Debian can't handle the D

lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2019-January/041971.html

Attached: debian-systemd.jpg (718x479, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11436#issuecomment-454544525
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=907199#47
wiki.voidlinux.org/Runit
devuan.org/os/debian-fork/ascii-stable-announce-060818
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2019-January/041971.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol_of_Chaos
pkgmaster.devuan.org/bannedpackages.txt
packages.debian.org/stretch/plymouth
openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2019/01/09/3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Will stop maintaining systemd in debian for a while.
>What's going on is just too stupid/crazy.

Can I get a quick rundown?

does this mean that debian will finally take the step away from systemd?

Attached: 1512387449492.png (697x659, 386K)

If that's the case, I'll be happy. Hopefully such a change travels down to Ubuntu as well.

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11436#issuecomment-454544525

Honestly It just seems like the Debian maintainer finally lost it regarding systemd dismissive behavior and breaking of shit.

Obviously Debian will not retool, but get someone else to maintain systemd.

Openrc or runnit on debian would be based

this, please

>the absolute state of debian cucks

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=907199#47

this. systemd is huge.

System d is complete shit, and maintainer does not want to patch all the problems.

>Obviously Debian will not retool, but get someone else to maintain systemd.
And they do it for free!

Everyone start learning runit. It's easy! ^.^
wiki.voidlinux.org/Runit

Debian nowadays is an absolute shit distro and but a shadow of its former self. Anyone who denies this is delusional and merely arguing from emotional attachment.
No matter your use case, if you want to set up a GNU/Linux system, there are much better alternatives.
If this issue encourages Debian to move away from systemd, it might become worth considering again, but as of now, it's useless.

>No matter your use case, if you want to set up a GNU/Linux system, there are much better alternatives.
Such as?

Come home white man
devuan.org/os/debian-fork/ascii-stable-announce-060818

The white man uses OpenRC
Only furries touch Void

Attached: centos-logo.png (1000x1000, 31K)

>devuan
This shit is months out of date. Unless they fix that, it's not a serious suggestion.

HERESY

>months out of date
>out of date
>debian
I'm sorry, what?

>reading is hard
What are illiterate people doing on Jow Forums

>a system based on a system with packages from the paleolithic period
>up to date
I'm sorry, what?

Not latest doesn't mean outdated, especially given that everything on Debian just werks.

On the other hand, devuan was last updated forever ago.

Debian btfo

Attached: pepe_memed.jpg (803x688, 141K)

this
wow what a retard.
Systemd isn't even the biggest problem, now devuan is out of date for security upgrades that misses the whole fucking point of avoiding systemd: not having vulnerabilities every week, now they pile up on that piece of shit fork like mint.
HOW CAN YOU BE SO STUPID, THE ONLY REASON TO NOT USE SYSTEMD IS SECURITY YET YOU STAY OUT OF DATE ON SECURITY UPDATES FUCKKKK WHAT STUPID RETARD NIGGERS USE THAT DISTRO, THERE'S SLACKWARE AND GENTOO AND YES THEY ARE SHIT BUT IT'S BETTER THAN TAKING SOMETHING WITH SYSTEMD AND REMOVING IT AND CALL IT A DISTRO. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
NIGGEEEEEEEERS STOP USING FUCKING STUPID NO PURPOSE FORKSSS DAMNNN AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: signal-2019-01-07-144749.jpg (1920x1080, 109K)

Poettering shifted from denying any problems exist within systemd to blaming the language its written in after the most recent high-profile systemd bug.

Need a better desktop for modern hardware? Fedora or Ubuntu. Need long term support? CentOS. Better memes? Gentoo, OpenPEPE, ...

Debian is good for 32-bit laptops, Raspberry Pi, and not a lot else. Their outdated release model precludes them from being useful in desktops or servers, and their perennial cucking to RedHat has driven all the system software developers to RedHat or something not Debian.

> Fedora
No.
>Ubuntu
Only LTS matters, but I prefer original.

Well, given that final freeze for Buster is in March, somebody has to step in.

