/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: Copyfight.jpg (767x1200, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenVPN#Client_daemon_not_reconnecting_after_suspend
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Install GuixSD

No shilling pls.

Install Install

Just install it faggot

Newb here. Anything special I should preemptively do before switching processors in a laptop using Mint?

preemption is handled by the kernel

Don't forget to give your computer a good scrub then rinse it off after

What wouldbe the best way of uninstalling xfce on gentoo?

Change your laptop's oil.

I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

install gentoo

Nvm, done it.

You are referring to the CPU right? Or do you mean changing / adding an operating system

Why do most distros feel like they become "unglued" overtime? I've tried many distros but after a major release upgrade they always break or become unstable.

because you do dumb shit with global config files?

Whenever I start a program that needs my microphone, it starts a screeching noise. This shit gets fixed randomly (disabling, enabling audio, restarting the program, pausing the music, etc.)
Is there a way to fix it once and for all ? pulseaudio on devuan btw.

Still using Mint, but swapping cpus (from a 2nd Gen i5 to a third Gen I7). Just wasn't sure if it would place nice right out the gate

what are the benefits of using linux over windows other then botnet? ive been looking at linux for a bit and im just wondering

>add a column sort function that literally just calls strcmp()
>takes 30 seconds to sort the list of packages
is this the power of GObject Introspection

Attached: use flags.png (808x628, 71K)

No minimalism thread, so I'm asking there. I'm trying to set up a fully suckless approved machine using my old laptop and Void(musl). I know shit about sound in Linux, still suckless doesn't provide any alternative to pulseaudio. Is there any way to make sound work and keep it minimal?

Attached: IMG_20190114_211259.jpg (3840x2160, 2.48M)

Best desktop software for linux, Jow Forums?

but I don't...

I'm using iTunes through wine and I get these boxes for moonrunes.
Anyway to fix it or should I just rename them all to romaji?

Attached: jap.png (1154x277, 24K)

Dont use itunes

alsa?

But it’s perfect for organizing music. I also have yet to find an audio player where I can add my own music to its library and organize by bitrate and comments.

How do I check how much I’ve written to my SSD?
Disks > SMART Data doesn’t show this information

>ive yet to find a program that is as bloated as itunes is.
You dont listen to music for the bit rate or comments, you listen to music for the fucking music.

what theme is this?

Attached: 1518672492065.png (843x463, 81K)

>bloated
Define bloated.
Also, you do listen to music for the bitrate you fucking retard. I bet you listen to shit under 192kbps
I have a shit ton music downloaded over a decade ago so it helps knowing which ones I should replace.

Not him, but I personally add my own comments which help sort stuff out. For example, instrumentals or piano. Why are you so autistic?

I'd like multiple mod keys in i3wm. (both alt and win)
how do I achieve this?

Attached: 1530310651261.png (236x213, 45K)

What's the best laptop I can get that is closest to a macbook pro in build quality? I'm gonna install linux on it.

I really like the aluminum body of the macbook and I carry this shit around a lot for work so any dingy plastic shit will get chipped up.

I'm thinking about getting the matebook x pro pic related.

Attached: huawei-matebook-x-pro-nvidia-geforce-mx-150.png (851x814, 334K)

$mod is just a variable used in their examples. You don't even need it. You can specify every keybinding like "Shift+j" "Ctrl+k" or whatever. You can also define $mod2, $mod3 or whatever.

so i have to double my i3config?
feels bad man

Also, should I enable these new "modular" repos?

So in your infinite wisdom when you were downloading it, did you download a 64k mono rip? No your gay ass faggot self downloaded the bit rate you listen too... Or do you mindlessly downlolad rips withoput checking if its a transcode? If you're this prissy about it..hmmm
>decade ago
You should be able to tell the difference wouldnt you? Surely you can audiably tell a 192 cbr stearo from a 320 vbr stearo right? Right? Since you need such assinine "requirements"?

You should know whats in your collection. The band name, album name and title will tell you eactly what you are listening too.

Pulseaudio runs on top of ALSA.

There's nothing wrong with having apps with features

Does anyone know how to remove titlebars in gtk3 programs under sway wm? They disappear in floating mode. I think this is pretty much the last thing that keeps me from switching over to Wayland.

Those "features" are not needed by anyone in the word and only serve as bloat, whichi s why literally no other software has those "features"
:V)

Such as features you don't know about because they're hidden in the non-free binary you run through an emulator like a faggot instead of using a native player.

>apps

Not really. It’s a complete audio organizing software that fits my criteria and needs. I’m able to sort through everything and edit song information. None of those minimal garbage software does everything I want, especially adding my own music to a built-in library.
>like a faggot
So pretty much you’re elitist because it’s no completely barebones minimal like those losers in desktop threads. It works and the startup time is the same compared to other software

Except it's missing the feature to properly display Japanese text apparently, an issue found in 0 other available audio players.

>You should know whats in your collection. The band name, album name and title will tell you eactly what you are listening too
Like I said, instrumentals. Different songs across different albums and artists should be labeled properly in the comments like guitar, piano, or simply instrumental. DEPAPE albums are a good example since it features different instruments. Fuck off.

Wrong. I get this when using Audacious or Clementine. It’s an issue related to my OS, not the software itself.

I'd say the issue lies with you then, not your OS. Not surprising since you're retarded enough to use itunes.

