bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=regression
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11436#issuecomment-454546312
github.com/OpenRC/openrc/blob/master/src/rc/openrc-init.c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nvm i figured it out

Thanks reddit

>Security holes found in software
>"Right lads, I'm off, it's getting a bit much for me"
Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from earth?

Damn OP, at least post a link
Eitherway, that's it, I'm switching, bye bye Plebian o/

PM’d you the solution ;)

>Why is it that all instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from earth?
I'm stealing that phrase

lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2019-January/041971.html

thanks, I really couldn't find it

I received a systemd update yesterday and the day before, so at least he fixed the current security holes. I would assume there are others maintaining this critical part of debian besides Michael right?

Attached: screenshot.png (632x355, 42K)

>Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from earth?
Maybe because you fucking idiots run millions of lines of code as PID 1 + root.

Lmfao Linux development is absolutely fucked

Rust! Rust! Rust! Rust! Rust!

It's over.

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11436#issuecomment-454544525

Doesn't have anything to do with security, it just seems this issue broke the camels back.

Necro is not allowed, :grin:

I still don't understand why systemd was allowed in Debian, it has created only problems and solved none. Does anyone know who was responsible for this decision?

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11436#issuecomment-454585896
>but I am not sure that simply breaking systems like this is a good idea.
Lennart Poettering

I'm sure that's why he left but that doesn't change the fact that three (easily exploitable) issues were found in the last week, two pertaining to memory corruption and the other to out of bounds memory access.

because if they didn't allow the black box backdoor they'd be assassinated.

Hopefully they will start pointing their instruments at your direction. Perhaps they will find the brain cells responsible for replying properly.

>it has created only problems
Every complication is a potential problem, your way of thinking inhibits any progress and leads to death.

Because most of the code that ships with Debian isn't made by Devian devs. Lots of upstream packages today depend on systemd. Even shit like GNOME.
They saw the writting on the wall and switched.

Poettering's problem is that he has no concept of stable release. He pushes his unstable software and makes the users in beta testers.
It was the same shit with pulseaudio before it stabilized.
Of course, a unstable init system is much worse than a unstable audio system when most of your userbase runs servers.

hey awesome, fan of you here.

Can you post your gentoo setup or something? if possible github.

holy hell this is too accurate

>Even shit like GNOME
Stop shipping it then, it's trash anyway

if it's both more complicated, solves no problems, and creates problems, where is the progress?

>typing out "sigh"
>making an entire post only consisting of "sigh"
Anyone who does this deserves everything bad they get.

It's pretty good, I have to admit

based and forumpilled

>systemd
once shit, always shit

I hope they burn in hell desu

I am pretty sure that he has that concept. He just likes users to be testers for RedHat.

So we can watch both Rust and systemd burn?

There is nothing wrong with systemd

The hacker news thread is hilarious.
All posts complaining about systemd were downvoted into negative.
Systemd shills on damage control

If you don't like it stop using it lol

Who updates packages on Arch? do they leach out of Debian devs?

>shills
>for a free product
Capitalism has warped your brain.

>(((free)))

Attached: freelunch.jpg (640x960, 158K)

Hilarious things user, hilarious things.
Systemd devs love to say the kernel breaks things even when they're in the wrong, but refuse to fix their own mess.
Lennart "never my fault" Poeterring

>We can certainly repriotize things and more often declassify bugs
hitting more exotic cases as release-crtical, in order to come to a
more strigent release cadence I.e. more aggressively ignore bugs with
exotic archs, non-redhat distros, exotic desktops, exotic libcs, weird
drivers, yadda yadda, and leave them to be fixed by community
patches. But I doubt that is in your interest either, is it?

Did they just threaten to stop supporting non-redhat distros?

>Poettering's problem is that
he's larping as a kernel developer while being too stupid for it. Systemd is a second userspace kernel at this point and it gets everything wrong that Linux has gotten right.

I knew systemd main developers are retarded, but damn.

Attached: 1543845468008.png (783x262, 23K)

seems to me that poettering is literally correct. he programmed to the spec. if the spec is wrong then someone else didn't do their job.

It's funny how he was BTFO a few comments later.

It actually was documented and they fucked it up.

Here is the thread if you are interested:
lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/msg00281.html

I'm so glad I'm using a non-systemd distro

Then: If you don't use systemd you're an alt-right neckbeard.

Now: Systemd, and you by extension for using it, is completely fucked six ways till sunday and that's totally fine but we should probably move the entire universe over to Rust now because this proves no one can use C properly and and if you have a problem with that you're an alt-right neckbeard.

It's already plagiarized

I'm not up to speed on this sysadmin stuff at all.
Wasn't systemd from scratch? If they didn't want C why did they write it in C?

Because big boys use C

>tfw I run runit

Attached: 1359318601925.jpg (400x400, 80K)

lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/23/75

Bases linus tech tips

What is the best systemd-free gnu+linux distribution?

slackware hands down. gentoo/funtoo is 2nd imo

MX

The joke is that runit is so shit, I'd rather use syst*mD.

Runit literally just werks.

It's fucking terrible, you realize that right?

Runit literally doesn't werk ever. And you need a rescue image when you want to do anything to fix it. Other init systems don't have that problem unless the init system itself explodes.

Holy shit, linus destroyed that guy

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about at this point. You're going to have to clarify.

