Open source as a business model

docker, hashicorp, coreos, and all those startups raising millions to develop FOSS, how the fuck do they make money? using github stars?

Attached: 1517021410730.gif (413x243, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxfoundation.org/about/donate/
cilium.io/
linuxfoundation.org/about/diversity-inclusiveness/programs/
github.com/microsoft
github.com/amzn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The only way to make money with open source is to create a product that companies will pay you to develop like Linux or OpenGL
doesn't work with normal consumer software

all these companies are valued at hundreds of millions of dollars and there are much more valued 1-10 million doing FOSS and not making money at all, I should have mentioned that I am more interested in cloud companies than software in general

Mostly other big tech companies funding, or EU for example (Qubes OS got a lot of money from the EU).
Tor is mainly funded by the USA and private donations.
I sometimes donate to FOSS projects too, if I think they‘re good and earned the money.
But NEVER donate to the Linux Foundation again, they give 100% of private donations to diversity projects.
linuxfoundation.org/about/donate/

what the fuck is a cloud company

nothing they dont do anything all computer science software engineering is just gay unproductive shit that people with too much money and no sense like to throw money at. Software is dead, there is no more value in code, most dev jobs are going to go away. Thats the hard truth, you are all useless and your copypaste, boilerplate coding is no longer gonna cut it. Hardware is making a comeback, genetic enginneering and biotech are too, materials science and aero space are the future and where the real value is.

companies developing software around microservices, cloud native like k8s, serverless, etc..

*forks your software and charges for it*
nuthin' personal

Attached: aws-logo-new-300x200.gif (300x200, 5K)

yeah sorry I'm not up to date with the latest tech memes

go to bed, NEET

I work at a company where our main product is open source, however we also sell an "Enterprise" version of this product which is basically enhanced, provides hosting in our own servers, and functional and technical support and it works very well for us

You’re gonna have to bait easier than that user. Maybe try an apple thread about buying a MacBook Pro or something

lol you're just coping. your earning potential aint gonna be 100k+ anymore. everyones already wised up to your racket. Software is dead, no more facebooks are going to be made everything useful and valueable has been thought up. Whats coming (whats happening) is the slow grinding devaluation of your skills as everyone and their special needs brother gets a CS degree and there arent anymore jobs to fill. Jobs that requires hard technical knowledge augmented with Coding skills are whats needed now, we need biotechnologists with a rudementary knowledge of code nothing more, everythings mostly boilerplate now.

Proprietary software companies follow a business model in which the value is generated by software itself i. e. Software itself is the product, boxed and sold.
Open source companies instead follow a business model where value lies in the services / processes which are made possible (or made easier) by the software they develop.
An example of the first case would be a company making and selling an accounting software; the final product is sold on dvds that corporate IT drones can use to install it on their servers, and cost several thousands of dollars.
An example of the second case would be a company making a new type of microprocessor; they could maintain a proprietary OS for it, but instead they have chosen to write a Linux port for it, since it's free, powerful and would increase the marketability of their product.

Attached: 345eb43999c4b6ac98a387f64633e6f2.jpg (2480x3507, 1.59M)

software right now is like the record industry in the 90s: nobody wants to pay for their shit and increasingly ppl are finding more and more ways to do so. Selling ur customers data can only so far and increasingly customer data is becoming worthless as every other tech company tries that route. just face it software is dead.

Actually software sells more now that people have embraced digitial distrubtion and it's easier and more convienent to pay for an app than it is to pirate it

Biotech itself is a bloated carcass waiting to pop. At least when the bubble finally does pop it will have fulfilled the promise to cure cancer: itself.

You can provide a unique service using FOSS alone, or FOSS + proprietary software. Google, Amazon, and Microsoft all contribute hugely to FOSS, namely the linux kernel. They also use it for their cloud services like Azure, AWS, and google cloud.

Corporate support.

Aside from developing FOSS applications then charging for proper implementation + support on code + knowledge transfer on it, not going to get far. Most of these startups dev a open source shit but the money they make is in support/implementation/customization. Same shit usually with hardware sales, not too much is made off reselling it. All it is made in configuring/implementing it

I thought the point of "FOSS" was not to use any proprietary software at all because it's evil?

In it's purest form sure, but aside from people making some niche things for fun/work someone is willing to share who cares.

