/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: nekoboyuwu.jpg (528x700, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cracked.com/personal-experiences-2584-how-simple-contact-lens-mishap-can-destroy-your-eyeball.html
mediatek.com/products/digitalTv/mt5396
sammlung.staedelmuseum.de/de/werk/landschaft-mit-kanone-die-grosse-kanone
sidehustleschool.com/podcasts
podbay.fm/show/1188487073
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's the deal with anime? I grew up in southeast Europe, around computers, computer and console games and almost no one watched anime. On this board it's everywhere. Is it USA thing?

Attached: IMG_20190112_034736.png (216x294, 100K)

It's a Jow Forums thing.

Do "12 month" contact lenses account for 12 months of actual use or do they degrade on their own? Also are there any reliable places online to order lenses worldwide?

What's the difference between PCI-E revision and the number of PCI-E lanes a cpu supports?

Does anyone else think that Jow Forums has become toxic and aggressive recently?

Jow Forums wasn’t like this years ago, people were much nicer

I'm also from southeast Europe and everyone I know watched Dragon Ball and Pokemon growing up, and I know plenty of more "initiated" dudes who watch more advanced stuff

more lanes -> more fast
new revision -> faster per lane

$board has always been shit.

So I just fell for the ophcrack meme.
>need to get the admin password without resetting the current one
>have only 1 unburnt CD left
>decide to use ophcrack
>no tables detected
>hash gives nothing in all "decrypt" sites
End my suffering, intelliganons.

Attached: wife.png (1894x1313, 663K)

>toxic
Nice buzzword faggot please kill yourself

>Dragon Ball and Pokemon
Okay, that's basic and it ran on TV while we were kids so I get it. But no one except heavily antisocial nerds with super narrow interests actually continued with it into their 20s. Is Jow Forums mostly teenagers now?

Attached: 1546902886787.jpg (602x709, 67K)

a spider decided to die in right in the middle of my monitor. how can i remove this? dell s2715h. if it were around the edge, i thought about using suction cup to open a cap and pull it out, but its literally in the middle. do i need to take it to a service center?

>
Okay so Ubuntu can run raid z do I need any special hardware or two external harddrives is fine?

Am I gimping myself by using a CPU that only supports a max of 16 PCI-E lanes?

You mean ZFS? No, raidz is software raid. You just need the drives for it.

Okay thanks for the help user

good sites to buy used hardware?

It's an "I'm a pedophile" thing.
Back to /a/ eurotrash.
You too.

my computer occasionally makes a noise that sounds like a camera shutter going off
the noise occurs regardless of what programs i have running and regardless of speakers being plugged in, as the sound is coming from the case itself
what the fuck is it and how do i make it stop

clean all hardware containing fans, thats most likely the problem

I have a shitty tablet/laptop (insignia flex 11.6), it's basically a win 10 tablet with a keyboard dock, for some reason 1 week ago the fucker doesn't respond anymore if I unplug the charger while the keyboard is connected (no response from the keys, the trackboard, an external mouse and the leds from the dock also turn off), the battery normally holds like 5 hours of charge so it probably isn't that and the tablet also works if I remove the keyboard but if I put them together it just doesn't respond, has anyone seen anything like this?

System restore and updating windows didn't do shit either

Attached: images.jpg (350x350, 20K)

It's the NSA taking pics with your webcam, cover it up.

i bet you have a hdd and not a ssd
ask me how i know

how do i switch between tiled and floating windows in bspwm? super + h/j/k/l doesn't work

i have both

hardware is brand new, just checked and there isnt a single obstruction in any of the fans and no dust

cracked.com/personal-experiences-2584-how-simple-contact-lens-mishap-can-destroy-your-eyeball.html

if i upgraded my 4 bay nas with new drives, put them in raid5, let the unit check the drives and raid volume, then wrote about 5tb of data to them over a few days (over 10 year old unit, sloooooooow), are the drives unlikely to die a premature death and its probably safe to go ahead and remove the data i backed up to it to free up the space i wanted?
>pic quite related

Attached: 95C9ED1AF8BA4597855A71488472956E.png (310x350, 157K)

good job you made mustard gas

Wife needs a laptop for college, but she also wants to play some video games on it, anything worthwhile around 1200?

