I'm getting a TCL Series 6 TV

I'm getting a TCL Series 6 TV.

I'm really confused about HDR, I knOW there's 3 HDR formats but what on PC even supports HDR?

Can I pirate HDR films? If so, what do I need to play them?

Do any PC games even support it?

Is HDR even worth a shit?

Attached: tcl-series-6-3249-1920x1280.jpg (1920x1280, 231K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>2019
>owning a tv
Get off the internet you fucking boomer

I'm a lazy shit who PC games on his TV from bed using an Xbone controller.

Sub 50 inch screens are not fit for me.

>2019
>playing video games
Shouldn’t you be trying to get your life in order you degenerate millennial? Still suffering from “muh ADHD”?

>Is HDR even worth a shit?

Not if youre buying a run of the mill TCL TV.

The TCL is the best reviewed HDR 4K set under $1400ish

The next thing up is a Sony 900f which is only slightly better.

Beyond that is the Vizio Quantum, which I do hear is nice.

>tv in bedroom
Are Americans really this fucking disgusting? What a shithole country filled with shitty people

Pay your TV license.

>owning a tv
Americans or heavily controlled by so much Jew devices. You guys would actually be rich if you didn’t spend all your money on dumb shit you don’t need at you local WALMAAHT

Vizio P65/P75 is better than any of the TLCs and the Vizio Quantum is better but with a hefty costy over the P series.
Sony X900F is solid too but personally Vizio has a better value while holding the same levels of quality.

Is TCL actually good? Sounds like a chinese knockoff brand

The Vizio has worse local dimming according to rtings, by a good bit.

Dark clacks are nice.

>2019
>still believing in improvement meme

>complains about Jew devices
>browses the internet and Jow Forums

Save up for an LG OLED TV.

The effect of seeing the perfect blackness in a dark room is simply stunning.

>falling for the oled meme
wait for microled

>buying an OLED TV when we're this close to MicroLED consumer TVs

95% of Jow Forums wrongly considers TVs a normalfag thing so they won't be able to tell you shit about them other than
>2019
>buying a TV

Keep input lag low (less than 40ms) if you plan to game.
rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag
NU8000 or similar if you want 1440p120Hz, low input lag

Don't wait for MicroLED, HDMI 2.1, 8K. Only thing worth the short wait is cheap full array local dimming with at least 30 zones (FALD).

Attached: Pic45-0_rlt.png (1280x910, 1.72M)

Look at this retard being so out of the loop.

I also follow rratings and you could go for the TLC 6 if you have a tighter budget. However at the end of the day every TV will have a compramise/flaw when compared to others; there is no such thing as a perfect TV. I personally went for the Vizio P-Series since I wanted to use my budget small factor PC on it since that model has a true 120hz native mode and it wasn't that more.

>Samshit
I swear to god the day I stopped buying their TVs was one of the best decisions I ever made. Sure they have Freesync/low input lag for games but damn at the cost of their ghosting and bad overpriced displays when compared to Vizio/TLC/Sony.

yes
yes
yes
yes

I can't believe HDR wasn't popularised earlier. THe difference is insane

Fake news. Samsung just released a prototype Microled TV. It took literal decades from the first OLED tv prototype to get to LG's recent OLED tvs.

TV BAD
MONITOR GOOD
PCMR SUBREDDIT TOLD ME SO

Wang 10 has HDR support
You can only output 4K HDR 4:2:0 I think, so chroma quartered. Movies are already 4:2:0 but even games are also limited to this.
Not sure though, have a HDR TV but it's probably not legit HDR.

>You can only output 4K HDR 4:2:0 I think
That's more a limitation with HDMI 2.0 when your dealing with 4k@60hz
Windows 10 can do HDR in 10/12bit RGB if your display permits it which can't be anything but 4:4:4
>have a HDR TV but it's probably not legit HDR
If it can process actual 10bit color it's most likely legit HDR, some TVs can still only process 8 bit but will still respond to HDR metadata It's still "fake" HDR as it's not within specifications but atl east it's still doing something and isn't just a processing effect

Attached: image.png (377x217, 9K)

I have a 4K non-HDR monitor and the blu ray rips I download are all 40+GB HDR in 10 bit color. This is mainly so I can serve from my computer to my TV which can play them in glorious color, but when I playback these files on my computer the colors look all washed out and shitty.

How do I play these so the colors are adjusted back to normal SDR? I only know of one way, which is by having madvr crank up the contrast and brightness on the monitor to disgusting levels whenever it detects the HDR metadata but this has major drawbacks and it's more of a workaround than a solution.

What do non-HDR 4K tvs do when trying to play these HDR files anyway?

Get a deep color monitor perhaps?

>tv in bedroom
>pc with controller
Consider suicide

make sure you're on 10-bit in the monitor, use mpv

>What do non-HDR 4K tvs do when trying to play these HDR files anyway?
in most situations they wouldn't get served the file with HDR or the device sending the signal would attempt to do some on the fly conversion with varying results
there is no graceful way to do HDR to SDR this is why they tried to make HLG a thing where you could broadcast both HDR and SDR at the same time

I'm gonna buy a 65" OLED tv next year and you can't stop me.

>wrongly
Found the normalfag.

Definitely at some point, but desu it's pretty low on my to do list.

not that it would really help with hdr stuff anyway

MPV does tonemapping out of the box, senpai

Big screen TVs aren't even that expensive anymore. I saw a lot of 55 inch TVs from different brands on sale around black Friday for just $300-400. Even the 65" TCL 4 was on sale for just $400.

