/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: banana.png (784x1018, 788K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.martinshouse.com/2015/05/installing-recovering-ubuntu-server.html
bcache.evilpiepirate.org/
learnxinyminutes.com/docs/bash/
privacytools.io/#vpn
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Build_Instructions/Simple_SeaMonkey_build)
hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is there software that can calculate what my current voltage usage us?

>nvidia card
Definitely FreeBSD. They're the only BSD that has the proprietary driver.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at MIT, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Jow Forums, and I have over 300 repositories on NPM. I am trained in networking and I’m the top layer in the entire OSI stack. You are nothing to me but just another source. I will fork the fuck out of you with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am booting up my WebStorm student’s edition and your GitHub is being cloned right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your repo. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can push in over three different ways, and that’s just with my terminal. Not only am I extensively trained in git, but I have access to the entire DreamSpark arsenal and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable toy project off the face of the internet, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. No one will remember you, kiddo.

How much programming or CS do you need to know to work with AWS? AWS has a nice certification path and I have zero CS education. Is it a good career choice for someone who wants to get into IT but is a programming brainlet?

the mice page on the wiki hasn't been updated in over two years, where can I get up to date information
I've found My Mouse™ so I haven't been keeping up but friends keep asking me about mice and have different uses and needs

Why the FUCK is there no easy to install equalizer for Debian? qpaeq is fucking dogshit and anything more wants me to install 3 trillion dependencies, all of which I already have, just aren't the very specific version they want. Should I just buy a hardware EQ?

basing your career around one cloud service is not smart. It could be irrelevant in five, ten years.

Typically you’re given the option of downloading 720 or 1080 for anime.
How do you know when 1080 will be better? I tested it on a show, downloading both 720 and 1080. Both looked pretty much the same.

just trying to get my foot in the door, user.

My ISP provided an access point for me and I don't think I'm allowed to change it out. How can I add a second, more powerful AP through the main AP?

Why would you not be allowed to change the access point? Unless it's configured to use PPPoE or your ISP locks you to a single MAC address it shouldn't be an issue.

If you have cpanel access, you could see if PPPoE or any credentials are being used. You could get the MAC address and most APs you can change the MAC.

There should be no issue with this. You could connect another AP to the main IP but there's no point in this situation.

I know most people recommend avoiding 2560x1080 ultrawides but I also assume said people argue that you want/need the additional space and such. However for someone who doesn't need the additional desktop space and who currently uses 125% scaling on a 1440p 27", perhaps a 2560x1080 ultrawide would be a nice fit? I bought a 3440x1440 UW a couple of days ago and love the whole UW experience but am a bit annoyed by the high resolution since it makes everything so small and there is no proper way of scaling on my current OS.

Should I get a 1080p UW instead? Also, how does one perceive 1080p on a 1440p monitor? I was forced to use 1920x1080 as my desktop resolution for a while on the 27" 1440p monitor and sure, it was somewhat blurry but it didn't bother me that much. Seeing as a 34" is the same height as a 27", I assume the experience would be similar on the UW just that you get some extra space on the sides?

Thanks in advance

Attached: 2212480_1.jpg (607x472, 50K)

Animation is generally more similar and harder to tell apart, encodes of animated movies always use a way lower bitrate than regular movies because it's transparent at a much lower level. I'd say that if you can't tell the difference the 1080p is just wasted bandwidth/space.

The answer is bridging, but unless you use some dumb niche kind of ISP, it's pretty unusual for you not to be able to bring your own device to the table.

okay, my next stupid question.

Not going lie, I dont know all the linux/BSD commands, but I make a list of what they do as I go along, kinda fumbling along. I got a spare AMD APU desktop that runs off a uni power supply. I want this to be my NAS/Backup for my data and MY BRTFS linux/BSD machine for automatic snapshots of my whole OS/Setup. So I can in theory just restore with a snap of a finger from software/hardware failure.

The NAS has a rewritable bluray/DVD/SD media, I want to make it so, I can back up the NAS and the OS, or instructions to rebuild both in case of a total system failure because my memory isn't perfect.

I want to go to linux/BSD mainly (might still have a windows install or KVM it, since I have an intel igpu)

(if possible I want to see what the differnce between having a non-systemD like devuan for my personal experience)

I want to install BRTFS or if i can maybe get a guide or a nudge saying im going in the right path/direction.
blog.martinshouse.com/2015/05/installing-recovering-ubuntu-server.html

bcache.evilpiepirate.org/

something of going though these two guides and piecing it together by reading from the help command.

