OpenBSD on laptops

Attached: Puffoil.jpg (681x1029, 568K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ethieda/t420-dotfiles
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11488879
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MirOS_BSD
phoronix.com/forums/forum/software/bsd-mac-os-x-hurd-others/34090-starch-linux-openbsd-atop-arch-s-linux-kernel
github.com/chneukirchen/obase
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I wouldn't recommend it. You'll get better drivers and power management with something like Ubuntu.

I just ordered a Grade A, refurbished Thinkpad T420 from NewEgg (30 minutes ago) for $150, and a new 7200RPM, 500GB WD Black for $50. This will be an OpenBSD machine.

Attached: ThinkPad T420.jpg (1280x1280, 480K)

>replace gnu utilities with bsd ones on ubuntu
i feel like god

Attached: think.jpg (800x742, 69K)

A quick web search suggests OpenBSD on a T420 with a hard drive is an excellent match.

It works fine. I've run it on 2 different Dell laptops. Worst case scenario, you simply swap the wifi card with a $15 supported wifi card.

Which BSD? They've diverged quite a bit.

BTW - That is such a goofy use of one's time and effort I doubt it's true.

Had OpenBSD in a X200s for a while, it was pretty comfy. I only had dwm, mupdf, clang, vi and ssh.

Attached: csm_lenovo_thinkpad_x200s_biegung_copy_03_a8ee46aa9b.jpg (1920x864, 298K)

>BTW - That is such a goofy use of one's time and effort I doubt it's true.
its 100% Pure Shitposting™ as bsd syscalls are (almost) completely different from linux's, which means its nearly impossible to do that

Fuck off with your shilling nigger

Attached: lolbsd.jpg (1280x720, 117K)

There used to be a GNU/kFreeBSD, if someone could make an OpenBSD/Linux, it'd be wonderful: all the shitty drivers made for GNU/Linux, but with an actually good userland.

>all the shitty drivers
Device drivers typically extend the kernel and [on x86] run in protection ring 0; code quality should be on par with the rest of the kernel.

Jow Forumsanitard, is that you?

Attached: Elim_Garak.jpg (417x406, 85K)

>OpenBSD on a T420
github.com/ethieda/t420-dotfiles

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11488879

I decided to do the research for you, OP.
MirOS Linux was almost a thing: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MirOS_BSD
Starch Linux was a thing: phoronix.com/forums/forum/software/bsd-mac-os-x-hurd-others/34090-starch-linux-openbsd-atop-arch-s-linux-kernel
obase is kind of a thing: github.com/chneukirchen/obase

>7200RPM, 500GB WD
slow as shit

Install Gentoo already. BSD is a meme.

That just means that porting libc and such would be difficult (but then again Google did it with Android). Actual utilities are written against libc and are effectively trivial to port. The fact that they use a different build system is far more hassle than the fact that they have different syscalls.

The volume keys work out of box, but I could not figure out how they are handled. Apparently kernel does that.
But that was years ago, maybe now I would be more successful with it.

I run openBSD on a Huawei Matebook X, everything works flawless
They even fixed the sound issue and submitted it upstream a month or two ago (which still exists on Linux btw)
Gentoo is literally the closest you can get to BSD while still using Linux, if anything it tries to embrace the meme you speak of

That's exactly my point. BSD kernels and lower-level userspace are shit and have no support. Gentoo combines the high-level stuff that makes BSD good with the well-established Linux base.

They have no support because they dont sign NDAs
FreeBSD signs NDAs, like Linux does, and their support is fine