How many years do you think it will take for most AAA games to have Ray Tracing?

How many years do you think it will take for most AAA games to have Ray Tracing?

Attached: 1547337240621.jpg (680x960, 108K)

At some point, but not for the reason you think. Technology is slowing down and gimmicks are taking over.
See the Touch Bar.
Partial raytracing is just another gimmick which producers can throw in to keep things interesting.

a decade maybe, and i dont see half-assed selective raytracing being useful, it needs to be all or nothing
it only depends on how powerful video cards can get

Depends on how much the hardware side shills it. If Nvidia got spooked by the bad sales, then it will just be another meme like PhysX.

I'd say a good 5 years

Until consoles can all do it in all games.

Oppai

They have it as an option like hairworks but no-one will ever use it because of the drop off in framerate.

Never, until quantum computing becomes a thing, and even then you'd have to wait several decades for it to hit the general market, and then another few before all games have it. Until then you can enjoy the meme knockoff version that's only actually simulating ray tracing to 1%, that NVIDIA is selling you.

Delete this immediately
Remilia is for perflat

Years if not never.
Raytracing is mostly a gimmick.

>busty Remilia
Nope.

huhge remi bobers

Also oppai remi a cute.

>Remi with tits
Delete this immediately

Depending on just how shitty you want it to look, you could be playing fully raytraced Quake right now if you wanted to.

It's not that we couldn't do raytracing. Real time applications chose not to because it is inherently something that can't be bullshitted around and requires shitloads of power no personal computer will ever reach.
You can settle for really, really low effort and shit-looking raytracing the GPUs will be able to barely plow through. But that's like saying you've solved all NP-complete problems because you have something that can guess the result correctly (and fast enough) with 40% probability, take it or leave it.

It will only work out if the developers have the incentive to do the extra work to include it in their products. And that incentive would be either NVidia paying them to do it or there being enough of a an userbase of RTX or whatever AMD will come up with eventually.

Since new generations will now include RTX support, at least on Nvidia cards, and every gaymer chooses to upgrade eventually, I will be optimistic and say 5-7 years ar most.

Literally never, nobody would like to lose half of the potential user base is exclusively for ray tracing and if it is an option unless novideo paid you to add it it would probably not worth the effort

Just another gimmick for Nvidia and AAA devs to shill instead of making quality, interesting content.

Cut budgets, dev team sizes and modern graphic api's in half across the board and I guarantee games would enter a second Renaissance

I predict RTX will go through the same stages of acceptance as tessellation.

Year or two. Basically as soon as possible as raytracing saves developer time (if you make the rtx off look like it did in nvidia demos)

If you are talking about the gimmick tracing i would say 2 years when DXR and VulkanRT takes off.

In 10 years the GPUs will transform into full blown RT devices and we will dump the rasterization entirely.

The switch will be as dramatic as was from Build Engine shooters (Duke, Blood,Shadow warrior) to Unreal Engine 1.

>I predict RTX will go through the same stages of acceptance as tessellation.
RTX will go through the same stages of acceptance as PhysX

But DXR and Vulklan RT will become a revolutionary step forward like DirectX 9 was,

I say "RTX" because ray tracing is already acceptable. RTRT?