Computer science at school

Post your computer science school project in here. And no, don't post the actual project as it is in its complete form which you presented to the school and got grades from it but instead just explain what kind of projects there were at school.

Did your school use MATLAB to create somekind of simulation of systems? Did you used electronics drawing software to to draw up some circuit design?

Did you build stuff from lego bricks which was powered by Raspberry to create an robots?

Did you create a serial port device to demonstrate functioning of old school serial port, which is in its simplicity a better choice for learning than designing a USB device etc.?

Attached: enmuista.png (2268x2268, 193K)

I used balloons, newspaper and elmer's glue to build a giant mr potatohead.

We got taught about floppy discs while our computers had recently had the ports covered since they weren't used anymore and most of us carried around 64mb USBs.

That stuff is computer engineering

>just explain what kind of projects there were at school.
Stuff I did during my bachelor degree:
- Created a stop watch in digital circuitry class, using ripple counters and seven segment displays
- Did a bunch of stuff with ATmega32s, including reading potentiometers and joysticks and sending it to a flight simulator over serial
- Implemented link layer + routing on an emulated router
- Implemented bootloader, scheduler, context switching, protected mode memory management and a simple file system for a kernel running on Intel CPUs (and in Bochs)
- Implemented a compiler for a simplified C dialect

Stuff I did during my master's:
- Implemented OLSR routing on DD-WRT routers
- Created a protocol for DMA transfer for a PCI-to-PCI bridge
- Implemented elevator controller on FPGA

My master thesis:
- Created a networking testbed (with real computers) and evaluated the effect on per-segment latency of some modifications to the TCP retransmission mechanism in the Linux kernel using controlled packet drop (with netem) and packet drop caused by contention over a bottleneck (reduced bandwidth on outgoing link)

Not compsci but ee here
Designed a PCB for a theremin
had no idea about analogue stuff stuff i ended up using a fuckton of ics to deal with the signal digitally.
After some logic the signal was fed into a synthesis chip
Ended up working pretty nice

>Designed a PCB for a theremin
That's pretty cool

My grandpa started a shipping company back in the 60-70's, I'm going to build the fleet tracking system.

Raspberry pi with serial connection to a GPRS/GSM/GPS arduino shield sending gps data every minute with touchscreen + embedded offline navigation system with connection to the server. Also an angular based web app with routing, management and tracking options.

> - Did a bunch of stuff with ATmega32s, including reading potentiometers and joysticks and sending it to a flight simulator over serial

How to make simple arduino projects sound complex

No. We wrote applications in java involving sockets and used javafx for the graphical user interface.

>I did a bunch of interesting stuff but for my master thesis I measured linux performance
Utah2k called

Lmao this pajeet thought he was slick

We used STK500s. This was before Arduino was even a thing. also Arduinos use Atmega328s.

Didn't measure Linux performance.

sage undergrads

Bump

This sounds more EE than CS to be quite honest.

Stop stealing ideas for your final new fag

I'm only a BS in CS but Ive done shit like write a script to measure and record data for keystroke biometrics, written a PHP script to steal data from a database and the man in the middle attack demonstrations never fucking end...

In 8th grade, I didn't have anything done for my science fair project that was due the next day, so I drew some colored boxes in MS Paint, printed them out, and stuck them on my board along with some made up bullshit about programming a video game where you control said boxes. Got a 100 because the teacher thought it was magic or something.

I had to do two projects this semester.
- For my compiler construction course, I had to build a simple compiler using Lex (Flex) and Yacc (Bison). It wasn't required to design something too complex; it had to have variable declarations and definitions, flow-control structures such as for-loops, while-loops, if-statements, etc, relational, arithmetic and logical operators and a few other things.
That's basically what I did; I didn't really have much time to add more stuff.

- For my computer graphics class, we had to choose any building from the university and model it in blender. We had to self-study blender for this project because it was not taught in class; in class, we learnt about computer graphics concepts, as well as implementing things in some APIs (we mainly focused on OpenGL, but we also learnt about Java's graphics API, HTML canvas graphics with Javascript and writing SVG files).

Projects I've done in my BS thus far:
- Subset of a C compiler with OOP tacked onto it. I wanted to make it a HolyC compiler but I didn't have the time this past fall (compiler construction)
- Program which optimized the layout of a factory floor using a parallel genetic algorithm (parallel)
- Parallel solver for the game "flood" (parallel)
- Made a concurrent skip list and tested performance under various conditions (parallel)
- Made a simple encrypted chat program, which was used to demonstrate an example of a man in the middle attack (cryptography)
- Wrote a research paper which was basically a quick run down on the current draft of TLS 1.3 (RFC 8446) (cryptography)
- Partially implemented TFTP (RFC 1350) (networking)
- Program which allowed up to 4 gameboys to communicate with each other, presentation on the link cable protocol (networking)
- Made a GUI for some physicists which was just an interface to a database, continued working on it over the summer (software engineering)
- Wrote a software requirements specification for an automated cruise control on a small ras-pi controlled rover, and implemented it.
- Created a BTree, graph, and hashmap which were stored on disk, and used them to create a cached graph of connected websites (data structures and algorithms).

