Is th

is th

Attached: DxGq4NYW0AAoUsW.jpg (639x549, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/meetingcpp/status/1078732469350944770
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sometimes the debugger is flaming garbage

source: am Progress Openedge 4gl Dev

Most debuggers suck fat turds

I've often found people that use debuggers constantly often times don't understand what they are doing to begin with thus requiring a debugger.

>constantly often

>Being this mad about grammar
Nice reply.

Just found it funny. What do you use instead of a debugger? If i cant fix something by inspection or just a single print statement, I typically move onto a debugger.

I can understand why you say that user.
But there were a few times that I realized a debugger would be easier for my situation. It happens

keked

I just set conditional breakpoints in visual studio. Is that considered a debugger?

I do enterprise java dev and i can't understand any of the replies here. IDEA has a great debugger, so does chrome and I don't know anyone that uses a debugger without knowing how it works or why they're doing so

>so does chrome
Can anyone explain to me why you need a debugger for a fucking webbrowser?

Attached: 2gk2dihvbax11.jpg (821x533, 61K)

99% of the time I'll use a debugger because it can tell you variables in scope, values, do evaluations in the middle of code and a ton more. 1% is I'm lazy and have it open in some text file because it's a small bug, so I'll just print.

Every try using a Java debugger? Nice lols

Visual studio debugger is god tier. That's the benefit of proprietary systems though.

Get your proprietary garbage off this board faggot

You're on a proprietary non free image board with one of the most radical censor panels on the internet. Neck yourself

The real trick is to make a unit test, and then printf debug in the unit test. You can add a print statement and then re-run it in a second. And then at the end, you have a working unit test that you can keep around.

I never knew how to use debuggers. GDB is fucking gay

He's write though.

are there any good debuggers for php? any good debugging practices? i'm aware that xdebug exists, but i haven't used it very much outside of the nifty var_dump.

I can't be bothered to remember my own data structures, so I log them or print them out before processing them.

Because beta numale faggot koders build shitty webapps that run everything client side

>I've often found people that use debuggers constantly
>often times don't understand what they are doing

I only go back to printf-style debugging in two situations:
1) when the firmware only fits the uC in release build.
2) when the debugger interferes with the testing of low-power modes.

In many cases, yes, because that allows you to figure out how the value changes easier. With a debugger, you'd need to do the thing, look at the debugger, make a note, continue execution, do the thing again, go to the debugger,...

this
you should avoid it and try debugging in human conditions

>all the people itt shitting on debuggers
Thanks for confirming once again that Jow Forums has never made anything more complex than FizzBuzz.

printf() is good enough for Ken Thomson

I hate using Valgrind because often there's something that could be considered an error but it's coming from a library you're using and you don't know if it's:
a) a false positive
b) an issue with the way you're using a routine
c) an actual bug in the library

Yes, that's a feature of the Visual Studio debugger.

Attached: 1546190193025.jpg (800x450, 151K)

user. It's not an uncommon opinion.
I don't agree with it but right now C++ committee siding people are arguing against debuggers as worth dealing with in C++.
twitter.com/meetingcpp/status/1078732469350944770

Now arguably people here suggest printf. While these people would suggest extensive logging and program tracing (I'm expecting). And these people are also making this concession for dishonest reasons. Debugging C++ is SLOW because of all the garbage abstractions they throw into the language that need to be boiled away for it not to be horrid. Helpful debugging flags for your compiler just kills your ability to run the program essentially.

Attached: Screenshot_20190119-131124~01.png (1080x746, 118K)

Printing text to trace errors is like a binary search when you think about it. Let's say you segfault and have an idea where the problem lies so you place a print statement around there, then just divide and conquer until you find the offending code. Doesn't have to be text either, you could just halt the program instead of print.

I guess debuggers achieve the same goal with breakpoints but in a more sophisticated way.

Attached: 1543646474228.jpg (438x438, 18K)

Hey buddy! Im supporting an IBM informix 4GL system

Its shit

Do you work for Digia?

UNIT TESTS

>"got here"
Holy fucking kek I've done this

I programmed for 5 years without knowing what a debugger was.

Attached: 69739758.jpg (1087x779, 223K)

As far as im aware that is the only one that exists. I've tried it and it's pretty ok to use. Altought to be honest i never found a need for a debugger in PHP unless you are fighting some homemade framework from hell.

When using Laravel for example the dd helper function is good enough to get an understanding of what is happening.

>c) an actual bug in the library
It's usually that.

Just write your shit correctly the first time lmao

Good luck with that. Numale retard coders have ruined the entire concept of unit tests with all their shit mocking libraries and some retarded idea that 'unit' = 'one single method'. When I'm stuck debugging code, it's usually someone else's code, and all of the 'tests' are 'passing' even though the code doesn't work. Then when you change any of the code for any reason, all of the tests break because of excessive mocks and 'muh 100% kode koverage' even if the behavior of the code did not change.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kent Beck style unit tests....but I never find myself fixing code that has them.

>I do enterprise java dev
I have two questions for you:
>how many sexual partners does your wife have?
>do you shit anywhere you want?

The virgin debugger
The Chad #ifdef DEBUG printf()

The only debugger I've used is the visual studio one and its works really nice. Why people wouldn't use it I can't understand.

My debugger is printf

Attached: tenor.gif (220x127, 46K)

>printf
Why print instead of assert?

print doesnt crash your program and works in release build

>unless you are fighting some homemade framework from hell
bingo

all objects I care about, I write `std::string Object::dump()`

`$ gdb ./prog
> bt
... Find function taking in object
> select-frame [frame number]
> info args
> call (void)printf("%s\n", obj.dump())

There's gotta be a better way

That feel bro...

Not Digia, but an American company that acquired a very old remittance system using a 4gl client.

A debugger is objectively faster and provides more info than writing to console.