"Let's say you want to delete all files within a directory under a certain specific extension"

"Let's say you want to delete all files within a directory under a certain specific extension"
"On a file manager with a user interface you normally would have to pick each file one by one and then delete them"
"But on a terminal, you can just use the rm command"
In what fucking world does this demented boomer live? doesn't he know that pretty much any file manager be it Window's explorer, Mac's Finder or any decent Linux file manager has a search function built in? and all of them even search recursively and all you have to do is literally just type ".PNG" or whichever extension you want, select everything and delete it.
I also find it funny that this dumb fuck doesn't even realize that rm unlinks files, that is, they don't get moved to the trash, so basically, if you fuck up your shit is all gone and unrecoverable.

Attached: file.png (798x491, 906K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pvjSNoGL1-g&feature=youtu.be
linguistics.arizona.edu/user/luke-smith
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I also find it funny that this dumb fuck doesn't even realize that rm unlinks files, that is, they don't get moved to the trash, so basically, if you fuck up your shit is all gone and unrecoverable.
mv *.png ~/.local/share/Trash

write rm -rf on a gun and shot yourself

SEETHING WINTODDLER

>search
>highlight
>delete
>confirm delete
vs
>rm *.extension

>deletes files so he can delete them again
>makes mistakes

>*.png
>ctrl+a
>delete
>enter

>shot yourself
Learn how the present perfect tense works you fucking braindead monkey
Does the idea that the user might want to delete all .JPEG files EXCEPT this or that one? now, compare doing that on a GUI versus doing that using rm. You're all fucking Luke cocksuckers, kill yourselves.

mv trapass.jpg ~/Pictures && rm -rf *.jpg

Oh wow so hard.

None of these address the issue pointed here what if the user wants to actually pick certain files that were found using the search function of the GUI and deselect these specific files and not move them to the trash/delete them permanently? You'll never convince anyone that doing that on a terminal is better. Face it, no one wants to use a fucking terminal for managing files (and for a good reason). Unless you're Luke or one of his cocksuckers that unironically use ranger haha.

Then use thumbnail mode in sxiv.
Just because you're a nigger and can't use the terminal doesn't mean it's bad.

At the end of the day, I can use GUI or terminal as I please.
Niggers like you can only use the GUI and sourgrapes over the command line.
youtube.com/watch?v=pvjSNoGL1-g&feature=youtu.be

Luke "Fastest scripter in the West" Smith

This guy needs to get a real job desu

>"pick each file one by one"
>sort by: type
>shit+click on the last one
little kids are normally a bit retarded by design, but not this much

>sort by type
>having to scroll through tens-of-thousands of items to find/guess where the filetype you want ends
Nigger, just use search.
Normies are even more retarded than i though

This is not difficult.

find . -regex .*\.jpg | grep -v "file to exclude" | xargs rm

Attached: 1528981500063.jpg (1526x1600, 346K)

>hur dur you just have to search and then select everything and then confirm that you really understand what you're doing and that you're a consenting adult over 18 and you're 100% sure you want to do it and then empty your garbage bin. It's just as fast.
>being such a retard that you think the delete function not deleting your files is a good thing

Attached: brainletpit.png (1416x1600, 606K)

>"scroll"
nigga YOU are retarded

I wonder which person I should listen to: Terry A. Davis, a lunatic who made a lackluster operating system that is supposed to be educational but doesn't bother actually shipping it properly in a way that even a 5 year old could learn a thing or two from it (that kid would most likely learn better from homebrew OSdev forums and homebrew PC guides) ooor maaaybe I don't know, someone who actually knows his shit and made a proper ready-to-use system (Torvalds).
Did you even watch his video? those are his words, I mean, even if you didn't watch his garbage content you could at least deduct that by knowing what people use quotation marks for.

there's plenty of other stuff that terminal is nice for that you can't really do properly in a file manager.

That, plus you can pick the headers to sort by file extension and then select whatever you like.

This guy is a meme. He even uses a command line image viewer. He literally types in the command to open his image viewer program, then some flags to open it in full screen or the background color for transparent PNGs, then enters the path to open the image file. Whereas you could double click on the file in a normal file manager like a normal person.

oh yeah because this is SOOO much easier than a GUI file manager.

Torvalds is a moron.
You probably are a nigger. No, you ARE a nigger, I can tell just from the way you type.

