/mkg/ - Mechanical Keyboard General

Lunar New Year edition.

>Ask about Dactyl Manuforms, I fucking dare you
>Why QMK is hype
>Will Solenoids make a comeback?
>Non RSI keyboarding related injuries

Previous Circlejerk:

Attached: 49949283_345847069603667_4103425665997471744_n.jpg (2448x3264, 712K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/store/product/YMDK-84-Kit-CNC-Acrylic-Case-Anodized-Plate-Underglow-RGB-Fully-Programmable-PCB-Stabilizers-For-75/429151_32949723394.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.16.64ae49e2CgIUg3
wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Blue_Pill
massdrop.com/buy/handheld-scientific-bt-500-bluetooth-adapter
jikedingzhi.com/downloadlist?driverID=41
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What controler can I use for hand-wirering a keyboard ?

pro micro and teensy are the most commonly mentioned ones

This is the one time I'll recommend a Proton-C, it's a STM32 QMK jibjab that beats the pants off a promicro or clone. That being said if you're not going to do anything super fucky with your board you could get away with a promicro.

But with Proton-C/ARM you get ChibiOS support and all the fun stuff that entails!

You can also use a blue pill if you want to jump on the arm train!

Blue pill ???
I Think I'll go with the proton-c, I want to build a 84 key ISO with some form of underglow and some sort of side-mounted volume wheel.

Now, I need some sort of plate/case. Are those sometimes combined ? I want the botom to be transparent so I can engrave something and show off my handy work +underglow.

i bought a cheap mechanical backlit keyboard.
It only has "rainbow" led modes, but it's rgb, so i wonder if it's possible to change the keyboard's controller firmware to make custom pattern?

I think that what I need is this but without the pcb. And a way to secure the controler
aliexpress.com/store/product/YMDK-84-Kit-CNC-Acrylic-Case-Anodized-Plate-Underglow-RGB-Fully-Programmable-PCB-Stabilizers-For-75/429151_32949723394.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.16.64ae49e2CgIUg3

Thanks for not messing up the OP, gergoman.

The absolute state of micro lets!

Attached: microlet.jpg (707x707, 90K)

This just came in the post, it's fucking real boy!

Too legit to quit.

Probably not easily

If you're going to get a case and plate and all that why not just get the PCB and make sure it's a QMK compatible device?

wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Blue_Pill

No worries boss!

Attached: 50265682_341939943074360_7221898774199664640_n.jpg (352x480, 52K)

A bit expensive, but miles ahead of Teensy in terms of value for money.

>Probably not easily
So any ideas how? At least please give me key words to google

Look up Hasus controllers for something to get you started. It's a huge pain in the ass and not worth the time or money desu

keycaps look shit and if in this next months they don't make any new keycaps those switches will fall into a bottomless pit filled with membrane keyboards

>If you're going to get a case and plate and all that why not just get the PCB and make sure it's a QMK compatible device?

Trop normie for me, I want to at least feel like I worked on this. Also, is this a BlackBerry nub ? Je trouve ca cool en criss

>go from cheap $40 board with browns to varmillo with blacks
you fucks, if you get me hooked on this I will haunt you all after I burn through all of my money

>not kailh box whites
you had one job user

Attached: IMG_20180926_161727.jpg (3100x1606, 830K)

They're for a customer, and the black on black makes this Gergo look like a stealth bomber! The switches are way too heavy for me though, but I hope he likes em.

Welcome to the abyss!

I have access to a 3D printer and a boatload of old switches and caps. How long do those things take to print?

Anyone copping? Thinking about it since I need some switches for the preonic I ordered was thinking a linear for muh gaming.

Attached: Screenshot_20190114-114350_Instagram.jpg (1080x1182, 467K)

so i just pre-ordered a ducky one 2 mini with mx blues. i had the original ducky mini and loved it, but it died on me. apparently there's some fucking idiot cringelord streamer who uses this board so it's sold out everywhere and i'll have to wait probly 3+ weeks to get it

can anyone recommend a numberpad? although i like 60% there are times i need more. i was looking at a leopold. the ducky pocket seems like a meme.

Depends on the size, layer height, etc. but about 30 hours give or take per half.

>another panda clone
It'll be shit as a linear if that's what you want. The only reason panda switches are sought after is to make the holy meme switch.

