/wdg/ - Web Development General

What's everyone working on?

Previous thread: >COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

>Learn anything not covered by the above tutorials
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: wdg_dobson_imagine_computers_.jpg (391x311, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0
npmjs.com/package/express-cart
github.com/azjezz/typed
secure.php.net/manual/en/ref.password.php
bitpatron.io
wiki.php.net/rfc/covariant-returns-and-contravariant-parameters
shopify.com/shipping
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

CSS native grid is fucking magic

Attached: grid.png (534x201, 15K)

bro, what should I put on my github pages other than contact, CV, and my links? is single page enough?

bump

>start a business
>think up a name for a website
>offer the domain squatter 500 dollar (willing to go to 2000)
>he declines because he wants to see at least 35000 dollars
>just register a new domain instead
>3 years later
>see the domain being auctioned for 90 dollars
What an asshole.

you know what, fuck it. I might make a cart. I don't even know where to begin though. Do i just need to collect this information via email, then ship the shit out myself? Do I need to configure a fucking database, and perhaps store the orders on a page only I can see?

>What's everyone working on?
Replacing Bulma with my own CSS in my project.
It's not that Bulma or any CSS frameworks are bad, they are actually really convenient and I would use them again, if I wanted to quickly style some simpler or smaller UI.
At times it simply felt more complicated to try and customize framework rules or to mix framework and custom rules, than to just write the styles for a component from scratch.
Also seems like a nice exercise to write rules for breakpoints and other things and test my new SCSS knowledge.

the 'webdev in 2018' video can also be updated with the 2019 version
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>start simple site
>buy domain from godaddy at $1 for the year
>year ends
>"renew your domain for only $70"
>site was nothing special
>fuck that shit

If you want to focus on the business and selling/shipping your products, then you probably don't also want to make a whole site with cart, shopping backend and payment processing from scratch.
Pick one of the existing shopping frameworks or maybe even one of those website builders, that are shilled in every YT video.

Any love for UIKIT? Been using for a few years now.

which TLD?
Are you the official owner or is godaddy?

Anyway you should switch to another registrar.
Having the first year discounted to ultra low prices and then go back to the normal one isn't uncommon though for the more expensive or vanity TLDs.

Well, this project started out as just a portfolio piece, I wasn't planning on selling anything. I loved the design/functionality of the site so damn much, though, I knew there was something more to be done. It's a nodejs website with handlebars template engine. The business side isn't my main concern, it'd be nice to make a few bucks, but I really just wanted to show my skills in another project.
I think I'm going to experiment with this npmjs.com/package/express-cart

I just registered a three letter .one a while ago. Which is pretty neat. And cheap. And most signup forms accept three letter extensions, so you can just sign up on websites as if it were a .com.

MVC.NET Core Question:

I have a standalone page. Can I load that directly from within the MVC.NET Core framework or do I have to parcel up the script section into layout.cshtml, etc?

In other words, can I avoid having to use Razor pages if I want?

Been thingken of self-hosting my SCM for personal use, and possibly opening it later to a team I may assemble. After looking into it, it seems Rhodecode, Upsorce, Youtrack and Teamcity (plus the Hub software which integrates the latter 3) seems breddy gud. I'm not even sure Rhodecode is needed, because Upsource's devs don't clarify if it includes a repo server.

Any suggestions, observations, personal experiences?

Attached: Dv9-DQBW0AEoCMu.jpg orig.jpg (480x480, 57K)

Also, I'm not going to publish this for perhaps a few months. I still need to actually purchase the items, and get a decent stock. Plus, the worst fucking part, I need to make this shit responsive, which I absolutely hate.

if i steal the design of a website( just colors/navbar) but not the actual code is that violating any laws?

Yes.

As an intern I feel like I've capped the salary I get by knowing X amount of frameworks/languages. Is this the moment people start branching out, or am I simply not looking enough?

>SCSS
what do you use it for in particular?

I keep my git remote on a usb stick
Until you have a team, you're over thinking this

i've spent all day trying to get mysql working and getting my data into it. what a nightmare.

so how do i incorporate an old page into the mvc.net core framework?

disregard.

something like this:

@section MyUniquePageScripts {

}

and then include
@RenderSection("CalendarScripts", false)

in your layout.cshtml file

Why would anyone use React to build a website when handlebars and other templating engines exists?

Nesting is just so convenient and makes for good readability.
But mixins and variables are also extremely useful.
There is a lot more you can do with other directives, like @each, but even the simple basics are a very useful improvement imo.
Those 2 aren't really in the same category. Server-side rendering is only part of what you can do with React (Next.js).
You use an SPA framework like React or others, if you want reactive UI re-rendering, that depend on client-side state.

Attached: n.png (460x533, 44K)

ah, didn't actually want to attach that image. Probably not the best example, since &_col doesn't have its own rules, except what's nested inside, but you get what I mean.

