/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Requesting purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: abc639419b1128046a0d7e8b3871440d.jpg (2400x1200, 1.56M)

Other urls found in this thread:

zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

stax

FIRST for BEYERS

Attached: beyer.jpg (525x897, 90K)

What's worse is this is in flight... who the hell thought we need open back headphones in the loud cabin?

I would suck on those toes.

Post hands

where is the pic from?

me

Dunno, this has been sitting in my headphone girl folder for too long, can't remember the name of the artist at this point.

What's the best headphone /hpg/ recommends?

No budget.

see first post

Can't wait for my PROFESSIONAL QUALITY headphones to arrive

Attached: Screenshot_20190113-153103_eBay.jpg (1080x692, 146K)

HD800S
forget everything else, just get this.

But seriously though, you guys in the high end can't even agree on what's a good set of open-backed headphones (which aren't even portable to begin with), and there's so much snake oil surrounding what you discuss.

zmf aeolus besta 800s

Reason I'm asking this is for my first high end headphone purchase.

What's besta headphone?

>zmf

Attached: zmf.jpg (1920x1280, 291K)

stax

>zmf

Attached: zmf2.png (1440x900, 174K)

>this is for my first high end headphone purchase.
Buy something from a respectable company that actually hires sound engineers, like Sennheiser. Don't spend money on something built by a random nobody who started by convincing idiots to buy overpriced mods to a shitty entry level planar. This is like buying a RPG made entirely by a Skyrim modder.

One of these zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/

Or just look up reviews and stop listening to retards on Jow Forums

sennheiser agrees that electrostatics are the best performing headphone technology, that is why their top of the line orpheus flagship is electrostatic
ergo, you should be purchasing an electrostatic headphone (STAX)

I mean HD 800 was on my list already. I might try the DT 1990 just to see. Stax were on my list too. I did like the LCD-X so I wanted to try some of the other Audeze headphones. Focal clear seemed alright too.
I did maybe want to try the TH-900/909. Do you think those are good options?

SR omega and 4070. Pair it with t2 and I'll be impressed

>stop listening to retards on Jow Forums
Because you should instead listen to the remarkable audiofool who buys products entirely built and designed by someone who has no background in engineering and acoustics, who made it big by buying a cheap headphone, the T50RP, which retails at $150, and selling it at price premiums after ricing it up.

If you can try everything why don't you? It's pointless to come here and attract trolls.

cute drawing of me
although I already made that comment about the exact same OP in the past

What does that have to do with anything. They sound better. end of story. How about go to an audiophile meetup and actually listen to them then talk, dumbass.

>2018
>not being part of the 64 Audio Master Race

Attached: 20190113_104545.jpg (1600x778, 193K)

>not linking him to csg

I've heard them all at CanJam and my favorite are:

ZMF biocellulose drivers (Eikon for closed or Auteur for open). The only negative about these is the weight, but its pretty comfortable with the strap.

Audeze LCD4 is also pretty good, but the more budget friendly LCD-2C will get you 80% there.

Attached: 5F5AAE43-1462-45BB-A1A2-B3B14F537FC6.jpg (2048x1536, 294K)

Not him, but that's a terrible idea. Why would anyone want to do that?

ZMF shills LOL
Get th900 with Lawton museum grade cups, sounds and looks miles better.

I think you should try the TH-900 and 909. And post comments here.

Don't do this OP.

Fostex TH900 is pretty good if overpriced, but do not get the Lawton grade cups. They completely ruin the acoustics.

If you can audition them all you should indeed depend more on yourself than third party views.
With that said, if you're the sort to live h24 with headphones on at home or/and at the office, something you forget is even on your head like the HD800S will be an invaluable buy, even if as a secondary pair to whatever's your favorite.

t. never heard one.
He does a good job replicating the cups, if you use stock sponge material you won't hear the difference

I'll try them.
Well I don't have unlimited time to travel hours on end to the audio store. It's a little hard so I want a general direction of what is regarded as good.
I did hear about them so I'll try them. LCD4 seem so expensive for the sound though idk.
I'll post all of the impressions of the headphones I do try.
I did try the HD 800s the headphone really fell off me a lot and the headband felt a little noticeable. I want more time with it though.

