/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1547473183593.jpg (511x700, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/SubscriberLink/776327/e0cf49b9b9976c5a/
brendangregg.com/blog/2017-08-08/linux-load-averages.html
wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN722N_v1.x
fsf.org/news/fsf-adds-hyperbola-gnu-linux-libre-to-list-of-endorsed-gnu-linux-distributions
voidlinux.github.io/assets/screenshots/xmas-ponysay.png
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2019-January/041971.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Linux

>job requirements
>be good with microsoft suite
>office, excel, outlook

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, Android, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Android plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Android system made useful by the Bionic corelibs, Toybox utilities and other open source software comprising a full OS designed for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.

Many users run a proprietary version of the Android system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Android which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Android system, developed by Google.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Android operating system: the whole system is basically Android with Linux added, or simply Android. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Android.

How do I get maximum video quality on mpv on Linux? For some reason video looks better on Windows.

I have a laptop with an nvidia card. I'm using the nouveau driver, the official one doesn't work. Trying to use intel graphics with mpv literally gave me a kernel panic.

>I'm using the nouveau driver
Thats your problem, virtually no card has reclocking so everything is stuck at like 50mhz. Use the other drivers

The official drivers don't work on my laptop for some fucking reason.

Christ I hate nvidia

Then make them work, you will have no performance in anything using nouveau
>hate nvidia
No you hate your inability to read a paragarph and then type some lines in the terminal

What distro are you using and how old is your video card? Arch based repos have older 390xx and 340xx drivers available

Yeah just "make them work" as if by magic. I have literally tried everything to make these drivers work, even a crazy setup involving multiple X servers. I'm used to it though. Nvidia stuff has been like this for years. I was more surprised about the intel drivers crashing my system.

Can't I get quality rendering with CPU decoding or something? I got an i7-8750H, it should be quite powerful.

Arch on a laptop with a GTX 1080. There was no option to buy a laptop with that processor without the GPU.

What are some terminal commands for impressing ladies

unzip && strip && touch && finger && grep && mount && make love && more && yes && fsck && fsck && fsck && umount; sleep

$ vrms -s | xargs sudo apt purge

why would you have nonfree software installed in the first place

Attached: 1547622532756.jpg (512x422, 29K)

nvidia? see above discussion about drivers

Sup, /fglt/.
Need some tmux help.

Is there a way to open a pane as full screen from the choose-tree picker?
Scenario where it's needed:
>have a big window open on a big monitor
>currently using another small window on a small monitor
>need to access one pane from the big window
>select that specific pane via choose-tree
>it opens the whole big window on a small monitor, fucking up the split sizes because they don't fit on a small monitor

So if I could open that specific pane as a zoomed in pane on a small monitor, then other panes wouldn't be affected by the size changes.
Any way to achieve this?

Attached: tmux-panes.png (1920x1053, 273K)

>List of spyware distros:
>- Ubuntu
>- Fedora (WIP) lwn.net/SubscriberLink/776327/e0cf49b9b9976c5a/

They literally say they don't track.

>spyware
>is completely optional and notes exactly what information will be collected (hint: it is nothing personally identifying)

Rate my aisleriot card theme
Has there ever been a more comfy solitaire theme than the windowsxp island one?

Attached: aisleriot.png (721x467, 188K)

>Nvidia stuff has been like this for years
I have had no problems with nvidia over the years, but i use debian

How does load average work with multithreaded cores?
Is a 4c8t CPU overloaded when load average is over 4 or over 8?

Attached: ge.png (633x21, 15K)

I have a google cloud server setup running Ubuntu. I've already configured it to be connected via SSH.
Is there an alternate way to access the SSH remotely by not using the IP of the server?
Could I mask the IP in some "cloud.google.com/whatever" and connect like this?

GIMP > Photoshop

Attached: 1518222513933.png (306x306, 159K)

>I have a google cloud server setup running Ubuntu
my condolences

>be a free man
>have full control over my computer
>people look down at you and call you out
>"look son, a freetard"

Attached: 1546132277824.png (1065x902, 1.74M)

sudo !!

no

Why Linux?

Should I use i3, i3-gaps, or awesomewm?

I don't know if Google sets up a domain for you somewhere, but you usually do that with a dynamic DNS service like no-ip or DynDNS.

Finally wiped Windows 10 from my Laptop after not using it for more than an hour in total since I bought it half a year ago.
Now just running Fedora and Gentoo.

Attached: 1513750619045.png (1450x2048, 2.15M)

Gnome

Neither. i3 is shit, i3-gaps is literally shit with gaps. Awesomewm uses lua therefore it is shit too. Use dwm or ratpoison like a decent human being.

