Is a VPN necessary in 2019?

Are VPN's a meme? I bought one for a few months for "protection" but more and more people have told me it's just way for youtubers to make money and you're safer/better off having your ISP having your logs than a random company. I guess if you wanna pirate games or something it might be useful?

Attached: index.jpg (378x133, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

torrentfreak.com/vpn-providers-no-logging-claims-tested-in-fbi-case-160312/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>and you're safer/better off having your ISP having your logs than a random company.

it's not just your ISP logging you it's all the websites you visit and all the companies that run scripts in the background of those websites.

What's the big deal though? all they do is gather data to advertise shit to you and I don't have cable and I use an adblocker.

>youtubers to make money
I've seen this trend recently. They say like hey guys muh privacy but this VPN. I'm pretty damn sure that if you ask them 'why privacy is important to me? I'm a nobody' then they can't answer. They're just shilling for $

Host one yourself, then only you have access to the data.

VPN isn't just masking your IP, its also encrypting the traffic and its useful in a lot of situations

>using public or unsecure wifi
>browsing the web and not wanting random websites to track you

its also really useful for other reasons than privacy such as VPNing into your home network while using your computer remotely. this means you have have access to all of your local servers and devices while not actually being at home

Unless you go to a shitty country or are downloading torrents you don't really need one.

meme, only people I've ever met that use them are braindead morons

Because Patriot Act. Do you want companies spying?

I know exactly why you nigger. The question is why now? Jow Forums has been shilling freedom and privacy for years, and if you talked about privacy few years back, you'd be called a weirdo and now all of a sudden muh privacy?
I tell you why. It starts with presidential election and defeat of Hillary. The Russian FUD, and now everyone's privacy is important because Russian hackers. So people buy this crap, but they don't realize that they are escaping from a pot and falling into fire. Sense of false privacy is worse than no privacy
>Do you want companies spying?
Just because you use a VPN doesn't mean companies can't spy on you. Privacy is not a one shot thing. It's a process and a discipline in itself. VPN won't help if you don't care other aspects of privacy and these YouTubers wouldn't tell you that because they don't know and they want to shill the product

All VPN services take logs. The intense shilling behind VPNs is to trick people into thinking they're secure. Then, they will do what they're trying to hide under the illusion of privacy. But the VPN keeps logs anyway, so the three letter agencies get what they want regardless - except, in the is case, they also get more of people's dirty laundy because they were more willing to partake in less acceptable activity.

Also remember that these are the guys who deactivated Facebook because of Cambridge Analytica incident in media thinking Facebook is bad, and flocked to Instagram and whatsapp

>Paying for a VPN
Buy a VPS then setup a VPN on it.

If I took photos of you to sell to third parties when you rent an apartment/house from me, would you be upset? My third parties are trusted individuals to my business and we're only using your habits and photos as a point of reference to sell you products in a more efficient way.
People seem to think the internet "isn't real life", so they think someone creepily spying on them and selling that information off is okay. But that shit is like the paparazi in the bushes of a celebrity's house to take photos outside their windows.

VPS?

There's a difference between advert companies spying on you and some creepy fuck outside looking through your window or some advertiser hearing I like pancakes through my phone or seeing me jerk off on webcam. I don't give a fuck if they want to use my data to advertise, if there's a product I want i'll buy it. If it's some shit I don't care about i'll ignore it, that's the free market/capitalism. So no I don't give a fuck if some company has my personal data because it's not like some incel getting my info and using it to harass me or some shit. Plus it's 2019 you should have adblock.

Virtual private server. You can get VPS services for the same price or even cheaper than what you pay for a VPN. Assuming you aren't a complete retard, it's not difficult to set it up as a VPN or just tunnel through the VPS. On top of that you can also set up a seedbox, host (small) websites, VOIP, SMTP relays, etc. or pretty much anything else you can do with a server, all at the same time instead of paying for some shitty VPN.

How likely are you to get banned from a VPS if you use it for torrenting 24/7? Btw a remote seedbox sounds a bit inconvenient because you have to download shit twice.

Are you me?

>So no I don't give a fuck if some company has my personal data because it's not like some incel getting my info and using it to harass me or some shit.

companies are made up of people believe it or not.

if a google employee wanted to stalk you they could.

>connecting to internet via public network
>accessing to content blocked in your country
>buying cheaper but region locked products
>hiding your traffic from your isp
>hiding your real ip address from sites you visit

VPN is good to have. Even more so these days when counterterrorist unit might show at your door because of anti immigration "hatespeech" on internet.

Same guy as Let me answer for him; he doesn't give a fuck.

The solution is to chain a few vpns together in order to limit your exposure to any one malicious actor and then use tor as your last hop.

The ignorance ITT is why I now need two factor to sign into my accounts

>They're just shilling for $
1. Doesn't stop the product being good
2. I wish I had $

if you don't give a fuck then you should just post under your real name like most people do on social media.

I think what most people on Jow Forums really want is the illusion of privacy, it's why there are constant retard wars over which browser is a botnet or not.

This. It's a honeypot. If you're using modern hardware then you are already compromised anyway.

>All VPN services take logs.

torrentfreak.com/vpn-providers-no-logging-claims-tested-in-fbi-case-160312/

they don't as exampled here.

but you could always use tor or your own vpn.

>I guess if you want to pirate games

Games aren't even tracked that much aside from the big western publishers. I'd only get a VPN if I pirated recent movies/TV shows.

Why would I take a step further to post using my real name? Are you dense?

certain vpns like mullvad are nice to have, but not necessary.