I know, I seem like a total retard right now, this is my playtoy not my main laptop. Think of this as a "homelab", more of why not then practically

>for someone who doesn't need the additional desktop space
What are you even after then? A lot of shit isn't made with ultrawide in mind. I'd stick with good 'ol 16:9. 1080p looks fine. You can always step up to 32 inch. The dpi for 1440p there is the same as 1080p at 24 inch, so scaling is a complete non-issue.

pulse+pulseffects
Cant help you with your debian retardation, consider swapping to a more sane distro that dosent use packages from 10 years ago, and dosent split1 package in to 20 different packages for no actual real life reason

Font similar to Rodin?

How do I output this from a .txt file and implement into C++? I have it done without .txt file, but I'm not sure where to go on from here, watched bunch of videos already, but none of them with this situation.

Attached: wa.jpg (1303x647, 82K)

Hi Jow Forums,
Please tell me laptops which match the following:
14in preferably, but 15in is acceptable too
Thunderbolt3
Can fit a nvme ssd and at least 2tb hdd
No gpu, good battery, not very pricey

Something like elitebook 840 G4, but with TB

Attached: 768px-Apple_remote_imac.jpg (768x1024, 68K)

certs get you headhunted on linkedin. I guess it can't hurt.

but then again AWS is pretty simple, but not many people know that.

Watching movies, basically all movies are produced in an equivalent AR to 21:9 so it fills the whole screen. It's also more immersive for gaming (console) and I don't mind the horizontal stretching required to fill the width. I agree that a 32" 16:9 would probably fit me well but there aren't all too many suitable 32" monitors available and price wise they're actually more expensive than cheap ultrawides. I don't really have any need for the additional desktop space a 1440p monitor offers since I (almost) always just run a single application in full screen.

To clarify my previous question a bit: Will 1080p be perceived the same on a 27" 1080p monitor as on a 27" 1440p monitor set to 1080p, or does the latter produce a sharper image anyway because the screen itself has a higher pixel density and it just scales the image to the lower resolution?

The latter will be blurrier. Whenever you run LCD monitors on non-native resolution, the screen has to interpolate the image between pixels, so it's not as clear as viewing at native. If you have the screen set to native, but your video content is 1080p, some scalers can attempt to upconvert it, to varying degrees of success. Downscaling 4k UHD content works very well, but is a pain in the ass to get. 720p displays perfectly on 1440p, 1080p displays perfectly on 4k.

Is it possible to write a program that would be able to search across multiple torrent sites and pick the best result(best magnet in this case) using given parameters? How would one do this? I was hoping to write this in python, though I am evidently inexperienced.

Video codec related question, here:
I have a bias against the .avi container.
Is is true that the container has zero impact on the quality of a video or on the efficiency of the compression?
If I have one x264 video with an .mp4 container, is it really equivalent to an .avi video using the same codec?

Attached: Doomer.jpg (1200x675, 79K)

Is there something similar to pi-hole, only instead of blocking ads it applies custom css to sites network-wide? If not, how hard would it be do make something like that?

Attached: 34984204_1432139076886100_598258570324082688_n.jpg (498x498, 22K)

The video stream is independent from the container. Copying a stream from one container to another doesn't have any effect on the quality of said stream.

>instructions to rebuild both in case of a total system failure because my memory isn't perfect.
make it a shell script so you can just run it and it will do all the things for you.

see i dont now how to do that, ive heard of cron jobs and the like, but whats a good intro guide i can read?

I only made .bat on windows machines

learnxinyminutes.com/docs/bash/

Is BASIC memory safe? How much memory safe?

Setting up new PC, really bizarre issue.

I'm using the same keyboard from before, a Corsair Strafe RGB, and I'm setting up all my software when I came upon the strangest thing. When trying to assign my usual keybinds, I can't seem to input Ctrl + Alt + M. This doesn't make sense because it was a keybind I used before, it's the only keybind that's not registering. Stranger still, I was able to reassign via profile backup, and the keybind works, meaning the input is being received, but for some reason, when I try to rebind, even after confirming it works, the assigning in the settings doesn't work. I've tried assigning this keybind to Discord and OBS, both register Ctrl and Alt, but no the M.

Attached: 20171205_034248.jpg (1560x2080, 737K)

is there a valid reason usb 3.0 front panel connector cables are so fucking girthy, and can they be replaced with thinner, more flexible cables?

Anything is possible. Can't expect anyone to give you a writeup on how to do it in depth here, but check if those sites have any sort of code friendly feed or resort to downloading the raw html and parsing it manually.