The bell curve is still relatively high for the first couple months of use, but there's always some chance of a drive dying or the array corrupting all the drives simultaneously. As long as you have at least two independent copies of the data (the raid only counts as one), then you don't have anything to worry about.

what kind of games we talkin, factorio and minecraft or gta5 and black ops 4? because if its the former, anything from 600-800 with a dedicated babby gpu will do (ie soldered to mobo, no mxm). if its the latter, then youre going to be in gaymur territory and the battery life will suffer greatly depending on what you get, not so good for class use.

for example, i used to have an $1800 clevo with a 5 or 6th gen i7 and gtx 970m and it would run nearly any game at max or near max settings at a solid 50-60 fps, but the battery life when doing nothing but web surfing was 3 hours in full battery miser mode. also the power supply is as big as a red masonry brick, and weighs just as much... not kidding. on the flip side, i currently have a $500 acer with an 8th gen i5 and mx150 and it plays old source games at max settings at 60 fps no sweat and still gets 6-8 hours of browsing life with normal power settings.

but if youre dead set on 1000-1200 and you dont want a fagbook, id look at a zenbook (idk on gaming capabilities) or msi gaymur laptop. something with a gtx10** or something installed would be enough for medium gaming, or an mx150 for light gaming and more battery life.

i was thinking of buying a second unit and set of drives and having it back up my backup, the software has the capability for similar units to talk to eachother and share info or work as backup units which is nice. maybe when i have a spare couple bucks (about $400 of them) ill set another one up.

What's the difference between a bootloader partition and a boot partition? Are they both required to start the system?

She wants to play wow with me but also plays fallout so I guess gaymer territory, I know the battery won’t be huge but her classes aren’t too long

good alternative to google images?

I downloaded a PDF of a scanned magazine. How can I extract the image files from it on Linux?

Yandex Images

hey Jow Forums

It's been a long time, but I used to lurk her profusely.

Anyone have any guidance for a Windows Drive/Partition/volume that was accidentally "deleted"?

I was working with my drives, using the Disk Management Utility, and accidentally selected "Delete Volume" on my games disk. I've used Recuva and another software to verify the data still exists on the disk, but I can't re-mount it in Windows. I'm not sure, but I think the drive header data was deleted when I deleted the volume.

Any suggestions on how to recover the data? I plan to give a linux live USB a try, but wanted to get anyone's suggestions before I start going down that rabbit hole.

TL;DR - user deleted a volume in disk management and needs to get the data back from that disk.

Self-bump

Attached: 3d00u0w862b21.jpg (1125x700, 96K)

Does anyone know of a way to unlock a Tracfone other than doing their contract for a year? I don't get their service out here and I already have an AT&T contract, this is the only other phone I have and they're refusing to unlock it. Is there anything I can do? It's an iPhone SE.

how can i tell in advance if its gonna be a fart or a shit

Make yourself burp so you're not so gassy. Even if it's a shit don't take chances.

If I have two hard drives for my PC, one with Windows and one with Ubuntu, is there anyway to open and use the Ubuntu one while still being in windows or visa versa?

I want to edit and play with the Ubuntu one to get familiar but don't want to constantly be restarting and switching all the time when I want to do something in the other system. Maybe like hooking the hard drive to virtual box?

How can I determine the concurrent user capacity of a website I don't own?

Aside from a "stress test".

You can't; farting is life's biggest gamble.

Attached: .png (420x294, 43K)

I don't think it's possible to boot a VirtualBox VM from another hard disk. I think it needs to boot the VM from a VDI/VHD.

Why not just run Linux in a VM for your Linux work? That's what I do. You could direct Virtualbox to store your VMs and VHD/VDI files on that other hard disk currently being used for the Linux OS.

what gpu temps are panic level? my idle is 50c for some reason and that doesnt seem right

When I opened my windows laptop network window I noticed a device listed under "Computer" that I did not recognize. One "Computer" row showed me my 3 computer devices that are usually listed on my network. This device was in it's own "Computer" row. When I clicked on Properties and it showed me that it was a Mediatek MT53XX and gave me a mac address. I live in an apartment complex alone and I am the only person who has my wifi password. I tried looking up Mediatek MT53XX and what I could find was "High-performance ARM Cortex CPU/GPU". When I searched Mediatek on my other laptop the "Mediatek Computer" disappeared from my network window.
mediatek.com/products/digitalTv/mt5396
I also have my Samsung S4 connected to the wifi but I don't see it listed on my laptop network window.
Does anyone have a guess as to what this "Computer" might be and why it would disappear? I don't know much about mac addresses. Is there anything I can do with a mac address if it pops up again to find out more info?