Attached: classy as frig.jpg (2600x1733, 1.46M)

holy fuck you fell for it! welcome to the meme bruv

In case that one nigga that wanted an elven set is around, this is on assdrop right now

Attached: elven DSA.jpg (1500x1000, 274K)

Any UK people know where the fuck I can buy an actual decent board already assembled? I am not a poorfag who needs to solder my board together like a 3rd world slave.

If you want a custom metal case'd board then you're either going to have to assemble it yourself or pay out the ass for someone to do it for you.

Attached: 1518222643936.jpg (4928x3264, 3.78M)

what the actual fuck?

RMS only uses mechanical keyboards?

idk how long you've been posting this shit, mate. But how come your keyboard stays clean?

Since ~2010 and because I'm not a slob.

It's got battle damage from having things made of metal wood and plastic dropped on it from time to time but it ain't broke.

Attached: slov.jpg (1800x1200, 876K)

Tell me more about the keyboard.
What model is it? Majestouch? Switches? Is in really 9 fucking years? And so on and so on.

Majestouch (not 2) NKRO, MX brown (inb4), receipt says $134 April 2010, Tai Hao PBT Doubleshot Purple, etc

Oldest pic of it I can find

Attached: battlereadystation.jpg (2000x1273, 675K)

hey /mkg/ how do gateron browns compare to outemu reds (or any other reds)? I'm looking to buy a new board and I've found that reds are way too light for me, and I make accidental presses all the time. does the tactile bump help at all with accidental key presses?

thanks bros

Attached: 1490489071796.jpg (400x400, 23K)

Comparing my Gat brown board to a mate's MX red board, it does help but they're still very light. You may want to look into MX clears or something similar instead.

Fuck! Das neat battlestation. Still...

> Windows 7

Niggy please.

>he uses anything other than windows 7
what a fucking faggot lol

> not using redhat enterprise desktop.
How low are you going down?

fok I was looking for exactly those switches...
the vortex cypher is slightly over my budget, (poorfag) so I'm leaning towards the gk64 from banggood.
the gk64 is only available with gat blue, red, brown, and I figured browns would be best for me

thanks user

My old ass dell keyboard is shitting the bed, what's a good keyboard to get that's $30 or less?

Just pick whatever chinkshit suits your needs. If you can then find one with PBT caps.

I got my Leopold FC980C in the mail today (Topre switches). It feels right. Well worth it.

>Shitty keyboard isnt advertised as a hotswappable switch when in reality it is
>almost fucked up the keyboard trying to desolder a switch
>no switch puller provided so i ended up scratching the plate

got chink'd right

do your research

>having the soldering gear but being this stupid
user this better be your first rodeo

my hhkb came in

Attached: yui excited.gif (500x375, 255K)

Is there any reason I shouldn't purchase a Ducky One 2 Mini w/ Silent-Red switches?

Its going to be used exclusively for typing, and I want something that will last several years. (I also like RGB)

Anyone used one of these before?

massdrop.com/buy/handheld-scientific-bt-500-bluetooth-adapter

Attached: BT500.jpg (1300x394, 37K)

Does anyone make a 68 keyboard like the Tada68 that is in a cheapshit case with good switches? I don't want an aluminum case or LEDs, just that layout with quality switches.

You can get a tada68 in a plastic case m8. Pretty sure for

I have a GK64 with Aliaz 70g and enjoy it. You can find the latest chinkshit software for it here: jikedingzhi.com/downloadlist?driverID=41

Ah I see.

Zealios worth springing for? How are the Gateron Silent Browns?

Gat silent brown are alright. Not super tactile but better then MX brown. As above I have Aliaz and they're a glorified gat silent brown.

Just got an entry level Redragon K552 and never had a mechanical keyboard before, can someone explain why it feels so much better than membrane. Now I sometimes just open up text documents and start typing nonsense sentences.

I'd say so, the V2s are very tactile. If a big round bump near the top of the travel sounds appealing, then go for it.

Attached: IMG_20181212_172232.jpg (3128x1836, 970K)

What is the best tactile switch?

No such thing, just whatever you prefer the feel of most.

What is more tacticle than cherry clears?

Lots of things these days. Box royals, hako royal clear/hako royal true, V2 zeals, holy panda, outemu sky, etc.

I wanted to get holy pandas, but they are too scarce. Any good alternatives for holy pandas? I got recommended zealios.

There was the massdrop buy for holy memes not that long ago. I can sell you some extras once I receive mine :^) V2 zeals are pretty good too.

Mmm those guns look sharp. What model is the Walther?

Topre, of course.