The founder of a very large website that is a competitor of mine is trying to set a meeting with me. They are heavily funded and I am not funded at all. They outdo my traffic by about 100x.

I think they might be wanting to buy or hire me.

Should I set exact times or say I'm free all day Sunday and like anytime after 6 monday through friday?

The idea is to keep everything tidy from the start, so I wouldn't have to bother "migrating" or "porting" later on, since these things tend to be big headaches.

She wants to fuck.

No mention of Typescript in thread.
Learn Javascript, not Typescript?

How retarded are you people. Fucking front end developers, the lowest of the low. Monkey coders with no brain. Repulsive

oh and PLEASE STOP MAKING EVERY PAGE HAVE 423289MB OF JS ON IT PLS. WE DIDNT NEED THAT SHIT IN EARLY 2000s or before, shit sucks on mobile if you dont have a good connection.

pick something that shows you have a schedule, while still giving them good options to choose from.
>weekday x or y would work best for me, ideally somewhere around x pm / afternoon / etc, but I can rearrange my schedule if you are only available at different times

oh my god, you americans don't know how to do business.

How did she make the call and to whom and specifics. If she were talking to a secretary in a professional manner, you set a date and time in the future so she can accommodate. If she was seeking you out, it is more urgent so then you can say between X and Y on day Z.

How can you not respond to a fucking request for a meeting and be an adult? I can only imagine any sort of 'negotiations'. Spaghetti everywhere.

>rich guy here, last big thing I did was take a part of a conquered city so I'd get in on dat billions and billions being spent to rebuild it. Try doing business where its a conquered city needing rebuilding. secret police are so fun to deal with!

>No mention of Typescript in thread.
>Learn Javascript, not Typescript?
What do you think you learn before Typescript?

Attached: 1518546279432.jpg (796x596, 38K)

Too weak and approach. Too many options they know you're putting on a show. SHE CALLED HIM not the other way around. She accommodates his schedule not his of hers.

You say the time, date, location or give her a range of time on day X 'later this week' or the next whatever. One or the other.

Fucking Americans.

>needing to know babby javasript before learning the generalized form of babby javascript?

I assume you had to crawl before you walked unlike the masterrace.

>secret police are so fun to deal with!
what did he mean by this?

what's so good about typescript?

It's javascript but readable.

let's say i want to handwrite fonts and use them instead of text for certain parts of my website. what's my go-to format? Png? that's what i would go with and i guess it would work especially because of the transparency but i'm just wondering if there's a different approach

What's that include statement do? I didn't know you could combine grid heights and widths into the template areas line, neat

You can create a font, a bit hardcore tbqh, I'd use pngs.

2/10 try harder next time

Anyone want to become business partners? This is a brilliant idea, and will surely, absolutely, make us some money. The site is beautiful. The product is cheap as fuck to buy, and the returns are great. The only problem I have is I'm broke as fuck. Need domain name, hosting, and the product. Throw some money at it, write some CSS, or whatever, and you're now a cofounder.
I don't want to go too deep in the details, but $100 will fetch us $2500, if all product is sold, which I'm willing to bet majority of it will go. I have an idea for another product as well, but that's after the first is bringing in income.

Nobody will probably be interested. In that case, do you have any ideas of how to get funds?

cheers user

>how can I create a website that doesn't use HTML at all guise?
whew

Business angels, government funding for start ups. Both are a thing here in Spain at least. You need a business plan, a god-tier pitch and ideally an already working business/product.

>The only problem I have is I'm broke as fuck. Need domain name, hosting, and the product.
You can get both for cents a day on Namecheap.

I'll be waiting for my 20% check.

PHP 7.4 is coming soon ( any by that i mean end of the year )
new features in PHP 7.4 :
- Typed Properties ( and variables apparently github.com/azjezz/typed ???? )
- FFI
- Covariant Returns and Contravariant Parameters ( not accepted yet - probably gonna make it )
- Spread Operator in Array Expression ( not accepted yet - probably gonna make it )
- Fiber ( not accepted yet - this is probably going into 8.0 not 7.4 )
- Namespace Visiblity for Class, Interface and Trait ( not accepted yet - i think it won't make it into 7.4, but 8.0 instead )
- Immutable classes and properties ( same as above )
- better performance

-----

password API : secure.php.net/manual/en/ref.password.php
no
reminder that i have never worked with wordpress my whole life
>- PHP is not designed to have long-living processes, every request starts with a "clean slate". This means there was not really an incentive to optimize for memory.
no, php can do long-live processes, if you wanna use a PHP Server, the same way you do with GO, Node etc. you can
just look up Swoole, ReactPHP, Amp etc ...
zend expressive
why the fuck would you use PHP 5 ?
tell him he's not getting any security updates UWU
from now on ( PHP 7.3 ), its `array_key_exists($_SESSION, 'userid')`, its time to kill isset

I don't think it's going to make anyone rich. It's not a startup like that. Just a small business.
I know. I'll probably host for free on heroku.

why isn't Jow Forums catalog updating in real time?

would that be too expensive on the server (always pooling) ?

