Q2VKPT is the first playable game that is entirely raytraced and efficiently simulates fully dynamic lighting in...

>Q2VKPT is the first playable game that is entirely raytraced and efficiently simulates fully dynamic lighting in real-time, with the same modern techniques as used in the movie industry (see Disney's practical guide to path tracing). The recent release of GPUs with raytracing capabilities has opened up entirely new possibilities for the future of game graphics, yet making good use of raytracing is non-trivial. While some games have started to explore improvements in shadow and reflection rendering, Q2VKPT is the first project to implement an efficient unified solution for all types of light transport: direct, scattered, and reflected light (see media).

>This project is meant to serve as a proof-of-concept for computer graphics research and the game industry alike, and to give enthusiasts a glimpse into the potential future of game graphics. Besides the use of hardware-accelerated raytracing, Q2VKPT mainly gains its efficiency from an adaptive image filtering technique that intelligently tracks changes in the scene illumination to re-use as much information as possible from previous computations.

>Q2VKPT is implemented in the Vulkan API to be able to use the new hardware-accelerated raytracing features that were made available earlier this year. Thanks to these, the game can actually come close to 60 FPS (2560x1440, RTX2080Ti), while being fully raytraced and dynamically shaded with realistic global lighting models in real-time.

brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/
github.com/cschied/q2vkpt/
youtu.be/vrq1T93uLag

Thoughts?

Attached: Q2VKPT.jpg (2558x1438, 1001K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SrF4k6wJ-do
brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/#faq
youtube.com/watch?v=LAsnQoBUG4Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Still looks like something my Voodoo 2 would have put out.

this would be amazing for old half-life mods like natural selection or even 2003 leaked hl2!

wonder how he did it easily

Neat. Port it to Godot.

Who cares? Everyone knows how to write a raytracer, how is this proof of concept of anything?

fuck off mate, people like OP should be given good support otherwise big companies and publishers will shove games like bf sjw edition down our throats, we need more people to do this so we can have good modability and emulation in the future.

fuck you cunt.

Make quake 1 Ray Traced and then we can talk. Also, a list of open source games that need a ray traced implementation before I even consider RTX:
>RTCW
>Jedi Knight 2 and Academy
>Doom
>OpenMW
And if Gothic DX11 Can exist I don't see why Gothic VKPTY can't.

what the fuck are you talking about?
Doom was raytraced
Nvidia's GPU raytracing isn't fast enough to do full raytracing on a modern game, so what does this demo have to do with everything?
I bet people like you think raytracing was invented last year

0/10
no it doesn't

>>Doom
THE ORIGINAL GAME WAS RAYTRACED

Attached: 0cbpdjii3pa11.png (645x729, 105K)

all this shows me is how well existing games cheat realistic lighting

the original game used ray casting

I meant in opengl/vulkan dudes. I want gzdoom to finally fucking look as good as software rendering. Should have specified.

Ok, this is cute and all, but we're still 50 years away from lighting that doesn't look uncanny.

This. If the fake lighting looks just as good as the real one while giving you 5x better performance then I'll take it. Video games have always been about abusing lots of graphical tricks to get higher framerates or unique artstyles.

Casted not traced

something's fucked there. It's definitely not fully raytraced.

if you look at the lighting in the corridor at 2:05, you don't see any changes when he opens the door, for instance.

either the materials have an inherent luminosity (why though?) or they're cheating (very badly at that).

the explosions and all that are nice though. but the ambient light definitely isn't completely raytraced.

It's just so jarring seeing some nice scenes mixed with such shit.

same shit except you're bouncing more rays, how would that make a fucking difference in Doom, a game that is lit per-sector

use a sourceport that is software rendered then

nice, we're back in the 90s, I hope it won't take another 20 years for raytraced games to look good.

>something's fucked there. It's definitely not fully raytraced.
thats because the RTX is too slow to fully raytrace a scene

nah, 15 years max

>You can finally raytrace a game that looks like Quake 3 but only get 60FPS on a $1000+ USD graphics card

lmao

This user is correct. Also, check out this video

youtube.com/watch?v=SrF4k6wJ-do

I am glad they picked the best Quake game.

Attached: quake_2_crackwhore.jpg (300x225, 4K)

>Games already look real today! Why would they use path tracing?
>Today's games have taken the capabilities of traditional rasterization-based graphics very far. However, these advancements come with a price: The rendering engines of modern games have become extremely complex heaps of special-purpose techniques. Lighting, shadows and reflections each have to be computed at many different resolutions and scales, in order to ensure an acceptably artifact-free visual experience. Path tracing and other Monte Carlo Rendering techniques could open up a way out of this ever-growing complexity. In fact, it has already achieved that for the movie industry. This prototype is a first step towards answering a few of the open questions on how to accomplish the same in the games industry.
brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/#faq

Attached: Screenshot.png (1146x764, 1.69M)

>he plays indie gayme cancer
found the soiboy plebbitor

problem you cuck? natural selection was at one point the most played mod after tfc you shitstain and its an awesome game

reddit tier plebs wish they could have experienced those days of 30k concurrent players.

i only visit reddit for worldnews and science, you probably go to /sci/ even though its infested with niggers and neckbeards

return there and don't come back

That's really neat, but would raytracing have made pacman more entertaining?

>beyond Turing
Not watching that, but you can accelerate path tracing with RTX, too. You can bounce as many rays off an intersection as you like and sum up their contributions.

u wish kid, I've been here since 2006

Hell, you could even do photon mapping. RTX is just a relatively fast way to ray test a BVH and then spawn more rays. You can start them from anywhere, point them in any direction, perform any kind of computation upon an intersection, and spawn as many as you like.

>natural selection was at one point the most played mod after tfc
Thanks for making me feel old

Thanks for the video user!

non-cancer version
youtube.com/watch?v=LAsnQoBUG4Q

PS: That's probably why it's not as fast as it could be. One ray = one thread. Scheduling all those threads on SIMD GPU cores is probably a nightmare. The flexibility is great for non interactive applications but for interactive and real time applications I suspect a lot of speed gains will come from the ability to give the driver more information about how the rays will be used. I reckon that a more or less fixed schedule that also leverages spatial coherence (putting rays that are close together in the same warp) could be a lot faster.

That's assuming a lot of things about the architecture that I don't know about, though.

Please go fuck yourself