What Linux distributions play nice with Mac books?

The problem is a lot of spam sites will report false Seed/Leech counts. I can't think of a way for this to be ignored without fucking up a ton of false positives.

Solved it myself by ending programs with Task Mang. One by one till the keys worked, it was fucking Nvidia Shadowplay.

What is some free (as in freedom) pdf viewer for android. Been using muPDF but it can't print pdfs nor share them

Should I buy a pair of KEF Ls50s or a pair of KEF R3's, I already have a subwoofer that can go to 16hz, just looking for decent speakers now.
Thank you in advance.

Already have, look up USB 3.1 headers.

I know this is a question for /cybsec/ or something, but I can't find it.
How do I effectively wipe myself from the internet? I have replaced and removed all my facebook stuff (false info), googling and binging my name gets me no results, just some random articles about a guy whos last name I share.
Where else can I check if I exist online? Also a plus, I'm in the EU, so I don't appear in most searches.

I got an intel computer stick that has 3 inputs, power, keyboard, and microsd
I want to install linux on it, but nothing boots from the mircosd card slot
wat do

Titanium backup force closes and nothing ive found onlione fixes it. I need to backup my shit and move to a new phone.
I've looked at atlernatives but they are all shit and dont offer a way to upload it to an online storage(phone does not have an sd slot)
Help

is nordvpn good? its $3 a month for 3 years atm

How secure are free online numbers? Im just using it for a google acc. Would it be better to buy a pre-paid?

Attached: 1542036682741.jpg (342x245, 14K)

I hear good things about it. It's on the privacytoolsio list
privacytools.io/#vpn

So running 2560x1080 on an ultrawide monitor with that as its native resolution would actually produce a better result than running 1920x1080 on a 1440p monitor?

What's a good open source YouTube downloader that works? Everything in the Mozilla Extension store just seems to want to steal my info and can't rip 4k.

youtube-dl

if I have 2x 6+2 pcie cables on my psu, can I use mix the cables?
like cable 1x 6pin ( not use the +2) + 2pin ( from the other cable and not use the 6 from there) to make 8pin?

Attached: 1483843591117.jpg (240x312, 22K)

This cable won't feed an image to my 48 inch Samsung 1080p TV using my desktop(8600k/6gb1060)

It will feed a signal from my desktop to monitor.

Any idea why?

I just want comfy gaming in bed.

Attached: Screenshot_20190114-174620.jpg (1080x2340, 615K)

Like... any image? Or a specific res?

>running 1920x1080 on a 1440p monitor
You would never set it to 1080p output. You always want to do native and let the PC sort out the upscaling, unless it absolutely can't be helped (like running a game that's too intensive but has no setting to run it in 1080p over 1440p output).

But the ultra wide's resolution wouldn't line up with FHD content either, unless you added black bars at the end, which defeats the point of the 21:9 ratio.

Black.

PC makes a sound when I insert it though.

You have another monitor plugged into PC at same time?

I was limited to 1080p on a Mac mini through HDMI since it can only output 1080p over HDMI (up to 4k over DP but I didn't have a cable), hence why I was running 1920x1080 on my 1440p monitor. I thought it looked all right. Not amazing but all right and perfectly fine for causal use.

Nope.

Is there a quick way to determine if a specific PC is turned on? With or without knowing it's IP or whatever.

The HDMI port on the [TV?] is known good? Win+P does anything?

Eyeball Mk. I

Yes I use it for an HDMI switch with a PS4/Switch.

I tried in both the switch and directly in the TVs hdmi port.

How bad it actually looks varies depending on the size of the screen, the type, resolution and quality of the content you're viewing, and how far away it is. Certain configurations are generally much preferable to others. What I'm saying is that neither resolution is going to line up with static content exactly, which isn't a huge deal, but is not something you should attempt to resolve by changing your system wide resolution settings.

I keep getting errors to reinstall it. I just deleted it entirely instead.
Stupid command line tards think everybody has the time and interest to get into their autism.

What are some things you wish you knew before starting a cs degree?

It's a very long shot, but are you attempting to force a specific resolution/refresh rate to the monitor that is not, for whatever reason, reset when plugging in the HDTV?

