Data Analyst

I accidently fell into a Data Science role. Is this something worth staying?

Ive never really been interested in it but my SQL skills are okay. Im only 23 and idk if this is gonna kill my career. I want switch to something like Software Development but idk if its possible if im a data analyst.
Am i fucked Jow Forums? Is data science worth staying?

Attached: mds.png (848x1200, 150K)

data science is dead, you need to be a data artisan

Why not be both

But how? Right now my job requires me to use SQL, Excel, and VBA. Theres some room for me to do VB.Net which i think could open a door for me to be a .Net developer, which i wouldnt mind doing.

What sort of jobs should i look for?

my friend makes $70k as a data analyst, can't be that bad

I make 75k now as a data analyst.
I want to be making 100k+ as a dev.

Data analyst salaries cap out around 80k

>mfw I make more than that doing QA

Attached: BA9B4D90-EB5B-4BBA-A60A-E07D64A1F47E.jpg (1024x576, 81K)

It's good. Most people need masters degree to get into data science

Entry level security analysts with at least 6 months and entry level programmers with no industry experience make $80k.

Thats not true unless you live in a high CoL area

I dont have the stomach to sell so much bullshit

Learn Python, learn ML (if you haven't), and try to find "Machine Learning Engineer" jobs. These aren't as common as DA/DS but they're a good choice as they're sure to overlap with Software Engineering. Then you can work on projects with other Software people and pivot from there.

Correct. Also machine learning engineer jobs tend to start at around 120k in low cost of living areas.

Correct also, less so as """analyst""" which usually means you do more data input than actual analysis or computer-related work.

Make sure not to have any delusions about what it means to be in these roles: a data analyst mostly inputs data, or adds labels to unlabeled data. It's inhouse mturk worker-tier stuff. ML engineers usually copy-paste, or reimplement, other people's code, then run it over and over again as the data analysts bring in more data. Neither job is any fun, meaningful*, or engaging, and neither can lead to real career advancement (you'll always stay in the same role) except if you change track to sales or management.

*: that will depend on where you work. It's more meaningful to do tedious nonsense for a company that researchers cancer than one that creates cancerous ads, though the latter is much more likely to try to hire people.

As an analyst, what do i do to switch to job thats more meaningful and fun?

did you like graduate 2 years ago, i thought cs grads made 80k starting and quarter of a mill in less then 6 years ?!?

ML engineer will most probably be more meaningful than analyst. In that case, try The easiest way is to get in with the people you're working with and try to move onto a ML engi track that way. Easier to do at startups for obvious reasons. Usually needs political plays at bigger companies, but doable.

The other ML job is ML researcher, but that requires a PhD under all normal circumstances, and the competition is becoming tighter by the minute.

If you want to work for companies doing the meaningless work "knowing" it will go into something meaningful, you have to search based on your interests. What is it that you want to be a part of? Do you want to help make the blind have a normal life through phone apps? Do you want to solve diseases? Do you want to fight greehouse gas? Do you want to make the web a free, uncensorable place?
Once you can describe that, figure out 'how' this can be accomplished, and finally, look for relevant companies working on that. See what kind of services they need. Reminder that you don't need to work for them as a data anything, young companies would love to have you manage their IT stuff and work your way into a data something position where you can provide value they can't otherwise afford, for example.
Big companies love the data/ml meme so they can sometimes make new positions just for you if you pitch them something good and they like you.

>The virgin data science vs the chad business intelligence

BI is a much bigger meme because it is cancer in every single way and can never not be cancer, on top of being meaningless.

Started as a meme analyst and used it to move into a role as a data engineer - making ~$120k @ 27.

It's not full-stack-developer at Google level pay, but it can end up alright.

It's actually higher pay than full stack developer at google unless you live in retarded areas like sv.

>ML engineer
>ML researcher

Implying there's anything meaningful you can engineer or research about a bunch of statistical weights you don't have any insight about or idea how they work, or what features they are identifying.

>Data analyst salaries cap out around 80k
nah, for tier 1 companies salaries are usually around .75-.85 of developer salaries. There are E6+ data analysts and data scientists making over 500k. Granted a lot of these people have phds or masters in math/physics/stats

>physics
Thats probably the biggest meme degree there is aside from coding bootcamp.

>Passionate about the business
>Influence without authority
I hate this shit

Attached: 1546803284351.jpg (720x714, 54K)

What's the difference between machine learning and data science? Or are they the same thing?

They're both a complete joke, that's all you need to know

I dont get how people are this stupid. What the fuck do you think engineering is?

machine learning is fitting curves and data science is whatever your boss wants it to be

This. I hate how the term engineer has been pimped out. Calling yourself an engineer should be illegal unless you have a PE license just like how it's illegal to call yourself a doctor or lawyer without proper licenses.

how so?

Engineering is for all the pure math burnout zero IQ retards. I know plenty of engineers who failed the most basic math courses and couldn't program their way out of a sock. Most are completely brain dead.

Attached: 1534188729508.jpg (645x968, 106K)

I just got a data analyst job making 63k my first year out of college.

The pay is about 10k lower than average because it's a non profit, but I am doing pretty well.

The only problem for me is that I am the only one who knows any programing at my job, so i don't have any seniors to learn from.

How fucked will I be applying to jobs later as a self taught python brainlet with no teamwork exp?

The senior data analyst quit right as I got promoted for a job making 2.5x old salary at Google.

my ex-gf is a data scientist
fuck data scientists

>larping this hard

>ex gf
>disgusting tranny abomination

no im the one who turned mtf cause of the breakup

whats wrong with you

i wanted to look cute in programming socks dont judge

Literally what about this is a larping?

You want me to post my ID badge? Or my offer letter?

I'm in the California Bay area and my friends who graduated in cs are doing low 70s without effort.

>working as pajeet is a job

>work for fortune 500 company
>company sitting on more data than they know what to do with
>decide to try and turn everyone into a data scientist
>they hire some mit prof to run data sci division
>guy says you dont need to know stats, cs, or area of expertise
>just need to have an idea
>by end of his 'courses', pretty much says come up with a proof of concept in excel
>pajeets offshore will just write the code you want and deal with the data
>every chick in the office now has 'data scientist' title
>they openly talk about how they dont do anything
at least we are diverse

>63k
>10k lower than average
you must work in the middle of a forest because data scientist usually make 10-15k more than the median software engineer salary in most areas. you should be making 90k, even in the shittiest markets

Lol user this is a joke right

How do I become an employed data scientist? Will I make it if I'm a math brainlet?