God, she can free my software anytime.

i3 if you don't need gaps and want something easy to use that just works
i3-gaps if you like how gaps look (if you make them over 4 pixels big, you should seriously consider sudoku though)
awesome if you don't like i3 for some reason

>sudo pacman -S nvidia
Wow, so fucking hard

What distro do all the gay furries use?

Don't listen to the n00Bz here. Just use the TTY.

Is there a guide for installing Luke Smith's LARBS on ubuntu? Some things just seem to not be available in the list, or i cant figure out how to install them, and im struggling through very slowly by looking up every individual thing.

There is literally nothing wrong with loving men.

>autorice
sounds like the dumbest shit I've ever heard.
Anyway, there's nothing special in progs.csv. Some of the listed packages exist in AUR and I remember how nice it was to have AUR when I switched from Ubuntu to Arch. So no easy way except by hand, but I'm sure you can find them in a PPA or whatever.
You'd be way better off either ricing yourself, or at least skipping shit you know you won't need in that haphazard assortment of programs.

Helps allocating the phone's resources to Android.

It's arch

Faggot

Did you do it on a separate partition of the same disk? MS even jews you on the way out. W**blows needs to be installed at the front of the disk, which means if you delete that partition later and want to merge that free space into an existing linux partition you need to move it to the front of the disk and then expand it, which takes forever because it shifts all the data around
W******s is a virus

very true, it's not wrong, it's just really gay

Same disk, but moving the data isn't too painfully slow on a SSD.

How can I install a different distribution but keep my existing home folder?

>copy folder somewhere
>install new distro
>move old folder back
be careful, though. Your home directory probably has a lot of distro-specific sfuff, which won't transfer smoothly.
Instead, I recommend moving by cherry-picking: at first copy only what you know you need and then copy anything else if need arises.
It's also a great opportunity to clean up your folder beforehand!

Yeah I figured as much. I'm going from ubuntu to manj so not much will be compatible. I wanted to avoid copying the 500gb of steam games

I like to put /home on a different partition, so for me it's just mounting it and done.

My on-board sound card has the chip improperly wired to audio jacks. As a result, front panel headphone jack doesn't work.
I can remap the jacks and channels in kernel to fix this, but I don't know which jack is the correct one.
Is there a way to list the current mapping of pins/channels/jacks?

i have 2 gpus one nvidia gt 730m and an intel in optimus. i follow the youtube tutorials for installing the drivers on debian xfce. I want to fix screen tearing but every time i open nvidia x server it tells me to run nvidia-xconfig as root and whenever I do that it bricks my computer to where all i see when i reboot is a black screen with a small flashing white line (cursor). Is there any way I can use x server without running nvidia-xconfig? any help would be appreciated.
im on a thinkpad t440p

what happened with systemdolt exactly?

Takes just as long as copying and I do need to be picky because of the difference between the distributions. I already copied like 150gb

Someone found an exploit in journald which is circumvented by the compiler in most distros, and it was patched like a day or so later.

Attached: out-1(3).webm (640x360, 2.98M)

Does anyone use mutt or noemutt?
How the hell do I change the default inbox folder? I have 3 "mailboxes" listed which are just imap addresses.
So for example, one of them is the folder "Sent". How would I make it so that when I first fire up neomutt it displays the Sent mailbox instead of the Inbox mailbox? Even if I remove "Inbox" from my list of mailboxes it still opens up "Inbox". It's like some built-in default or something. It feels dumb as fuck to always have to wait for it to contact the server asking for new mails in my Inbox when I already know there aren't any because I have filters set up to move things to other places, and then have to manually switch to the desired mailbox.
Can it not be changed?

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Spent an hour searching and I just needed to attach a specific folder to the end of "spoolfile" all along.

Can anyone recommend Solus?
It looks pretty good, just getting into linux, mostly a W7 user

Attached: SOLUS.jpg (800x600, 71K)

give it a try i think you won't be disappointed

Any thoughts on Matrix? Tox is dead and I need a new secure and opensource IM to shitpost on.

Where I can find any info how to configure mksh shell?

I've been keeping an eye on it, but I still don't really know what to think yet.
The whole network seemed slow when I first started using it, or maybe it was just the immature clients, but it seems to have gotten significantly more responsive lately.
Some people seem to think it's the future for a lot of things, but the slowness it used to have makes me wonder if there's scaling issues or something. I really have no fucking clue though so take it with a grain of salt. I've tried looking for information/discussions on the speed of the protocol and network but I could never really find anything.