Everything that comes from Fedora developers is shitting and brutally fuckin the entire gnu philosophy. And I'm not saying that is bad or the gnu philosophy is the best thing in the universe and should be followed without any questioning, I'm saying it will never work to be against it in this case, because they are literally destroying the foundations on which the entire system is built.
Gnome - bloatware bullshit that is literally an OS inside the OS.
SystemD - literally an OS inside the OS
Wayland - Create it, make a fuss, then freeze development or keep developing it at snails pace.
This is not a model that can't work, it's a model that is too complicated and centralized to work into such open source projects.

you should be using devuan

>lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2019-January/041971.html

Attached: 1355446913547.jpg (682x600, 225K)

I just realised the CentOS logo is the Symbol Of Chaos.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol_of_Chaos

we tried to warn you
why didn't you listen?

Attached: devuan.png (1000x200, 13K)

Devuan packages are way too old.

The absolute apathy.
How do I short sell Debian?

Not him but Devuan works, and the packages are getting updated more and more.

Debian also works, but I'm not a package maintainer and I don't have to deal with systemd. So why should I use Devuan? It's pretty much the "hate poettering reee" distro.

>Please don't post offtopic comments.
>
>(This is making rounds elsewhere, locking this for now might be best).

Systemd rocks \m/

Oh, so you are not skeptic of Devuan but defending systemd, got it.

Attached: 3tpsma.jpg (296x310, 32K)

Where is the service supervision? Where's the socket activation? Where are the stacked runlevels? Where is dynamic dependency handling including correct handling of optional dependencies?

Install Gentoo with systemd

runit it's ridiculously superior to systemd/openrc/sysv for desktop machines

I'm not defending systemd since I don't know how to use it. All I do with it is bringing services up and down, that's all I know. What I meant is that most of the work is handled by the devs and the package maintainer, which I do neither of those.

Devuan literally just copied everything (with the exception of a dozen packages that rely too much on systemd) from Debian, nowadays they're just a few months behind on release schedule
Pretty much anything that isn't extremely dependent on systemd gets update at the same time as Debian, I got the 4.19 backported kernel on December 30 just like Debian did, since the kernel doesn't need any changes just like most packages do

>now devuan is out of date for security upgrades
[citation needed]

>THE ONLY REASON TO NOT USE SYSTEMD IS SECURITY
There's plenty of other reasons, you're a retard

Attached: 1547611113743.png (129x131, 3K)

Is he a Rust shitter now?
Is it time?
Is he going to rewrite the kernel in Rust?

This.
I don't recommend Fedora, Ubuntu's more stable and so much easier to use

Attached: 1531791664491.png (1000x1000, 77K)

>Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Attached: 5bd8ed59e796b5.06262580.png (429x730, 64K)

Not even close, PulseAudio comes ootb, the only freedesktop malware they truly avoid it's systemd as init, they even keep libsystemd in their DE ootb
Refracta and antiX are the only truly fuck lennart debian-like distros, everyone else won't try to build something based on Debian or will just avoid Linux altogether
[citation needed]
Or are you spouting year old FUD?

Sounds pretty based to me.

Pretty much all major distros started using systemd (normal people won't use gentoo/devuan/void anytime soon regardless of systemd drama). So if anything it would make sense to praise debian for being the first major distro to acknowledge that systemd is an issue.

I think he is passive aggressively mocking pottering by that statement

Is this the reason for the last days of Ian Murdock?

Good god I hope they drop that trash.

We can only hope.

>Hopefully such a change travels down to Ubuntu as well.
It won't. Gnome 3 and Plymouth both depend on systemd. So if Ubuntu gets rid of systemd then there goes their entire GUI. Debian does have Gnome and Plymouth in the repos but they could just remove them, since there are plenty of other desktops like MATE, KDE, or XFCE that don't depend on systemd. Debian live CDs already come with XFCE, so they could easily keep their existing defaults.

Attached: hot_pocket_jpeg_artifacts.png (3060x3060, 3.86M)

debian is shit anyway literally who cares

Attached: 9a6.php.jpg (398x500, 23K)

+2

Jesus fucking christ ... the few sane people in that thread mocking the whole process and (correctly) arguing that the correct response to the objection is to laugh at it then ignore it were completely brushed off with nary a response.

Common sense is dead.

Shittering learned from Drumpfuck.
Drumpfuck learned from Goebbels.

See a pattern?

Attached: IMG_20171222_220156.jpg (266x189, 17K)

Attached: 268723038020211.png (611x461, 477K)

>Where is the service supervision?
It's in the runit directory.

>Where's the socket activation?
Runit is parallel but you're right that it's not technically socket activation. This is a systemd-only thing.