Attached: terry blackest.jpg (1294x478, 115K)

He's a fucking linguist, that's almost gender studies tier.

>This guy is a meme. He even uses a command line image viewer. He literally types in the command to open his image viewer program, then some flags to open it in full screen or the background color for transparent PNGs, then enters the path to open the image file. Whereas you could double click on the file in a normal file manager like a normal person.
Imagine actually thinking Luke does this.

Attached: brainlet.png (645x729, 77K)

Frankly, in terms of time to accomplish the task at hand it is. Even more so when paired with a fast terminal file manager like lf or nnn so you don't have to waste time changing directories.

Attached: 1515946418282.jpg (1280x1280, 868K)

I don't have to imagine, I've seen him do that.

>Luke is a total fucking idiot: Exhibit F-231.81
how are you surprised

whats wrong with typing out your software and pressing tab to autocomplete??

Ctrl-A, then Ctrl-D. No "Are you sure?" messages in sight.

Attached: cringe camera pepe.png (597x418, 132K)

The problem with command line is, and he casually didn't mention this in his latest rant video, that you have to memorize a shitton of commands. I don't mean for this image viewer alone, but for the entire system. Tons of commands. And unless you take pride in how much shit you can memorize, there is no point in using command line.

Go post this in his youtube comment section. It's funny you need a whole thread dedicated to this. You aren't Luke himself, are you?

But it is a good idea, though. If you ever accidentally deleted something, you can easily get it back. Empty the trash at your leisure. What's the issue there?

Maybe OP doesn't have a YouTube account. I don't.

>If you ever accidentally deleted something, you can easily get it back
Ctrl+Z

what kind of retard goes around accidentally deleting things, the stupidity of wintoddlers never stops amazing me.

In windows explorer, sort by filetype, click the first, then shift click the last, and hit delete. I imagine mac's finder are similar

Your method includes multiple dashes, slashes and other symbols that could lead to the user mistyping something and at that point, the GUI user has already completed his job. Actually, supposing that the guy with a GUI doesn't have his mouse pointer set to move at the speed of a snail he will outspeed you anyway.
Hey Levi you cuck, while Tery is a funny guy, quoting him is merely cringeworthy at best. He's an overused meme. Get on with the times.
No need for a prompt to confirm this action (no file manager does this unless you're messing around with system files). Also, that's why you have a trash directory.
>being such a retard that you think the delete function not deleting your files is a good thing
That's what the "empty trash" function is for you absolute dumbfuck.

I thought spergs and autists were supposed to be good with computers

Like you've never made a mistake before. Never accidentally selected and deleted all despite the fact that you wanted to keep a single specific file?
It's just nice to have a safety net, even if you'll never use it.

Memorizing commands is something you do once because they make simple tasks faster and complex tasks easier. The effort is worth it because of the power they bring.

Attached: 1531336898077.jpg (500x682, 70K)

>^spacebar
>.png
>cmd+a
>cmd+backspace
7 keystrokes
>rm *.png
8 keystrokes

Yeah retard, but how many keystrokes did it take for you to get into that directory? also, that doesn't do SHIT for files within folders (since it's not being used recursively).

File managing (for the average consumer home computer) is one of those things that will always be easier and more convenient to do with a gui program rather than cli tools. What if I want to manipulate certain pictures? You can't get thumbnail view from a terminal and it's also a pain in the ass to select multiple files if there's no pattern in the names you can use to select large quantities.

I don't see how you can delete a file by mistake, especially with a gui? besides you can normally recover files that have been "deleted" by rm with forensics software anyway, if you make such a mistake for some strange reason.

0, because i used my mouse :^)
though even if i used the keyboard it'd be still at least 1 keystroke less than terminal because cd is 2 keystrokes and cmd+o is one

neither solutions are recursive, and if they were shell would be even worse because you'd have to construct something like
find . -iname "*.png" -exec rm {} +

>you can't get thumnail view
sxiv
>it's a pain to select multiple files without pattern
ranger

please take a screenshot of thumbnail view

why can't Luke stop making threads about himself everyday?