Intel, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and other top "evil" tech companies are the biggest contributors to FOSS

Services. All of these things require servers to run. So, $company goes ahead and offers server hosting and for better adoption and good boy points, they open-source their product. They don't offer libraries, they offer essentially proprietary platforms that you have to develop for, however vendor lock-in is hard to sell, so they just make it open-source so it seems less like vendor lock-in.
Open-Source is purely PR. If you think that companies do open source because of their kindness, you are seriously misled.

What's wrong with that? Perhaps getting people other than white men to work on it will actually turn Linux into something usable beyond servers

mfw my ex is a
>gene onthologist
and she's a fucking brainlet who can barely into python. bioyech is a giant meme.

yeah but some aren't even offering paid service at all, for example there is cilium cilium.io/ this is a company that develops a service mesh infrastructure based on linux BPF, there is nothing to be monetized here, the only thing I can think of is that they want to be bought by a bigger company

>open source as a business model
there why crazzy langiages like C++ so popular

>open source is a onions boy thing
>he has a 10 windows 64 bit pro edition cracked

wtf, imagine how pissed you would be if you only found out about this after donating

The problem with biotech is that most people know some bio, and virtually no programming. What you want is bioinformatics, but people don't really believe in it despite the great strides it's brought. They're also kinda right about it, because 99% of the research is incorrect (they use wrong metrics, don't really understand the informatics/math part of it and poorly apply tools, and publish results based on what amounts to lies. In proteomics it's especially bad).
The solution is that you need to get yourself a phd while knowing what you're doing to change this mess. Because we all know nobody else will do it.

Looks like someone’s mad they couldn’t make it past cal 1 and had to switch to an IT degree

Others have the right of it here, there are ways to profit with FLOSS. Corporate support like Redhat is the big one, where you handle service contracts, servers/ hardware, maintenance, or custom modules written for your particular use case often contributed back up upstream

One good example of this is Mycroft.ai - which is FLOSS and is making a voice assistant to complete with Amazon and Google but respects your privacy. They can even sell corporate support and hosting stuff or even whole white box custom services on that side so to speak, plus offer a cheap optional subscription for home users etc. There is also consumer hardware such as the Mark 2 which competes with similar smart speaker , so interested users can buy one but unlike others you can just install it on Linux right down to a RPi3 and roll your own (coming later will be applications for other platforms as well as a major transition to make install even friendlier for non technical users).

So open source can work if you do it right

>What's wrong with that? Perhaps getting people other than white men to work on it will actually turn Linux into something usable beyond servers
I know this is bait but come on, man. don't do this to my heart.

I do think it is misleading to write all that stuff above about supporting Linux development including kernel development etc... Above and then say "oh by the way, we give all personal donations to diversity programs" and don't even go into what that means.

Its one thing to have some percentage of your donation possibly go to a Linux advocacy program that targets some sort of diversity element, but 100% ? That seems against what was previously written above about overall donations are used and its a disincentive for individuals to donate

linuxfoundation.org/about/diversity-inclusiveness/programs/

nothing wrong with diversity as long as you help the right people you low IQ trumptard

>the right people
good goy

read the page and you can see what diversity programs they support

if you want to support them in a general capacity you can donate to the programs directly. i assume that donations made through the linux foundation will be earmarked specifically for outreach and education related to linux, but someone should email them to find this out

Major corporations fund them. It's cheaper for them to donate to these projects each year collectively with other companies to use high end products.

Funded by other businesses. Charging a fuck load for tech support (as in proper tech support, not Samir from "totally Bombay, Indiana, sir, not India, that was a mistake and I have done the needful and am from Indiana, sir, please run /sfc thank you"

Are you retarded? Do you really think Amazon or Microsoft are sitting around contributing to FOSS projects?

Yes, they do.
They're reliant on FOSS then integrated the devs/the programs.

Dude, learn basic shit polease

github.com/microsoft
github.com/amzn

they do. it's cheaper to do that and make sure the project stays alive instead of spending the resources required to develop it in house. and well funded FOSS projects are great because the programmers are actually passionate about the project instead of an average employee of a corporation.

They each contribute the most of anyone unless you aggregate all private individual contributions. Intel has an entire department that just hires developers and evangelists to work on and support foss.