Attached: hack-MediaTek-mobile.png (728x380, 121K)

I use my computer for mostly image editing, art and browsing. I also play video games rather casually.
Currently I have one 4k/IPS/60hz screen and nothing else. For my second monitor, should I go for 4k/IPS or IPS/144hz? I'd like to stick with IPS for image fidelity. 144hz would be nice for games, but it's either that or 4k, which is admittedly convenient. That said, I don't know whether or not having two 4k screens is useful for anyone.

Attached: 1522298201037.png (258x282, 52K)

I'm going to be getting a smaller computer from some one else and was going to transfer the hard drive with Ubuntu over to that one so I wanted to use and save my changes I make to the hard drive so it's exactly where I left off when it gets its own machine.

I'm going to need Security+ certification a while from now (probably around September or so).
I'm not totally computer-illiterate but I know hardly anything about networking. Sometimes after a router firmware update I Google what settings to change to make my connection faster or more stable. I've opened Wireshark a few times and closed it after a few minutes of confusion. This is about the extent of my knowledge in networking. How do I study for Security+? Do I need Network+ first? A+? Programming? I'm pretty lost here.
>tl;dr how do I go from nothing to Security+ exam ready?

Panic levels are generally 90+, and 100 is typically the automatic shutdown level. If you're idling at 50 with the fans off that's great. If the fans are on I would set their activation temperature a bit higher to save them in the long run. I may be biased from the MSI 6950 I used to have (Twin Frozr II fan life was notoriously bad). I recommend 60ish.

>50 is normal
if Jow Forums says so then so it must be
still weird that cpus literally fucking melt at 80 though and general use gpus can get 75 and take no damage

Attached: 1529374492203.gif (380x238, 1.92M)

I mean that's all well and good, but if you currently have only the one array as your backup, or worse yet the only copy of some data, you absolutely should prioritize getting an independent copy going. Raid isn't bad, unless it's keeping you from actual redundancy which is VERY important. Divide up the drives you currently have between different devices, and when you have the $400 you can consider adding raid.

how do I get a gf

Check your power settings and see if you have it set to turning your hdd off after 20 minutes.

I want to download the image from sammlung.staedelmuseum.de/de/werk/landschaft-mit-kanone-die-grosse-kanone

Yet anything I do, be it wether google cache, website information or source I can only get the 1024 width version out of it, not the original one you see when you fully zoom in.

How the fuck is this done? How can I get the original image?

uMatrix assets/lists won't update when I tell it to. Been like this for a month or more. Shows a broken red link next to all of them. I'm on latest stable version on latest stable FF. How do I fix this?

Security+ is easy, bro. I passed it when I was a noob IT helpdesk guy.

If you can get certmaster, do that. It'll help you pass.

Beyond that, watch youtube training for Security+. most of the content is common sense anyways.

My creds:
net+
sec+
cysa+
MCSA Azure/Windows
Microsoft Security MTA

nvm solved

Do you get a notification of some sort when your Ubuntu LTS is no longer supported?

I would say reset to default settings and then consider a browser refresh, although you'd really be better off just using the lists in ublock.

Is someone spying on me?

Planning on getting a monitor so I use my laptop's monitor plus an external monitor as a second one.

I'm wondering how much pressure my graphic card will take and whether if it'll be able to handle it?
My laptop runs a GTX 950M.

I could run 2 games no problem currently, like Runescape and Rocket League at the same time, although I have to alt tab back and forth constantly, hence why I'm getting a second monitor.

I'm not sure how much resource the GPU will need to handle when supporting a second monitor, so any inputs would help.

Need tech support for anyone interested;
Some windowed apps like discord and slack are sometimes blurry all over, not just the text. It's like something is trying to overlay it like steam does, but I tried disabling it and discord and the same problem happens.
On windows10 if that helps.

Be funny, dress nicely and most importantly leave the house

sidehustleschool.com/podcasts
how can i subscribe to this podcast without using the fucking itunes/spotify shit?

rather just use VLC like i do with other podcasts

but the link won't "just work"

Attached: 1544761785983.jpg (643x653, 313K)

Go into properties and disable this

Attached: 0EM30000000R1kY.png (536x622, 23K)

I don't see a setting exactly like that, but I'm trying the first one to see if it helps.

