Jow Forums's thoughts on OS X

Attached: og.jpg (1200x630, 43K)

It's alright. Don't really want to deal with the hardware it's usually paired with or deal with getting it to run on normal hardware

X-tremely based

It was good. Had all the usability of Unix with excellent software support.

I never used apple hardware, or software

Fairly good.

it's good. been using Hackintosh for 7+ years by now.

It's just the best OS for multiple reasons
>unix compability
>no games (to waste your time)
>looks nice
>has some useful features, which bind you into the ecosystem, but fuck it (key chain, shared browser history, iCloud storage)
>looks nice even in dark mode
>supports comercial software

I wish linux did all of those above so I could switch, but let's not be delusional...

Based. No HiDPI issues like with wangblows and shitnux.

Examples of hidpi issues?

It's a pretty solid OS, a few things that make it less useable than Linux for me but it's still really nice

Unix environment with decent desktop, and that's all. Never used Linux desktop for more than one week tough.

It's gay.

b-but I thought vir/g/ins hated everything Apple related

give credit where credit is due.

Implying thread posters are .
Thread reeks of pajeet bot fingers. This whole thread smells like it's been shat in.

Qt-based applications ignore the Gnome/GTK configurator DPI settings on Linux and there are also compatibility issues for old Gtk2 software. Windows can't scale its own legacy dialog windows.

>This whole thread smells like it's been shat in.
You can only smell what's around you, ramjet.

Only wintoddlers hate Apple.

>Ramjet
This makes me feel pretty good. Thanks for the compliment, kind streetshitter.

Best desktop OS hands down.
Too bad the choice of hardware is so poor.

I love it, it just sucks to be stuck buying Apple's increasingly overpriced hardware. Desktop Linux and Windows are just crap by comparison.

Xiaomi or someone should start building PC laptops that works as golden Hackinbooks. That's be amazing.

OS X was last released in 2015. It's not bad.

ITS BORKEN OOB

Unix

If it wasn't locked into Apple's ecosystem and hardware, it would be 10/10 GOAT. I know hackintoshes exist, but I've got better things to do than to try and confuckulate an unwilling OS onto vaguely supported hardware.

*sips* now That was an os

The normie gf is invested in the apple ecosystem so I use it here and there. The stuff that is intuitive/simple is mindblowingly good and makes me pretty jealous, but as soon as you try to step outside Apple's carefully painted lines it's an absolute nightmare. The amount of times I've tried to do something on OSX that would be a 2sec operation on Windows only to Google it and find out that it's either impossible or requires some janky home-spun-linux-distro-tier bullshit to fix is mindblowing.

>2sec operation on Windows only to Google it and find out that it's either impossible
Care to give an example?

has beautiful paid software that you cannot get anywhere else.

>loopback
>audio hijack pro
>pixelmator
>screenflow
>soundboard

not to mention the free native low resource Preview which allows for seamless transparenting, cropping, and exporting.

I'm on linux now though, cos I prefer heavier customization.

Like that?

It's Windows that invariably requires janky malware to do anything.

I’ve used it for years to do work. I just can’t deal with an OS that slowly degrades with normal use while my 12 year old Mac Pro running 10.6 is as fast as when it was new.

Good things:

-Shortcuts which everyone hates for some reason, but I find them as easy to learn as anything on different OSes
-The "desktop environment" is quite solid without stupid shit like tearing
-Font rendering is decent
-Some things genuinely just fucking work, no time wasted on stupid shit
-A fuckton of software that's related to production
-Updates don't (usually) break shit
-It's pretty stable

Bad things:

-Lacking on security
-Shitty OpenGL support because they feel like forcing Metal up your ass
-As a result, shitty library of games or games that run much, much worse under the same exact hardware
-Common basic features from other OSes not available (like snapping windows) unless you use third party software
-Same with their included apps (no embedded webm support on safari, no flac support on iTunes...)

Apple wants to kill stuff like OpenGL and Webm because it hurts battery life vs. their solutions.

I love the macOS, but not the Macs. Been using a hackintosh for almost 3 years now. It's been a pretty great experience so far. Only wish that recent versions had better (native) support for Nvidia Graphic cards. I work in ML amd having to switch between Linux and macOS because I want to use tensorflow is fucking annoying.

cope

MacOS is a decent halfway point between Windows and Linux/BSD. It polished up all of the Unix side so its not a complete fucking mess like Linux but is still allows power users to get shit done via the terminal. Its mainstream enough that it recieves attention from normie companies so the popular software is on it. I used a Hackitosh Thinkpad T420 up until this week when I put Arch back onto it. The main problem I have with MacOS is the mouse centric nature of its desktop environment. Once you start working with Window Managers like i3 its infuriating to go back.

As in basedboys?

Attached: nu males.jpg (994x745, 166K)

They burn battery because Apple wants a tailored ecosystem they control. If they spent time putting in hardware acceleration this would not be the case. They made an argument against the two by intentionally refusing to optimize for it.

I put it on my x220 it's pretty comfy I've now decided windows is the worst of all modern operating systems, only thing keeping it alive is software support. I think osx is a nice blend between windows and Linux since it has bash and software like the Adobe suite. Unironically my favourite os atm

Closed-source, bloated crap. It's bad.

OpenGL was never going to be as efficient at Metal. What is annoying is their not supporting Vulcan which can be.

Re: WebM, is it hardware accelerated on any platform? (I really don't know) At least a couple years ago it definately wasn't which is why Apple pushed everything to h264.

Poop

It's pretty cool desu

>Muh black and white perception of life

You act like a clock can't be right twice a day

I believe there is an unofficial compatibility layer between Vulcan and Metal now. Still, they shouldn't need a third party to do this shit for them

There are rightful stances to take against Apple as a company and Jow Forums mostly uniformly agrees on most points. Their practice of rendering perfectly good hardware obsolete through "updates" is a good starting point. The complete mess of "dongles" and removal of commonly used ports and jacks is another. As is the thermal issues on the Macbooks.

What you can't say is their software is "shit" or "unpolished." MacOS and the iOS remain very a very solid collection of software and work well with their ecosystem. They make no claims about aiming for power users like Jow Forums and it evident in the software. It's servicable but ultimately I think the crowd here leans towards GNU/Linux and BSD because they want the customizable OS.

>Outdated terminal utilities so you end up with 2-3 versions of some
>Window management without spectacle would leave a lot to be desired
>Subpixel rendering is spotty
>Most comfy OS anyway because of shortcuts, little need of mouse use
t. hackintosh daily driver

That's basically it

Somewhat usable, unlike Windows.

it's ok but kinda autistic in some ways

10.6.8 was good

Haven't really used it much but got a free core2duo Imac from someone tossing it , it has el capitan in it and I put linux in it too. Don't really use the osx much, but I guess it's "ok" it's a little weird though in some ways. Like hitting X doesn't actually close the program.

Some good features, but missing a bunch of usability shit that I like.
Basically the same as any other OS really

Yeah here, this was a perfectly fine pretty basic usable computer, and could still do modern web browsing with linux and stuff and apple users just abandon shit and are wasteful.

I wish I could try it on my laptop, but I need to change the network card beforehand.

im sure all these fine gents have a self built gaymen PC to play fortnite on when he leaves the switch power cord at tyrone's house!

me too

Reminder to report the obvious Apple shill threads.