I was a longtime gnome user and recently tried xfce which I always remembered as one of those "desktop enviroments for...

I was a longtime gnome user and recently tried xfce which I always remembered as one of those "desktop enviroments for old computers", but holy shit...
It's wonderful, it's fast and it's customizable.
Fuck gnome.

Attached: xfce.png (1200x1200, 331K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Multiple_displays
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> inb4 how do i unsubscribe from your blog

how do I unsubscribe from your blog?

how do i unsubscribe from your blog

how do i install gentoo?

HolyC holy os

Can XFCE run on Wayland?

Just download gentoo.exe from microsoft.com and double-click, my dude.

I like LXDE more because I want the Linux equivalent of the Windows XP experience.

Wayland is a piece of shit.

LXDE looks like shit. you can make xfce actually look decent

Did you try q4os?

I absolutely love XFCE; it's my favorite DE and I am currently using it on my desktop computer, but I wish it supported HiDPI screen better.
I have a Dell XPS 13 with a 4k screen and XFCE just looks awful on HiDPI.
I tweaked it a lot and made it usable, but it just looks awful, so I ended up switching to GNOME on my laptop even though I really wish I could use XFCE.

>LXDE looks like shit.
But I like it, plus it's more lightweight than XFCE, Granted: there is a some upsetting things here and there.

Nope, never heard of, I am going to take a look.

Nah, only their panel is worse, but it's not like you can't run LXDE with Xfce's panel.

imagine using gayland

been using xfce for a long time right now , now am trying to be ready to transfer to a tiling window manager like i3 or dwm .

>XFCE
>Thunar crash when you transfer move/copy large number of files.

>Still no "Press meta to quickly search for / launchg programs"
Into the trash it goes. That's the one and only feature I truly need.

xfce+i3 boys ww@

Better than the shitfest that is xorg

Just use dmenu for that nigger

>what is cp and mv
goddamn fucking autists

>suggesting CLI on DE thread

good choice, make sure you use compton if you experience video clipping

reminder to use Arc and GTK_THEME=Adwaita firefox

LXDE doesn't really have a look (neither does Xfce) it all comes down to the GTK theme in use. However xfwm's default theme is nicer to look at than any openbox one

1080p 22-24" 1x
1440p 30-32" 1x
4K 44-48" 1x
4K 22-24" 2x
4K 15" 3x

He's right you know?

>Basic tasks require basic tools

Are you me? I always used Gnome 3 and thought that the only viable alternatives for a full fledged DE are KDE or maybe Cinnamon and thought less of XFCE. I recently gave it a real try and kinda fell in love with it. It's not perfect and it has some issues, but it's pretty comfy.

What DM/Locker do you use with XFCE? Light-locker has been kinda buggy for me.

lightdm / gnome-screensaver

>"""BASIC"""
>need \ when space character is used in file name
>need i to not overwrite files with the same name
>need R to move folders
>need v to see what's happening
"""BASIC"""

I know, I know; but even if you scale the different components, it just looks weird in the end.
There is actually no way to scale the entire desktop all together like on GNOME.
I'm not saying that it isn't usable; it's perfectly usable. But it looks ugly. I like XFCE on my desktop because I can make it look absolutely beautiful, but on HiDPI screens, you can get something usable, but not something beautiful.

iirc there is a hidpi gtk theme: oomox or smth

what looks ugly?

This.
After using any de that have this feature, there is no going back.

I prefer gnome to be honest. But let's see your best xfce setup and I'll consider switching

jdi zpatky do prace hnido

It's actually fixed.

>retardo not knowing how to use easy cli commands pretending he knows
and what is your point?

Attached: ifondlekids.jpg (310x293, 23K)

You can, you just need to use something like xcape to make super open the menu. They're working on it being supported directly by xfce too.

>xfce
>*screentears in front of you*
now what, user?

Really? I wish I had problems has simple has pressing 3 or 4 keys after a command. Careful with your keyboard, if you touch it too much it might bite you

How the heck do you resize titlebars in xfce? Or is it just tied to your theme? I like the theme I'm using but the titlebars eat up so much space

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-14_22-39-35.png (2560x1440, 1.31M)

Post wallpaper fren?

>fixied
I can still produce it in thunar 1.8.2, just start multiple copying operation.

How the fuck does Gnome even exist?
Literally any major DE is better.

It works ootb and is default in popular distros like ubuntu, centos, fedora. It's that easy.

It works outside the box, it looks sexy (but that's subjective), it's really good with touch screens and it's user-friendly (aside from a few weird things in it).

I don't use GNOME myself because I don't have to.
This is GNU/Linux; if you don't like something, you are not forced to use it. You don't have to ask for GNOME to not exist; you can just not use it.
Also, GNOME, KDE, cinnamon, deepin and pantheon are the only DEs I know of that work outside the box with HiDPI displays, which are becoming popular on most new laptops, even Linux laptops like the new Librem laptop have HiDPI displays.
(KDE needs just a bit of tweaking to get it work with HiDPI, but nothing anyone can't handle; it's mainly scaling the fonts and the desktop).

Also, another important thing in GNOME for HiDPI displays is Wayland; if you want to connect your laptop to another monitor; Wayland makes it super easy to set different scaling factors for each monitor, which helps a lot when the monitor you're connecting your laptop to is not a HiDPI monitor.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Multiple_displays

The default basic bitch it just """""works""""" shiny "modern" "full featured" DE for normies and tech illiterates.
It's like Windows, once you turn on your computer for the first time and find the OS working, adapt and learn you don't give a shit anymore.

