/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420), quadcore compatible, classic keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/T530; W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1547722289247.jpg (4608x3072, 1.18M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/202568334898
ebay.com/itm/272933823484
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pls resbond

battery life on the X200 is at least 1 hour. what to do?

second for shotas

Attached: IMG_1389.jpg (4032x3024, 993K)

you buy a new battery?

>using the same op image again

>Shotas
Into the trash desu

Attached: 1547848249544235.jpg (2328x1746, 778K)

Buy a new one, capacity might have tanked - check that.

50 bucks on ebay. lol

Anyone else realize that the loss of swappable batteries isn't really a big deal? Instead of being stuck with lenovos proprietary crap you can just get a power bank. when the power bank cant hold a charge any more you can buy new li-ion batterys to put in it for $15. you can easily charge the bank when not in use and charge other devices with it too.

Attached: 1459829445514.png (469x331, 15K)

I've been repeating that past few threads but nobody seems to care, I also think that usb-c and external powerbanks are a much superior solution.

i've bought 3 from itrepairshop for $22 and they last 5ish on hours on light browsing

check the number of cores in each processor. if its the same number of cores then their performance is comparable probably

check the number of ram slots in each one

check the screen quality

you can use chink batteries if you dont wanna buy lelnovos though, powerbanks are a hassle because you have to carry that around and charge it

The microphone on my e480 killed itself today. Is this a common problem?

you still have to carry around batteries
batteries are way more awkward to fit in a laptop case too

Aren’t actually part of the laptop so kinda makes them a pain in the ass. Also if you try to pull full load from a powerbank it’s going to dip HARD

titanic redpill for me, thanks

Attached: redpill_pepe.png (600x600, 7K)

Is T440s i7 12GB 256SSD FHD worth $230? I just don't want to bother upgrading shit anymore.

But chink lenovo battery can only be charged with a lenovo laptop and can only provide charge to that lenovo laptop, powerbank can be charged with just about any micro usb or usb c charger and with usb c it can provide charge to just about any usb device you can think of, powerbank is way more versatile than a chink battery for one specific type of laptop.

removable batteries hardly add much in terms of size though. the main difference in newer machines is that companies use flat cells instead of 18650s but these can still bne made removable by adding a plate on the bottom that can un click or come off with 2 screws like ram covers. It's better to have a choice than to be confined to one option. if there was a usb laptop with a removable battery you could still use a powerbank to charge

Attached: kanna thinkpad.png (802x1129, 851K)

>But chink lenovo battery can only be charged with a lenovo laptop
thats a non argument the machines internal battery can only be charged by the laptop. theres no reason laptops couldn't have removable batteries and usb c ports

guys uhhh i want an ultraportable (13 inches or less) with the following reqs:

> can run matlab, latex and maybe even [spoiler]fortnite[/spoiler]
> can take 16gb of ram
> nice screen
> good battery life
> parts dont cost a ton
> less than 300usd

ebay.com/itm/202568334898

^ will this do it?? It's an X230. Looks like its parts are expensive, though.

There are new thinkpads with both usb-c and swappable batteries and I understand what you mean but in context of chink batteries it probably means a battery for an older thinkpad with no usb-c charging so my point still stands.

I can pick up a seemingly clean x240 for 200 usd with a 120gig ssd and 4gigs of ram it this a worthwhile deal or should I look for something else? I’ll be using it mostly just to lane notes and shit in college.

Is it possible to add audiophile card to old thinkpad for jack listening music?

fourth threat with nobody helping me, thanks guys.

once again, can i put a 1080 touch/1440/4k panel in my t470?

you dont want touch on a non 2in1 machine it's extremely annoying to use

Attached: 5aa1db52c58226a2f362e685ce0f0edbc53de54e3f9e7801771ae689269c20e9.jpg (1137x640, 33K)

touch is shit.
> gloss screen
> more complexity
> autistic gimmick

also u suck

Some newer Thinkpads have matte touch screens.

Different user here, never heard of that site before. Seems like they have some cool stuff, thanks man.

Attached: 1530865717387-v.jpg (600x750, 76K)

no problem user. i bought from their ebay shop not from their website. wish they had x220 batteries though

You know laptops are supposed to be portable right?