No, he only destroyed his own anus impotently.
Really, 99.9% of what linus says is pants-on-head retarded and just really help drive the fact linux has never been his work and always been other people's. Any claims that he knows what he's doing or that his gatekeeping role is a good thing can be clearly, decisively and definitely debunked by pointing to the infinite regressions with every single new linux version.

Lol, sounds like the systemd devs, like you, haven't been around Linux kernel development very much. That rant is legendary.

>pointing to the infinite regressions with every single new linux version
Point them out then.

void or guixsd

tfw running systemd-free Artix

Attached: 029-3.jpg (829x920, 88K)

What is more likely (outside systemd): a service is buggy, or an init system is buggy?
Answer: a service, obviously. You have tons of them from random provenance, while you have a single init from a known provider (and an init is a simple program, easy to fix and audit).
Runit is so retarded that it makes the assumption that all services will always work so it does retarded shit like automatically restart services that crash infinitely. So if xdm died because X is broken again because you were dumb enough to use arch, you can't even switch tty to fix it. Also, since init is so early in the boot process, it gets to not respect your want to boot in single-user mode to try to fix it. The only option is to have a kernel that understands init replacement options, or to use a rescue image (e.g. a live usb of choice).
It's only one of many retarded design decisions in runit.

Can't stop laughing

bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=regression
>Status: NEW, ASSIGNED, NEEDINFO, REOPENED
>This result was limited to 200 bugs. See all search results for this query.
Embarrassing desu senpai.
Let's not even mention actual bugs that aren't strictly regressions.

Not breaking userland is a good thing tho

I agree, and mauro was the moron here. But it's still true that all linus ended up doing was busting a nut in his own ass.

I think Satania should take a stance on systemd.

Attached: 1545892822303.jpg (1380x2048, 2.02M)

I think Satania should take a stance on my dick

That isn't even his most offensive rant, even if it's one of the most famous ones.
"You should be retroactively aborted" is a top tier insult

this all adds up. I won't even bother explaining

>Runit is so retarded that it makes the assumption that all services will always work so it does retarded shit like automatically restart services that crash infinitely.
What? If your service crashes/doesn't start after a given period of time, it just times out.

>Also, since init is so early in the boot process, it gets to not respect your want to boot in single-user mode to try to fix it.
What? You do this in the bootloader before init ever starts?

kek, when I read that one I thought "how long until this one gets posted on Jow Forums?"

And of course now the thread's locked because it's "making the rounds elsewhere." Can't have just any old user speaking up now can we?

>it just times out.
Nope, it restarts it in an infinite loop, fucking the entire system over.
>You do this in the bootloader before init ever starts?
You don't know how booting works.

why aren't you guys talking about openrc?

mein neger
what? that satania has good taste?

Because good things are not allowed here. That's why nu/g/ is shitting on gentoo and openrc in favor of crapware like void and runit.

>Nope, it restarts it in an infinite loop, fucking the entire system over.
No, I had a bug the other day with a service not working properly so it just timed out. Sounds like you might have had something misconfigured.

>You don't know how booting works.
Runit has a single user mode. You literally just open up grub (or whatever bootloader you use) and add "single" boot up in it.

Honestly 602 regressions over like 15+ million lines of code (or whatever we are at) over all these years isn't bad.

Reading that exact mailing list I came across this paragraph
"If a change results in user programs breaking, it's a bug in the
kernel. We never EVER blame the user programs. How hard can this be to
understand?"
Quite different compared to SystemD's dev philosophy.

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11436#issuecomment-454546312
>systemd isn't suffering from a perverted mindset
>systemd hasn't taken on a design philosophy that is antithetical to very purpose of software
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11436#issuecomment-454585896
>systemd isn't led by a spineless asshole who can't be bothered to stand up for basic standards of code quality in his own fucking project

>over all these years
WRONG, those are OPEN regressions, not regressions over all the years.
Again, these aren't all the bugs, these are ONLY regressions, so we're not having "merely" 602 bugs over 15m+ lines (which would still be plenty and cause for concern, especially with the severity of some of them and the importance of a kernel), but 602 OPEN REGRESSIONS alone. The fact they're open excludes the regressions in the current version that have already been closed but haven't been released yet also.
This is a massive number. It's not OK by any stretch.
But ultimately I was just pointing out that people who think linus is a magical fairy who prevents bad PRs from getting into linux are retarded because linus lets plenty of garbage in without so much as a pip (and it's not even entirely his fault, though it's true he's incapable of telling good code from the back end of his mum).

I know they are open regressions. I don't see the big deal either. It's a fucking massive code base of course there are going to be regressions. What number is okay to you?

How did he go from reviewing RGB RAM to developing the linux kernel?

Attached: zuckerberg_cinemagraph.gif (750x422, 598K)

Worse than tripfaggots are their cock suckers. Rare. But they do exist.

>having more regressions than some init processes have sloc's
Shiggy diggy doo
github.com/OpenRC/openrc/blob/master/src/rc/openrc-init.c

A shame, because systemd is trying to be a userland kernel, a wrapper around the actual kernel exposing higher level functionabilities to userland apps than what the kernel offers.

Even if you think that linux is a crappy kernel and is poorly developed, you should understand why this is a retarded comparison.

>he thinks having regressions in his init process is acceptable

they are talking about Linux you retard

>kernel = init process
Do you have brain damage? These are two massive different things. One is incredibly complex and the other is actually pretty simple.