>doing CS degree
>one ultra neckbeard in one of my classes
>in group project with him
>bump into him at cafe on campus once
>he's running 1337 hax0r code streaming across his laptop screen in public
>ask him about it
>apparently he accidentally deleted some video project he was working on for some other class and is scanning his drive
>he's looking for it by filesize
>ask why he doesn't just search for the filename
>he starts sperging out and goes on a rant about how M$ storing the names of files inside the files is against the Eunuchs philosophy or some shit and how linux doesn't do that
>i say it seems like MS's solution is more practical when files get lost or deleted
>he starts getting red in the face and starts sperging again
>i do a 360 and walk away
freetardism, not even once

Attached: 1522647690118.jpg (345x332, 87K)

His examples are often very bad.
A bunch of much better examples would use things like xdotool where you can use the terminal to manipulate things, and because of that you can write scripts and hotkey them and do awesome things with your linux desktop, where on windows it's not possible.

example:
if program isn't running:
open it and position it where it should be in workspace N at x,y position
minimize the window and start playing music
else:
else toggle pause

You can install third party things that (kind of) do the same thing for windows, but they have their own special little languages and stuff.

>installing forensics software to recover deleted files is better than just digging through the trash for a few seconds

Attached: she's disgusted and confused.jpg (287x266, 17K)

alias for sxiv -t *.jpg *.png can select pictures and pipe their filenames into another command.

Attached: 2019-01-13-230304_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 666K)

wow I really fucked up my code tags somehow, very cool

Happens a lot when you handle huge amounts files.

>whaddup zoomers
>30 year old boomer here
>muh linux
>muh i3
>muh terminal
>STOP USING INTERNET AND PHONES NOW

Attached: dab_luke.webm (1920x1080, 2.55M)

>yet terry uses ubuntu

It's best to just not go around deleting stuff you don't want to deleted like a brainlet. Then you can move on to a CLI like an adult and don't have to click through some GUI to remove garbage from your computer a second time. works for me.

>I also find it funny that this dumb fuck doesn't even realize that rm unlinks files, that is, they don't get moved to the trash, so basically, if you fuck up your shit is all gone and unrecoverable.

generally if i delete a file, i don't want to recover it.

it's not even really about whether or not you've deleted the files accidentally. sometimes you delete files not knowing you'll later want them back or need them for something. that's what the trash is for.

I might compile all the controversial things he has said in his videos and emailing that to the University of Arizona Linguistics department head as a "complaint about Luke Smith"

>inb4 it's all a ruse and you get an email back saying "Sorry we don't have a Luke Smith in our department"

It's just faster to be able to "delete" huge amounts of files all at once and then empty the trash when you're finished. Selecting huge amounts of files of waiting until they're gone to move on breaks the user flow.

fuck off adria richards

oh shit I guess it's not
linguistics.arizona.edu/user/luke-smith

That would be fun. Someone should also make a video with a couple skits showing his retardation as well.

>The University of Arizona believes that democracy caters to human being's lowest instincts, that it fosters nationalism, makes every citizens covet the property of his brethren, and slips the habit of deceit in the human heart.

No hope for you friend.

It takes less time to unlink a file than it does to move it to another directory

didnt he already get kicked out of uni?
wasnt that the reason he got a new job?

it works, but it isn't as good as a normal gui manager. You can't see the name of an image without selecting it.

Kek

How tall is Luke? He gives off a manlet vibe.

It is pretty easy. You just suck at terminal stuff, probably bash too, which is why you're so piss mad.

find -type f -name "*.jpg" -exec rm {} \;

5'8"

> Let's say you want to delete all files within a directory under a certain specific extension

> Click on column header, click-drag to highlight, click delete

Is this guy retarded. I guess some people have serious problems thinking visually.

Attached: Capture.png (752x512, 48K)

5'7

Well that explains a lot.

Attached: 1531329362928.jpg (600x900, 124K)

Memorizing commands is like memorizing multiplication tables. They are the building blocks to everything that comes after and you can use them to accomplish every task you want.

You don't count your fingers when you multiply, do you? Or go through the alphabet when you type? Frankly it's not even that hard to memorize seeing as how you use them so often you don't *need* to it just comes naturally.

>Frankly it's not even that hard to memorize seeing as how you use them so often you don't *need* to it just comes naturally.

If you spend your time to memorize how to control a computer visually using a GUI, you will find that you can memorize a lot more tasks and you will perform them much faster. The human brain is much better at processing spacial visual data than it is at serial text. It can process massive amounts of visual information in parallel. Scanning a linear line of text is a lot slower and time consuming.

