Reinstalling

how frequent does Jow Forums reinstalls their OS?

Attached: windows 10 pro.jpg (207x243, 8K)

never

This!

When ever I do significant hardware changes.

Everythime I get sad or angry.

Whenever I'm not happy with the current behavior of the OS or there's something I want to try. Which is pretty frequently because every OS is quite flawed.

I remember back when windows vista was in beta I would reinstall the OS from XP to Vista several times per day because I liked it back then (even though it crashed every 10 minutes) but I couldn't switch to it permanently because my PC was shit (P4, 1GB RAM) and I could not play even cs 1.6 on it. So I would go from XP to Vista and then couple of hours later back to XP and repeat that several times a day.

My nigga

I usually only reinstall whenever I replace the motherboard or sometimes if I'm putting in a new boot drive. OS upgrades are always a reinstall.

on my computer i almost never do it, i reinstall an os on my laptop a fuck ton of times per week since i enjoy fucking with it

Twice a year
t. OCD

Whenever it gets cluttered. So quite often actually. Lately ive got a really old macbook air as a present that is almost obsolete. I probably reinstalled every OSX Version about 20 times to figure out which ones the best.

>Shutdown PC before going to bed
>Windows needs to installs some updates
>Wake up, PC won't even boot.
>Windows nuked itself again
I gave up and fell into the loonix trap. Now I spend my days fixing xorg.

every time it updates so it can work
t. win 10 user

Every time the oculus runtime shits the bed.

>Fixing xorg
Really now...

>OCD
>twice a year
you know nothing

every week or so

Used the same debian testing for 12 years across many machines until it failed with broken symlinks 2 years ago then I switched to Manjaro

>Used the same debian testing for 12 years
thats pretty impressive

Every 6 months. Debian stable.

not anymore since i got ssd.

I did it to test a new OS and for my first SSD.

i had to reinstall my Win10 because my Windows Store died due to "bitrot" or some shit
i just wanted to play FH4, man

I'm reinstalling W10 today because I have to replace the motherboard.

Dunno if I should go with 1803 or 1809.

>what is dual booting
retard

When I need to:
-Add another OS to my boot drive
-Fully rework my server from the ground up
-Get more resources freed up (switch to a different OS)
-Fix someone's PC

My HDD was like 80GB so I didn't have space for both.

Brainlets that can't into command-line.
kys faggot.

I reinstalled today after buying a new SSD, and surprisingly my ghetto office 2019 key I bought in the black market worked a second time
Literally what the fuck
I never format or reinstall

Relatable

You could have just reinstalled the store you dumb faggot, there's powershell commands for that

Actual ocd here. Once a week

Just built a new PC. Had Windows 10 linked to a Microsoft Account on my old PC. Log into account on new PC and to try and activate it. Get pic related. How do I unfuck myself?

Attached: Untitled.png (1139x361, 20K)

install gentoo

>he pays to have his OS randomly deny him usage

Attached: 1524167039224.jpg (640x400, 38K)

When I get a new system.
Fuck year, rolling release.

This, top kek

Never. It doesn't do anything. The idea that it will refresh your system and make it run better is total placebo. If you have a problem then you can fix it yourself; bandaiding over it by nuking the whole thing and reinstalling just makes you a shit.

Almost never, is it really mandatory to reinstall win frequently?

>paying the microjew for his "product"
yarhar fiddledee dee

>i get taken advantage of for free instead of paying for it
congratulations retard?

I've blocked all outgoing data to MS registered IPs on my firewall so it's not like it matters

Attached: 1521378223997.jpg (396x385, 31K)

Hahahahahaha, ok, if you say so

Whenever i feel bored.

Been using debian for 2 years now, I update it every now and then.
A good clue for people that aren't fit for computers are the ones that keep reinstalling their OS.

Attached: 1547460747363.png (813x1402, 370K)

Every 6 months

I want to switch to Linux, but why won't someone just make a Linux distro where I can double click on things to install them? I don't fucking understand the terminal and I can't install anything.

Once a new kernel comes out

All of them support graphical package managers, did you even check at all before making a post?

So if I download Google Chrome, put the package on my desktop, I can install something that will let me simply double click on that package to install it? Because I've never found a way to do that.

Linux looks very interesting, even if some of the screen colours and menu options appear to be a little out of the ordinary.

But you are missing a vital point, a point which takes some experience and depth of knowledge in the field of computers. You see, when a computer boots up, it needs to load various drivers and then load various services. This happens long before the operating system and other applications are available.

