The notch has unironically been the best thing to happen to smartphones in years

The notch has unironically been the best thing to happen to smartphones in years.
It doesn't actually get in the way at all (yes, even when watching video in landscape mode) if you design your UI around it correctly and it forces software designers to reconsider what's truly important enough to display in the notification/status bar 24/7. You don't need to constantly see the name of the carrier you're on, or shitloads of tiny grayscale icons corresponding to application notifications.
It's mandatory minimalism. It pushes the software out of the user's way by force. And you should love it.

Attached: transparent iphone.jpg (576x768, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RTzxUeYNSgE
youtu.be/VKGheWx51Aw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck off, iToddler. The notch is shit and so is your copepost. Enjoy your buyer's remorse, NPC retard.

>even watching video in landscape mode
that's because you're a troglodyte who hasn't seen a video longer than 16:9 aspect ratio

I have no idea what this is and I own an iPhone.

>red tinted picture

cringe and bluepilled

>It doesn't actually get in the way at all (yes, even when watching video in landscape mode)
youtu.be/RTzxUeYNSgE
youtu.be/VKGheWx51Aw
Yeah, totally doesn't cut into the content.
>you should totally love this uncalled for "innovation" which you can't even hide/disable on iOS
No wonder why you're an Apple user.

This is what cucks actually believe

>and that's a good thing!

> if you design your UI around it correctly
> It pushes the software out of the user's way by force
> And you should love it.
Admit it, you've copy pasted it from article of a sѹgobbling macfag editor to trigger Jow Forums.

I'm never buying a phone with a cutout. This no bezels race ends up being worse for the consumer. Take a look at the Pixel 3 xl and tell me I'm wrong.

>all this anger from Jow Forums
only helps prove the theory since Jow Forums is always wrong

>fortnite
That tiny lil notch isn't getting in the way of anything, nor blocking functionality even by a tiny bit.
The same goes with watching YouTube videos or Netflix. Just zoom out and boom; notch gone.
Cry moar, snowflake

Attached: 1428474318782.jpg (1214x1239, 356K)

I'm not mad, I was ignorant. I called it the "speaker". I mostly use my phone to make phone calls, so I don't really care about all the other stuff.

>just zoom out bro, BOOM
>who cares if your content spills into bunny ears

>who needs to see anything in full-screen
Jesus Christ...

The gayming excuse is invalid because it's not like menus are being cut off by the notch, and the part of the screen that the notch does cut into is unimportant.
Plus, your thumbs will literally be covering the area where the notch is anyway. So even if the notch weren't there, you'd still be blocking that general area.
Video excuse also isn't really valid because you can still zoom out to avoid the notch, as you just posted. The content will be smaller, but that's a fine trade-off for a total lack of bezels. The overall size of the video while zoomed out is literally the same as it would be on a phone with big bezels, a la iPhone 8 or original Pixel, so nothing really changes there.

Not an issue.

tell me bunny ears aren't cute to my face you little faggot

Attached: bunny and capubara.jpg (605x453, 79K)

I'm going to be kinda sad once manufacturers find a way to put the camera under the display and the notch disappears because then the status bar is going to start filling with irrelevant garbage again.

The notch is fucking cancer, but I will admit that Apple implemented it more tastefully than any Android maker.

Imagine typing this garbage out in an attempt to baitpost on 4channel.

>Video excuse also isn't really valid because you can still zoom out to avoid the notch, as you just posted.
I was being ironic. How is having to zoom out every single video and not watch anything in full screen unless you want bunny ears a positive? I don't really care about gaming, but content is still being pushed into the same area no matter what.

>a notch which can't be disabled or hidden
>tasteful

I said it's more tasteful than when Android makers try it, not that it's tasteful period.

>I lack reading comprehension
>and yet I must speak
pic related

Attached: 2c3e5cab0df2b8f88849199346d1e3ae.png (508x510, 55K)

Its just your opinion, not a fact, so do not pretend as if it is. Just like if i said otherwise, its also just an opinion. Is it really so much fun to start a flame war, rather than have a civilised discussion?