>touch
But why?

interactive 2d girls become more immersive

do you know how much electricity do you consume with a t420 in a year

How do y'all like the x131e i3-3227u edition?
I mentioned in the previous thread that I had a x131e Celeron. Going to move for the 6 gb and HDD I already have.

> T420 lasts 9 hours on its biggest battery which is 8400mAh
> Say it really lasts around 8 hours.
> Around 1 amp continous draw
> USA Wall AC is 120vrms
> Around 120 Watts

Bought this today. I’m a student who doesn’t game or edit. I mainly use microsoft word and chrome, with a couple rainmeter apps.

did I fuck up? is this over kill? is this just right?

-i5 8250
-8gb ram
-256 PCIe SSD

forgot pic

Attached: 0BAD3FFF-D15C-4621-AA74-10A48F0A583C.jpg (1242x1786, 273K)

Watts is not a unit of energy, it’s a unit of power.

Also 1A draw is at like 11VDC or something not 120VAC

Hey guys, if I buy an X230 without Bluetooth, is it possible to add BT to it via this chip?

ebay.com/itm/272933823484

Thanks

yes

Is the ThinkPad P1 a good buy (what's the battery life like)? What's the battery life like on the ThinkPad X1 Carbon with 4K screen? Are the Lenovo ThinkPads any good or was ThinkPad only good under IBM?

Alright guys, I'm considering buying a X230 but I'm a little scared that it's going to be awful to use because of how small it is.

Attached: 1535151680834.jpg (793x786, 52K)

How is carrying powerbank any different than carrying extra batteries?

>are lenovo thinkpads any good?

you came to the wrong neighborhood, son

go for it dude. if you don't like you can always resell it and maybe even make a little profit

my hands are huge and my x270 is fine to type on

Alright thanks you two, I was considering just going with a T450 instead but given that I can get the X230 for quite a bit cheaper and the size is not as bad as I was imagining, I think I'll go with that (after another night of endless resarch...)

X230 owner here. The keyboard is pretty much the same as any other ThinkPad keyboard. The screen is small so you can't really multitask with multiple programs on the screen very well. 16:9 is also pretty shit, but good enough for spreadsheets, emails, and web browsing on the go. The 1366x768 resolution is also fairly sharp on a 12 inch screen.

Attached: 7cwh3vu6l7bz.jpg (400x300, 22K)

I've recently got an x230, and I noticed that the left half of the plastic part of the lid feels very flimsy compared to the right half. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-18-22-50-08.png (1440x2560, 2.06M)

Also posted a screenshot because the original file was too big.

just bought an x230. Only problem is the seller doesnt know if its ips or tn

It was cheap enough that ill just buy an ips display if it isn't ips as is.

Does anyone know where to get a cheap IPS panel for it? (Stock, not the 1080p mod)

Best price I've found is 58usd

22 each or for all?

I ordered a T480s :3

each. brand new too

>have x220
>get cheap dell mouse
>YoU hAve tO InStalL DeLl UnifYing soFtware
>driver is only for windows
>cant use wireless mouse
>stuck with this piece of shit trackpad
>stop being productive and watch shit youtube videos
please help me
anyone had an issue like this?
i heard someone reverse engineered a logitech software like this but it has issues that have not been solved.

Attached: shutterstock_569555101.jpg (500x334, 20K)

I have a logitech wireless mouse from 2010 and that dongle works without drivers; second best mouse I've ever owned

glad to hear that.
i mean why wouldnt a plug and play device wouldnt work? i already tried different ports and my mouse is paired. ubuntu sees it only as a dell product though. I used lsusb

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 413c:301b Dell Computer Corp.

What's the first?

>chrome
>8gb ram

Sounds about right.

Although I'm pretty sure you don't need an i5 and an ssd for this. Just install lightweight linux distro and use google docs or something (which can export to docx files)

idk memes i guess

obviously a 1440 or 4k would be better
but if 1080 touch is all i can get, why not

a man of class and patrician taste.

Attached: 1465379037500.gif (500x379, 988K)

It's me idab. Please link discord.