Oh no, a developer caters to the needs and interests of most of the people instead of catering to the needs of some autistic nerds and makes usable software, how could he do that!

Xfce is kill

Attached: kekbuntu.png (658x455, 118K)

XfQt when?

Welcome home white man

>usable software
bloat

I just wish it had more development. There are a couple really aggravating issues, like the poor multi-monitor support, 1px window borders, and other little niggling things. It's hard to justify using it over KDE nowadays.

I literally never had this problem

>poor multi-monitor support
I want to get a 1440 monitor to go with my 1080 monitor, but apparently if I do that I'll have to deal with my taskbar not being only on one monitor. Xfce's panel widget only lets you specify how big it is as a percentage of screen width, not as a number of pixels, so if you put a 1440 monitor and a 1080 monitor next to each other, you can't have the panel of the correct width to fit on only one of them. 1920/(1920+2560) = 42.8%, 2560/(1920+2560) = 57.1%.

Next you'll realize how KDE is vastly superior because it actually has features

>but apparently if I do that I'll have to deal with my taskbar not being only on one monitor.

Huh, I recall being able to have one panel on one monitor just fine. My principle issues with XFCE's multi-monitor support arise when your secondary monitor is to the left of your primary monitor--when using xfwm4, a shit ton of windows will open on the leftmost monitor. Another annoying issue is that desktop icons will always align/be created on the leftmost display.

Mint has fixed this by default months ago.

probably never
hope lxqt reach a usable state soon

the panel math works out fine if your screens are matching in resolution, you set the width to 50%. It's only if they're mismatched that it breaks.

Also the "shit breaks if the primary monitor is not the leftmost" is an X thing, I think, not just an Xfce thing. Has to do with how X measures screen coords. Its basically impossible to get, eg, a fullscreen game to appear on anything other than the bottom-leftmost monitor under X.

>tearing
>enable compositor
>capped to 60hz
why is KDE the only DE that doesn't do this

>Also the "shit breaks if the primary monitor is not the leftmost" is an X thing, I think, not just an Xfce thing. Has to do with how X measures screen coords. Its basically impossible to get, eg, a fullscreen game to appear on anything other than the bottom-leftmost monitor under X.
Sort of. It's both program specific and WM dependent. For instance, I was able to swap out xfwm4 for Openbox and most of the same windows that would open on the wrong monitor were opening on the correct one, but some programs are dumb and will open on the wrong monitor no matter what.

i just wish KIO wasn't a pile of shit. at least gvfs can open remote files in place without downloading the whole fuckin thing

ftfy

Attached: 1547549794812.png (1200x1200, 310K)

enjoy your input delay

only shitty compositors like xfce's introduce input delay

you aren't getting rid of tearing without vsync, which unavoidably adds input delay
try harder kid

how do I unsubscribe from your blog?

Attached: 1540077253755.png (364x390, 161K)

KEK. Based. Xfces fans on suicide watch

Wayland is unstable. I couldn't stand it and went back to x11.
The fucking mouse pointer lagged and didn't accelerate properly.
The touchbar scrolling didn't work like expected either.
Clippy copy/paste management randomly stopped functioning.

Like what the fuck. Gnome with Wayland suck balls ATM.

welcome to the club

xfce btfo

Attached: 1539758919669.png (713x611, 26K)

>XFCE is great!
>Screen tearing no matter what I try
>Scales like absolute dog shit for 4k
>But its great!

I hate you all so much.

>using linux in 2k19

Attached: 1547313758812.gif (245x280, 1.3M)

I don't use either but why would someone use Xfce over LXDE?
They are both gtk

I got you senpai

Attached: 1467520556309.png (3064x1724, 2.56M)

my main is a night elf mohawk

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-15 21-51-43.png (3840x1080, 1.63M)

maybe i dont know what im missing but xfce just reminds me of winxp in how clean and fast and minimal it is

Maybe because LXDE is dead?

xfce is a de and looks nicer
lxde is a semi de - it's modular simple tools
so it depends on what you want but iirc xfwm uses xcb and openbox doesn't

yet its still better than xfce.

lxce looks way closer to what old window did
see pcmanfm

how so?

fuck. how do I fix this.

doesnt eat ram
no screen tearing

Also interested in the answer to this

Attached: 35.png (378x376, 213K)

pcmanfm has dual pane, thunar does not

XFCE isn't for old computers anymore, it uses pretty much twice the amount of memory of LXDE.

But I have to agree that LXDE looks like shit, so there's LXQT, which uses a little more than LXDE but looks good.

Attached: cmp-all4.png (698x690, 32K)

>XFCE uses more RAM than MATE
doubtful
>LXQt
pcmanfm-qt doesnt have dual pane, so fuck LXQt until it does

I too would like to know this

Attached: 2019-01-15-224030_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 391K)

>no screen tearing
wut

ye it has it but it's sucky

what has what

I wouldn't call a file manager an integral part of a DE though. It's a default utility that can be easily switched.
Although I agree that PCManFM is better than Thunar.

That graph is very outdated and you know it.

Attached: LXDE_LXQt_XFCE_Comparison.png (1650x766, 64K)