPU, what do?

And bend over backwards to enjoy my vidyagames, no thanks.

Stop playing video games

Use Proton+dvk to play dx11 dx12 games
Or
GPU passthrough 99% performance of windows without having to use it as daily driver.

Inform your self

It's that or bend over forwards

No joke, I've had less trouble getting Windows computers to talk to a Linux server running Samba than with getting two Windows computers to share with each other. I have no idea how MS fucked this up so hard because it used to be semi-reliable.

how to watch anime and movies with best IQ in 2019? are people still using MPC-HC and all those addons for it?

Are thare any other options for a portable Emacs machine?
I have a laptop but, it's to big to use in some cases.

> I am surprised Microshit falld at something

protondb.com/
^useful for Linux gayming
also install Lutris

Attached: GPD-p-2.jpg (1500x1500, 159K)

mpv, always mpv

Hey Jow Forums. There's some search bar in the Windows 10 start menu that's freaking the hell out and making it unusable. I've tried restarting, powering off, holding shift while powering off, restarting Windows Explorer from the task manager, I don't know what's going on. I couldn't find anything from searching online for stuff like "start menu stuck win10" and "win10 "paste" "undo" search bar stuck". Thanks in advance.

Attached: startmenuthing.png (1253x1745, 490K)

hi Jow Forums i need to buy a cord for my computer so the screen is connected to the computer my computer has a port onm the back that looks like picture related and my computer screen has a cord that is blue on the end i cant find a picture of it what cable do i need to get to put the 2 together? thank you

Attached: gftrhwetrgfn.png (530x243, 38K)

You need to learn some grammar first bro, holy shit.

pls i cant even see my screen i need to fix what is important first

fastest way of watching movies?

I'm using Popcorn Time, but I'm sure someone knows better alternatives

Fastest? Netflix.

just play them at 2x speed or something

lol

I use tampermonkey but keep it disabled when not using it. Why? It has a memory leak which I think they have only just addressed which has bitten my ass a few times (check latest changelogs, I'm not experimenting to find out though)

two movies

thats the website, not me being smartass

We dont know what the fuck you are talking about.

What do we know about the javascript on this site?

I was playing an FPS (max settings, GTX1080 i78700k with adequate fan ventilation) and I noticed hearing what sounded almost like a low tea kettle noise. It would slowly get louder then decrease in volume. That's the only way I can describe it.

What's going on?

Your screen uses VGA. Your computer only outputs in HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort. You will need to buy a VGA cable and a VGA to DVI converter.

Probably coil whine, google it and compare

There was this site linked on Jow Forums a few years ago which displayed a bunch of custom user homepages which you could download.
Anyone happen to have bookmarked it?

youtu.be/MJKvG3FSwFs

Nope, doesn't sound like that. What could it be?

For reference of the sound youtube.com/watch?v=aLDOVot-R8o

Of course it doesn't sound as loud as an actual kettle but in terms of tone, it's very similar.

My comp started making a similar sound once, when I opened it up, one of the wires was loosely leaning against the CPU fan and would very occasionally be touching one of the blades, maybe open it up and take a peek.

what to use to clean dust from my PC? I used cans but they seem like a rip off.

>EVGA 650w G2 squeaks after 11months
>EVGA 750w G2 squeaks after 9 months
>EVGA 850w G2 squeaks potentially, after 5 months
this is a fucking joke no wonder these things have huge warranty if the bearings are cheap as fuck as I suspect. it could be a case fan in my 200R but given these PSU and their track record im not so sure. Maybe my 212 hyper evo
how to trouble shoot Jow Forums?

I don't think it's the wires either. I even stopped each individual fan and the sound wasn't coming from any of them.

There are electric dusters which function pretty similar to the compressed gas cans.

If I use a VPN can a router view my traffic? I remember at some point being able to view my search history with the tomato firmware.

Maybe it could be the power supply?

I built a little greenhouse thing with a humidifier and a heater, but now I need air circulation. I can get a computer fan for cheap and throw it in there, but what's the cheapest and easiest way to I power it? The obvious choice is plug it into a power supply then that to the outlet, but then I'd need to buy a cheap power supply which would cost a couple buck. Any cheaper ways to do this?

Should I be worried?

Yes,replace it asap

Best site to pirate college books? Used to have a really good russian one but lost it over the years.

Don't be worried, but definitely plan on it failing, to be safe. It could last you another few years or it could fail a week from now, there's no way to be sure, but it is showing signs of errors, so don't fully trust it.

Here is what it sounds like. What could it be?

vocaroo.com/i/s1qZ6e3YFioI

i want to use the smaller ones i tried the big white one and it didnt work for some reason can i get an adapter for the littler holes

What's a toolkit in regards to a desktop environment?

What is this Gadgets option that suddenly appeared on my right click?

Is it part of an update? Nothing happens if I click on it so how do I get rid of this useless thing?

Attached: 1547389654317.jpg (533x410, 31K)

Why do you answer questions on /sqt/?

Attached: 1367371357712.jpg (347x464, 39K)

gadgets came out with vista and were deprecated sometime ago in 7 i believe

Something to do between compiles

Mobile posters and dynamic IPs ruined this website. Bans mean absolutely nothing when evading is so pathetically easy, and as a result evading and shitposting is at an all time high.
Is there ANY way to make a functional ban system at this point?