Mr. gboards, what's a rough ETA on the gergo readies that were ordered on boxing day? No rush just wondering

Jim, doesn't choc have different legs placement compared to mx? Isn't your gergo uses mx socket?
Please tell me something about it.

p5

So the first batch that got out was only kits. (waiting on switches and a hot air station). Good news is those came in forever ago and I'm just waiting on the DHL man to give me a buzz so I can get back to whacking out boards.

Readies and partials are in the works, once the DHL man comes along shouldn't be more then a week. But I'll keep you posted.

>That one user that ordered a Ready in early december
I'm sorry this is taking so long man. You're the real MVP

They do! Bakingpy has a MX-ALPS-CHOC footprint that bridges together the relevant pads and has a bunch of holes. (If you look at the very early photos you'll see the footprint is different). So it sockets Chocs, just upside down!

Sounds good sir. Looking forward to mine :)

Speaking of Chocs turns out the photo saved before my phone died earlier!

Looks like a B-2 Bomber!

Attached: 49897331_1973247109644263_2471133571469803520_n.jpg (2448x3264, 1.4M)

>my man filco uses the same del monitor as me

kek

thanks man. I know the GK64 is hotswapable, but are there any limitations with switch compatibility?

Everything except alps style switches from memory. I've had cherry MX, gateron, kailh box and zealios from my various testers at different times.

I tested a keyboard with Hako Royal Clears and while I loved the tactility I find them quite heavy and tiring (I think they're heavier than MX Clears). I have sissy fingers so I really prefer lighter switches.

What are good lighter tactile (not clicky) switches noawadays?

Zealio 62 or 65g

Is there anyway to spring swap chocs?

Attached: 6t4dqoitqv921.jpg (2448x2448, 577K)

Thanks, am I fine with the old ones or should I get the V2s?

V2s for sure, they make the tactility on the V1s feel pathetic.

I don't see why not

Attached: choc.jpg (2000x1300, 195K)

I didn't know Spirit carried down to 20g springs for Choc.

Goddamn this is going to be fun with my linears.

I was the original posted suggesting Zeal's and v2 for sure. Also look at zilents if you might prefer a silent variant.

So basically users can put choc switches on their gergo but they have to use the left side as the right side?
I'm seriously considering choc switches for gergo, Jim. Looks very neat because it will be less than 2 cm.

Will I regret buying a keyboard

there's plenty of good shit for under $100
if you don't like it you just buy another one!

Hey guys
What's that effect in OP's that only happens with blue leds when viewed on camera?
I can't find a single explanation of this.

Overexposure. The camera calibrates it's sensitivity to get a decent read on the rest of the image, the issue is that for the bright sections it gets clipped.

Nah the other way around. The switches are inverted! Since the mounts are those weird bar looking things the caps mount in just fine.

No side switching shenanigans needed!

which choc switches are the best ones?

Oh, inverted means upside down, correct?
Where usually one puts the legs at the top but when putting choc, the legs are at the bottom?
Sounds great, Jim! Will definitely order ASAP.

>buy DIY kit w/ box switches off KBDfans
>asks specifically which box switches I need because my order comment went *poof*
>still get sent Gaterons

I like Wei, but this nigga has fucked up two out of three orders I've made. I haven't even gotten around to testing the cable and PCB yet.

Attached: 9c9e22fc2e37a17ccbb8d92d920519e9.jpg (500x558, 30K)

It's something very specific to blue LEDs. You can see the same on police vans. Normal blue lights are okay but if they use LEDs it bleeds like pic related. You don't see that with other colors unless there is blue in it.

But nvm it's offtopic. It's hard af to find examples of it and I thought I'd point out OP pic.

Attached: nismo_blancpain_paulricard2016_01.jpg (648x432, 46K)

no.. it happens with all colours, it's simple overexposure

What is function of brown square?

Yeah! Unless that's just how chocs are meant to be mounted. I might be stupid here. The important part is that you can mount them and they work. I look forward to getting that shipped :)

Thanks for the clarification, Jim! Will definitely order one. Soon™!

I'd explain the details of color spaces to you but it's a waste of time here.

I hate myself but internally refer to everything in the Munsell colour space. Even have macros for converting hex to and from :(

>Munsell colour space
autism

BEHOLD, my modified HHKB layout! Adds arrow keys and moves island functions closer to the right.
Any right-handed human using right ctrl/alt/shift are degenerates.
(wasd toggle is just there for one-/h/anded business for older games that don't support wasd. Could be mapped something else if desired.)

Attached: modified hhkb.png (830x290, 20K)