>2019
>STILL can't decode DTS-HD and Dolby HD on my computer
Do I seriously need to buy an A/V receiver to decode this shit?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (474x289, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lifewire.com/what-is-bitstream-1846846
wiki.videolan.org/VLC_Features_Formats/
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966
dvd-guides.com/guides/blu-ray-rip/254-dts-hd-how-to-rip-it
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Well, what are you trying to accomplish with it? Using a pc as a media hub?
I've given up on using my computers bluray drive years ago, home media hates pc's, even though everything gets ripped regardless.

LAV filters decode and can bitstream DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD
WTF are you on about?

Attached: LAV.png (576x460, 22K)

>Do I seriously need to buy an A/V receiver to decode this shit?
yes, get an onkyo, you'll never go back

I bought a blu-ray drive for my i7-920 build almost 10 years ago and I think I used it once to play an actual blu-ray movie. Complete waste of money

Hijacking OP to ask if you need a new receiver to decode the latest formats. I got gifted a Pioneer VSX-1019 last week from a family member which was a $500 receiver back in 2009. Is it still functional for 4k blu-ray content for example?

>if you need a new receiver to decode the latest formats
yes, unless you decodes it on the computer

You're full of shit m8, ffmpeg do have support for DTS-HD

>bitsream
Don't you need an A/V receiver to decode the bitstream?

What do you think the LAV Audio Decoder is doing?

fuck all.
lifewire.com/what-is-bitstream-1846846
Look, you still need a receiver to decode the bitsream to PCM>

Question for you then
I have a few sets of PC speakers, Logitech Z5500, X-530 and Bose Companion 5.
Playing movies with DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD plays through the speakers - I believe LAV decodes the stream and downmixes to the the appropriate channels if set.
The Z5500 has optical (and coaxial) and can itself decode Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS. So, these formats can be played as true surround sound.
How different would the sound quality of a hardware decoder for TrueHD or DTS-HD vs using LAV w/o bitstreaming?
How much better are TrueHD and DTS-HD over the standards the Z5500 can decode?

I have no idea. If you turn bitsreaming off, I'm almost positive you won't get DTS-HD at all, and it will just use the movie's stereo track.

Well I get surround sound out of all of my speakers and they're hooked up via analog. Additionally, there are no stereo tracks to fall back on.

This.
You don't have any knowledge of digital formats at all.

>The Z5500 has optical
SPDIF? Bitsreaming works over SPDIF.
Additionally, depending on the movie, it might have a "non-TrueHD" surround track.

There's no demand because almost nobody uses 5.1 speakers on their desktop. If you want it, just get an AV receiver and put it on your desk.

DTS and Dolby HD are shit don't bother analog direct is superior in every way

The toslink formats on the z5500 sound like shit stick with analog

I've thought the speakers sounded better with analog compared to optical
>toslink
Is toslink and SPDIF the same thing?
Please share any more knowledge about speakers.

Tjis but unironically
No toshiba link red light fiber is not the same

>No toshiba link red light fiber is not the same
Any chance you could turn this into English? Thanks

TrueHD works.
wiki.videolan.org/VLC_Features_Formats/
Apparently DTS-HD works, but only with a hacky combination of some guy's ghetto-rigged command line program and a dll from a commercial package, and only on Windows.
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966

The VLC thing looks the same as LAV filters
You second link to Eac3to just seems like an audio converter

I'm getting that info from here dvd-guides.com/guides/blu-ray-rip/254-dts-hd-how-to-rip-it
Is says you can use it for encoding, so I assume it's not just a bitsream.

Bitstreaming means decoding is done by a receiver. What OP wants is LAV Filters doing the decoding, which it can do and also bitexact.

They both use the onboard decoder resulting in the same flat quiet sound .
When your sub or control pod die save the satellites, they are actually good and can be removed from the shit enclosures via screws under the rubber things that hold the speaker grilles

meant to quote

Nigga if you aren't ripping high quality BluRay rips for 75 cents after promo from RedBox you're doing it wrong senpai

Kind of - you won't have Atmos or the DTS equivalent but you'll still have MA and TrueHD, and Atmos is backwards compatible.

You also won't get 4k out of that receiver and they're all dying now because Pioneer used bad capacitors.

Dolby atmos is a meme?

>he doesn’t use MPC