I prefer to watch movies/play games on my bigger TV instead of my monitor just for the more "immersive" experience.

Well of course, that's because you are sane. Imagine living in a time of cheap big-ass high-contrast 2160p low-input-lag VA TVs and still watching movies and playing games on small backlight bleeding IPS that costs almost the same.

Attached: IMG_20190112_034326.png (505x910, 694K)

this
I would say you don't even have to get a big TV just get a VA monitor if you don't want the bigness
pc market has an obsession with IPS that's more driven by marketing rather than ips being good. you see this right now with the way monitors are advertised, almost no one will advertise something is a VA panel but they sure as shit will put IPS front and center if the monitor is one

wait for post superbowl open box sales

tvs were vad till about 3 years ago when they started putting out tvs that shit on most monitors response times.

they are currently the best tv to get at the 600~$ price range

however, they have fatal flaws for pc monitors behind how they handle darker colors, which causes magenta and green artifacts on anything with stippling, its visible in games, images, and some video, but overall if you can get passed that, nothing beats it for the price range, visio gets close and is a good contender if tcl is not good enough for you, but you are trading issues.

either way, hisense showed off lamanateing white & black va to a color va and haveing effectively 2 million points of local contrast, putting a va at near if not the same contrast ratio of oled (human eye can not see the pixels are letting any light though so its near infinite) and with 100/200 very bright backlight leds, you can turn areas off as well as block light on a near per pixel basis so white spots like stars no longer have any blooming/halo.

this is also coming in at cheaper than oled, so the burn in issue that oleds have is no longer a thing, this will be the standard till micro led gets into a sane price range and screen size.

micro led has been around for quite a while, like oled, however the problemes before were size and burn in respectively

oled still has burn in but it's far better now, while micro led is now 4k at 75 inch, plus with what samsung showed off with boxes, it may be possible to have a build your own tv like system for micro leds, I mean my house would be ok with a 1080p at 38 inch, and if we can go off size, I could get it up to 55 or 65 and be happy.

um, tcl has been putting out 78-106 full array tvs for a few years now.

but hisense is putting out va laminated local dimming which will give 2 million or so zones, its a 1080p local dimming aray on a 4k picture, and it's coming out soon, they said it may even be 120hz 4k if hdmi 2.1 comes out soon enough.
THIS is worth the short term wait.

va implementation has its problems, ips is more or less the best picture you can get without flaws, but personally I prefer contrast ratio to perfect images, so I get a bit of magenta and green in black and white images, i'm able to live with it,

Attached: 792soCZ.jpg (6016x4000, 3.13M)

Name one TV better than a benq xl2411p

>shit contrast
>ghosting
>Extremely expensive high refresh rates
>without flaws

In itself, no.
What matters is the panels ability to be bright and show accurate/vivid colors (whichever you prefer). HDR has nothing to do with this, but most TVs gimp their panels when HDR isn't enabled.

10ms input lag, so, an input lag high enough that you would feel it if playing at 144, vs a tcl input lag of 14ms, which you don't feel.

the fuck are you even talking about?

oleds do because they have a max power rating and having all the pixels being at max power puts it over the limit, its retarded but thats the reason.

as for hdr, most things are not made to show it off, tech demos exist that show you why hdr is great, and some movies like john wick 2 are fantastic for it, but beyond that, hdr is more about displaying more contrast on screen then normal. normal video displays a VERY small amount of contrast, something like 1:200~ while hdr standards start with 1:12000 and dolby has 1:27000 for theirs, I think there is one that has a higher standard, but dolby also masters assuming 4000cdm/2 brightness.

The flaws of IPS.

It has 1ms you dipshit

>but what on PC even supports HDR?
Windows 10, a few video games, and certain media players.

>Can I pirate HDR films? If so, what do I need to play them?
Yes. You need a player that can play HDR blu-ray to play them, such as MPC-HC or MPV. Be aware that these films take up about 60-80 GB.

>Do any PC games even support it?
Yes, a few of them do.

On a shitty run of the mill TCL TV? Probably not. You need either OLED or full-array local dimming, preferably the former.

Wait shit I forgot to remove that shitpost name.

>oleds do because they have a max power rating and having all the pixels being at max power puts it over the limit, its retarded but thats the reason.
what? no. local dimming(for LED, SDR) has been a thing for a long time and with OLED it's even better. In fact they have to do this for HDR too since the HDR video signal could just say "All white screen, 1000nits brightness" and burn the panel.

>tech demos exist that show you why hdr is great
I have never seen a demo that compares HDR vs. ungimped SDR. That would be cool, so I could see if there's banding or not.

>hdr is more about displaying more contrast on screen then normal. normal video displays a VERY small amount of contrast, something like 1:200~ while hdr standards start with 1:12000 and dolby has 1:27000 for theirs, I think there is one that has a higher standard, but dolby also masters assuming 4000cdm/2 brightness.
Those are nothing but wishful numbers. In real life there's max brightness, and the question if SDR would band or not. No TV is 4000nits. The HDR stamp means nothing since the cheap TVs people buy have 300-400nit 8bit panels.

People are arguing over 4K, HDR, and HFR while I'm projecting 100+ inch movies in my living room in the great home cinema renaissance

Attached: epson-2045-03.jpg (830x467, 39K)

Also have the P-Series, been very good so far.

>1ms
>believing marketing
Anytime you see 1ms advertised on any 144hz monitor, it's a crock of shit
1ms is at best the g2g response time which is completely separate from input lag