>Where are the stacked runlevels?
That only makes sense on openrc and sysvinit. You can create an infinite amount of runlevels on runit, so there's no need for that hack

>Where is dynamic dependency handling including correct handling of optional dependencies?
You'll have to clarify what exactly you mean by this one.

based Juan

A more stable Devuan would be pretty good. Maybe they can join forces idk

>plymouth depends on systemd
Werks on Gentoo with OpenRC

Hmmm...

pkgmaster.devuan.org/bannedpackages.txt
packages.debian.org/stretch/plymouth

>falling for the partisan politics meme
How is it that you retards can turn any conceivable fucking topic into a anti-Trump circle jerk?
It's bordering on obsessive at this point. Hilary has actually been caught with real fucking evidence (not assumptions and disproven bullshit) with the email server and Uranium one and fucking over bernie with the rest of the DNC.
Get a hobby or jerk off or something, this shit got old a long time ago.
>Trump fixed the election
Uh no the DNC did and there's actual proof
>muh russia
Tfw hillary sent them uranium, and that her email server was cracked leaking the classified shit she wasn't supposed to have on there.
You retards need to go have your circle jerk on reddit or leftypol where you belong
Newsflash cheese dick all politicians are two faced lying assholes. Partisan politics is literally selective ignorance.

Attached: 1539228123437.jpg.png (882x1025, 246K)

I'd love to use runit or s6 on arch without having to patch everything myself

Attached: debate.webm (1280x720, 2.85M)

The reason for that is very simple: Debian builds plymouth with systemd support as ystemd is their default init. Devuan is a meme distro, which means they don't build their own packages, but instead take them from Debian. Anyone who thinks Devuan is truly systemd-free is dumb.

Explain and defend.

Lol

Last high profile bug? Which one was that? I stopped keeping count

systemd is EEE but for redhat

>uranium one
just lol

Systemd was made for the enterprise realm, where shit actually matters. Unlike you autists sitting in your basements surrounded by bottles of cum and piss, shit in the real world needs to get done. That's where systemd comes in and you gtfo. No one cares if you spergs want to fork distros to be classic snobs about Unix philosophy. Systemd is here to stay, period. It isn't perfect, but it's a rather decent solution for real shit.

Attached: smug_dog.jpg (331x444, 23K)

>anti-harassment team
These s*y-drinking autists really worm their way into anything they can find.

>Earlier, when asked to do bugfix only release, Lennart describes that the project is understaffed, and hence if people ask them to refocus things, they instead leave "exotic archs, non-redhat distros, exotic desktops, exotic libcs" up to the community to maintain.

Kek, and that's why I switched to AppleBSD.

>using the name of the interface to match a rule that changes the name
the debian maintainers should've known better than that.

Maybe he shouldn't have tried to swallow whole linux userspace then.

"Enterprise realm" here. systemd is one of the worst things to ever happen to linux distros. And yes, I'm forced to use it. I can't just go and switch 70+ servers to gentoo, now, can I?

just post that webm on r/linuxmasterrace already.

>bug fixing is an exotic feature
What did he mean by this?

based lesbian distro

you should be using gentoo

What bugs? Those are design features.

expect his accidental death in no time now.

>The white man uses OpenRC
It's shit. Runit is faster, better and easier.

I don't understand Ubuntu's attachment to GNOME. Personally I think KDE should be the standard DE for all normans to be using out of the box. GNOME is too fucking annoying and needs customization while KDE functions just like the DE of Windows and Mac, which most of the world has used for many years.

Based and juanpilled

I guess it's this:
openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2019/01/09/3

Let's hope so.
Systemd by default was the worst decision in Debian's history.

>systemd hit by feature creep
Well, it was about time. Unix philosophy and modular programming will prevail once again.

OwO
What seems to be the problem?
*listen carefully*
It doen's seem to be a problem systemd devs have ever encountered so a real issue (besides no one of us test it). So won't fix. Issue closed.

Attached: Lennart_poettering_foss.in_2007.jpg (500x333, 39K)

KDE needs more customisation than gnome imo. You will just get tired of making it look not like a chinese ripoff of windows. Gnome is just fine ootb.

It's attached to gnome because gnome is trying to be "mobile friendly". Ubuntu also tried to do the same, but failed.
It would be a pain in the ass to switch and they are still scarred by the switch to Unity and it's fallout.

Not him, but do your own research brainlet. So glad void doesn't have to worry about any of the above.

The finest then is GNOME 2 / MATE. It's incredible how it does the job well yet with more possibilities of customization than GNOME 3.