Are both devices plugged in at the same time? What does the display control panel have to say about all this?

inhales
MUSTARD
GAS

I need to use Windows for Photoshop, should I use Windows 8.1 or 10? Wine is a piece of shit for PS so

Attached: Gunjo.png (276x403, 87K)

where do I get a free copy of VM ware
I don't want to activate Hyper-V

8.1 with classic shell

The 16:9 aspect ratio, or rather the black bars it adds, are rather annoying when console gaming and I figured I'd get a new uw monitor that supports horizontal stretching since my current one does not (the consoles only output 1080p anyway), and as you're surely aware 1080p ultrawides are quite a bit cheaper and seeing as I don't multi-task I don't "need" 1440p. The question was mostly if the experience of a 1080p ultrawide (pq wise) would be equivalent to when I ran 1080p on my 27“ 1440p monitor.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that.

Attached: Apu fren sends his love.jpg (693x480, 41K)

To clarify, one of the main reasons I got an ultrawide in the first place was to increase the image size when playing PS4 by stretching the image horizontally however due to poor information my current UW apparently doesn't support it. 32“ 16:9 would be a viable option but almost all 32" monitors are 4k and rather pricey, costing even more than I gave for this pre-owned 1440p ultrawide making them poor value IMO. If you want to go bigger from a 27" monitor there aren't really too many alternatives and the next 32" size is 43" which is easy too big for my desk.(funny enough 43" 4k monitors seem to be cheaper than their 32" counterparts...)

Post what you did and the error.
>Stupid command line tards think everybody has the time and interest to get into their autism.
If only there was a GUI for it called youtube-dl-gui. Oh wait, there is.

Ok, what are you trying to do?
Why does your text file contain code?
Are you trying to read a string from a text file?

OK, so since I was like 11 I used an email like "coolsurferdude11@hotmail", and am struggling to change to a more professional one. I set up a more reasonable (or "professional") one, a while ago but I never check it and just resort to my old one. Can I just set up email forwarding to my old one and I won't have to change? Will anyone know?

Can someone explain this zoomer stuff to me? Gen z kids on the board now or? I haven't really been paying attention and dropping back in all I see is people calling people boomers or zoomers and I'm just curious as to why its offensive? Are they really that fucking stupid or is a genuine generational problem?

Just another forced meme that overstays its welcome.

>Can someone explain this zoomer stuff to me
What stuff

just started uni and the time has come, I need to learn java. what is the best java ide, preferably with vim keybinds?

Yes. Make a "professional" email and then forward everything to your child email. Or do it the other way around like everyone else does.

>what is the best java ide, preferably with vim keybinds?
How about vim? (or emacs + evil mode)

>How about vim?
if I'm going to use an oop language, I want something with decent autocomplete, not some buggy lisp or vim spaghetti hack of an addon

Are there any good, cross-platform and FOSS alternatives to pic related (total commander)? I tried it the other day and really liked it, problem is, it doesn't appear to have Linux support.

Attached: 1200px-Total_Commander_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 34K)

Okay, thank you. I assumed it was probably the new buzzword to throw when you didn't have an argument based off what I've seen.

What's a good book to learn assembly for beginners?

How do I screenshot a snapchat without the other person noticing?

Please tell me if I'm retarded or Mozilla (or both).

Their guide on building SeaMonkey (developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Build_Instructions/Simple_SeaMonkey_build) tells me to clone the comm-central repository via
hg clone hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/
Problem is the cloned repo misses several important files mentioned in the guide (namely client.py and client.mk, which are nowhere in the entire repo). So instead of managing the source code comfortably via Mecurial, I have to download snapshots from SeaMonkey's website (which include the necessary files).

download a screen recorder, and record the screen.

Took me a second to process what you're getting at. I believe the black bars that sometimes appear are just part of what the console sends out, and therefore something the monitor is not likely going to be able to remove. You may be able to stretch an image (although many ultrawides may not support this) but with the black bars intact, and therefore a very skewed image in the middle.

Is G2A safe to use or are there better alternatives for cheap steam games?

Kinuin is better.

what the fuck

RMS said there is no such thing as a stupid question?

Thanks for the rec dude. I just used it and got what I wanted in about 5 minutes

Anyone knows of alternatives for Gcam and Campfire Pro?
My shit phone is not compatible with Gcam and I don't like buying software.

Attached: cool gladion.jpg (850x1411, 103K)

got a new system set up, is there a better torrent client than utorrent 2.2.1 yet?

g2a gets so much shit from credit card fraud that it's straight up worse for the devs than pirating
no point paying them for keys if you can avoid it

>is there a better torrent client than utorrent
Pretty much any? Deluge, Transmission, qTorrent. Doesn't uTorrent literally have ads?

that's the last version of utorrent that didn't

I'm pretty sure that version has some pretty severe exploit, and you should avoid using it.