/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420), quadcore compatible, classic keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/T530; W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: moot.jpg (350x240, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

truefla.me/free-stuff/used-thinkpad-buyers-guide
wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad#Debian_9_.22Stretch.22
amazon.com/Adapter-CableCreation-Plated-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B01M09PT7O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547526222&sr=8-3&keywords=DP to HDMI Adapter, CableCreation 4K 3D
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-Ultrabase-Series-3-Dock-CD-RW-DVD-0B67692-04W6846-G26-/382718252106?_ul=PH
stickyarsenal.com/product/g-toaster
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for dual wifi x201

Attached: .jpg (636x848, 78K)

first for t420s

Attached: 20190114_202301.jpg (2016x1512, 855K)

>update less than two hours
every time
I get the meme now

Also get rid of that duct tape and use nice black vinyl tape that doesn't leave a nasty residue

>768p tn panel
kys urself

so when you buy a thinkpad, do they usually come with a pre installed os or do you have to install one yourself?

im not updating, just installing firefox, cause i need a browser with a GUI

desu i just grabbed the duct tape because it was what i had at the time, gonna get some black tape now that you mention it. thanks user

I want to get my life together and sell my Surface Pro 4 and buy a Thinkpad.

I think i can expect to sell it for 450-700€. I dont really know.

Can some kind user recommend me a portable yet powerful model for this amount of money? I thought of a X1 Carbon but i dont know if thats the best i can get.

What do you plan on doing with your dinkpad?
Are you looking for one that's easily maintainable in the long run?
Do you care about upgradablity?
Windows or Linux?

why havent you corebooted your thinkpad yet

Attached: image.jpg (2208x1242, 1.98M)

Asking again in new thread.

hows the battery life compared to a regular t420?

are you selling or buying. If buying thats an insane deal!

what do you mean by powerful?

uwu

Attached: 1547120534379934.jpg (2328x1746, 1.45M)

to be quite honest with you, it's really not that bad while doing lightweight work, i.e using terminals or text editors.You'd get around 3 or 4 hours on max charge. (mine only charges up to 50% ;-; )
but if you start doing some heavy work, like compiling, for example, your battery wouldnt last more than 30 or 50 minutes.

All in all, its a really good computer, boots up really fast, and handles itself really well, but the only real downside is the battery.

An option for the shit battery life is to buy an ultrabay battery. Just replace your CD rom with a battery. Although i dont have one, so i cant tell you much about

>What do you plan on doing with your dinkpad?
Office Work (all of Libre Office), Research, University stuff, YouTube maybe. No gaming, no photo editing.
>Are you looking for one that's easily maintainable in the long run?
should last me 3-5 years. if more the better
>Do you care about upgradablity?
Not necessarily
>Windows or Linux?
Both, but I think im going to install Ubuntu

I dont want to experience a shortage of ram when browsing or editinf pdf files. Doesn't need to be much more than that. smooth office work would be nice. switching tasks with easy as i like to keep 3-5 pdfs open, one to two office files and several tabs.

bidding on a t60 right now

An X1 carbon should be well suited for your needs, if thats the case.
Although there are cheaper alternatives that are also suited for the kind of work you'd do.

truefla.me/free-stuff/used-thinkpad-buyers-guide

Here's a really handy guide, helped me choosing my first thinkpad

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Exactly. Be like your favorite member if the tribe RMS.

I would, but i CBA to buy the hardware to flash it.
Has anyone bought those 'green cell' branded batteries off ebay, is it worth it? Also, my T61's fan has gone bad - should I swap out the fan or just replace the heatsink with the fan too?

t61 is not corebootable

I think most thinkpads could handle that. If you wont be doing anything computationally intense, I think you should get a low power ultrabook thinkpad (current X and T series). What they lack in power, they make up for in battery life.
If want a good keyboard but dont mind not having a backlight or a long battery life, you can get an x220 which is still competitive today. You should avoid the x280 because it has no hot swappable battery.
If you want a larger screen, you should get a T series.

For my x230 senpai

Get it on lad. You can get a ch341a and clip for 8 bucks

Seconded on those green cell uk batteries. They sound fairly quality but I’d like to know if anybody has compared them.

Thanks mate. This site is helpful.

So the x220 has no adjuatable brightness? Thats kind of a bummer since i found the x220/230 interesting as well.

If I upgrade a t420 to a i7-2760, I should be able to use 1600 ram right? Or is there something else that limits it to 1333?

where did you read about x220 not having adjustable brightness kek

Doesn't it break a whole bunch of shit like thermal management?

then i misunderstood backlight for brightness.

Bought it now, thanks!

