Last thread:

Attached: nichijou.jpg (1280x720, 131K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/enfiskutensykkel
youtube.com/watch?v=f-3_pZcFjow
c418.bandcamp.com/album/one
youtube.com/watch?v=_byn8CEQaAE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Are there any languages like Ada, but with a large community and ecosystem that is open?

Rust,but the community sucks dick literally.

>and an ecosystem that is open
asking too much.
Either the ecosystem is controlled by the military-industrial complex or the ecosystem is controlled by some dictator company/person
Instances like C++ are rare.

Is specializing as a Data Engineer worth it? I've been writing Java for a while now and I'm starting to extend into technologies like Kafka, Hadoop, Spark, et cetera. Will I make as much money as data scientists???

I was actually think about Rust, but it doesn't have as strong as typing as Ada does right? That and the language is all over the place with syntax for lambdas and shiet.

Unfortunately for Ada both of those are true. Started out very closed source, now Adacore runs the shop. Adacore isn't too bad, but at the end of the day they were far too late and people were already onto C/C++/Java by the time Ada opened up.

Attached: 1545519871035.png (800x600, 525K)

Ruby a comf!

>Ada

Attached: e64bf6109bbe268da3d80a20e8e9b55733e840ece1ee5145a7ff8b2adf1a5c8b.png (1408x2890, 434K)

What's the matter?

Data Chefs make more money than Data Engineers and Data Scientists combined

Rust has stronger typing than Ada in some ways and weaker typing in others. If I may be so bold, it picks its battles a little more intelligently.

Software Chefs are better.

Data Chefs have nothing on Data Advocates

Software titles were a mistake.

Software artisans are the best

disgusting verbose shiet

The closure syntax is fine although it gets a little wonky if you're destructing a type in the argument list.

>C++
Controlled by Google, sorry.

>not being a technology evangelist

How long until data wranglers go extinct?

when they inevitably get tricked into ML'ing a cluster to do ML'ing itself.

Pony is the closest thing I know of, but the language is still pre-1.0, so few people ship code written in it. Excluding compiler bugs, the only place crashes can happen are in external FFI calls.

Also known as the beginning of the death of humanity

Attached: 1500351354280.jpg (900x900, 166K)

bad example. i smell pajeet

I'm a soon to be software engineering student with a relatively basic background in C. The core of my first semester is centered around object oriented software development (Java) and I've been told it would be hugely beneficial to gain some experience in Java before the year begins. I have about 4 weeks before the year starts, what do you think the best way to learn some Java in this time would be?

What version of Jaba the hut?

check last thread!

Haskell

Isn't Haskell only GC?

data scientist = sql query

data engineer = AI code

be real and dont use word that sound nice.

>data engineer = AI code
Why can't software engineers write AI code?

AI = ML

software developer = javascript

software engineer = c

be real and dont use word that sound nice

Programming is something that I want to like but I don't know if I actually like it or not.

Attached: gucci.jpg (838x630, 69K)

you can do that. it just that main job for data engineer is to right AI, less freedom.

You can learn it and have it as a tool if you need it, then relearn it but you'll learn it again faster

LOL you fucking wish. In the real world, those terms are interchangeable. See Microsoft's job titles and Google's job titles.

I won't know until I start

Will do, thanks.

You're still one step above me, programming is something I know I should like but I p. much hate it

based

Why would you ever want to do programming as a profession? The most fun i've ever had with programming is doing things I wanted to do. Being told what to do seems pretty boring. I can only imagine what's it like to be a legacy maintainer at some bank.

> anecdote from software engineer.

That is 100% true.

i dont particularly hate STEM, but omg if software developer and software engineer was gamemode with same end goal. software developer is easy mode while software engineer is hard mode without any benefit

>legacy maintainer at some bank.
you make bank

Wrong. Data engineer = sql query and running normal clustering algorithms with no changes or thoughts, data scientist = mix of inhouse mturk worker and sql query.
Machine learning engineer = copy-paste someone else's machine learning code and run that incorrectly because you don't understand shit, realize it's just barely better than random, call it therefore the best thing ever.

Is money worth the soul draining though?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

>Why would you ever want to do programming as a profession?
people need money to live

I can learn syntax online, but I'm not ever taught about things like program memory, or the concept of a stack, which I still dont really know what it is, I just see people mention it.

Attached: 1476243078955.jpg (858x1200, 237K)

which one of those are you?

None of these because I have a PhD. Had the immense displeasure to work with all of them though.