Attached: 1547659645429s.jpg (250x166, 3K)

Still here for that css reader

Could you explain in a more detailed way? Can't MY server fetch it?

>the 'webdev in 2018' video can also be updated with the 2019 version
Damn, lol, I didn't realize he actually had a new version ready before the new year started. I'll add it.

That's actually a good idea, it'd be a bit too chaotic to see the blocks moving in real time though. We should do it though.

>it'd be a bit too chaotic to see the blocks moving in real time though
yeah imagine Jow Forums on the day of the election

but hiro changed the threads JSON update time to save costs so i don't think it would happen here.

>Can't MY server fetch it?
Yeah, your server can fetch it. But do you have a server set up? That user mentioned that you need a server because you can't fetch it directly from the browser because of same-origin policy.

pretty much
if you get so many requests per second, then it only makes sense to cache the generated catalog for a little while.

>but hiro changed the threads JSON update time
it's not updating as the seconds claim, right? I can see why he'd do it, but that's low at least tweak the second counter so it's real time.

> so i don't think it would happen here
we can do it ourselves, right?

>it's not updating as the seconds claim, right?
yeah see webm related

>we can do it ourselves, right?
probably

Attached: 1547416073589.webm (804x540, 2.43M)

it should work like React diff algorithm desu

If you just want to serve a static document you can return a FileResult from your controller.

Working on custom GraphQL endpoints on Magento2 for a client... Building a PWA

if you don't mind saas just go shopify. otherwise there's plenty of e-commerce frameworks. magento (php), woocommerce (php), spree (ruby), saleor (python), etc.

gitlab

depends on the country you're in.

I've been in the industry for 10+ years and to be honest finding a niche is more beneficial than knowing a lot of things.

domain+hosting is literally like 10$/month.

typed properties going to be amazing bro.

>for a client
how does freelance really work?
>hey user write me a "custom GraphQL endpoints on Magento2 "
?

MySQL is so fucking slow on localhost, seriously am I doing something wrong with the config files or what
[mysqld]
bind-address = 127.0.0.1
port = 3306
pid-file = mysqld.pid

default_authentication_plugin = mysql_native_password
default-password-lifetime = 0
default-storage-engine = InnoDB
default-time-zone = '+00:00'
character-set-server = UTF8MB4
collation-server = utf8mb4_unicode_ci
connect_timeout = 10
wait_timeout = 7200
local-infile = 0

log-queries-not-using-indexes = 1
slow-query-log = 1
log_bin = no

max-allowed-packet = 200M
max-connect-errors = 1000000
sysdate-is-now = 1

key-buffer-size = 32M
myisam-recover-options = FORCE,BACKUP
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 64M

innodb_file_per_table = 1
innodb-log-files-in-group = 2
innodb-log-file-size = 128M
innodb-flush-log-at-trx-commit = 1
innodb-file-per-table = 1
innodb-buffer-pool-size = 800M
innodb_buffer_pool_instances = 8
innodb_lock_wait_timeout = 50
innodb_thread_concurrency = 4
innodb_log_buffer_size = 8M

you can nonstop query the API, but that's not really a nice thing to do.
Would still be pretty expensive for the server, if you were to throw out the cached response on any post update.

Working on a Patreon alternative powered by Bitcoin.

bitpatron.io

Attached: satoj.jpg (564x846, 72K)

>domain+hosting is literally like 10$/month.
I know, I'm not really concerned about that. I'm concerned about the product, which will need like $100 at most. I'm poor.

I'm currently just contracting for an agency. I don't particularly talk to this client that much, spec is already written.

>the product

what is it?

If you make it right you're rich, every alternative movement that has been deplataformed will migrate to you. You probably need to bullet proof your security since you WILL be the victim of several attacks. Try to not jew your users too much and rely on donations.

I don't want to say here. Very easy to steal. But they'd be about $0.99/piece. Box of 500 costs $20.

lmao dude nobody on Jow Forums is going to steal your idea

it's probably not even that unique anyway

My boss asked me to do a landing page for some government testing for a job that's gonna happen.
I was able to do it no prob, but my boss said that the absolute brainlets who are registering for this test forget the second step of the registration (which makes their whole registration void).
What's an user-friendly way to remind them to do the second part? I can link both parts from the website but I need some some way to, when the user clicks the link to the first part, somehow he gets reminded to do the second one

not him, but how do these business with shopify work?

e.g. you sells shoes in your website and you have a stock of 100 shoes.

where do you store the? at home? in a warehouse?
when someone orders a pair, you receive an email with the order, go to the site where you have them and ship them to the address in the mail?