Since my old laptop broke and I can't fix it myself cheaply, I'm looking for a Thinkpad which can be somewhat easily maintained and has decent battery life. Doesn't need to be as light as possible but I don't want to carry a brick around. Mostly planning on coding and watching Chinese cartoons with it.

hey guys, I recently upgraded my t440s from the no-button to the three button trackpad. I'm on mint and for some reason the three buttons on it aren't working now, is there some kind of driver I must install now?

T420

xf86-input-synaptics I think...

Just came in the mail.

Oh, the pioneers used to drive these babies for miles. And she's in great shape too

Attached: 20190114_170457.jpg (4032x3024, 2.16M)

which model is it?
looks like the one i just recently got!

T420. If looks practically new

Attached: 20190114_170555.jpg (4032x3024, 2.39M)

killer!
which os ya gonna install on it?

how do I get that trough apt?

Got a cheap sl410 in good shape. Good enough for my first memepad?

Attached: Screenshot_20190114-172605.png (1080x1920, 622K)

>centrino
how much did you pay for this?

I'm pretty sure xf86-input-synaptics is outdated and you should use xf86-input-libinput instead.
Looking at debian packages it seems to be called xserver-xorg-input-libinput.
I don't personally have that much experience with debian but I'd give wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad#Debian_9_.22Stretch.22 a read.

Any X220 users managed to quash the external mic static in Linux? I hate having to switch over to Win10 for staff meetings over video chat when all my other work is on Kubuntu.

X260 is the one of the best for battery life and it's cheap and easy to find. Serviceability is shit. I get 4-5 hours on a 6-cell for my X220, so an X220 or T420 with a 9-cell may be good.

>bem-vindo
HUE HUE HUE HUE

It is a core 2 duo p8700. It cost me about as cheap as you can get a working notebook with no issues. I'm not located in America so it's not possible to precisely convert the value, but the next cheapest thing was a t60 with no battery, no HDD and faulty kb.

This, also you can download a GUI package manager if you dont want to install things via terminal...
OP here, is there any consensus on the best chink batteries? I'm looking to replace my 9 cell x230 too, it's capacity went down after 5 years of use ;_;

Who /2hu/ in here?

Attached: 1531106601683.jpg (1040x780, 94K)

T440s, i7 4600u, 8 gb ram, 240 ssd, 500 euros. Is it worth it?

I recently bought a T450s for 450 eurobux

Can somebody recommend me a thinkpad that fits the following criteria?

-14"
-light and portable
-6hrs+ battery life
-around 800$

>put Jow Forums stickie on non-canon *pad

Attached: N22.jpg (2236x2236, 1.84M)

Forgot pic

Attached: 16b.gif (425x481, 1.51M)

That is the worse criteria list I've ever seen

>Put listing for surplus shitty low end modern thinkpads
>Description, title is all accurate. 100% truthful specs
>Picture is of an X1 extreme
>8 different thunkpaddies bid up against each other to 1.5k for a fucking 4GB laptop
Why are thinkbabbies so concerned with getting "a deal".

well I'll only use it for coding and pentesting so I doubt anything new wouldn't suffice

Paid 300 for mine

If my goals are libreboot and the best screen possible, what are my options? I know the T500/W500 can have 1920x1200 screens, but what's the highest res I can get that's also IPS in a librebootable model? Does the res drop to nothing if I want IPS?

Replying to myself here, but so far one of the better options I'm seeing is that the T60 can have 1600x1200 IPS screen in the 15.0" model

Maybe one of the T***s models. e.g. T440s

Where can I find a cheap thinkpad in Australia? I just want a good laptop

I just got an X220, and there's two lines of some fucking residue on the screen (one line in pic related) that doesn't wipe off easy.. not sure what the fuck it is.. what's the safest way to remove it from the plastic top layer of the display?

Attached: 20190114_204645.jpg (3264x1836, 1.47M)

where do i buy this? all the results i see are sold out or look like garbage

Yo
uploaded some satori papes before anyone asks.

Attached: IMG_20190109_221238.jpg (2688x1512, 556K)

T60 UXGA is very rare and very expensive; I'd go with a WUXGA T500 desu, I wish I had one of those
T470s (or T480s/X1 Carbon 5 if you can find a good deal) -- but you could really spend a lot less and get something nearly as good ie $350 for a refurb T450s
too expensive, even for EU
interesting choice
pulseaudio sucks dick, I could never figure it out, I still use Windows or my phone to talk to people
beautiful; good job user
very vague, depends on your budget, check the buyers' guide for any mainline T-series: T420, T430, T440p, etc are what you want

now, I'm , someone have a suggestion?

cum stain

Shit stickers, shit prize figs, shit taste.