You don't have to select, you just have to hover over it. also that's completely useless.

>that's completely useless
there it is everyone. the "why would you want to do something like that" excuse. I'm surprised it didn't come out until now.

Attached: 1507079200783.gif (500x398, 1.52M)

ITT: Pure, unbridled contrarianism.

I mean he's a doctoral candidate by now; can't he at least teach or something?

There is nothing to memorize with a GUI file manager because they barely do anything.

Attached: download.jpg (484x580, 103K)

pfffffhahahaha
Sometimes I don't like the fact that he just spouts entry level knowledge and Jow Forums memes... but then sometimes I do, like when it's on his employer's bio page

Well, you see sataniaposter, some Linux users are just like applefags.

5'6

What linguists do aside from using Linux?

5'5"

>If you spend your time to memorize how to control a computer visually using a GUI, you will find that you can memorize a lot more tasks and you will perform them much faster.

No, it really doesn't. The fact you're saying this tells me you're not experienced with terminal stuff at all. Not only is a GUI slower, it's inherently less powerful. A GUI is a pushdown automaton at most, a terminal is a full-on turing machine. You can barely grep in a GUI, if it even allows you that. You can't parse filenames or file contents. Take a simple case of finding files and sorting them based on the second token delimited by a hyphen character and filtering for only the ones that have the characters 'XYZ' in the contents.
In a terminal this is trivial.
find /some/dir -type f -name '*-*' | sort -k 2 -t '-' | xargs grep -l 'XYZ'

Good luck with doing that in a GUI.

Stupidly cherry-picked example. Chances are, if someone wants to filter files in such a arbitrary way, he would most likely use some software that finds images based on more fine-grained characteristics (resolution, MD5, exif data etc...) one could even write a shellscript for that and add it to the context menu. Also, I'm pretty sure you can do that with regex aswell (and I'm also sure there are linux file managers that support regex).

>using find instead of du -a
>using xargs

Attached: f5753870a40ccef114a6cb88e7f48531.jpg (680x680, 85K)

Why is this disgusting failure shilled so much here?

This.

Who the fuck wants to write some esoteric gibberish when you can just search up SortN'Search 2015 Deluxe on the app store. It's just $3.99. Fucking Linux Poorfags.

>posting anime girls

>Stupidly cherry-picked example.

You're missing the point. I've demonstrated that a GUI isn't as fast or powerful or have the advantage over a tty like you claim it to be. The very fact that you *have* to make an addon/shellscript (which btw would only add on to its ever-increasing bloat) to give it a function inherent to a tty just shows that a GUI just isn't cut out for work that requires more power or flexibility or speed, because writing some program for some microsearching takes time. And even in the event you *DO* write such a program, you might as well cut out the GUI altogether and run the program directly from a TTY anyway. Even in your hack there's still no need for a GUI and you'd end up doing extra work just to ensure it will run properly in a GUI context.

>Also, I'm pretty sure you can do that with regex aswell (and I'm also sure there are linux file managers that support regex).
Global
Regular
Expressions
Print
(GREP) - also inherent and readily-available in any TTY on UNIX-like system.

>hurr durr xargs is bad
Grow up loser. I bet you don't even awk

>Stupidly cherry-picked example

If you knew how to read you could've interpreted this "cherry picked example" as a show a flexibility. Some people want overly specific or complex tasks done in seamless manner. Most normies wouldn't even resort to basic regex or the GUI's more advanced features, they usually resort to third-party applications to get the job done.

Either way, most GUI's aren't as powerfull and flexible as terminals for the simple fact that they are not meant to be powerfull and efficient at file managing.

Why is it a question of GUI or command line? It's simply a question of when to use which.

No it is not. Once you mastered the most common functionalities of the the terminal, even the most basic GUI operations are slow and inefficient in comparisson.

There is no metric indicating this, but most experienced users reach this conclusion by themselves. There were times where i got buttmad at terminal and modal editors because they were hard at first, but i was already at a point when changing back to GUI and normal editor's at a whim became strenuous and slow.

It's not a meme. It's just something you end up realizing given enough time with these tools.

Attached: 1545271958797.jpg (1000x800, 78K)