/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: teaching.jpg (600x570, 251K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/facebook/zstd
g2deal.com/windows-10-professional-32-64-bit.html?___store=au&acc=39&cy=aud&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj4biBRC-ARIsAA4WaFjC_jlw8uBXhVoBaYjl8zg_2GFkS1_FqfYSV_HLKF4JkINR3HVB5SYaAlwAEALw_wcB
removeandreplace.com/2017/07/04/how-to-remove-headphone-jack-that-broke-off-in-phone/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I hope the cutie reading this is doing okay

I'm doing fine, thanks.

How do I into regex filters on 4chanx? These tiktok threads and shit are awful and I need them to go and stay go.

Would anyone have some idea as to why Appchan X doesn't load on some boards. It works fine on /b/ for instance, but not on /wsg/ or Jow Forums and it's a pain in the ass.

thats a really cute shota

What's a good windows serach tool? Preferably open-source and not adware shit

Isnt that grossly abandoned and outdated?
Did it update since the domain split?

Anyone knows what's Gonzales Update is? I know it connected to bit defender but what does it do?

Lets say i use a x4 SSD in a x2 slot, i know the sequential R/W speeds will be affected but what about IOPS?

I have everything I need to build my first PC except the graphics card that supposed to come in next weekend. Can I put everything together now and run it just to set things up? Can I just use the graphics on the i3 8100 chip I have

Attached: 964024A9-F9F7-4A1B-BC64-18DE19A4717F.jpg (611x613, 150K)

>i3 8100
Why would you ever buy that when the Ryzen 2200G exists which is cheaper and better?

You could also have bought the R5 2600 for $30-40 which is way better.

Why is it that if I plug a USB device (say, a flash drive) into a *nix machine, it starts working practically instantly, but on Windows I must wait for drivers to install?

I got the 8100 on sale, it was $50 Anyways, can I run the computer without a GPU for now?

Because windows sucks and reinstalls the drivers every time a device is connected.

And the 2200G is $80-90 so not really worth it, together that the fact that AM4 motherboards are cheaper.

Yes, just connect your monitor to your motherboard HDMI/Displayport/DVI.

Is it possible to create a simple login and registration system in C that could register multiple users? And how should I go about it?
It's for a project.

Thank you.

Is there ANY decent tech-related podcast besides The WAN Show and Security Now? Seriously, the last two I listened turned out to be very 'social justicy'

Attached: SHIELDS UP.png (500x380, 458K)

How do I overclock my 1700x?

What's a good anti virus? I got some adware shit and probably other shit as well

Ryzen master, your motherboard BIOS.

Adwcleaner + Malwarebytes.
uBlock Origin.
Microsoft Autorun.
Common sense.

Facebook states it uses "zstd" to compress its data for storage.But facebook's media is already compressed data,how are they netting such high compression rates?(Even using expensive compression that takes considerably more time to compress)
github.com/facebook/zstd

Attached: CSpeed2.png (1325x741, 72K)

Posted yesterday that I had stolen two Macbooks. Opened them up and one was FUBAR.. the other one looks like it might be fine, but I'll see when my charger gets here. Assuming it works, how do I reset the OS?

with all due respect tsunanon, how many fucking safe shota pics do you have?!

Are you suppose to take notes when you learn to code ? First year of college.

Middle out compression

I know this is better suited for biz but they don't have a /sqt/. Question: Is Forkdelta still using the Etherdelta smart contract and if so, what's the hold up and when are they planning on switching over?

Attached: Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 8.46.44 PM.png (2400x1599, 705K)

Is there something that instead of just removing the file pointers allowing them to be overwritten physically deletes the files?

So this computer i just got has the 120gb ssd as the default install point for windows, not the 2tb hdd
this makes the directories in pic related use the storage from the ssd and not the hdd, do i have to reinstall windows or is there a manual setting to make the directories in pic related draw storage from the hdd instead?

