>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>All AMD chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>GTX 2060 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match; consider 1070/Ti or Vega56 ONLY if on sale
1440p
>GTX 2060; consider 1070/Ti or Vega56 ONLY if on sale
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: 1458838409833.jpg (700x436, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/v7wtyX
aliexpress.com/item/Wholesale-IO1-1-USB-Wired-Gaming-Mouse-With-Retail-Box-USB-Wired-Optical-Microsoft-IntelliMouse-IO/32810478053.html
logitech.com/en-us/product/mouse-m100?crid=7
youtube.com/watch?v=MMJoLyrWa7E
youtu.be/omIO6LYliQ0?t=9m34s
pcpartpicker.com/list/PHfMQZ
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X/2293vs3956
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is it a "good" time to build a new medium PC, price wise?

Give me a reason not to buy this thing

Attached: 2018122010410966_big.png (1000x1000, 329K)

Only if you're choosing an AMD CPU, and AMD Vega 56.
Have I mentioned that amd is what you wanted yet?
Have you accepted AMD into your heart as your next computer hardware choice yet friend?

I have no bad experiences with AMD desu.

Looks nice, Gigabyte boards are top tier right now. Go for it.

Am I even supposed to be tweaking CPU SOC voltage, vcore offset or vcore nb offset in order to get a decent ryzen 5 overclock? All the youtube examples I've seen only show them changing CPU Frequency and CPU voltage. That's all I have done so far, with poor results (3.9) on a 2600.

Literally why even bother?

Attached: QVIkgSz.jpg (1280x720, 70K)

Why do you not recommend a 2070 for 1440p in the general?

>buying AMD anything

Attached: basednvidia.png (1117x580, 942K)

Just bought a new SSD and I don't have more Sata power connecters available. It's safe to use an adapter molex to sata? Or should just buy a new PSU and be safe the sorry?

I dunno, but if I had to guess it's too close to the 1070Ti/2060 for more money. If you really need the extra performance you'd buy a better GPU, if you don't have the money you'd buy a cheaper one. And if you love overclocking, BIOS modifying and literally having an housefire with failed PSUs and thermal performance reminiscent of the legendary GTX480, get a Vega 56.

Not sure about PBO on a non-X processor; but on 2600X and 2700X, there's indeed no reason to bother at all.

jesus christ, i wouldn't buy that thing in an ever. too much plastic covering shit.

Better temperatures maybe?
I assume the auto thing turns the voltages way the fuck up, but maybe voltage offset works to bring that down.

If one wasn't wearing lipstick it would be kind of hard to tell which was the man

Anyone have the MSI X470 Gaming Plus?

Just built a new PC with this motherboard and it just won't work, no leds, no fans, nothing working.
PSU was tested and is working. All parts are new. Resetting the CMOS did nothing.

Could it be the motherboard or the CPU?

I'm looking for the best "bang for your buck" build
I already have a GTX 970 (I bought it when it first came out before we knew the 3.5 meme i'm sorry) but my I5-2500k is starting to shit itself, I've had it for a long time so it's time to replace it
Anyone have any suggestions? I just want to be able to game at 1080p

>Better temperatures maybe?
As you've said, if you didn't buy an MSI board, try to offset voltage to bring temps down; assuming you have a better cooler than the stock one.

Attached: 1547337914930.gif (350x409, 437K)

>tfw bought a 2600x without even having the intention to OC
>CPU auto-OC's itself to 4 GHz even when i'm just on chromium
>the fucking dinky little CPU Cooler that it came with can keep it all nice and relatively cool
what the fuck even is this AMD how did you make such a good stock cooler that it can withstand such an overclock? you go you little shit cooler, until i replace you with some better thing hopefully soon

Reported you to AMD HQ. You're fucking dead kiddo.

Attached: OzQen0d.jpg (552x828, 132K)

Is a 9900K fine with a D15 if just used under stock?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/v7wtyX
I prefer 1TB SSD + 4TB HDD for backups, but you can set up whatever you want.

>implying it's impressive it can handle 4ghz
My i5 boosts to that with a shitty intel stock cooler

Would I be able to do something like this without affecting temperatures much?