Attached: 1517751165518.jpg (882x624, 122K)

>How is having to zoom out every single video and not watch anything in full screen unless you want bunny ears a positive?
It's not a positive, necessarily. It just means everything stays mostly the same. Zoom out of one video once and it will remember to play every video that way.
The video remains the same size it would've been on any other phone with bigger bezels, and there is no notch in sight. Not an improvement, but also not a step back. Just the same as always. And the fact that you're throwing a mini-tantrum over it is just weird.

>here's a bunch of pixels for you to disable so your phone can have a really big forehead instead of just a little notch
Disabling the notch is the dumbest fucking thing

Attached: oh shit, an ms paint comic.png (900x900, 38K)

>autists hate the notch for cosmetic reasons but can't supply a single functional reason not to include one
lmao

Attached: all the android phones worth getting.jpg (640x404, 45K)

>"Lol, autists just hate my PT Cruiser because it looks fucking awful, but name one thing functionally wrong with it! GOTCHA FAGS"
terrible aesthetics is more than enough reason to hate something

Whether or not you personally like the way it looks is irrelevant as that's a matter of opinion. You can't say something is factually poorly designed simply because you don't like the way it looks. The notch has to hinder the experience in a fundamental way to constitute bad design.
Personally, I like the way the notch looks. A rectangle with no bezel whatsoever would just be bland and uninspired.

If you can’t see the name of the carrier then how do you know what carrier you’re using?

Attached: AD55AF18-10EB-446C-B33A-662EE1FD8928.png (420x420, 7K)

>i (don't) like this personally
>it's universally good/bad
Also:

>here's a bunch of pixels for you to disable so your phone can have a really big forehead instead of just a little notch
>more choices/options bad
No wonder why you're an Apple user. Who cares about a "big forehead" anyway and especially at this point where both bezels are as minimal as possible? Also, every content being pushed into those cutouts isn't a positive and not watching content full screen to avoid this isn't a positive either.

>No wonder why you're an Apple user.
You've already used that line. Cross them off as you use them next time.
Also, never said I was an Apple product user, or even implied it. I just said the notch has been a great influence on smartphone design.
>Who cares about a "big forehead" anyway and especially at this point where both bezels are as minimal as possible?
Because the entire point of the notch is to eliminate bezel as much as possible. So by blackening the area around it, you're essentially creating bezel thereby negating the purpose while simultaneously disabling pixels for no reason.
>Also, every content being pushed into those cutouts isn't a positive and not watching content full screen to avoid this isn't a positive either.
Maybe you're getting early-onset dementia. We've already talked about this. I've already addressed it. I'm not going to repeat myself.
I'll say this; the ears beside the notch are to be treated as tiny secondary displays which showcase status and not much else. They can disappear whenever not in use, like when watching video. There's no downside to this method of design.

>not watching content full screen to avoid this isn't a positive either.
when watching video while zoomed out on an iphone x compared to, say, an iphone 7, it's easy to see that the video real estate remains the same between both displays despite the x's display being bigger. so you're not losing any real estate for video, but you're also not gaining any either. it's a lateral move. video stays the same but all other forms of interface now have more room to breathe. how are you not comprehending this?

>Maybe you're getting early-onset dementia. We've already talked about this. I've already addressed it
I know this, but I also don't have telepathic abilities to know who of 17 posters here I'm replying to. I don't have anything else to say.

I don't get why people hate the notch, you still get overall more screenspace since you can have the info to the left and right of the notch.

Exactly. The ears serve a legitimate purpose while the rest of the content sits below. The notch can be a bit intrusive in landscape mode, but that's extremely easy to work around with intuitive design or just outright ignore if it's not a functional problem.
The notch is good design.

It's still there when you pull down the Control Center in iOS and the Notification Shade in Android.