>just installed i3
why is it so comfy bros? still debating on whether I should switch to it full time from KDE
anyone have any tips or good config snippets?

Attached: 1545868468867.png (1920x1200, 270K)

where is the program "mount" stored? what folder?

Imagine being this autistic over an audio player

$ which mount

cringe

On arch Linux, is there a way for OpenVPN to reconnect to the VPN after suspend?
This seems to be a known issue since the archwiki lists two workarounds (found here wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenVPN#Client_daemon_not_reconnecting_after_suspend )
I tried both, but neither seems to have solved the issue.
Does anyone here know another way I can go about this?

Imagine being so stupid that you either can't install a Japanese font or look up how to make it work.

I was under the impression this was the friendly GNU/Linux thread. Thanks for the solution, although that won't cure your raging autism.

Well you posted in the friendly GNU/Linux thread about an apple product, what did you think would happen.

So I finally went through the painstaking process of setting up Emacs to actually work how I want it to, and after using it for a while it's comfy as fuck.
I also copied over the "guile-scheme.el" and related files from the new guile version of emacs that's under development to get the guile specific syntax highlighting and behavior, and added a few keywords that were still missing. Made my own theme.
Even made a little alias enw="emacs -nw" for easy no window mode. I may very well become an Emacs convert here

Attached: emacs.png (590x515, 22K)

>wine
>not GNU/Linux

>call-with-output-string not highlighted in screenshot
whoops, missed another one. Better add it to my custom syntax highlighting :^)

what the fuck

RMS likes Borges?

Who are you quoting?

if nu-software is all about ""a11y"" and ""l10n"" then why do vim, mpv and every other program still assume a standard US keyboard layout and only support other ones because some keys happen to overlap

I fucking hate Linux so goddamn much

lol

>because some keys happen to overlap
redacting this part, was thinking about something else
>man page tells me to press Ctrl+[
>have to do Ctrl+AltGr+8 and somehow memorize the nonsensical shortcut

Configuring the colors is a pain but worth it. I have it set up to take colors from pywal so it always matches my background.

Attached: 2019-01-14-205749_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 306K)

whats the best destro for older laptops?

yeah I quit. I'm gonna go pirate windows now. It wasn't fun while it lasted.

Write a script so when you come out of suspend you restart the openvpn connection.udev should work

You will find that your childish threats generally go unrewarded in tech communities.

Try Linux-libre.

nani the fuck? That's not a threat. After making my post I continued to try to work on the issue I was having before I got fed up with it and decided enough was enough, and that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze
I will look into it but I think I'm probably just not the right type of person for this

Thank you, though. I appreciate it.

Same, fucking tux.

install gentoo

>pirate
Fag

> That's not a threat.
It's fine then. People just usually post that sort of thing here as bait to get answers to their questions. A sort of "pay attention to me or I'll go back to windows" sort of thing.

is there any way to make a child process wait for the parent process to end in order to be executed? I'm taking my first OS course and got an assignment that consists in creating the following process tree. I also need to use the sys/wait.h library in order to print sy$tem in the prompt but I believe I'm having trouble with the $ and T processes

Attached: ptree.jpg (358x249, 18K)

I don't even think it's specific to my OS. I'm just a brainlet. Meh.
:^)
Oh, that does seem pretty childish. Sorry, I'm not very familiar with these threads (as you can probably tell)

How do you reliable replace a keyword with something different (for example all 'Linux' with 'GNU/Linux') in a text file? I'm running into some pitfalls.
>no GNU/GNU/Linux, if there's a GNU/Linux already in the text
>should work even if 'Linux' is at the beginning or end of the line
I'm using the interjection as lorem ipsum:
[$ cat file.txt
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

so ive got my Intel celuron 4gb of ram laptop here from a few years ago and it has windows 8 on it, I wanted to switch to something not as shit so ive been looking at ubuntu, what is the best "flavor" of ubuntu?

sed

you must first master regular expression

Define 'best'

If you refer to file sharing as pirating, you help corporations to make/keep sharing with your neighbor illegal. You shouldn't join that mass brainwashing, just because 'pirating' makes you look like a thug life ganster.

ok whats the best distro for me to install then? I really dont know much when it comes to Linux other then one of my friends had mint and I messed around it in

also nice trips

install gentoo

For beginner, Ubuntu or mint is best for you.
No one can tell you what is the 'best flavor' because every one of them have their pros and cons. Backup your files and install (or use VM) all of them to see what you like the most. My favorites are xubuntu and lubuntu.

is there somewhere I could see these pros or cons user?

Linux is a scam

>muh community
controlled by Microsoft, Facebook, Google, IBM and others

>muh freedoms
comes with blobs and proprietary software out of the box

>muh privacy
ubuntu tracks hardware, software, location and ip, even if you turn it off

Any minimal distro will be fine. Even the nonminimal ones will probably run acceptably. I started with Lubuntu and moved to arch.

What's causing the inane practice to recommend the worst distros available to beginners?

ed file.txt
1,$s_linux_Linux
1,$s_Linux_GNU/Linux
1,$s_GNU/GNU/Linux_GNU/Linux
wq

Yes this is incredibly crude but it works.

Stop installing shit distributions.

Can ed be scripted like sed?

HOLY SHIT

Cool, thanks.

Yes, you just have to echo the commands into it. You can use either one.