Will apple have to make an Australia only OS? How is this not going to be a complete clusterfuck?

Will apple have to make an Australia only OS? How is this not going to be a complete clusterfuck?
reuters.com/article/us-australia-security-data/australia-passes-bill-to-force-tech-firms-to-hand-over-encrypted-data-idUSKBN1O42SR

Attached: Capture.png (1105x859, 694K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/sharedsource/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That is going to be a challenge since I think that US companies legally cannot give that out. Well maybe they could legally hand it over encrypted, but I'm sure that they aren't allowed to share how to decrypt them, or even the source code.

"the most far-reaching such requirements imposed by a western country. "

because the internet should never have been a safe haven for criminals and terrorists

thanks to the united states government haven't zero clue how to manage the internet properly and allowing American companies to do whatever they like - in breach of constitutional rights and public safety - we are asking for something normal:

access to the same information your intelligence agencies grab whenever they like and when they are refused, they bow out like the limp dicks they really are.

it is time to put a fucking snap on big tek. they will never be fit to run the world, have killed thousands through their stupidity and negligence, and belong in fucking jail for profiting from terrorism and crime.

>they aren't allowed to share how to decrypt them, or even the source code.
Are you dumb? Even Microsoft gives the windows source code to other governments because they're required to.

>it's illegal to hand over userdata to secret service
Nice try PRISM shill

Attached: 1547384538573.gif (500x284, 1.75M)

This is not GDPR compliant :^)

>Will apple have to make an Australia only OS?
Probably not. They're a US company, not an Australian company.

Apple is a US company and thus not in the jurisdiction of Australia. Duh.

>implying there isn't backdoors already

Constitutional rights are only rights the government has to abide by. Companies are under no such obligation.

>Are you dumb? Even Microsoft gives the windows source code to other governments because they're required to.
Its not because they're required you to retard. Lots of people can get access to it

microsoft.com/en-us/sharedsource/

>Companies are under no such obligation.

bullshit. violate my rights I can have you arrested, sued, shot, milked, permanently. laws are laws. break them and see what happens.

big tek are about to learn that they are not above the law.

That’s not how it works. They exist in Australia therefor have to obey Australian law

I just read that they lightened the restrictions on non government cryptography for export, but still has restrictions.
Also within the states US citizens are entitled to have as powerful encryption as possible, and is considered to be covered under the first amendment.
There's also the ENCRYPT act that's supposed to protect encryption, and bans states from prying.

It could get to the point tech companies entirely vacate australia and a grey import situation arises where semi-shady importers and middlemen bring products in, while the makers officially "have no business in Australia. Many countries have been/are in this situation from time to time. The question is why would Australia, supposedly a sophisticated first world country, start effectively trying to adopt Brazilian or the Soviet Union economic practices? This could be very expensive just from the perspective of upheaval and damage in Australian IT networks. The cost of business in Australia just went way up, and small vendors will run in fear.

Man policies like this make me hate boomers so much

They have a physical presence in Australia and have to pay taxes to the government, which means they're available for prosecution if they don't abide by the laws.
What they should just do is pull out of Australia.

The absolute state
This is the kind of laws that "small gubmint" libertarians support in Australia lmao

>why would Australia, supposedly a sophisticated first world country, start effectively trying to adopt Brazilian or the Soviet Union economic practices?
I swear we're still in the past here
only noticed all the super future tech shit in the last couple of years
this forced anti-encryption shit just sounds like they're scared and they've given up

hope it gets laughed at and shut down before becoming official

The constitution simply lays out what the US government is and is not allowed to do. For example, it cannot restrict free and nonviolent assembly. However, a private company can prevent you from assembling on its land. The government may not be able to restrict your speech (much), but Facebook can do whatever it pleases.

They aren't above the law, but they do freak carefully. Unfortunately, they understand the law quite a bit better than you do.