I have a small pci-e sound card and would actually like to use it, though the only PCI-e slot available (that's not completely blocked) is so close to the goddamn GPU cooler that it seems like it would block it. It's an open air cooler but I'm not sure.

Attached: 24c294b6_IMG_20121226_093915.jpg (800x600, 411K)

It'll probably have a negative effect. But you'd have to actually do it to test how much of an effect it would have.
God i miss that design of MSI coolers though. I dont think the cooling performance was great but those all shiny metal ones looked dope

Probably gonna explode from all the hot air constantly blown at it

Does the Nvidia Gsync compatible driver unlock their video cards to use adaptive syncing with Freesync monitors? Does this mean there is no longer the added benefit of going with AMD cards just for the Freesync compatibility?

Maybe I'll pass. It's comparing a Xonar DGX (which is already a budget sound card) to an ALC888 integrated sound card, there ain't that horrible a difference.

>3.5 meme
eh?

Same, that's why I got the 1070ti titanium. Closest thing to that design

Are the Ryzen CPU's that good? This does seem a lot more in my price range than Intel builds

3.5 GB VRAM instead of advertised 4GB

Any Intel counterpart is way more expensive, so yes, they're great. Especially if you don't care about getting more than 60FPS and/or if you have multi-threaded workloads.

Is a 2060 a worthwhile upgrade from a 960? Many of my friends are saying otherwise, but heck I don't want to wait another card generation.

yes

Attached: performance-per-dollar_2560-1440.png (500x1010, 52K)

whys my ryzen getting so hot? pc just had a forced shutdown because of it

Because I don't have the x. I apparently need to manually overclock mine to even come close.

The most likely answer is that you fucked up somewhere. Fucked up your cooler/heatsink/fan installation, fucked up your thermal paste application (which is mighty hard to do), fucked up your fans/CPU in software/BIOS, or just by damaging them, plugged the fans in the wrong headers, so on so forth. If it was just shit performance I'd say fair enough, but if you have an housefire on a modern processor you really gotta push it. Or you have an i9 into a MacBook, but then no one can help with that kind of decision...

Maybe it's the thermal paste.

Thank you! looks like I'll go AMD soon then

imgay
img ayyyy
ayyy lmao

When I first installed mine I checked it with speccy and the cpu temps were dangerously high. I quickly found out that it was a reading error and that other software was showing normal temps.

If I estimate my system is going to use 500W at peak power, could I get by with a 550W power supply?

Your friends must hate you then, or are clueless or jellypoors even a 1060 is a good upgrade from 960 at almost 50% more performance. 2060 is another 36% increase compared to a 1060; get better friends and a new gpu.

Attached: 60.png (1079x1170, 356K)

My friends are upset about the 2060 pricing mainly and the 6gb of VRAM. The price hikes from the previous lines have them laughing at nvidia charging $350 for a xx60 card. Meanwhile I see it as basically getting a 1070ti for only $350

Now that the dust has settled, what's the verdict on RTX 2080? I was thinking about upgrading from my 1060 to 2080.

Depends on what monitor you're using m8. If you're just using a 1080p monitor like 95% of Jow Forums, there's no point.

1) I don't know where or what the fuck you estimated to use 500W, because that's huge;
2) No. A power spike and the PSU will send itself into safety, which means your PC will shut down. Your PSU powers all your components, don't skimp on that. The general rule is that your max system wattage should come around 60 percent of your PSU's wattage.

It's mostly that prices are sliding up. You're not getting more perfs for less or equivalent money, which is what you usually what it used to be like. Even though a 2060 is technically cheaper than a 1070Ti, you're not gaining much performance for your money compared to what you could get for $375 a year or two ago. Worse for the high end where the prices basically haven't changed, only the denomination.

I am on a 1080p monitor right now but its 144Hz. I'm probably going to upgrade my entire computer since I have a R5 1600 / GTX 1060 and they can't keep up.

I was on a 60Hz when I built my computer but I've since upgraded to 144hz. I was looking at maybe going 9700K + 2080.