Guys, I was told that the T430's mobo and the power supply are shit, so I should buy T420 instead. Is it true? T420's are considerably more expensive here because there are far less of them in stock in my country.

nice try
completely fake news

>completely fake news
I thought so. I'll keep looking for a decent T430, then. What's this general's veredict on T5xx?

Guys I'm too retarded to adjust to using Linux on my main pc but I really want to learn how to use it. What's the shittiest, cheapest ThinkPad I can get to practice on?

the only difference between T530 and T430 is that the T530 has a larger screen, and all the cons that come with that (heavier, lower battery) ... I'd get the T430 every time unless you find a really good deal on a T530

How bad of an idea is it to buy a thinkpad with my student loan money?
Technically they did provide me with computer spending, and i am doing a comp sci major.
But then again, i also bought some nice headphones a few months ago that i wanted to use exclusively for my flac collection on my laptop when im studying, but Im in such a rush all the time that cant be fucked to remove my earbud from my ears when i get home. I just get off the bus, change my clothes, take my earbuds out of my phone, and then plug em into laptop before sitting down for the next 4 horus.
If i do get a thinkpad im just going to install some dank distro, have a bit of fun for the first time, and then never switch it again, use it for some class assignments, most likely use it to shit post, and thats all.
I cant really think of what i would do differently from now with my shitbox of a laptop.

Collegefag here. I’ve had my x220 since 2015 as my only pc. Should I upgrade it to the x230 or just get an external monitor and docking station instead?

which seller and for how much?

What's that button to the left of the finger print reader?

cute fumos

how many nuts have you busted to kanna?

>tfw can't fix shitty touchpad input so have to make myself learn the red nipple

What should I buy if I have $500 us dollars, only for college power point and pdf reading

Doesn't RMS use a thinkpad?

can someone recommend me my first thinkpad?
criteria:

>1920x1080
>$200 or less
>HDMI port (or at least able to use an adapter for HDMI)

I'm planning to replace my desktop with it, and I'm wondering if I could get a better price:performance at $200 or less by buying a thinkpad or building a PC.
I'll be using it for browsing Jow Forums, watching anime, emulating games up to PS2, playing games (REmake and 0, most demanding game I think I've ever had interest in is Dark Souls 3) etc. the most demanding thing it will do is play games, so basically what's the most powerful thing I can get for $200. don't care about size and weight, it won't leave my house. having an HDMI port (or being able to connect it to a TV with HDMI) is in the criteria because I'm also going to let my dad use it so he can conveniently watch movies, but it's not a requirement since I can just put them on an external 2TB hard drive and play them off my PS4
if not I'll go to /pcbg/ and see what I could get there

T520/T530

I have about 550 bucks and I need the lightest Thinkpad I can get because faggot and I need to be able to use Lightroom and Photoshop fluently . Thanks in advance.

Also at least a 1080p panel preferably ips

for the 20 and 30 the 15" models (500 instead of 400) can have up to 1920x1080 screens instead of 1600x900.

>>HDMI port (or at least able to use an adapter for HDMI)
FYI most ThinkPads have DisplayPort, although it's better and can adapt to HDMI easily. It carries audio and everything.

I have an X220, will any kind of DP > HDMI cable work, even cheap chink ones? What about those active or passive ones?
Because I have a vaio pro 11, the hdmi output just werks regardless of cables, but when I tried using a cheapo miniDP to hdmi cable on my T530, it only works for half an hour, and nothing else happens afterwards.

this is what i have and it works for me
amazon.com/Adapter-CableCreation-Plated-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B01M09PT7O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547526222&sr=8-3&keywords=DP to HDMI Adapter, CableCreation 4K 3D

What would be the cheapest but okay model I could buy? I saw some E series but never seen them mentioned here, probably for a reason.

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-Ultrabase-Series-3-Dock-CD-RW-DVD-0B67692-04W6846-G26-/382718252106?_ul=PH
Is this a good deal on this dock, and do I need a different power adapter for this like the mini dock 3? Tanks

x220/t420

got it here but they're sold out
stickyarsenal.com/product/g-toaster

Is it even possible to find those brand new or used only?

I have a t430s but the the power outlet is fucked. The yellow port on it is busted and idk how to fix it...is it possible or should I just scrap the computer?

Attached: 91Fkt8dpTmL._SX425_.jpg (425x355, 17K)

Those are super easy to replace. Just order a new one on eBay.

New outlet or computer?
>Tfw the SSD only works on my broken computer

Who here uses the Expresscard slot for anything, and what do you use with it?

Getting a T430 soon and, while it isn't the first laptop I've had which has the slot, I never bothered to use it on the other one.