Attached: 1519634214941.png (500x658, 183K)

Bruh, all you had to do was log out of aol and you'd get a new ip. Dunno the fuck you're talking about.
Same with comcast and version ADSL modems in the earyl 00's just unplug that faggot for 2 minutes and you got a new ip.

Its alot harder now, most routers cache your DHCP creds persistant through a reboot or an extended shutdown for faster bootup and less traffic for your isp. You gotta release the dhcp lease, disable the nic, unplug it for 15 minutes and hope the isp servers gave up your lease

I have never had to do anything more than spoof my router's mac

When you download an app from the Play Store, does the app developer get your email or any personal information?

99% of consumer level routers dont offer this function

Sometimes there are small power outages where I live, like a couple seconds. It's enough for the router to reboot itself because I don't have it on a UPS. When it comes back on it's always on a new IP and it's easy to notice if I happen to post in the same thread before and after the fact. And that's still not taking into account mobile shitposting and how simply turning off/on your data gives you a new IP anyway.
Besides, you didn't really answer my question. It's clear banning on a per IP basis isn't cutting it anymore because of how easily exploitable it is. The problem is I can't think of another way to deal with this without resorting to accounts cause fuck that, that's not the point of this place either. So, how else could it handled? CAN it be handled at all?

>power outage
And it couldnt possible be from the junction box also losing power... Or anything further down the line that also lost power, but before generator power could kick in...

>bans are a problem waaa waaaw aaa
Get some filters and you wont see the shit you dont want, more people that do it the less attention those fags get, the quicker they stop spamming(Ill give you two letters aye and tee)

All that can be done is filtering on a server level(such as content id) or wordfilters, or filtering locally.
Though if you're filtering 149 threads out of 150, maybe its you that is the problem and you should just fuck off and find somewhere else to troll.

>format USB drive
>it fails halfway for no reason
>now is write protected and can't be used

How do I fix this?

because I like being a helpful person! ^_^

format it again

I can't it says some thing like "data system not recognized" and "write protected"

Bullshit. If you can see it in /dev, you should be able to just zero it and fdisk it again.

How do you print the numbers 1 to 100 using FASM?

I have a Raspberry Pi connected to my TV that I connect to via SSH. I want to be able to take video files on my main computer and display them on the TV. I'm thinking I could set up a shared network drive and then place the files there. But after that I don't know how to initiate a command through SSH that would then cause it to be displayed on the TV. Any idea how to accomplish this? I just want to watch my animes on the TV without much trouble.

Attached: 1540855158634.jpg (1024x1024, 137K)

> two different rips of video file, both h264
> both 3gb for about 90 minute video
> one is 720p, one is 1080p
someone told me in this case (with the same bitrate) the 720p one will actually look better. Is that true?

>tells you what happens
>THATS IMPOSSIBLE YOU'RE TRICKING ME

smdh again it shows up on the drive list but it is empty and dataless. trying to format or put anything in it will say "write protected" or "data system not recognized"

Are you root?
Did you try unmounting it?
Did you try hdparm(8)? -r0 might work to disable write protection.

what happens if I plug a male to male usb cable from one of my usb ports into another one of the same pc's usb ports?

Attached: male to male usb.jpg (450x450, 45K)

>sup im computer A USB port X, i wait
>sup im computer B USB port X, i wait

That is it.

Yes did unplug replug
Already tried clear attribute readonly using cmd

>want to watch space patrol luluco
>can't find torrents of it anywhere
>decide to buy it
>BD is encrypted and can't be played back
What I get for spending money.

Anyway going to try makemkv. Using lubuntu 16.04. Anyone here have experience ripping Blurays on linux?

I have been on Windows 10 since the start. I have no idea why this popped up suddenly

If you're viewing it on 720p screen.

Official statement about gadgets
support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13787/gadgets-have-been-discontinued
Maybe you got one of these software installed recently and it re-added them?
howtogeek.com/277161/how-to-add-gadgets-back-to-windows-8-and-10-and-why-you-probably-shouldnt/

There is a torrent in nyaa user.

Basically I know nothing about GPUs, I have a 1050 that used to be silent on the games I played and I could control the fan speed with afterburner etc, then I tinkered with my pc replacing the PSU when I got a new gpu etc, now it gets loud playing the same game and none of the GPU control softwares works, afterburner etc. I switched back to my old 1050 and its still the same, my Windows 10 has ran out I get the activate windows watermark on the bottom corner of my screen, sometime told me that is the reason I can no longer control my fan speeds etc. Is this true, if so that will save me so much trouble, thanks.

Is there any way to make the thread watcher in Jow Forums x fit to the side bar like the quick reply window?

Well fuck. Though nyaa was down for good. I only looked through bakaBT and Tokyo Toshokan. How often does nyaa change links?

No, the country the original nyaa was hosted changed piracy laws so the owner closed it.
In all the years the original Nyaa was running it changed domains like 2-3 times.

Now there are 2 nyaas, nazi nyaa and pantsu nyaa.
Nyaa.si and pantsu.nyaa.cat .
Also just RIP the BD and watch it.

Sorry messed up the second link.
nyaa.pantsu.cat

Nyaa.si is handed by the anime cartel.
Pantsu.nyaa.cat is handled by "us" here in Jow Forums.

Both have the same content, its just in case if one goes down there is a backup.

ASSUMING i have a a screen and the cable is VGA and the graphics card input is HDMI will this cable allow me to link the screen to the graphics card input port?