You can't use a 144 Hz monitor if you're getting low framerates? Is that what you're somewhat indirectly saying?

there was already paste on the thing when i unpackaged it so i didn't apply any

>50% more performance.
That's not how percentages work bro.
100 is not 50% larger than 53, it's about 90%

No, but if I have a 144Hz monitor I would like to get 144fps. I don't have an adaptive sync monitor.

I have the money to burn and I sorta regret building a budget build.

any simple but decent mouse for around $30 without the gaming bells? i got a cm spawn a couple of years ago but it weared up pretty soon and now it's shit.
anyone knows if these intellimouse clones are any good? aliexpress.com/item/Wholesale-IO1-1-USB-Wired-Gaming-Mouse-With-Retail-Box-USB-Wired-Optical-Microsoft-IntelliMouse-IO/32810478053.html

logitech.com/en-us/product/mouse-m100?crid=7

Okay, how about this setup:

>Ryzen 7 2700X
>MSI B540 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
>G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4-3000

Now for the GPU I am unsure. I actually wanted to get away from nvidia, right now I am using a R9 390. What price should I get a Vega 56 for? Right now I am finding them for around 330 Euros.
Or should I actually get a 2060? It only has 6GB and the 390 has 8, does that mean it will run worse? Currently I am at 1080p, but I want to have the option to go higher in the future.

Case, PSU, disks and such are to be reused from the current machine.

Im ready bros it comes tomorrow because i paid 13 dollars for shipping and processing. Ventus is the best model

Attached: Screenshot_20190115-103324_Chrome.jpg (1440x1950, 448K)

I may gym

The 2060 is a better performing GPU than the 590 even if it has less vRAM. It's also more expensive. That said...
>but I want to have the option to go higher in the future
>but
Means very little since you'll probably swap the GPU out when you feel the need to, unless the """future""" is literally in a month or two.

Also, I'd pick another board. MSI doesn't do voltage offset, which is required to get the most out of PBO. Watch this video and target a X470 mobo instead since you're choosing to get a 2700X.
>youtube.com/watch?v=MMJoLyrWa7E

Can I use butter as a thermal compound?

How well do AMD CPU's compare against Intel when emulating?
Mostly want pcsx2

960 was always a dogshit card. Im uograding my 970 to the 2060

>pcsx2
Makes no difference on that one unless you have something really old and shit at the same time. CEMU does better on Intel+NVidia, the PS3 emulator is more balanced since it supports Vulkan (or at least tries to).

interesting, I always thought the CPU was a major bottleneck in that emulator

We're talking about PS2 emulation 2bh, it's almost 20 years old (released in March 2000). Unless you have something really shitty it's fine. But you can always research some more.

You could just buy an external DAC like every other sane human being.

I can't decide between 2700X and 9700K. Which one is more "future proof"? Gaming use and I have 1080p. Maybe I'll upgrade to 1440p later on.

I just upgraded my trash i7 4790 and GTX 970 to Ryzen 5 2600X and Vega 56.

How am i doing anons?

>Ryzen
>Vega
lol

okay jew

I am a gym

Ryzen sucks at games and 9700k is top teir at games so yeah

>vega56
>"upgrading" from a i7 4790 to a 2600x
You got memed, badly

Attached: ching_chong.jpg (271x400, 21K)

I literally cannot wait to buy an XB271HU.

I'm planning on buying a Dell Optiplex with an I5 3570, 8gb of ram and 500GB SSHD for 150€.
If I'm lucky, I could bring the price down to 140-130€.
I'm also planning on buying an rx 570 for 160€ and get a standard 24" 1080p IPS monitor for 120-130€.
Will this be a good setup for casual gaming and web browsing? Will it do fine with running VMs and messing around in Linux?

Attached: optiplex.jpg (450x360, 15K)

>Will this be a good setup for casual gaming and web browsing?
Would be okay.
>Will it do fine with running VMs and messing around in Linux?
>4C/4T
>8GB RAM
Jej no.

>Which one is more "future proof"?
I wish I could smack you on the back of the head with that comment.

Attached: I'll show you freedom.png (600x600, 219K)

You'd need to replace the PSU for that, also lots of old OEM machines have problem with newer AMD cards.
youtu.be/omIO6LYliQ0?t=9m34s

is it yet worth to ditch a r9 390?
want to get rid of it because damaged fan and a lot of heat in the summer
whats the upgrade path?