Attached: images(30).jpg (300x168, 7K)

are wireless mouse supposed to be plug and play on any distro regardless of laptop?

>Any distro

Obviously not

>Any good distro

Yes

The touch panels greatly reduce screen quality.

is ubuntu supposed to be good? its using 2gb idle and fucking sucks when i have to run android studio

I use fedora, but 2gb idle isn't even that high.

You shouldn't be using a laptop with less than 8gb of ram in 2019.

but if its 1080p its the same quality..... how can 1080p look worse than 1080p?

i agree, you could also blame android studio for being a clunky piece of shit

anyway, the only fucking place where it tells you how to pair a mouse and the dell dongle correctly was by installing it on a windows computer and the dell unifying software tells you how to do it, which was turn on and hold a button for 3 seconds.
WHAT THE FUCK WHY ISNT THAT SIMPLE THING JUST DOCUMENTED SOMEWHERE

>images(30).jpg

A touch screen has a touch panel over the display. Look closely and you see the little dots.

I'm in fact idab

Attached: IMG_20181116_124249.jpg (2448x3264, 1.35M)

Have fun getting clickjacked you absolute mongrel

Anyone here done the T430 FHD upgrade? I ordered the adapter and an original screen, hoping the flickering thing isn't an issue anymore... Can't find much info from others who have done it.

That happens because a tab broke off, a bit of epoxy will make it as good as new. But honestly what a retarded design decision from lenovo, why couldn't the lid be one part like in the t series.

Just ordered an X230 as my first thinkpad.
Did I do good?

Sweaty, it lets me kno when a device is trying to use my dongle

Unless it s ubuntu

Could've gotten by with 100 x230. The e series is flimsy and overall not acceptable for long term useability (in terms of repairing, upgrading)

Enjoy the flickering, still a problem.

yoga and carbon look cool but are they up to spec with more traditional thinkpads? how is linux on them?

Just got a t430, threw KDE Neon onto it, and it's doing something which I've never seen a laptop do. It suspends when I tilt the screen too far back.

Has anyone else here have this happen? It isn't shutting off, and isn't that the screen is crapping out suddenly - it's just suspending. I can hit the power button and it's back to normal.

I'll also add, it doesn't seem to happen when I tilt it forward, and it doesn't always happen when I tilt it back either. So it seems like some sort of hardware thing, but what the hell kind of problem could it be that's making it suspend? That's not something I'd expect as a fault.

So my x220 mobo's just croaked. Is X240 or X250 still /tpg/? Somebody on the internet told me stay away from X240 and buy X250 instead.

the reason you dont buy the x240 is because
> 1 stick of ram, capped at 8gb
> entire trackpad is 1 big button, with clicks determined by finger position. very annoying to use

the x250 has the ram issue.

x260 and later they're both fixed and xseries is okay again.

How obnoxious is it? The 1600x900 screen really sucks for viewing angles, but I'm not sure I'd rather have the flickering. That sucks.

8gb is enough ram and the x240 trackpad can be upgraded for $12 to the x250 model.

If you can find an x240 in mint condition under $180 it's a GREAT buy.

i fell for the meme and bought a X230 with a 3rd gen mobile i7 to replace my 14" dell latitude with a 4th gen mobile i7 (more like a DULL latitude). i did it because i wanted a smaller computer with a matte screen

did i get memed?? please say no....

Attached: 1466164176787.png (882x758, 15K)

what the fuck do you even do with these ancient thinkpads that can barely play a youtube video?

whats the discord i wanna join

>man

>can barely play a youtube video?
How would you know, and what laptop are you referring to?

???
These are top quality laptops, what are you talking about?

obviously i'm not referring to those

Anything x230/T430 or newer is fine for 99% of people as a daily driver.

No you don't it's just a bunch of mentally ill trannies larping as people with IT jobs even though they're just NEET degenerates.

Thanks for the rebly.

8gb ram is enough for and in fact I haven't upgraded any of my computers above that.

So based on what you guys said, I've decided to buy x260 if I can find priced around $200. If not then hope for a FHD x240 then swap trackpad

Attached: 1538786646879.png (500x505, 285K)