Cope
Work is work; to make money not to have fun.
If you manage to get both good for you but work is not playtime.

are you the Norse guy?

programming is like watching 100 model trains at once. your autism is weak

No. Also no clue who that is. I'm a yuropoor working in NYC.

This is why I work at a startup and not a megacorp.

i meant Norwegian guy.

did you do your PhD in the US? or they offered you a job there?

>you need redpill

>I work at a startup
what do you work with?

It's a small robotics startup since I live in a robotics town. There's lots of place trying to get in on it.

Both. PhD in yurop doesn't work the same way as in the US. Beside the retarded publish or die shitshow, it's actually a better model than just slave for a company for 3 years and get your free shiny paper. Actually lets you do real research.

>startup
So you write webapps for people that don't care?

>since I live in a robotics town
0_0

sweet. wasn't doing a PhD in the US hard in terms of entering the country?

Not every startup is a webshit company.
You get what I mean.

Good early startups are actually the best place to work at by far. It's the only way you will ever get a chance to do meaningful work, and the only way you'll ever be promoted without doing IT for a shop with no other tech people in the entire company.
The key is to find out if your startup is good before jumping in, and that's not the easiest thing to do. Also, late startups behave similar to early big companies, namely it's full of backstabbing, lies, and betrayal, which is why it's important that it's an early startup.

Who ? link

what are the robots programmed in?

python?

I'm getting to end of my first project
What are some boxes I need to check before pushing it to github and making sure it doesn't look retarded

Attached: 1449301132983.jpg (567x699, 87K)

>Who ? link
github.com/enfiskutensykkel

Nobody is going to care, push it anyways. If it's your first project it's going to be shit somehow anyways

No. We're mainly a C++ shop. For prototyping we decide at the start as to what to use, but it's typically dynamic languages.

don't publish the node_modules folder

Attached: 1547428446238.gif (660x780, 201K)

Not really. Education is one of the easier ways to get in (since jobs are more of a catch-22 kind of thing). It's not even much paperwork compared to grant applications. If you know English and you have an advanced degree, you're pretty certain to get in.

* Is it useful
* Why should people use it
* Why is it being published
* What is the meaning of it
* Does anything already do its functionality
* Why choose yours
* Is the code well written
* Does it even have comments

>Does it even have comments
developer accused of unreadable code refuses to comment

>backstabbing, lies, and betrayal
.. i want easy life and a life outside of the work.
maybe next lifetime.

Attached: senor.gif (500x250, 1.53M)

* Is the code readable
* Do the function names and arguments tell you what it will do
* Do you use variable names or do you prescribe to the RNG naming train of though

dumb frogposter

Don't join a company that is not making profit.

>when we make it big, you'll all get paid, so, GET TO WORK

>working for free in 2019
>ever

>robotics town
Geographic coordinate?

>not paying freelancers in exposure

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 19K)

What licence do I pick?
haha, I've done that once before figuring out how git.ignore works
However it's a C application
It's a Chip 8 emulator, so the usefulness is null.
I posted my code on here before and was carried a pajeeet, but others thought it was alright code.
meaning was to learn and practice
It does currently possess a dearth of comments
I use C style function names and variable names, so the function names are descriptive, and the variables tend to be a random letter for counters and temp variables

Attached: thingy_with_the_tongue_out.png (595x720, 607K)

>called a pajeet
typo

Ever wonder why citizens are not allowed to go to the south pole on their own? Ever wonder why the Nazi uboats went to the south pole and never came back? There's a whole world under the south pole that is hidden from reality.

You use the license that is the same as the licenses of sources you used, or you pick whatever because it doesn't matter for your first project.

big if true

>What licence do I pick?
MIT if you respect your users.
>It's a Chip 8 emulator, so the usefulness is null.
Don't worry about the license, no one is going to care.

Post your programming music
youtube.com/watch?v=f-3_pZcFjow

Attached: entire cake.gif (540x304, 2.91M)

Surely you could get a boat and go there

stop this if you ever work on something if you are here u just shitposting.
Go back to your local machine

c418.bandcamp.com/album/one

You think you can, but they won't let you get to it. Just watch: youtube.com/watch?v=_byn8CEQaAE

Untitled by Cherry MX

Attached: bug time.jpg (920x1162, 107K)

I'm on a train and my thinpads battery is broken

Attached: snek.gif (400x480, 443K)

your brainlet is broken stop with the anime anone go back to your local machine

>webshit
>I'm not paying
>You just lost my _business_ kid

Attached: 1436641056588.jpg (249x228, 14K)