>looks miles better.
uh, I won't say anything about the sound since I didn't hear them, but the pictures don't leave me with a feeling of "looks miles better". The wood texture looks like the sort of gaudy stuff boomer women in their 60s like, while wearing panther coats. Are you a boomer woman?

Attached: panther.jpg (2736x3648, 2.36M)

dt1990

Guarantee you own open back headphones

L700 is a very good headphone

The best headphones I've ever heard are the HD800S and the HD600. Take it from me, I'm a speaker fag so I'm not blinded by extreme headphone only audiophile bias. HD600 sounds closest to good speakers in a treated room. HD800S sounds like a large open concert hall with an airy presentation. Literally the only two headphones you need.

Speakers don't sound like shit user, no matter how hard you want them to.

>HD600 sounds closest to good speakers
when your speakers are multimedia dell desktop speakers with no sub

If you put speakers in a brick room then they'll sound like shit no matter what
Headphones don't require a sound room to sound good

I'll try it. Was on my list lol
Pretty high on my list. From what I hear they are decent but maybe not worth it for the price.
HD 800s I heard and the HD 600.
The HD 800s the best part of them was the soundstage and imaging by far. It was unreal and no other headphone I ever tried could come close. The mids to me were fine nothing amazing to say. The bass though was lacking, if that could be helped then it would be perfect. But I want a second evaluation to make sure everything I said is correct.
HD 600:
I really didn't like it. The soundstage was narrow, imaging was sorta spotty... not great. The treble seemed a little low for me, the bass was lacking for me too. The Mids were amazing though and can be the redeemable quality of them. Just not enough to redeem them for myself.

I find it unlikely, but I wonder if anyone auditioned or owns the Focal Elegia here?

>HD 600:
>I really didn't like it. The soundstage was narrow, imaging was sorta spotty... not great. The treble seemed a little low for me, the bass was lacking for me too.
This is what the vast majority of us see in the HD600. There's like the one or two fanboy haunting the board here who never posts setup but shills this headphone like there's no tomorrow. It has good mids, and that's about it.

>It has good mids
Wow so the most important part is good. Got it.

Not him, but I've heard mids just as good on headphones that also have most other things. I'm sure they were great back in 1997.

They are a diffuse field tuned headphone.

I value bass and treble too desu.

It has bass and treble, just no sub bass.

not enough of it. The sound stage and imaging are terrible too.

Look I know they're memephones but the HD600 is not bad. Stop memeing.

I tried a few Audio 64s yesterday and pretty much all of them had amazing points but ruined their price tag with another flaw. U12T had the best treble I’ve ever heard ruined by nobass, U18T had strong muscular bass ruined by buzzsaw treble, Fourte just sounded iffy as fuck...

It's not dollarstore headphone level sure but the world has moved on from no bass, no treble, no soundstage.
No headphone generates more thread of buyer's remorse on the internet than the HD600 and HD650. HD6XX less so because it's sold dirt cheap to people with low expectations and almost no headphone experience. Those same people end up trading their HD6XX for something better down the line when they become more motivated from experience decent audio or if they can afford it.

The HD600 shills in this thread are awful man I don’t understand how you could worship a dated piece of shit so hard. Do they not realize that by shilling this much they’re only making other people hate it?

>HD600 is shit
>shills stax, which are just as bad

There it is, the “if you aren’t A you must be B” argument. This thread is even worse than party politics because at least party politics somewhat matter.

>See praise for the hd6xx everywhere
>Come here, everyone hates them
What the fuck

Because on reddit and headfi the people buying them are upgrading from Beats and other actual shitphones. In reality the HD6XX are just another ok midfi can. The problem is that there are 2 people on here that worship them obsessively and refuse to believe anything better could exist and it leads to a kneejerk reaction of hatred.

Do exactly the opposite of 4chinnel. See buttcoin for example and digimarines. So don't get stax or beyers and get sennheiser.