Attached: file.png (122x141, 6K)

bleachbit has an option to do this(windows)
boot a linux usb and use shred

I want to create a questionare type thing.
like 16personalities.com but I'm not trying to create a personality test.
Bascially the user inputs stuff on a website, the inputs are passed to a program, and then the output is displayed on a website.
I don't know much about web development, so I was wondering if I am basically restricted to use something like javascript or python to do the logic, or can I use whatever I want, because I should be able to pass the input from the website into a program from any language?
I'm not concerned with the web part of this for now, I currently just want to create a program that takes the results and gives you an output, but I don't want to have to re-write the logic in another language when I finally get around to implementing this on a website.
So what language should I use, and/or could I use any language?

Thanks

Sure, you could just write to memory/or write to file and then read from file and maybe use sql server
You could do this in many things, it dosn't really matter

You want to install programs on the ssd. You want the system drive to be on the ssd.
You should change your user folder to be on the hhd
So
Documents
Videos
Games
etc you should move to the hhd.
There is an option somewhere that lets you designate the hdd as the folder for all of your user shit.

How might I go about learning to solder? What might I practice on?

Why does my monitor go to black for a second when I shut down the ceiling fan or when I connect a phone charger?

My house was built in the 1880s, with wiring made in 1910, and upgraded in the early 70s and late 90s.

Anything.
First buy a 60-90w iron that comes with a flat tip.
>What is wrong with the round/pointy ones
They suck, more for beginners.
Or buy a 936 or 937 solder station
Buy flux that isnt Chinese.
Go wild with anything that has been damaged before in your house, phones, laptops, any device you wanted to trow away.

No idea, what are the alternatives out there? I just like the little features it has.

>just like the little features it has.
Are you sure 4chanx dosent have those same features?

Does anyone know any kind of chrome or firefox addon that would let me put little bookmark icons next to to the address bar. I'm used to small laptop monitors, so I hate wasting screen space on toolbars, and I can't find anything like what I want.

Attached: Example.png (504x200, 8K)

I need to set-up an XLR mic to my pioneer DDJ-RB. Should I buy an audio interface and wire that into the mic input on the cdj? or will an XLR to 1/4" jack have enough power for the mic (mic is a shure SM58 btw)

g2deal.com/windows-10-professional-32-64-bit.html?___store=au&acc=39&cy=aud&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj4biBRC-ARIsAA4WaFjC_jlw8uBXhVoBaYjl8zg_2GFkS1_FqfYSV_HLKF4JkINR3HVB5SYaAlwAEALw_wcB
do i need a disk drive for this to work or will it work as an activation key i can type in

I believe the tip from my headphones jack broke off inside my laptop. How do I wedge it back out?

Attached: _87572722_trsjack624v4.jpg (624x400, 22K)

Is there any technology that reduces the refractory period?

I was given a Wacom Intuos graphic tablet. How do I get good at this?

Attached: intuos-test.png (1914x1026, 227K)

Go to actual location of each folder, Right click > Properties > Location > Move

Nope, just drugs.

removeandreplace.com/2017/07/04/how-to-remove-headphone-jack-that-broke-off-in-phone/

I wouldn't try the hot glue one.

thanks

I'm just gonna buy some plastic tweezers.

Is there a way to run 4chanx + oneechan on Firefox or Chrome Android?

Clover sucks.

Attached: 1547260144137.webm (400x480, 2.87M)

Yes, the same way its been working together for years.

Goal: I want to write some scripts to automate some of my office work.

Situation: I have no programming/scripting experience. Thinking of learning python to automate shit. Locked down work PC (windows), most of my work involves working with excel, word, and PDFs (many scanned, some not) in two languages (Japanese and English, mostly Japanese.). Lots of analysis, but also lots of standard wording with small differences that should be easy enough to automate. So what I'd like to do is move some of the more routine files with no confidential info to a personal laptop and automate some of the more tedious tasks.

