What's a good idea for a Electron app?

what's a good idea for a Electron app?

Attached: javascript-electron-logo-s.jpg (800x600, 138K)

A text editor

a qt wrapper

fizzbuzz IDE

why package a website as an app?

I literally don't get it?

it's prettier than native apps desu

Rewriting it in a proper language?

name a better and efficient way to deliver crossplatform desktop apps without the requirement of installing additional horse shit like .net frameworks jre sdk qt etc also that can run offline without internet access

no as in, if you already made a website, why put it into an app?

Well, Jow Forums? You don't lack real world experience, do you?

Attached: 1547692935.png (944x191, 24K)

why do people use the discord client instead of the website?

It's kind of foolish to approach programming as "I want to use X tool, what can I do with it"
If you were getting into carpentry you wouldn't be like "What are some good hammer based projects?"
Ask yourself these questions:
>What are some points of friction in your life / the lives of those around you?
>Is there a way that software might be able to solve this problem?
>What does the software have to do?
>What are the best tools to accomplish this goal?
Picking a tool and going from there is stupid and just makes it look like you're trying to pad out your resume. It won't fool anyone. When I see a resume with hot new tech on it, the first question I ask them is why they picked it. If they don't have an actual answer including the pros and cons they weighed, I won't hire them.

That's not to say that I discount any new or popular tech on resumes, they just have to have a good answer.
If I ask you why you built a project in electron and your answer is "I wanted to learn it" I'm going to as "Why did you want to learn it" and most people usually answer "because it's popular" which is a negative for me.
It doesn't even have to be a great answer, I've happily accepted answers like "because most of my experience is in web development and electron works well with that". That's fine.

What's the point of using qt then?

I got a good idea.
Don't use fucking electron you piece of shit!!!

Not to make one.

put it in a website?

IDK, I sure don't.

A terminal emulator

A what you see is what you might get static website generator with preview. That's likely the only legit use case, otherwise it's all about

GTK. You bundle the libs based on OS version, ship them with your app and you just saved 200MB of your users' ram.

Remote control app for an anal dildo.

single page - a text box and a button. type a file path in the text box and click the button and it opens a messagebox telling you if the file exists or not

Things browsers cant do like an LDAP client

web browser

Theres no way youve ever hired someone you sound dumb as fuck you dont even know what electron does

>you sound dumb as fuck
that's upper management for ya

If there's a website you like that doesn't have a app or something else because something you're interested in makes a better project. Random suggestions are poop.

Program to help tag and/or add descriptions to images, like you type the description press enter and the next image loads so you can type that description. Save the descriptions to a file or the image metadata.
Probably too complicated and useless, make a 3d world file browser. Character builder is a must. A vehicle would be nice. Basically I want to pick up actual files with a character and move them around or throw them at other files just because.

cross platform fizzbuzz

Yeah upper management hires the devs. Never change g/ayassretards

Turn in your programming badge, please.

So you don't have to have an internet connection or the overhead that comes with hosting a website.
>this is what Jow Forums has become
Hmm

GTK looks like freshly minted dogshit.

I don't know what you are interested in making, but I am currently working on two projects, first is a program for controlling electrical test equipment (e.g. oscilloscopes, SMU's, LCR meters) via VISA protocols then taking the data and analysing it automatically.
>Not using NI Labview because fuck proprietary nonsense, this shit should have been freedumbed years ago.

The other is a photo viewer which allows you to load multiple folders of images and display side-by-side images that share specific metadata e.g. if two or more images have the same description, geotag, title etc. I actually think this is a pretty neat project and can't find any other programs that do this. Generally people search their filesystem for the metadata and then view each image individually or in a shitty slideshow type situation.

>is should run offline without internet access
>put it in a website?
your mother should have put you in the bin

A gui for a dildo fucking machine

a gf

Attached: 1546011206118.jpg (550x778, 118K)

Jow Forums browser electron app.

bloated shit with many problems with font scaling dont build anything on that shit complete trash

Cupholders

i dont know. i ask them this often and they can never give a straight answer. the desktop client is literally pointless

Because most phone browsers are shit and/or bloated.

>without the requirement of installing additional horse shit
Bundle them with your program? That's exactly what you're currently doing with Electron, you fucking retard.

a fucking browser

Static linking. This isn't hard.

A trash can.

>What are offline webpages for 500, Alex?

Xojo

>unzip&run is just like installing 500MB of dependencies
k.

not making an app with electron

fucked in the head, the lot of them

Let's be honest here, the reason people use Electron is because it's nicer to make GUIs with JS than with anything else.

give me C or give me death. I prefer my CPU to be below 97 degrees when typing a simple document

Native notifications, a taskbar notifier, push to talk, start on boot, and i use a tab suspender

just use qtchan. It's built on C++ and qt so it won't eat up all your ram when you start it

Develop GUIs natively for each platform. WORA is for lazy retards. A methodical design separating shared and paltform specific code is the only acceptable way of doing it.

they're called electron apps :^)

>nigger tier garbage

JavaFX is the only sane choice for cross platform GUI applications. If you create a distribution with JLink, your application comes with a modular JRE that isn't bigger than 30mb. Also Java performs 10x better than models and creating GUIs with scene builder is easy as fuck but I guess zoomed are too stupid even for Java.

*10x better than nodejs/electron

>tfw gui development is so FUCKED that fucking javafx is a sound solution. top kek.

How long until we get an Electron-based DE?

I know. Im not fond of Java either but is it better than nodejs / electron? Fuck, yes.

see: gnome and cinnamon

>shipping a statically compiled runtime bigger than some kernels is a sane choice.
The absolute state of desktop applications.

Well theres a JS runtime in there sure but its not electron.

>bigger than some kernels
absolutely meaningless statement

given that browsers are perhaps the most powerful 2d rendering engines out there; and that they are now application engines for web apps, really why not use a browser engine itself for the desktop. (ignoring security issues).

>discord
>offline

my friend, you're an expert at goalpost gymnastics.

>installing additional horse shit
Electron IS the horseshit, just comes in the same package
It would honestly be just a bit less shit if each app was just 1mb and they shared the same runtime. It would still be a ram hog but at least take less space.

Slow ass ram angry apps are the horshit, bro'.

did they touch a nerve with you?

electron tracking app that tracks all the electrons in your computer so you can tell if any are slacking off

Electron confirmed hired a passive-aggressive feminist to write their FAQ