Assuming I don't need much storage, is the raspberry pi reasonable for a home server...

Assuming I don't need much storage, is the raspberry pi reasonable for a home server? Mostly for git repos and sharing files between my machines etc. Would like something power efficient and quiet. Does anyone here do this?

Attached: pi.png (624x390, 67K)

never did something like this
although i'd like to some day
i do think it is reasonable for a home server

Right, I'm not one of these hoarders who wants to store TV shows and movies and other shit (I don't watch them anyway). So I think a NAS is totally overkill. Just looking for a way to keep my scripts organized without pushing things into the cloud constantly.

Wi-Fi or sub GbE (think the B+ is 300Mb?) makes it a pretty shit idea. Also any storage would be attached by USB 2.0.

I wouldn't, personally.

related question

are there any libre alternatives?

I use a RPi3 that has Kodi and Plex (obviously not transcoded, but just pushes out H264 files) running on it attached to a 1TB HD in a USB 3 cheap caddy as well as a 64GB MicroSD card. It also acts as an FTP server and has torrented files written to its HD from a RPi Zero W over the network (gigabit Ethernet).

The RPi Zero W also has a VPN permanently running although with Transmission, Sonarr, Jackett and a http proxy server

The RPi 3 also handles all media files for my family as well as my backup server for my dissertation and business files and a git repository for my business projects.

All works perfectly, nothing goes wrong. Occasionally the RPi Zero W shits the bed due to mono and its many memory leaks but updates make this happen less and less. Transfer speeds between the RPi 3 and my PC for transferring torrents around and other files clock in at around 10MB/s roughly using Filezilla

Get a passive heatsink for the raspberry pi and a proper case. I'd also recommend the 3B+ for the gigabit Ethernet port (you don't get gigabit speeds, but I think it can hit around 300Mbps).

So will it do what you want it to? Yep. These Raspberry Pi's are great, cheap and dead reliable. Just make sure you get a good quality, official power supply because cheaper ones can cause problems as the Pi draws more power (as and if it needs it).

Odroid homecloud instead

I would really like to see a router, made out of a Raspberry Pi.

The update policy of most home router sucks or they are fucking expensive.

How would one connect an array of old HDDs? Would a usb hub work ok?

I use a BananaPro for my NAS needs (2TB HDD attached). Yes, I am a data hoarder.

If you use the SD card, it's absolutely quiet and not expensive at all. I'd say go for it.

Use a powered one. 1 HDD over USB works if you use a 2.5A or 3A PSU. Any more will kill it. Much better to use a powered hub. More expensive, granted, but mo drives is mo betta.

If the USB hub is powered via a plug it should work just fine but expect speeds to fall due to the USB bus, but if they aren't all being accessed at the same time it could work fine. I only have a 1TB HD powered with a plug hooked up to my RPi 3 and it works absolutely fine.

As long as you don't expect incredible speeds, it works really well. I just SSH into both pi's and manage them that way and everything sits in the background running 24/7 without me touching anything really except the occasional reboot due to mono memory leaks.

People cry a lot about the Pi and using it for a media center, NAS, etc but I don't expect much for a £35 mini PC and it has blown every expectation I had out of the water. Keep your expectations lowish for file transfer speeds (like I said I get 10MB/s roughly over Ethernet and my network is all gigabit), although the 3B+ looks much better based on benchmarks I've seen and you should be 100% fine.

I'm not a fan of the logical layout of the Pi's (USB Everything). I have 3 Asus TinkerBoard's running various things (JMRI, OpenHAB, some other stuff) and I find they work much better for my needs. They're also GPIO pinout compatible with the Pi's, and most Pi accessories work with them.

It can work, but bear in mind that when you use a USB drive, the transfer speed will be limited to ~10-12 MB/s for Pi 3+ and ~6-8 MB/s for older boards.

>I think it can hit around 300Mbps
...in throughput tests. But since the hard drive shares the same USB port on the SoC, the actual file transfer speed is going to be less than half of that.

That's true, I hadn't considered that. Either way, it's a huge improvement and I'd recommend it

RPi isn't great as a router. It only has one Ethernet port that's capped to 100 or ~250 Mbps, and Wi-Fi is either absent or is barebones 11n with no 5GHz band and no MIMO.

>The update policy of most home router sucks or they are fucking expensive.
Mikrotik hAP ac lite comes with 5 ports, 2x2 11ac wireless, box and power supply for only $15 more. Or just get literally any shitty router that can be flashed with OpenWRT.

/thread

Attached: 1355098344676.jpg (500x750, 69K)

As a router I think it would be very limiting due to the Ethernet port and the Wi-Fi is not that great. I've tried using one as a temporary access point though until the one I brought arrived and it worked 'okay'. Not great speeds or anything, but it worked for basic web browsing.

USB is 480 MB/s retard

Attached: python-developer.png (658x660, 654K)

>2TB
>I am a data hoarder
Lol no.

That isn't hard. There are guides on how to set up bridging and wireless AP on a Raspbian or RaspBSD install, or you can run prebuilt Openwrt, or probably do it in five other ways.
But you are going to get a very, very basic router.

That's without overhead. USB 2.0 data layer isn't particularly efficient by itself, and there's Ethernet/TCP/IP and file system overhead on top of that.

So, 470 MB out of 480 MB is overhead? Sounds legit.

You're confusing megabits and megabytes. Plus as I've said, data has to go through the same USB link twice (HDD->RAM and then RAM->Ethernet), and USB doesn't work in full-duplex mode very well. Plus a shit ton of various overheads. So it's like 480 Mbps divided by 8, divided by 2, and then again by 2, and that's if the CPU and the receiving end don't slow anything down further.

I've been using a raspberry pi for my home server since June. If you don't need USB 3.0 speeds you'll be fine. If you plan to use Plex, get another device. I'm waiting for the Atomic Pi to open sales in Europe