Computational Physics not CS, but simulating galaxy collisions/probability simulations. Next quarter will be simulating quantum systems and other PDE stuff.

Attached: 4FD10FFE-449C-4CE7-8CE6-A363D2CEF392.jpg (720x716, 64K)

All in C

>All in C
that's a weird way to spell FORTRAN

FORTRAN is actually an option in the class but no ones gonna use it, not even the TA

Understandable desu. All of the physicists I've met use it extensively and I feel really bad for them

AFAIK C is just as fast and is obviously more applicable elsewhere
I’m not sure if FORTRAN is even taught anymore m, no point I don’t think

Afaik, a lot of people still learn it to work with legacy systems and also for some scientific application development.

There is a lot of legacy software that is in FORTRAN that nobody wants to translate to C - often times because the programs are thousands of lines of uncommented code.

It is also the case that there are some places where FORTRAN can be faster (like matrix multiplication). Not surprising since FORTRAN has had more time than C to mature in terms of compiler optimizations.

>It is also the case that there are some places where FORTRAN can be faster (like matrix multiplication)
This was true 30 years ago, but is a misconception that continues to be perpetrated today. All modern FORTRAN compilers use the same IR and back-end as C compilers, meaning that they support the same optimisations.

AFAIK, it isn't possible to use SSE/SIMD intrinsics in FORTRAN, but that is definitively possible in C, which means that matrix manipulation is considerably faster if you use C and SSE for example.

Working on a free parking space detection system using YOLO9000 made by an MLP fag.

Can you do GPU programming in FORTRAN? GPU computing is also an option in the class that I plan to learn, so that ofc hands itself to C

>Can you do GPU programming in FORTRAN?
FORTRAN is as easy to link with as C, so you can trivially write CUDA and then call FORTRAN functions (and call simple wrapper functions from your FORTAN code). I guess it is also possible to use the CUDA driver API (plain C API) directly from FORTRAN code.

yea there is CUDA FORTRAN. GPU programming can be tough though, much moreso than just regular multi threaded programming.

Pretty sure fortran does support SSE/AVX

Why not learn CUDA with C, though?

You're probably right, I'm not too familiar with Fortran. But in any case, that would be considerably faster than doing it "naively" (in lack of a better word).

Yeah that’s what I plan

The only big project I worked on in CE before dropping out was building a wifi radio. Aka babylevel rasppi project with Linux, pandora, and soldering a small lcd panel and a few buttons

Now I do database tech support

>Did your school use MATLAB to create somekind of simulation of systems? Did you used electronics drawing software to to draw up some circuit design?
>
>Did you build stuff from lego bricks which was powered by Raspberry to create an robots?
>
>Did you create a serial port device to demonstrate functioning of old school serial port, which is in its simplicity a better choice for learning than designing a USB device etc.?

This shit is way more CE than CS.

Also, I've mostly done data structure/algorithm implementations in C++. For my game development course we did some 2D game development with HTML's canvas, plus I did some SDL2.

I did a little encryption/decryption tool in React for some basic ciphers for a security course, and I set up an RFID authentication system with AWS for an Internet of Things course.

Only other interesting thing was coming up with a mobile app using cordova/javascript in a team that had designers from our art school who would create UI assets and layouts.

I'm currently doing that as a hobby project after work.

Attached: IMG_0742.jpg (4032x3024, 1.88M)

Hey, look at that. Same breadboard and everything

Do a better job than I did and don't hardcode an ip/wifi security because I only needed it to work while at school.

This is a much simpler project, I only have a couple of cheap 433 MHz transmitters and receivers, so I'm making my own transmission protocol and writing a serial driver for it. I get to use all my knowledge from the microcontroller and signal processing class I did like 9 years ago, so it's kind of fun to do after staring at 20 year old C code for 8 hours a day. at work.

I wrote a compiler in C implementing most of Haskell 98. That was extremely edifying, particularly when I delved into more sophisticated garbage collection schemes.

Got this free when I enrolled two years back and I havent used it except once in a project. In other words, I have been slacking

However, If I want to pick up the pace then what should I do with it? I can get extras for it too.

Attached: IMG_20190115_223146.jpg (1944x2576, 1.62M)