Attached: 1547656323309s.jpg (187x250, 3K)

visual aids

Attached: multi-step-form.png (851x434, 5K)

PHP
Say you have an interface with a method that type hints a super class
then you have a class that implements that interface but wants to use subclasses instead
how does one handle this? I can't type hint the subclass because PHP will bitch. I can't use subclass methods because PHP will bitch that the type hint is super class and that method doesn't exist.

>the current state of Jow Forums

I'm too brainlet for this so i have an idea for one of you fags to become famous:
a site or tool which tells people how to make their site responsive. e.g. upload html, some code runs, notices shit that needs media queries, etc. and produces the needed media queries. sounds very challenging, only something a l33t neckbeard could create

no bulli pls

I ain't doing the forms, I'm just doing a landing page and redirecting people to the government site with the forms

>upload html
>produces the needed media queries
It's a manual process. You don't just include some random media queries.
You need to decide which content should be displayed and how elements should be arranged on certain widths.
Then how is that your responsibility, that some gov webdev didn't include proper UI clues, that a form field is invalid?

no shit, they wont be random. code will check uploaded site from multiple displays, if anything is off, it will recommend changes

well it aiin't the first time the government is useless at doing it's job

might as well just resize your browser or actually use the built in feature in the devtools and see how things look

Attached: fd8sn90a.png (566x823, 91K)

dude, do you not understand? it would not only check but give you the css to make it responsive fuck

yeah ok I get it,
you mean it checks if anything overflows the viewport or gets too small to interact with and then produces CSS to stack the elements vertically?
It will put everything on the screen, but it won't be nice to look at or necessarily make the site easier to use on those widths.

>gitlab
Everyone says it's a massive RAM hog.

I suggest you adopt a visual design that sets it apart rom Patreon. The most common mistake that would-be Twitter, Reddit etc. competitors make is to make the site looking fucking identical under the assumption that familiarity will attract users, when in fact it just screams of "knock-off", even when they have extra features.

if you want to type hint a sub-class in the return type, that's WILL be possible, if you want to type hint a sub-class in the parameter, NO and you don't understand what an interface is.

if you have an interface "Bar" with public method "foo(A $a): B", the implementation should be able to take any implementation of "A" and return any implementation of "B", if you want to return a sub-class of "B", that's okay, but if you want to take a sub-class of "A" as parameter, that you are not really implementation that interface anymore, another class can have a method that goes something like this "bar(Bar $bar): void", that class knows that the parameter $bar is "Bar", and that it have a method called "foo" that takes an A implementation as an argument and it should be able to pass any implementation of "A", not just a specific sub-class.

now, back to the return type, returning a sub-class should be allowed, but you won't be able to do it now, but you will in PHP 7.4.x

see this RFC for more information : wiki.php.net/rfc/covariant-returns-and-contravariant-parameters

just have a listener redirect the user to another landing page reminding them of whatever it is they need to do (when form is submitted)?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good graphing library I can use in my front-end JS?

I just want to make some simple bar graphs, pie charts, line graphs maybe

Also compatible with React and less than 2kb gzipped.

From what I understand, the main thing that Shopify gives you is a storefront and payment processing. Then they give you a list of orders and you can ship things out yourself. Or, you can choose to use their shipping options, which is already integrated with their platform, and apparently has discounts for various shipping methods:
shopify.com/shipping

There are also some third party options that apparently integrate with Shopify, but I'm not sure what the advantages of those are over Shopify's default.

i see, but if people make an order, you receive the money immediately in your account without shipping the product????

only then you have to go to the postal service to send the product.

don't really know how this things works desu

>i see, but if people make an order, you receive the money immediately in your account without shipping the product????
I mean I assume so, I haven't used Shopify myself so I don't know for sure.

Shopify is mainly just a software platform. They're not providing any extra level of trust for the consumer; shoppers have to do their own homework and make sure the store is legit before making an order, just like any other online store.

On the seller end, if you fail to send out a product that someone ordered, they might leave you a bad review or something.

Is it possible to upload a wordpress website as a subsite of a non-wrodpress one?
Something like www.fuckwordpress.com being made by actual developers, and www.fuckwordpress.com/imgay being a wordpress website

Is there a way to do a case insensitive search in mongoDB? I've tried googling but couldn't get a straight answer.

Attached: lamer.jpg (600x459, 29K)

perhaps you need to use a subdomain for this.

i.e imgay.fuckwordpress.com

(Sorry, you can then point the subdomain to a wordpress site)

Yes you can do that. Search on hosting wordpress in a subdirectory.

drop the wordpress files into the imgay folder?