Attached: Capture.png (405x927, 35K)

Neither helped.

nevermind...

on the 6th page of the googlemachine i found
podbay.fm/show/1188487073
from there, i just click "OPEN RSS FEED" and used that link to subscribe in VLC.

but NOW there's a new problem...

the play order is all fucked up

how to force VLC to count in normal mode rather than crazy computer mode?

Attached: Annotation 2019-01-20 014047.jpg (129x443, 34K)

Cemu use to have a function to double the speed with frame skipping or something but it's not present in the current testing build?

While I'm playing a game the videos I have playing in firefox (twitch, youtube, etc) always stop playing but the audio is still going. Anyone got a clue how I can fix this? Don't wanna go back to chrome.

Please buy a YouTube Red subscription to continue playing videos in the background

its stupid questions, not stupid responses

Here on Jow Forums you get two for one

>hows the name of the type for these?
>is there any way to connect to of these cables without rudimentary knoting them together and overlaying them with a duct tape or melting them together?

Attached: conrad-components-601800-lautsprecherkabel-2-x-165-mm-rot-schwarz-30-m.jpg (520x281, 9K)

it's the cable for speakers if that was not visible from the picture.

Will try the reset option. I only activate those assets in uMatrix instead of uBlock Origin because I read it in multiple places, maybe even from gorhill himself.

Are win10 LTSB generally ok for a stable OS or are there any hickups I should be aware about due to them not being the standard version and not getting frequent updates? How about gaming on them? Any issues?

i guess this is something i'd be loking for.
can someone confirm?

Attached: 617Eqqq1xiL._SL1200_.jpg (1200x1200, 86K)

can I replace the photo gallery program for windows 10? if so what's a good one?

Updates fine on default, but not when I restore from backup, fuck.

>knows about ophcrack
>but doesn't know he needs hash tables to use it
pebkac

velma > daphne
fite me

How the heck do I import a library from a .jar file in a java program? Google answers just talk about doing this in some IDE.
I know I can unzip the .jar, but there must be a better way to do this.

What's the best custom ROM for Android?

Extra monitor is basically no overhead at all. Running two games at once would be harsh but runescape and rocket league aren't exactly Crysis when it comes to GPU usage.

Stock + Rooted kernel.

Not even meming, with Xposed modules these days there's barely any point in using an entire custom ROM.

Depends on the revision and usage.

fugginBump

>there's barely any point in using an entire custom ROM
Well, in my case, because Google isn't supporting my N5X any longer, I'm not getting Android Pie officially. That's why I'm wondering what the best custom ROM is, to get Android Pie.

Oh. well, LineageOS is bascially the only one with a real team behind it. Most of the other ones like CarbonROM seem like shitty hacks to me.

I'm SSH tunneling like this

My machine > intermediate machine > server

If I'm running an application on the server that's accessed by localhost:port, how do I access that on my machine?

That's what I've been thinking too. I've been looking through XDA these past months to keep track of custom ROM development. After all the time after Pie released, there have been a few ROMs where people have been saying are stable. LineageOS does seem to be the only one that has a real team and provides consistent updates. I'm just not sure which ROM to trust.

ssh user@intermediate -L1080:server:80
this makes "server:80" available on "localhost:1080"

ssh -L

Thanks

How do I explain to customers why the realistic/usable capacity of digital storage (hard drives, flash drives, SD cards, etc.) is actually less than their advertised capacity? I've had several customers complain that their 64GB card is actually 59.6GB when they plug it into their computer, or that their 16GB flash drive is actually 14.8GB.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty dumb, but I'm expected to have an answer for people who are even dumber than me. I've personally accepted this reality without question, but others aren't so readily willing.

Because windows explorer shows you Gibibyte (1GiB = 1024MiB) wrongly labeled as Gigabyte where as the product boxes show actual Gigabyte (1GB = 1000MB).
There should be a fine print on the box somewhere saying that 1GB = 1000MB or something.

Basically, storage manufacturers use the wrong numbers to make it look bigger and windows shows it wrong too.
There's an article somewhere that I can't find now that Microsoft can't just change it because people are dumb and get confused otherwise.

We got buttfucked when SI accepted KB=1000B and named a new unit prefix KiB=1024B. Windows still calls it KB.