I love the concept though, so I hope it's truly viable long term. I mean, even if it just ends up being an IRC replacement I'd still like it much better, because it doesn't broadcast your IP and ISP to everyone, and it also means you are still technically receiving messages even when offline.
So you don't have to worry about those situations where you ask a question, then temporarily get disconnected and come back wondering if someone answered you or not.

Some of the clients also basically look and behave just like Discord too, including embedded media in the chat window, and we all know how popular discord is so there's definitely potential there. Plus it's federated.
They say matrix can even be used for live video and voice chats, but I'm a bit skeptical of that again due to the speed concerns I mentioned earlier. Although I suppose if smarter people than me think it can be used for live video streaming then perhaps my concerns are unwarranted.

I do think a lot of the clients are still shit though. It needs more development. The weechat plugin just eats up CPU, and others are missing features or seem buggy.
I'm most interested in the development of "gomuks" and the Emacs matrix client.

It's half dead. Just use Ubuntu Budgie.

Thanks. That's more info that I expected. I guess I'll give it a try.

The answer to what load average really means is "it's complicated". If you want a detailed explanation, including graphs, tests, and a dive into some Linux archaeology, read this:
brendangregg.com/blog/2017-08-08/linux-load-averages.html

man mksh
It doesn't support much in the way of configuration.

Linux is communism.

Attached: ballmer.jpg (416x416, 17K)

and that's a good thing

That's the most obvious thing and it doesn't even come to my mind. Thanks a lot :)

anyone have advice on installing firmware/ drivers for tp-link n150 (TL-WN722N) on debian stretch (devuan ascii)?

i added non-free stable repo, installed firmware-atheros but not sure if this is what i need.

Attached: CF58A01A-0AD8-4ED9-BD61-96724980B223.jpg (1100x1100, 118K)

can anyone post the browser privacy chart? the one with icecat on top

How to install jDownloader2 on arch/KDE? The one in aur has different logo. The .sh installer from their site works, but the system tray bugged out.

Attached: 1531164019497.png (218x512, 11K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, Communism/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Communism plus Linux.
Linux is not a political ideology unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning Communist system made useful by the Communist manifesto, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full political system as defined by Karl Marx.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Communist system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Communism
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the Communist system, developed by the Marxism Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of a political ideology, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete political ideology. Linux is
normally used in combination with the Communist political ideology: the whole system
is basically Communism with Linux added, or Communism/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of Communism/Linux.

9/10, the beach back is good but not perfect

P sure it's in the infographics thread

wikidevi knows what you need
wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN722N_v1.x

Probably a dumb question:
What's the easiest way to replace a distro with another?
I want to replace Mint with Debian. Baring in mind that my partitions are split between home and root, how difficult would it be to replace/remove Mint?
It was hard enough learning the UEFI shit to install it.

Thoughts about Fedora Silverblue

Attached: silverblue-logo.png (212x259, 11K)

thanks i’ll have a look

>FSF adds Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre to list of endorsed GNU/Linux distributions
fsf.org/news/fsf-adds-hyperbola-gnu-linux-libre-to-list-of-endorsed-gnu-linux-distributions

voidlinux.github.io/assets/screenshots/xmas-ponysay.png

lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2019-January/041971.html
>Will stop maintaining systemd in debian for a while.
>What's going on is just too stupid/crazy.

Attached: curb-your-enthusiasm-2007.jpg (460x307, 95K)

>in debian
Their opinion doesn't count anymore. Debian has become a cesspool of SJWs and cucks that get insulted by boobs.

C O P E
O
P
E

Can't see its niche, and IBM buying RedHat for a lot of money is a huge uncertainty. They might get desperate to earn it all back quickly, US boom or bust management...

No thanks. I still have my freedoms so I'll just switch to a less cancerous distro. Debian was a great system once, but not anymore. SAD!

Kek

Got a Pi running behind a VPN. Ssh works fine when connected at home (LAN) but can't seem to connect outside off of my LAN.
How can I connect to the Pi via SSH from a different place/internet connection?

Attached: wat.png (250x250, 34K)

Does your VPN provider have restrictions for any protocols?

Not that I know of. Using PIA though.

>arch
Nvidia drivers just werk in ubuntu. Why do you make things harder than they need to be?

fuck Jow Forums should i install arch or slackware
>inb4 install gentoo
i might desu

Attached: 1524972747775.png (1124x1136, 1.21M)

Slack

arch if you like a package manager
slack if you dont

Anyone?

Pretty easy imho, just point installer where the old root was and it will rewrite it.

Well I didn't answer because I think you asked this question before and I guess you weren't satisfied with my answer for some reason.
But all you do is overwrite it. There's nothing special about it.