Professional Programmer Q&A

been in the industry (bay area tech) for around ~3 years, what do you want to know?

Attached: professional.jpg (2000x1333, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/hw2pnDt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

do you poo in loo or do you have a designated street?

i do the needful

How much does it resemble Tijuana by now? Last time I've been there was 5 years ago and I didn't like it very much..

What's the word on the street about working for FB?

It sucks.

Work for a smaller company. Working for one of the big companies is a terrible meme too many young devs fall for.

Why?

As an ex-bay area techy, why do you still live there when you can get the same wage in Seattle, no state tax, lower cost of living, and access to real nature?

what kind of buzzwords do I need to put on a non-tech resume to get a pleb junior dev job

Sucks how/why?

SF is pretty shit, full of human feces
the peninsula is nice, lots of rich surburban neighborhoods

I have a different take. Work for a big tech company for a couple years, you'll be wowed by their benefits for a bit. Then when you're bored and exhausted, you quit, but your resume is made for life.

Not him, but FB supposedly has a worse work/life balance than even Amazon. And in general, big tech companies require more office politics/ass-kissing for career progression compared to smaller companies.

of FAANG, FB is the most cutthroat + fastest growth potential. it's heavily product oriented, which some people don't like, as it can be stressful

I'm young, 3 years out of college. there's really no need for me to settle down like that, yet. I don't think the 5% net income saved by moving to seattle outweighs the change in income available from shopping around for companies in the bay

nature is a meme

recruiters have their own random things they care about, but once you get past them just make sure you can do those coding challenges. some recruiters are fucking moronic imgur.com/hw2pnDt

FB here. The work is absolutely not worth the pay and there is essentially no room for career progression. My management is a loud and proud squad of liberals that wave it in my face every day.

How do I get a part time gig or at least a remote gig I can functionally work part time? Don't care if I'm making significantly less money my expenses are minimal.

it's worth noting that these companies are fucking massive, and comparing them is kinda useless without specifics.

there are low and high stress positions in all the companies. I think the delta between the average work life balance of amzn and fb is within the noise

I'm wondering the same fucking thing. I've worked at google and MS. I can make $200k/year working for them 40 hours per week, but why can't I get paid $50k/year working 10 hours per week or full time 3 months out of the year? Companies that pay less still make me work the same hours.

not for long you WHITE CIS MALE

from what I understand, it is incredibly rare to get long term remote work. however, if you create an OSS project that is used heavily by the company you can probably negotiate a remote position.

what org are you in? are you on blind?

How to get an internship as a CS student

portfolio of 3+ hackathon competitions

hint - the idea matters more than the tech. steal ideas from winners of other competitions

How to get a job at FAANG as an already graduated CS student, out of school for a year? I have some Python projects online that I've been doing since I graduated...

language doesn't matter much, but if they are heavily used projects that'll certainly get you an interview

No, they're completely unused. Should I be trying to build a popular project?

No, build as unpopular of a project as possible, then try to get a position working on Apple TV or Google+

How do you make it from working in flyover country to one of the relevant cities for software?

How many Poojeets do you see doing development/programming? Is it getting worse?

how it feels to be a slave?

>do the needful
>FAANG
>leetcode
>TC or GTFO
>Did my recruiter give me a lowball offer? TC 290k, 1.5YOE
>I got lowballed with an L5 offer at FANG, but I think I should be E6 at least. TC 430k
>How to negotiate my offer with G? TC 480k, 2 YOE.
>2.5 yrs out of college, but TC is only 350k. I feel underpaid?
Blind faggots are an even greater cancer than plebbitors.

Does money make anyone else sick?

Nah but if you could pay for a doctor maybe you could get better

TC?

Salary

you missed the meme

Top 5 tips for a yung CS freshman to get ahead

Attached: TAD_0.png (450x399, 223K)

how do one werk for only 20hrs a week and make $120k base + 80k RS?

Can you get a job as a white male?
I currently work as a software engineer for backend java rest apis and have a BS in SWE from a shitty local school in the rockies.

1-4) dye hair blonde
5) graduate from MIT, Stanford, CMU or Berkley

Attached: hackers.jpg (970x545, 208K)

200k TC at 20hrs billed or 20hrs effectively worked? I'd just go for a standard 40hrs billed and find a comfy team at MS that maintains an already built product

>Can you get a job as a white male?
Yes. If you can't get a programming job and blame it on your race (white, black, asian, etc.) you're just incompetent.

either, I thought most MAFANG jobs are crazy hours due to 'talent'. Is it possible to jump through the interview hoops and then be mediocre once on the job, or is that a guarantee to be weeded out?

>Finish last semester of CS degree
>Have psychotic break right after
>Spend year seeing psych doctors, doing fucked up psych drugs.
>Finally OK, start interviewing
>Get hit by a car.
>Spend another year going to physio/doctors.
>Become an alcoholic
Is there any hope for me lads? How do I explain the gaps? It has been 2 years. I graduated near top of my class. At this point I might just go full black hat. Companies are such fucking selective cunts these days. You don't need a brain to write your shitty crud app.

What is a good entry level position to gun for after I grad with a bachelors in software engineering and a 3.93 GPA?
If you want to know what I want to do, I want to (eventually) make indy games, but in my free time.

Attached: Batman_CIA.gif (280x358, 2.53M)

>~$200k saved
>highly transferable skills
>able to quit and resume whenever I want
>work with helpful field experts daily
pretty good

>code monkey
>highly transferable skill

>MAFANG
kek

its mostly a matter of just playing the game. there will be hoops but I am familiar with stories of MS employees being bottle-necked by biz-dev and working 10-20hr weeks as a result. shit work, but someone has to do it, and there is no distinction between other engineers (save for growth opportunity)

>might just go full black hat
lel, good luck

I don't think companies are very selective "these days." there is more money than ever and all the big boys are willing to spend on anything that even smells like talent to maintain their monopolies

Having worked at two of them, the interviews are actually fun challenges. If my full time jobs were like that I'd have had a great time. A lot of the actual jobs was dealing with bureaucracy, deprecated libraries, being blocked, and mostly uninteresting tasks. Some people worked longer hours but it didn't seem to affect their success either way.

>the interviews are actually fun challenges

Nice joke. Whiteboard interviews are the opposite of fun.

levels.fyi
E3 is standard, but you can probably get promo'd quickly if you're any good

I really enjoy whiteboard interviews. I don't have to deal with ever-changing requirements. I don't have to talk to project managers. I don't have to deal with some weird third party library where when a table only has one row the data structure fucking changes and all the standard methods have different default parameters. I know exactly what the deadline is.
I'm just solving an algorithmic challenge that's either absurdly easy or reasonably interesting. Then after I finish that, I get to tell the interviewer about how great I am. What's not to love?

I think the autists don't like the fact that the open source project they slave over for years don't necessarily translate into a useful skillset at the workplace as much as inverting a binary tree does

The real problem they have is that they don't realize that the whiteboard interview is testing multiple skills. You have to already know how to program in some language, obviously. You have to be able to solve problems. But you also have to be able to communicate.
If someone asks you to invert a binary tree, and you don't know what they mean, you don't have to sperg out. You can just ask them. And they'll tell you. That's the communication step. From there, if you can't solve something like that, you've demonstrated that you lack fundamentals.
Once you get through that, then you can talk about your random FLOSS to differentiate yourself from the other qualified candidates, if there are any.