Linux is a marvellous operating system in its own right, and even comes in several different flavours. However, as good as these flavours are, they first need Microsoft Windows to load the services prior to use.

In Linux, the open office might be the default for editing your wordfiles, and you might prefer ubuntu brown over the grassy knoll of the windows desktop, but mark my words young man - without the windows drivers sitting below the visible surface, allowing the linus to talk to the hardware, it is without worth.

And so, by choosing your linux as an alternative to windows on the desktop, you still need a windows licence to run this operating system through the windows drivers to talk to the hardware. Linux is only a code, it cannot perform the low level function.

My point being, young man, that unless you intend to pirate and steal the Windows drivers and services, how is using the linux going to save money ? Well ? It seems that no linux fan can ever provide a straight answer to that question !

May as well just stay legal, run the Windows drivers, and run Office on the desktop instead of the linus.

I wanted to help you out but now that you told me you use chrome I'll just let you stay on wangblows, enjoy microsoft and google knowing literally everything about you and your life and selling that data to advertisers

whenever I fuck up something and don't know how to roll it back aka whenever I try installing anything on archlinux

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without Windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a Windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that Windows is more than just Office ? It's a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people don't realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

It's just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer from start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of Windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

I used Windows XP until 2013 and since I could slipstream the updates easily and the installation size was small I would reinstall whenever I felt like it, which was several times a year.

With Windows 7 the updates can take days to install, so I reinstall if I change my motherboard or boot drive only.

First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.

Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.

The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.

All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.

There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.

I have no desire to be a low level system designer, so I prefer systemd. I don't hate traditional init systems though. If a Linux system has one and I need to work with it, I'm still happy it boots and starts the necessary services.

>download to desktop
Boi
You open the software center if you're on something ubuntu, then you search "chromium" and you click the big blue install button
Or if you're on an arch or arch derivative you open pamac, check the box for chromium, and hit the install button it's fucking 2ez
People use the cli because it elimates the extra step of opening a package manager and it isn't hard to type "apt install chromium"

When it breaks in a way that it's faster to reinstall it than diagnose/fix it.

A Plain Text Editor.
That's right, if you're writer on a budget, you don't need to spend any money buying expensive writing software or apps. Instead, you can use the text editor that comes free with your operating system.

Just open up Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on a Mac. I like plain text editors for writing something short quickly and easily, without thinking much about it. I wrote a blog post about the benefits of using plain text editors as writing software.

This pasta never gets old.

go back

Is everything itt just a big copypasta

I still have the same install of windows 7 I've had for almost 8 years.

The registry must be hr giger tier

>he doesn't know
>the entirety of Jow Forums is just a copypasta regurgitation machine

Nah I've cleaned it up at times.

What's the absolute most handholding distro of linux for babbys out there?

every time Micro$haft releases a major update to long term servicing edition

anything with a package repo

ubuntu

the name says so, (n)ubuntu

Once a year or so.

Unnecessary for macOS really but nice to have a clean start once in a while

1. Find a way to install Windows 7 Pro and use daz loader on your new installation, or another activation method that's similar
2. Upgrade to w10 from 7
3. Free license

Whenever something breaks and I don't feel like trying to fix it.

When I was at school I used to do it every other week. Now that I am an active member of society only when I change SSD

I never reinstall, I just buy new storage hardware and install new OS's

Installed w10 in September 2015, no need to reinstall (and thanks to the 850 evo it's still as fast as day 1).

>OpenSUSE
1 year, going strong

1+ year I meant, havent reinstalled yet.

w10 enterprise for more than a year now and it feels good
Changing dual-boot distros every 3-6 months

My Windows 10 installation worked fine when I swapped motherboard, CPU and RAM.

You could just move your OS to SSD.

Not anymore. Every major release of Windows 10 does it automatically. If you absolutely must do it manually - there is self destruct button now.

Yeah I know but I prefered a fresh install in this case

dis, git gud ppl

No, these people are bad with computers.

>buy w10 pro key online for 20 euros
>key wont activate windows
>do manual phonecall activation with npc thai english speaking woman.
>its works

how do they do it bro's?

Every 6 months.

When the notebook dies and I buy a new one.

This

how do you clean registry? using ccleaner?

Yeah stuff like that, bleachbit I think does some of that too.

maybe once a week

when it breaks

if you ever need to reinstall windows you're technologically illiterate retard and shouldn't be allowed near computers.

holy fuck this.

Every new year

Wow thats a pretty retarded post

Uh the last time I installed the os + applications + drivers was in 2010. Been running smooth ever since.