Lawton pls go and stop shilling your shitty overpirced cups

It's a blessing for Sennheiser that they only really exist as a two man crew on /hpg/ because Sennheiser would find it impossible to even introduce a replacement with superior drivers if they were as numerous as /hpg/ may let the channer layman think.
>>See praise for the hd6xx everywhere
>>Come here, everyone hates them
The HD6XX is popular among certain type of personalities because it exploits one of the weakest point of human psychology : the lack of self control over seeing a bargain that seems too good to be true.
The HD6XX became popular when the HD650 used to retail at around $350 to $400. By selling it at $200 it predisposed a certain type of retard to buy it without even knowing whether it was good nor not solely based on the "I am saving $200 on this!! bargain of the century I must buy!!!"
For the same reason the 58X is very unlikely to become a hit. It's a new headphone that doesn't have an equivalent higher priced counterpart. Meaning people don't feel like they're getting something out of this.

Btw I bought them full price as the HD 650 and this is the most fun I have with them, besides putting them on from time to time to remind myself of how deaf and tasteless people who pretend to like them are.

Attached: lolheiser123.jpg (2445x959, 462K)

In reality though when you’re buying Sennheiser’s 20 year old midrange you’re really not getting anything out of it compared to something more recent. The HD800 still holds up because it’s only 10 years old but the 6 series is just bad.

Can't wait for a $600 HD8XX and a HD1000 flagship.

who cares about headphones and music

idk i just use speakers to watch yuri anime

Why make a new flagship when people gobble up your obsolete products just because of the model name?

Reminder:

HD600 is crappy outdated shit with no bass and no soundstage.

STAX is crappy outdated shit with no bass and enemic sound, plus you have to keep it under a fucking plastic bag or it gets ruined (LMFAO) and its uncomfortable as fuck and shit tier build.

Anyone who says otherwise is the same type of person who says that CRT monitors are better than modern IPS monitors, that vinyl sounds better than digital music and that typewriters are better than word processors: complete contrarian faggots.

Attached: chad alpha height.png (597x597, 846K)

>HD600 is crappy outdated shit with no bass and no soundstage.
Are you truly turning against your boyfriend Sapphire, Nikita? That is one unexpected turn of events.

What headphones are you guys using?

it depends
and did I forget to tell you that it depends?

Don't forget that beyerdynamic is treble rape garbage for fat untermensch LARPers and retarded boomers with hearing loss.

Can’t wait to see Nikita duke it out with Sapphire now lul, battle of the autists

But Stax are good. If you think Stax are “shit”, you are a moron and shouldn’t involve yourself with any sort of audio community.

>fat

Attached: beyerchan.jpg (1754x1240, 347K)

*and mentally ill tranny faggots

You know posting that image doesn’t really do any favors for the Beyer team right?

>Can’t wait to see Nikita duke it out with Sapphire now lul, battle of the autists
Man, if sapphire engages Nikita, they will end up in an endless feedback loop, the thread will be 90% posts made by these two.

Their iem (Xelento) is pretty decent and they work as a studio headphone.

But anyone who listens to it at home should be gassed.

So what music does everyone here listen to?

harsh noise and power electronics, sometimes i go for seralism and new complexity as well

I'm just here for good audio, HD600s are fine
HD800s look like shit
Anyone who puts down others choice of headphones are functionally retarded

the much lauded L300 has >nobass and plastic shit build

Why does everyone here shit on all headphones? No one is ever like “X is a good headphone, but I happen to prefer Y for the following reasons..” it’s always “your headphones are fucking dog shit and you’re a goddamned moron for owning them!”

surely you meant to type HD600
ill forgive your typo, it happens

Metal, rock and classical mostly

But you said the entire brand is “shit”. That’s objectively false.

I’ve recently got into classical and noticed albums vary widely on quality. Is there a specific recording company, orchestra, etc. that I should look for to get high quality recordings?

>recording company
based retard

Classical music is filled with fools who are obsessed with pre-80s recordings with extremely noisy backgrounds/mics/annoying vinyl noise.
Just look for anything that's not older than you are and you will be doing fine.

The L300 has bass though even without a pad swap. It just sounds a lot fuller after a pad mod/swap.

>admitting being a neophyte
>”lol this retard doesn’t have basic knowledge of the subject”
No shit, that was the entire point of my post.

>s-stop making fun of me ;(
If you don’t know the term record label then you’re definitely underage. It’s not even a classical music specific thing either.

You understood what I meant. Why be an asshole?