Question: I understand apparently windows is shit for programming, and both linux and mac are superior. Linux is probably generally the best. In my case, though, I need access to the office suite to edit work files and wine sounds like an unnecessary level of complexity. Should I still go with linux, or go with mac? Or maybe even windows? (My main work computer is windows, and afaik there are some differences between win and mac office versions, not sure how much of an issue these could be)

tl;dr - does it make sense to macfag if automating microsoft office shit?

Attached: macfaggotry.jpg (640x240, 46K)

Do you guys know of any good text adventure games you can play on the linux terminal?

is driver booster a legitimate way to update my drivers or is it meme bloatware? if the latter, whats a decent program to check which drivers need updating?

You can code on windows its not gonna be a problem. If you have no programming experience yes learn python automation. Pirate some nice books and learn that shit.

i'm not sure why windows is so slow to do it, but i can understand why linux is so fast
for every device linux supports, there is at least some builtin component of the driver which is always in the kernel image, so the kernel can recognize devices and know which modules it needs to load for them
idk why windows takes it's sweet time to 'install' say, a usb keyboard the first time, then it's quick for subsequent times, unless you use another usb port. what does it even do? why can't it just load a module like linux does?

brand new out of the box gpu is idling at 50c with no games open, how do i pinpoint the issue?

Attached: file.png (465x63, 7K)

What kind of cable is this? It looks like some weird double microUSB.

Attached: cable.jpg (800x800, 83K)

I was making a bunch of google accounts to bypass API limitations and they eventually flagged my phone number and won't let me make any more. Does this limitation go away or will I never be able to use my phone number to make another google account now for as long as I live?

And yeah I know there are workarounds, but just curious if eventually they'll lift the restriction so I won't need to use such things.

Attached: file.png (805x714, 172K)

Micro USB 3.0.

It's a terrible monstrosity of a connector, pain in the ass to plug in, and very fragile.

It's the main reason why I went USB-C for everything and will never look back.

How come it's almost always used for external HD?

The alternative is full size B. You don't want to see a 3.0 B connector.

How can I figure out exactly what kind of developer I want to be?

I've been messing around with all kinds of random shit for years but I always start something new before getting anywhere useful. The issue is I don't know exactly what I wanna do, I just like doing everything

I want to focus and learn things properly so I can actually get a job when I graduate but not sure

Is there any way to get mosiac working for 3 monitor gaming on ubuntu or lubuntu without the entire nvidia driver exploding and corrupting a fuckload of shit with it? Multimonitor is fine, but getting back to 5760x1080 gaming is making me want to stab myself.

I've got two external HDDs - but as far as I can tell, Windows 7's Backup will only allow me to automatically backup to one of them.
What software would you recommend for multiple backups? AOMEI?

Attached: 1420800542029.jpg (638x479, 53K)

I can "feel" my Apple devices charging, what might cause this?
When I charge my phone or MacBook and I run my finger over the aluminum surface the finger "jitters" over it.
When it's not plugged in I can just run my finger over the surface and it feels smooth.

hey bros! how could one recover potentially damaged cds and dvds? i have bunch of raws i ripped from dv camera as a kid but i did not deinterlace them cuz i didn't know how but now that i want to archive them they don't seem to work. i mean once a file is copied from a dvd it stops right before it's done copying and does not progress any further. i guess i could dump raw bits or some shit on my drive and then turn it into something i could use but i'm not familiar with how to do it. any of you have experience with this stuff?

I'm fed up of running a 20m Ethernet cord from my bedroom to the router in the kitchen. What should I consider when choosing a wlan card for my desktop? In Australia if that changes anything.

Attached: 1505194292661.gif (320x179, 1.39M)

>Is it possible to create a simple login and registration system in C that could register multiple users?
Does your OS allow you to sign in and create users? It's probably done in C. It's possible but it depends on how you want things setup. Do you just want some basic proof of concept thing to teach you some basic C programming or are you actually trying to make a real program?