>is it yet worth to ditch a r9 390?
If it's dead, it's dead.
>whats the upgrade path?
What definition and what framerate are you targeting?

i'm measuring it with ryzen's overclock utility, its hitting 94 degrees Celsius at 60% usage, and i notice the temperature just keeps going up

Is it a good idea to pay 30 more bucks for Vega 56 Sapphire Pulse instead of a Gigabyte one?

Why? I just want to know which one will (probably) be better a few years from now. I keep hearing that with the next gen consoles coming games will start utilizing more cores. If thats true the 2700X will be worse now but better later.

>dead
not dead but the fan bearing is driving me crazy
Im targeting 60fps on 2550x1440 but most likely down sampling

Alright. A PSU replacement will likely cost me 50€, give or take a few Eurobucks. (520W Non-modular seasonic PSU) I had the modular version and it was pretty good.
The seller mentioned that the PC is 4 to 5 years old, so I'm still debating whether or not to swap the PSU.
>>Will it do fine with running VMs and messing around in Linux?
>Jej no.
Ok, no biggie. I can use my main PC for that.

Attached: 1537621864402.jpg (1600x1452, 150K)

It's not about the age of the PSU, those OEMs always have some shitty 250w-300w PSU without PCIe connectors. You absolutely need a better PSU for that.

>Why?
Your hardware is obsolete the moment you buy it. There always be something better, and therefore nothing is "future proof". Not the 2700X, not the 9700K, nothing. You buy what you need right now, not in "a few years". Future proofing is a meme you shouldn't buy into, it means absolutely nothing.
>I keep hearing that with the next gen consoles coming games will start utilizing more cores.
1) There's no way to know what they WILL use;
2) They already do use loads of cores right now.

Be careful to see if it doesn't use a proprietary PSU design or shit like that. Too often the case with such machines.

GTX 2060 will give you native 1440p 60FPS.

Hey y'all. Lifelong Macfag here about to convert because of reasons (like my few-years-old iMac dying a couple days ago).

Money is relatively tight at the moment (USD), I'd like to get out for around $500 if at all possible (if not, I'll just have to save up). I don't game, but I do need something to run Adobe CC programs. I do graphic design and some video/audio editing (nothing beyond 1080p video).

As far as parts, I have 16GB (4x4GB) of 1333 DDR3 I can salvage from my Mac, if that's even good enough to use nowadays. I also have another very outdated iMac that's too old to work on, but that I might be able to use as a monitor (not sure yet, still doing research).

Here's my initial attempt at a parts list. pcpartpicker.com/list/PHfMQZ
There are some things I'm not clear on, like if I still need to add a sound card, network adapter for WiFi, and video card. Or how to pick a power supply.

Am I heading in the right direction or do I need to back off and learn some more before jumping into this?

Attached: DvkGtl-W0AA1e-x.jpg (360x358, 20K)

>shitty locked 4 pozzed cores
Take a hike

Anyone with an EVGA GTX 1060 SC want to comment on the fan noise? Putting together a mini-itx build soon so would like a small form factor but the reviews are inconclusive. Some say it's really quiet and others say its loud. I think there was a firmware update at some point as well which confuses things further.

Attached: 06G-P4-6163-KR_XL_4.jpg (1200x1200, 129K)

>native 1440p 60FPS
barely does that with currently released games. I wouldn't expect that to remain true with future titles coming out within the year.

If thata what helps you sleep at night because ifs not going to perform much better

>$500
DDR3 won't work with Ryzen, get a sandy bridge 2600k build for cheap, the threads will come in handy for video/audio editing

Here's your favorite intel benchmark
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X/2293vs3956

with that cringey red GAYmer stand and the edgy predator logo plastered on the front?
>underage with shit taste detected.
Even I didn't have such shit taste when I was 14.

Youre telling me you think this 20% increase was worth paying for a new cpu mobo and switching to ddr4 ram?

Attached: 8EDA8CB42C2C46D3A1C5C8411CFF7A2F.jpg (750x737, 521K)

I'm not him, but it's a minor improvement I guess? I think 4790 is still pretty good desu but grats on new system, ddr4 is nice