C programs are usually entirely on a person's computer which would normally include any user database and passwords you have. Without a lot of special precautions even dummies could just look at data files to see people's passwords. Even if you were a bit smarter about things some basic reverse engineering of the program would usually allow anyone to bypass password restrictions (this is why pirated software is literally everywhere). So if you're actually trying to do a real thing, this password thing isn't going to be actually secure, more just a deterrent.

Is the stuff about Jow Forums-x being a botnet true?

Build your own data transfer setup with flashlights and light sensors.
It can't possibly make your connection any slower.

ahahah that was HILARIOUS god i love tech jokes xD here have this gold

>Getting mad at internet shitposts
I'm not going to help you just because of that

>implying i'm the one who asked

Attached: trolling expression face why are you mad?.png (657x600, 58K)

Help me instead

No, it's not a botnet.
You can read the source. As well as see which domains it contacts if you use umatrix, aka none. Except for github occasionally for updates.
It's safe.

Oh and the archive pages. It also grabs stuff from those.

Alright cheers. I'll trust you
i'm somewhat paranoid but not knowledgeable enough to check the code (or other things) for myself

that being said, it's the greasemonkey script i'm talking about
the standalone firefox add-on is a literal botnet

>not knowledgeable enough to check the code
I don't believe that.
If you open up the source in *monkey you'll find that a lot of it is pretty self explanatory.

I've got a "technical test" for a PHP developer position next tuesday.
What exactly are asked in these test (in your experience)?
what should i prepare for?
I've take some "test" for other jobs before, but they weren't as high paid as this one, and those were mostly pseudo-code based (written test), framework oriented (on site test but on my own) or a general take home project.

>install LTSB 2016
>use the MDL activator
>click 2 buttons
>AV didn't flag anything
>looks like Windows is activated
>remove the toolkit folder/file
>no trace of autoKMS anywhere on the system
Uuh, is that normal?

I'm stuck with this old laptop for some time in near future. Don't know what to use: w7 or w8.1 with classic shell? I need windows for work sadly. I heard people say 8.1 is just a better 7?

Attached: 15478455548770.png (566x423, 26K)

Any java people here?

I'm trying to "measure how long it takes" to insert different values into my list implementation for an assignment vs arraylist, would it be acceptable to get the difference between two calls of System.currentTimeMillis(); before and after the code?

Attached: dukenukem.jpg (480x360, 32K)

Nevermind my bad

I bought a Philips 27" 2k Monitor (272B8QJEB) a few months ago an notice a weird buzzing coming from it. At first I assumed it was coming from the speakers due to some shitty set up on my desktop. But I've tested it with a couple laptops and with volume at full and zero. Definitely from the screen itself. Doesn't bother me if I have music going but it's just loud enough to be annoying. It also seems to be louder when there's more white on the screen.

Anyone had anything similar, is this normal with some screens or should I return it?

So I've installed that and it seems good, although I'm not too keen on the lack of UI customisation. my eyes get strained unless the UI is black, dark blue or grey. I know I can do that with the dropdown box and change the theme, at the footer, but I don't want to do that for every thread I open.

Is there a way to run a graphical application through Xorg without a window manager? I want to be able to run mpv but don't need anything graphical other than that.

Attached: 1512502851978.jpg (600x398, 12K)

The latter, but you're gonna want to stick an SSD in there if at all possible.

late reply but thanks

Probably. Worst case, in 6 months you do it again.

Does anyone have a link to that Konqi Christmas video?

Windows built in backup is ass. Use Macrium reflect for system images, freefilesync for files and folders.

Nah I'm suicidal as always, sorry to disappoint

Could always configure the two drives in RAID 0 or JBOD so they appear as a single logical drive.

Posting here as because this thread seems to have more activity in comparison.
See Anyone got any ideas as to how to do fix or mess with this?

Attached: Screenshot_20171015-182836.jpg (83x76, 4K)

I just got an email from Google that my dkim failed.
How do I know what certificate it is referring or what do I need to fix this.
I haven't touched my mail server in a while so I don't remember any of that stuff.